Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

in memory of Bal Thakeray

+4
ashdoc
MaxEntropy_Man
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Kayalvizhi
8 posters

Go down

in memory of Bal Thakeray Empty in memory of Bal Thakeray

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:11 pm

http://www.tamiltribune.com/10/0501.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

in memory of Bal Thakeray Empty Re: in memory of Bal Thakeray

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Looks like Thakeray will join butcher Prabhakaran in the frying pan! Hindian Yamadoots must be happy.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:06 pm

I can understand the agony of Bal Thakerey and other Maharashtrians.
My brother, a telugu, has settled down in Chennai. He and my SIL are pretty fluent in tamil. The same can't be said about people of other regions living in Mumbai or Bangaluru or Hyderabad. They don't care to learn the local language and have utter disregard for the local language. One is actually looked down upon when one speaks the local language. So naturally, a simmering discontent starts brewing in the local people and it bursts out with the help of the regional and linguistic leaders once in a while. I feel it's going to explode sometime soon in B'lore too. All states should be like TN, aggressive in promoting their language and forcing outsiders in their state to learn the language. Continued aggression is better than passiveness, continued simmering discontent and then sudden bursts of anger. That's toxic.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:10 pm

wow! unbelievably twisted loony analogy. living in TN and facing the pressures of having to learn the local language, something you'd face say if you were to move to japan, france, or romania is not the same as fearing for your life because you are a migrant to a new city!

the very first time i ever heard of anyone facing physical threats in chennai on account of being a migrant happened earlier this year to some northindian laborers. people were thoroughly shocked when that happened. it is certainly an aberration in a city with a long history of migrants from other places. that's not the same as the systematic and prolonged pogroms that the shiva sena undertook in the 60s and 70s against tamilians in bombay.

commiserating with bal thackeray and his brand of thuggery is the same as sympathizing with red neck americans who decry the loss of american jobs to immigrants, and that includes white collar IT immigrants from india who probably constitute a good portion of the population of this board.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:wow! unbelievably twisted loony analogy. living in TN and facing the pressures of having to learn the local language, something you'd face say if you were to move to japan, france, or romania is not the same as fearing for your life because you are a migrant to a new city!

the very first time i ever heard of anyone facing physical threats in chennai on account of being a migrant happened earlier this year to some northindian laborers. people were thoroughly shocked when that happened. it is certainly an aberration in a city with a long history of migrants from other places. that's not the same as the systematic and prolonged pogroms that the shiva sena undertook in the 60s and 70s against tamilians in bombay.

the moment you land in chennai , if you speak hindi the auto fare goes up like anything Laughing nothing of that sort happens in mumbai . hatred for hindi is deeply embedded in tamil nadu to the extent that i have been warned that i will be illtreated by tamils if i speak hindi even though i am not a hindian but a marathi . no going to tamil nadu for me .

but i . a proud marathi , have no problem in speaking hindi . seperatists divididing the nation like kayalvizhi dont exist among the marathis .

you howl against marathis of mumbai but the moment chennai is critisized for far more valid reasons , it gets your goat doesnt it .

the north indian god ram is humiliated by being garlanded with chappalls in chennai, but i suppose you got an explaination for that too eh..... Laughing

and south indians never feared for their lives in mumbai for they were not killed , so dont exaggagerate.....

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 pm

There is a difference between fighting for the rights of people and thuggery. Bal t. may have started with a real grievance but his later organization is undemocratic anti Indian organization. There are several such pockets of thug organizations including laloo y, owaisi's MIM in hyd, factional groups in ap etc. but no one reached the commanding heights that bal t scaled. He was a king maker in the financial center of India. He was bad news when he was alive. One can only hope Mumbai becomes more open to all Indians.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:wow! unbelievably twisted loony analogy. living in TN and facing the pressures of having to learn the local language, something you'd face say if you were to move to japan, france, or romania is not the same as fearing for your life because you are a migrant to a new city!

commiserating with bal thackeray and his brand of thuggery is the same as sympathizing with red neck americans who decry the loss of american jobs to immigrants, and that includes white collar IT immigrants from india who probably constitute a good portion of the population of this board.

