Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

+32
Obnoxious
Tejpal Singh Iyer
michelle2
noisy_dravidfan
b_A
Idéfix
Jebediah Mburuburu
churi.
Bittu
Another Brick
seven
Kris
Impedimenta
Admin
Captain Bhankas
Nila
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
bw
indophile
Maria S
ashaNirasha
pravalika nanda
Rekz
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
southindian
ashdoc
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
Jeremiah Mburuburu
36 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:53 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
sorry to say but that skin doesnt look crispy but rotisserie like, hope it tasted ok and the meat was still juicy. also where's that black sauce (hoisin+something else?) - they dont serve it in desh? it offsets the bite of those spring onions perfectly. they serve a bread almost like a soft springy pancake that is extremely neutral and serves as perfect vehicle for peking duck, mooshoo pork..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
no it wasn't crispy. the meat was juicy though. i'm sure one of the 2 sauces in the pic is hoisin though it might not look like the hoisin you are used to -- it's an integral part of peking duck (and moo shu pork). unfortunately moo shoo pork is what we don't get here (or i haven't looked in the right places) -- that is one dish i really miss. they will give you moo shoo chicken and what not... pass.
yeah chicken is a poor substitute for pork in  mooshoo. pork in many ways is the awesomest in the pantheon of dead animal carcasses...am a big fan of cured pork meats from spain/italy not to mention mooshoo pork. I also like that the terrorists and bagel benders dont care for the animal. anything that's shunned by those clowns got to be good.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:22 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
yeah chicken is a poor substitute for pork in  mooshoo. pork in many ways is the awesomest in the pantheon of dead animal carcasses...am a big fan of cured pork meats from spain/italy not to mention mooshoo pork. I also like that the terrorists and bagel benders dont care for the animal. anything that's shunned by those clowns got to be good.
hahahaahaha! actually i was in a conversation over dinner with my cousin last week. he's quite a foodie. sagely i declared -- beef is the best meat! what do you know? he said. have you tried deer meat? i had no reply to that for i hadn't. he observed that different people will find different meats to be the best. absolutism vs relativism. but i could not help thinking of ashoka's edict at that point: here it is. i haven't eaten peacocks either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
hahahaahaha! actually i was in a conversation over dinner with my cousin last week. he's quite a foodie. sagely i declared -- beef is the best meat! what do you know? he said. have you tried deer meat? i had no reply to that for i hadn't. he observed that different people will find different meats to be the best. absolutism vs relativism. but i could not help thinking of ashoka's edict at that point: here it is. i haven't eaten peacocks either.
beef is good but it's not as versatile as pork..some cuts of beef are great but pork is pure awesomeness from skin to liver. pork pate is beat only by duck pate imo, I would even say it's a tie.

* and am unanimous in this, to paraphrase a brit comedy character.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Nice, this thread discusses not only what people are cooking, having cooked, and eating today, but also what they had cooked more than 2,000 years ago! I like. Smile
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
beef is good but it's not as versatile as pork..some cuts of beef are great but pork is pure awesomeness from skin to liver. pork pate is beat only by duck pate imo, I would even say it's a tie.

* and am unanimous in this, to paraphrase a brit comedy character.
hahaha! so we know you are a fan of mrs.slocombe!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am

farewell lunch for the older (leaves for college tomorrow) as per his choice: (not in the pic) chicken liver and heart curry (liver is called mete in bengali. ganpath calls it metal. frankly it does taste a bit metallic. chicken liver has a high iron content and maybe that contributes to its metallic taste.) + (in the pic.) golden fried prawns as per this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz5-vjqEZ7E

we forgot to flatten the prawns (actually shrimps/bagda) before frying (thus curled). tasted very good! better than what we get in the chinese joints. with kikkoman sauce and lime:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 20130811

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:50 am

Yesterday's menu:
Bfast: Home-made pork sausages, 2 fried eggs, dim sum (sieu mai), Danish pastry
Lunch: More sieu mai and prawn dumplings, washed down with a healthful apple+ginger+carrot juice
Pre-dinner: Roast duck with rice, Tiger beer
Dinner: 3 glasses of cabernet, pasta salad, butter roll and a cornetto
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Bfast: Home-made pork sausages
was this at someone else's places or did you guys make it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:04 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
This was at a five-star's restaurant. If true, I guess "home-made" in this context means their own chefs made it rather than buy it readymade.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:32 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
This was at a five-star's restaurant. If true, I guess "home-made" in this context means their own chefs made it rather than buy it readymade.
you are eating precious foreign exchange merlot. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Not at all. I'm the wandering minstrel traveling far and wide, singing rapturous songs all day to lure those FIIs and their precious dollars into the country. You should all be thanking me for my service to the nation.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:49 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Not at all. I'm the wandering minstrel traveling far and wide, singing rapturous songs all day to lure those FIIs and their precious dollars into the country. You should all be thanking me for my service to the nation.
LOL! it's true but funny.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Q to the wandering Poet Bacon: If pigs can't fly, why do they call it swine flew? Wink 

Is there such a thing as kosher pork sausage?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Q to the wandering Poet Bacon: If pigs can't fly, why do they call it swine flew? Wink 

Is there such a thing as kosher pork sausage?
LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 am

poet frankies bacon.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:poet frankies bacon.
Good one.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
you sing on the job, you drink on the job, and you get paid. we owe you nothing.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:13 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:was this at someone else's places or did you guys make it?
you sing on the job, you drink on the job, and you get paid. we owe you nothing.
Pravu, you're a mean mean person. Lots of people sing on the job and drink on the job and get paid. But their singing doesn't bring in those dollars. Mine does.

