Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your earliest memory

+13
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Rekz
Impedimenta
indophile
Maria S
garam_kuta
Captain Bhankas
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
Seva Lamberdar
Merlot Daruwala
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is your earliest memory - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your earliest memory

Post by Impedimenta Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:30 pm

attempt 2:
i had fish yesterday and i did not even realise it.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Impedimenta wrote:attempt 2:
So how and when did you realize it?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Good. How can you not realize it? What kind? How much you had? How did it taste?

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Ekadasi wrote:

Good. How can you not realize it? What kind? How much you had? How did it taste?

fish tastes like fish i reckon..except when it tastes like chicken

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Thanks Indo for the info. (especially about the guy being EE Prof. in IIT).

Based on the earlier posts between you and Uppil (IIT KGP prof. long ago taking a job in Australia and then ending up with GM in Detroit), I was beginning to think that this prof. could be the ME prof. who taught our class a course on engines & Thermo. in late 1960s and then migrated to Australia taking a teaching job there. He also could have (based on his expertise in IC engines etc.) ended up in Detroit at GM, I thought.
I know the IIT-KGP professor you are talking about too. He retired about 9 years ago from U.S. Army's Harry Diamond labs.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:10 pm

indophile wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:Thanks Indo for the info. (especially about the guy being EE Prof. in IIT).

Based on the earlier posts between you and Uppil (IIT KGP prof. long ago taking a job in Australia and then ending up with GM in Detroit), I was beginning to think that this prof. could be the ME prof. who taught our class a course on engines & Thermo. in late 1960s and then migrated to Australia taking a teaching job there. He also could have (based on his expertise in IC engines etc.) ended up in Detroit at GM, I thought.
I know the IIT-KGP professor you are talking about too. He retired about 9 years ago from U.S. Army's Harry Diamond labs.

What's his name? I can't remember his name now (was a fantastic teacher, thermo and IC engines).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Saamiyaar,

Based on the IIT professor's bio-data, I guess your age to be 40.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Rishi wrote:Saamiyaar,

You just stepped into samiyaar's age net trap. He might have said the same story about his grandson, and then you would be guessing his grandson is 40.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
indophile wrote:

What's his name? I can't remember his name now (was a fantastic teacher, thermo and IC engines).
If I say KDSR does it ring a bell? That's his old name. He sort of changed the orientation of his name now.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Ekadasi wrote:

fish tastes like fish i reckon..except when it tastes like chicken

"as for the subject matter of this discussion
itself, i refuse to engage with you because i do not think you have
honest intentions, but an agenda" - maxentropyman to douchemun aka
rashmun on topic of origins of language, art forms etc.

Boy ! as profound as it could be, for a moment i was shattered and a lil' worried by the lack of profanity/hatred until i read the signature quote...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 pm

indophile wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
indophile wrote:

If I say KDSR does it ring a bell? That's his old name. He sort of changed the orientation of his name now.

It was a typical SI name (can't recall it now). Anyway, it's not all that importnat to reveal it here. I am glad you know the guy I am talking about.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm

my earliest memories are from the age of about four, perhaps three.

i hated to go to school. at the beginning, my father had to carry me bodily to the car and drive me to school. i was four. i remembered the peculiar class-room smell - probably of chalk - of that convent school for many years. for some unfathomable reason, it made me apprehensive. i don't recall that smell any more, but only have a memory of remembering it.

i remember my paternal grandfather sitting on the verandah with me early in the morning and teaching me mathematics. we used a slate and slate-pencils. his fingers would shake. it was very quiet, for there was neither pedestrian nor vehicular traffic on the streets at the sides of the house. we lived in the woods.

i remember a visit or two to my grandparets' house in the village of maramon, kerala, before the death of my grandmother, and before the house was closed down, and my g'father came to live with us in madras.

the farmers would show me around the rice and sugarcane fields. i remember the pineapple-plant hedges around the fields, and the pepper vines that climbed the poles planted at the corners. on those visits, i also remember eating large, fresh, slices of coconut with brown molasses, and biting and sucking on sticks of sugarcane from our fields.

at my mother's home in kottayam, on the bank of a river, i remember the continuous noise that the children attending a koranic school a quarter mile away made as they memorized and recited in unison the verses of the koran.

and i remember fishing all day in that river with the children of my g'father's farmhand, whose names i still remember: chellappan, maNi, sukumaran, and gopinathan. maNi was my friend. we made fishing rods and lines together from natural materials. he was the technical expert.

my mother and my two siblings and i visited kottayam once a year from madras. my mother was the only daughter in a family of six siblings. on the first day of her visit, the farmer's wife, who would also do occasional chores in the house, would visit and talk to my mother, nearly continuously, for about three hours, probably about children and other home affairs.

in kottayam, i also remember standing by a professional artist for hours and watching him paint a large, oil-paint portrait of my uncle, from a photagraph, a year or so after he died at a young age.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Rishi wrote:Saamiyaar,

hahahaha... You think I did not think about the possibility of SUCHers "crunching" out inferences out of the info I provided?

I could be repeating (claiming) these stories originally stated by my siblings or uncles or cousins..... Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:41 pm

1) i must have been 5. We had an "oonjal" right in front of our "thinnai" in our very traditional mylapore home. My dad pushed me on the oonjal as he sat on the thinnai wearing a white shirt and white veshti while i recited some poem about spring and flowers. My mom walked in from her music recital and i remember leaping from the oonjal directly to the thinnai to greet her.