Max, u took it in a very negative sense. What i am saying is that ppl of other states shld be like tamilians in TN. It's better to be like that than be passive and build up the resentment until it bursts. Be strict abt having ppl of others regions settling in their state to learn the local language. Leave them no option but to learn the local language. My SIL's cook in chennai was from bangladesh (prolly an illegal immigrant). Even she could speak in tamil fluently. Such a thing is not seen in other regions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 pm

kinnera wrote:

Max, u took it in a very negative sense. What i am saying is that ppl of other states shld be like tamilians in TN. It's better to be like that than be passive and build up the resentment until it bursts. Be strict abt having ppl of others regions settling in their state to learn the local language. Leave them no option but to learn the local language. My SIL's cook in chennai was from bangladesh (prolly an illegal immigrant). Even she could speak in tamil fluently. Such a thing is not seen in other regions.

In fact Tamils have started learning Hindi in large numbers and are many of them are more than happy to talk to North Indians in Hindi. Admit it: your support for bal Thackeray is because he was indulging in Muslim bashing (even though his own doctor who saved his life on five different occasions was a Muslim). Admit it openly that you are communal and that you dislike Muslims. Doing so will help you feel better.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Rashmun,
Your propensity to jump to conclusion is breathtaking in its stupidity. People you are interacting with are smart and multi dimensional. They arrive at their views after some consideration. Any one with common sense understands different people reach different conclusions when presented with the same data.
You really need to learn how to read others comments and draw inferences from them. A sample of one is not a proof.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:00 pm

[quote="Rashmun"][quote="kinnera"]

In fact Tamils have started learning Hindi in large numbers and are many of them are more than happy to talk to North Indians in Hindi. Admit it: your support for bal Thackeray is because he was indulging in Muslim bashing (even though his own doctor who saved his life on five different occasions was a Muslim). Admit it openly that you are communal and that you dislike Muslims. Doing so will help you feel better.

That muslim doctor became one bcz of Hindu India's largesse, and that doctor should thank hindus.

First accept that you are a Hindi fanatic, Muslim worshiper, casteist, self-proclaimed Brahmin racist.

Then comes everything.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 pm

kinnera wrote:I can understand the agony of Bal Thakerey and other Maharashtrians.
My brother, a telugu, has settled down in Chennai. He and my SIL are pretty fluent in tamil. The same can't be said about people of other regions living in Mumbai or Bangaluru or Hyderabad. They don't care to learn the local language and have utter disregard for the local language. One is actually looked down upon when one speaks the local language. So naturally, a simmering discontent starts brewing in the local people and it bursts out with the help of the regional and linguistic leaders once in a while. I feel it's going to explode sometime soon in B'lore too. All states should be like TN, aggressive in promoting their language and forcing outsiders in their state to learn the language. Continued aggression is better than passiveness, continued simmering discontent and then sudden bursts of anger. That's toxic.

Going by your analogy, All Telugus living in Hyderabad should speak only in Telangana Dialect (this doesn't apply to 30-35% of Muslim population of course) and KCR is 100% correct with his agenda and his acts of destroying any property name that has prefix "Andhra"

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:I can understand the agony of Bal Thakerey and other Maharashtrians.

Going by your analogy, All Telugus living in Hyderabad should speak only in Telangana Dialect (this doesn't apply to 30-35% of Muslim population of course) and KCR is 100% correct with his agenda and his acts of destroying any property name that has prefix "Andhra"

Excellent point. Kinny is extremely hostile to KCR and the telangana movement. She should show some consistency and should stop remaining in a confused state of mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Rashmun,
Wrong again. Language is not the same as dialect of a language. All states have different dialects and it is generally agreed each dialect should be preserved. It is also common sense that dialect does not hinder communication like a language difference. Confused was confused and you boarded On a confused wagon since you have no clue.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:53 pm

in memory of bal thackeray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zKbJWl9nW4
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:56 pm

truthbetold wrote:Rashmun,
Wrong again. Language is not the same as dialect of a language. All states have different dialects and it is generally agreed each dialect should be preserved. It is also common sense that dialect does not hinder communication like a language difference. Confused was confused and you boarded On a confused wagon since you have no clue.

TBT, there is no difference between the two, it is only in our minds, underlying cause or the goal of both agendas is exactly the same "You're alien in my land and taking my jobs away"

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:01 pm

The discussion is about difficulties in communication due to language barrier.
You are correct in characterizing bal t and OCR motives but that does not make a dialect the same as a language.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 pm

truthbetold wrote:The discussion is about difficulties in communication due to language barrier.
You are correct in characterizing bal t and OCR motives but that does not make a dialect the same as a language.