Your ingratitude is grating. Here I am, sacrificing my sleep, breathing recycled air and surviving on airline food, soldiering on to maximize shareholder wealth, boost india's GDP and prop up the Indian Rupee and look at the thanks I get for my pains. Whoever coined the saying "no good deed goes unpunished" must have had you in mind. Maybe it was that poor fella who delivered your dinner in pouring rains only to get his citizenship, his tax record and his honesty questioned.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:43 am

had this a few days ago but forgot to upload. sorshe bata rui (rui fish cooked with mustard seeds; with a bit of dairy milk added while cooking):
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Imag0310

it is one of the best dishes i have tasted and this is one of my best snaps. i posted this on chat last night for vidya and she urged me to post it here. so this post is dedicated to vidya!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:35 am

That's one mean dish, hoojie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:04 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:That's one mean dish, hoojie.
LOL ya. i'm glad you agree. incidentally i have asked ganpath to cook sorshe ilish tomorrow (no pics. 'cos i've already posted a few in the past). it'll be my first trial of this season's ilish -- the season ends soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Tandoori chicken. I marinated earlier today. XH slow bbq'd. Salad, XH made.

When I was clicking the pic XH goes, 'why were you not like this when we were married? Enthusiastic about stuff. We had so many discussions on it if you remember.' I said, 'I used to be in the moment and enjoy it. Too busy then to get out of the moment to click pics.'

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 YQe8vu4

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Tandoori chicken. I marinated earlier today. XH slow bbq'd. Salad, XH made.

When I was clicking the pic XH goes, 'why were you not like this when we were married? Enthusiastic about stuff. We had so many discussions on it if you remember.' I said, 'I used to be in the moment and enjoy it. Too busy then to get out of the moment to click pics.'

Tip: Next time you use a cell phone to take pictures , tilt it so that you get a wide angle picture with better aspect ratio.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:07 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Tandoori chicken. I marinated earlier today. XH slow bbq'd. Salad, XH made.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 YQe8vu4
good job vidya! that tandoori chicken looks succulent -- i hope it was not too dry. congrats sania! congrats sonia! congrats sachin!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:16 am

One of the best I have had in recent times. Soft and juicy, and very flavorful. Kids loved it, even though the spices were bothering younger ones lips, but he still wanted to keep on eating.
XH tried to take all the credit with his "bbq'ing skills", while I pitched in "my great marinate" (ya we are both very leo that way). Anyhoos, awesome dinner tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:55 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
XH tried to take all the credit with his "bbq'ing skills", while I pitched in "my great marinate" (ya we are both very leo that way).
ha ha ha! i am tempted to repeat this at home (we've done it before including chicken tangri skewered on winter angeethis). missus got a new coal fired BBQ station from bangalore -- we will try on it. anyway, GN or GM depending on what time you see this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:55 pm

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Imag0013

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Imag0014

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Imag0015
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:33 pm

What's that dessert?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:What's that dessert?
Fried Banana.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Ah thought so. They could have caramelized it a little more. I couldnt see any brown...
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Ah thought so. They could have caramelized it a little more. I couldnt see any brown...
I am glad they didn't. Just the right amount of sweet.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Hellsangel wrote:What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Imag0013

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Imag0014

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Imag0015
veggie sushi????? apacharam apacharam. sushi, you are now dead to me....do not attempt to contact me and return my keys

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:had this a few days ago but forgot to upload. sorshe bata rui (rui fish cooked with mustard seeds; with a bit of dairy milk added while cooking):
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Imag0310

it is one of the best dishes i have tasted and this is one of my best snaps. i posted this on chat last night for vidya and she urged me to post it here. so this post is dedicated to vidya!
whoa...I remember you gave me the recipe for this dish back in the day  on old such and I made it with rui purchased at the local bangladeshi market. I'm sure I fucked it up. wouldnt mind finding a bongali rest in dallas area to try this and the other bong fish

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:*sushi pics*
veggie sushi????? apacharam apacharam. sushi, you are now dead to me....do not attempt to contact me and return my keys
rofl that was exactly my sentiment when i saw it. but anyway, the tempura looks delicious. i too was curious about the dessert -- it's fried bananas! the first pic is excellent. congrats hellsu! congrats sania! congrats sonia! congrats sachin!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:44 am

PROLOGUE

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Badsha10

LUNCHLOGUE

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 3iil5Pa

the best chicken rolls in the world! legend has it that kati rolls were invented in kolkata at nizam's for a british sahib so that he could eat botis and parathas without messing his hands. nizam is now history -- badshah, in the same area, and since as far as i can remember, has taken it's place insofar as rolls are concerned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:49 am

Nice. Thanks for the pics. I'm salivating as usual.