2)I was 8 maybe. chitra vishweswaran was performing in bharathi vidya bhavan. I was walking back from school in my school uniform and this was on my way. It was a ticketed program and obviously, i did not have a ticket. So i took my book and pencilbox out and told the guard outside that i had "hindi class" and went right in and sat for most of the show, in the first row!!! My mom and relatives were scared out of their wits because i was no where to be found for almost 1.5 hours.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Impedimenta wrote:1) i must have been 5. We had an "oonjal" right in front of our "thinnai" in our very traditional mylapore home. My dad pushed me on the oonjal as he sat on the thinnai wearing a white shirt and white veshti while i recited some poem about spring and flowers. My mom walked in from her music recital and i remember leaping from the oonjal directly to the thinnai to greet her.

2)I was 8 maybe. chitra vishweswaran was performing in bharathi vidya bhavan. I was walking back from school in my school uniform and this was on my way. It was a ticketed program and obviously, i did not have a ticket. So i took my book and pencilbox out and told the guard outside that i had "hindi class" and went right in and sat for most of the show, in the first row!!! My mom and relatives were scared out of their wits because i was no where to be found for almost 1.5 hours.

aiyo pAvam kondhey- idhuvey oru mile irukkumae ! athaiyum thAndi dhinOm amaAm dhooram nadandhukinu pOchcha?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks Indo ... I think he is the guy (KDSR), last name starting with S (I am slowly remembering the last name which we used to address him as).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Impedimenta wrote:1) i must have been 5. We had an "oonjal" right in front of our "thinnai" in our very traditional mylapore home. My dad pushed me on the oonjal as he sat on the thinnai wearing a white shirt and white veshti while i recited some poem about spring and flowers. My mom walked in from her music recital and i remember leaping from the oonjal directly to the thinnai to greet her.

Hope you have many more memories of those times and you either recorded them or wrote them out for you to cherish in the future, with your children.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm

beautiful memories both.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:20 pm

different topic, but many of my recent dreams have featured both sets of grandparents (all deceased). i wonder why.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:my earliest memories are from the age of about four, perhaps three.

i hated to go to school. at the beginning, my father had to carry me bodily to the car and drive me to school. i was four. i remembered the peculiar class-room smell - probably of chalk - of that convent school for many years. for some unfathomable reason, it made me apprehensive. i don't recall that smell any more, but only have a memory of remembering it.

i remember my paternal grandfather sitting on the verandah with me early in the morning and teaching me mathematics. we used a slate and slate-pencils. his fingers would shake. it was very quiet, for there was neither pedestrian nor vehicular traffic on the streets at the sides of the house. we lived in the woods.

i remember a visit or two to my grandparets' house in the village of maramon, kerala, before the death of my grandmother, and before the house was closed down, and my g'father came to live with us in madras.

the farmers would show me around the rice and sugarcane fields. i remember the pineapple-plant hedges around the fields, and the pepper vines that climbed the poles planted at the corners. on those visits, i also remember eating large, fresh, slices of coconut with brown molasses, and biting and sucking on sticks of sugarcane from our fields.

at my mother's home in kottayam, on the bank of a river, i remember the continuous noise that the children attending a koranic school a quarter mile away made as they memorized and recited in unison the verses of the koran.

and i remember fishing all day in that river with the children of my g'father's farmhand, whose names i still remember: chellappan, maNi, sukumaran, and gopinathan. maNi was my friend. we made fishing rods and lines together from natural materials. he was the technical expert.

my mother and my two siblings and i visited kottayam once a year from madras. my mother was the only daughter in a family of six siblings. on the first day of her visit, the farmer's wife, who would also do occasional chores in the house, would visit and talk to my mother, nearly continuously, for about three hours, probably about children and other home affairs.

in kottayam, i also remember standing by a professional artist for hours and watching him paint a large, oil-paint portrait of my uncle, from a photagraph, a year or so after he died at a young age.

evocative...and nicely visualizable. thanks.

ps. mentioning typo in last line, only because you are punctilious.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:different topic, but many of my recent dreams have featured both sets of grandparents (all deceased). i wonder why.

a. thanatos
b. worries about your legacy
c. preservation of 'way of life' in light of erosion

Smile I was just thinking aloud.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:35 pm

>>>Hey, I dodged tilapia yesterday. The universe is a funny place. Things always even out Smile
P.s. What is this 'laddu' business? Some inside joke or something?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:my earliest memories are from the age of about four, perhaps three.

Looks like u had a very interesting childhood...fishing in the river hmmm i want to do fishing this summer
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:17 am

rekzu - fishing looks so boring. and besides, are you not in chennai? enga ma fish pannuva? koovathilaya? you will find only human bodies.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 am

Kris wrote:
>>>Hey, I dodged tilapia yesterday. The universe is a funny place. Things always even out Smile

i was told i ate fish. I had no clue but it tasted good. I did not want to hear anything more because i just wanted to remember the taste. she said she will cook that for me next time as well. maybe then, i'll ask her what it exactly was that i had on sunday. what i don't know cannot kill me. right?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 am

Sleep Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Sleep Sleep

rofl lol! clap Laughing Laughing

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:44 am

Impedimenta wrote:rekzu - fishing looks so boring. and besides, are you not in chennai? enga ma fish pannuva? koovathilaya? you will find only human bodies.

Chennaile how can we do fishing ma...will go to JM's place Kottayam Smile Kerala backwaters...never done that impy so wanted to do something different...fishing bore adicha...will row a boat Razz
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:11 am

Kris wrote:

Kanna ! Rendu Laddu thinna Asaiyaa?

(Cadbury's ad)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2