All bombayites know Hindi. In fact the Hindi film industry is based out of Bombay. So it is not a question of difficulties in communication but of regional chauvinism.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 pm

kinnera wrote:

i still maintain that you are conflating two separate issues -- language and the rights of migrants from other states to expect a safe environment to make a living. tamilians may be intransigent about language related issues, but i don't ever remember in my years of living in india that migrants from other states faced threats to their physical safety in TN. that is unacceptable under any circumstances.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:07 pm

truthbetold wrote:The discussion is about difficulties in communication due to language barrier.

No, the discussion was about a regionalist.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

No, the discussion was about a regionalist.

yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:54 am

The thread was about regionalist. But what linear wrote about is the need for learning local language. This is a common sense requirement around world and in many places enforced by law. Confused implication that is same as learning a dialect of the language is an untenable extension of a widely held view. I donot support neither OCR nor bal t. There are similarities in their regional thuggery. But let us not confuse language learning in a new state or country with acquiring new dialect of the same state.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am

truthbetold wrote:The thread was about regionalist. But what linear wrote about is the need for learning local language. This is a common sense requirement around world and in many places enforced by law. Confused implication that is same as learning a dialect of the language is an untenable extension of a widely held view. I donot support neither OCR nor bal t. There are similarities in their regional thuggery. But let us not confuse language learning in a new state or country with acquiring new dialect of the same state.

What is the need for learning Marathi in Bombay whe everyone knows Hindi? Even the Hindi film industry is based in Bombay?
If everyone in Bombay should know Marathi to promote local culture than everyone in Hyderabad should speak telangana Telugu which is very different from the Telugu spoken in other parts of AP because of the presence of a large number of Urdu words in its vocabulary.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:48 am

truthbetold wrote:The thread was about regionalist. But what linear wrote about is the need for learning local language. This is a common sense requirement around world and in many places enforced by law. Confused implication that is same as learning a dialect of the language is an untenable extension of a widely held view. I donot support neither OCR nor bal t. There are similarities in their regional thuggery. But let us not confuse language learning in a new state or country with acquiring new dialect of the same state.

We're saying the same thing; Where I differ is on the notion of learning local language; you're not doing anyone a favor by learning the local language but yourself. If one chooses to live in another region ones chances of survival are much better when he/she learns the dominant language of that locale. Case in point, many folks that migrated to Hyd from other regions of A.P had to learn Urdu/get familiarized with Telangana dialect to survive on a day-to-day basis. Folks that migrate to cosmopolitan cities like Mumbai & Hyd can survive without learning the official state language only if they are familiar with one of the other dominant languages of the region(Hindi/Urdu), not sure you can call it disregard for official state language (after all states came into existence in the last 60 or so years) or change that overnight; rather than forcing through undemocratic means shall be allowed to run its natural course.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:24 pm

truthbetold wrote:One can only hope Mumbai becomes more open to all Indians.

Being open to immigrants is one thing but it is another thing when immigrants demand that local citizens use the immigrant's language. There is a major difference.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm

[quote="kinnera]
What i am saying is that ppl of other states shld be like tamilians in TN. It's better to be like that than be passive and build up the resentment until it bursts. Be strict abt having ppl of others regions settling in their state to learn the local language. Leave them no option but to learn the local language. My SIL's cook in chennai was from bangladesh (prolly an illegal immigrant). Even she could speak in tamil fluently. Such a thing is not seen in other regions.[/quote]

Unfortunately, it is not true. Recent Hindi immigrants do not learn Tamil. Something should be done about it.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:[quote="kinnera]
What i am saying is that ppl of other states shld be like tamilians in TN. It's better to be like that than be passive and build up the resentment until it bursts. Be strict abt having ppl of others regions settling in their state to learn the local language. Leave them no option but to learn the local language. My SIL's cook in chennai was from bangladesh (prolly an illegal immigrant). Even she could speak in tamil fluently. Such a thing is not seen in other regions.

Unfortunately, it is not true. Recent Hindi immigrants do not learn Tamil. Something should be done about it.[/quote]

we need a newer generation kattabomman to take care of this. he'll be like a superhero: mild mannered bank manager or teacher during the day and a masked avenger and dispenser of justice at night, descending like silent plague upon these hindi migrants in their hovels and shanty towns as they plot their anti-tamil activities after the unsuspecting world around them has fallen asleep and forcing them to learn tamil and appreciating various living breathing arts of the south. then only can justice be served.

you know of any character that can do this?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down