I'm now thinking these can be made at home using those frozen "Malaysian" parathas, some teekha chutney, onions, green chili and kebabs. For the meat, I bet mutton or beef seekh kebabs will taste just fantastic.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:02 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
I'm now thinking these can be made at home using those frozen "Malaysian" parathas, some teekha chutney, onions, green chili and kebabs. For the meat, I bet mutton or beef seekh kebabs will taste just fantastic.
yes. it is very simple -- onions (50/50, i.e half fried, half raw and then fried together with the tikkas), green chillies and lime. malaysian parathas (roti canai) will do the trick. these rolls come in both varieties -- mutton boti rolls and chicken rolls. but you won't get the full flavour unless the tikkas are charcoal grilled. we made tandoori pomfret on our new charcoal grill a few days ago:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 20130911

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Nice. Thanks for the pics. I'm salivating as usual.

totally correct, andharae kawan parathas solpa thappaa- murudhogathey - stuff will leak out; but then, so what literally finger lickin' good is what i see !

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:08 pm

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 6SSfNV1

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 pm

a banana, a brownie, gowdhum nooka uppama with carrots and peas that mom sent me.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:13 am

garam_kuta wrote:

totally correct, andharae kawan parathas solpa thappaa- murudhogathey - stuff will leak out; but then,  so what literally finger lickin' good is what i see !
I'm very happy to report that this experiment worked. I used foil to make sure the lower half didn't disintegrate / leak. The only issue was that the readymade chicken seekh kebabs (Venky's) didn't taste as good as a real kebab. But I think I was bang on target with the shell. I'm now convinced this is exactly what Faaso's uses to get the same consistency across their various franchises. My chicken seekh rolls turned out exactly like this:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 152ff45b016dd3031e65e010ca019a67_200_thumb

Next time, in addition to all of the above, I also plan to put in a fried egg.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
I'm very happy to report that this experiment worked. I used foil to make sure the lower half didn't disintegrate / leak. The only issue was that the readymade chicken seekh kebabs (Venky's) didn't taste as good as a real kebab. But I think I was bang on target with the shell. I'm now convinced this is exactly what Faaso's uses to get the same consistency across their various franchises. My chicken seekh rolls turned out exactly like this:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 152ff45b016dd3031e65e010ca019a67_200_thumb
lol, great job MD! actually vidya and i were discussing venkys on chat last night -- frozen chicken nuggets ought to be avoided. she has gleaned some gyan about how they are made using the "last shredded pieces." oh well.

this is my favourite! egg-chicken roll. the egg is broken on the tava and the paratha laid on it to fry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:27 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
this is my favourite! egg-chicken roll. the egg is broken on the tava and the paratha laid on it to fry.
The only problem doing this with a frozen paratha is that the side stuck to the egg will never brown properly. OTOH, that's exactly how the roll-makers at Md Ali Road do it. I was originally planning to fry the paratha and the egg separately and then assembling them. But on second thoughts, this might be a better way. Will give it a shot.

PS: Your tandoori pomfret looks totally awesome. Restaurant quality indeed. Also, pls post a pic of your grill as well.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:32 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Also, pls post a pic of your grill as well.
will do in a day. it's been stowed away but there has been a request by the younger for more tandoori pomfret.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:59 am

HAPPY VISHWAKARMA POOJA OR VISHWAKARMA JAYANTI MD!

our vishwakarma lunch was tandoori pomfret. evening snack (to double as dinner) will be luchis and cholar dal at a pooja in one of our yards locally.

marinated pomfrets placed on the grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 20130912

the grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 20130913

sourcing charcoal was a problem -- we had to contact a dealer. as you know, in the US it is convenient -- you get them in packets in stores.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 20130914

this is a prestige charcoal grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 413rCEkvXdL._AA300_

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:14 am

Nice. Thanks. How do you fire up the charcoal? Do you pour some accelerant on them?

I've got a tiny little portable gas grill that's gathering rust at home. I'm looking around for a supplier of propane gas but even if I find one, I don't know how easily / safely it will fit my grill. Much easier to use as a charcoal grill, I think.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:22 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Nice. Thanks. How do you fire up the charcoal? Do you pour some accelerant on them?
fired some wooden sticks with kerosene oil poured on it. laid the charcoal over it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:43 am

been gifted some sweets owing to vishwakarma. i suppose this was inevitable -- chocolate sandesh:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 9 Sandes11

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

totally correct, andharae kawan parathas solpa thappaa- murudhogathey - stuff will leak out; but then,  so what literally finger lickin' good is what i see !

awesome...looks so civilized..bombAt mAdubitri:clap: 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

OMG, i got to start stalking MD for food pix. its 9:35 in the AM and i am so hungry. not good. Evil or Very Mad it has only been 30 mins since i had my oatmeal and fruits. there is this place where i get panner kathi rolls, i heading out there in about two hours. super pic MD.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next