Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:51 am

Hoozay, It's near lunch time. I'm leching (and salivating) at that picture of butter chicken and tandoori roti you posted a few days back. Yes, today shall be a butter chicken day.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:08 am

LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:09 am

TW, did you not post a pic. of rabri yeterday? i saw it late and forgot to comment. it looked delicious! why did you delete it? where was it sourced from? we had a similarly delicious rabri a few weeks ago sourced from popular "tiwaris" here but i took no snap!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:54 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Hoozay, It's near lunch time. I'm leching (and salivating) at that picture of butter chicken and tandoori roti you posted a few days back. Yes, today shall be a butter chicken day.

In the event, my lunch company wanted to try the buffet, so instead of the meal I had fantasized about, I ended up eating:
- chicken kebabs
- fish tikka
- kolhapuri chicken
- mutton kofta
- nan
- egg biryani
- bhindi fry

There was a very nice looking dessert counter as well. I ignored the cut fruits and instead had:
- Green paan cream pastry (sweet paan flavored cream - quite different and intriguing)
- cham cham
- lemon tart
- vanilla ice cream

I was a bit distracted so I missed out the chaat counter. Well, next time.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:08 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:- Green paan cream pastry (sweet paan flavored cream - quite different and intriguing)
i've had this. if i am thinking what it is, then it is a specialty of agra area. Smile is this it?

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Agra

i have a seminar (to attend) followed by dinner in taj bengal tonight. haven't eaten there in decades. let me see what they offer tonight. your lunch has tickled my taste buds already. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am

no, this was a proper western pastry like the one below. but instead of fruits on top, imagine a garnish of mukhwaas and a mild aftertaste of sweet paan. actually, the correct word is mousse. it's a mousse cake, not a pastry.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 05.+05.+2011+-+matcha+mousse+072
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:43 am

looks tasty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:07 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:TW, did you not post a pic. of rabri yeterday? i saw it late and forgot to comment. it looked delicious! why did you delete it? where was it sourced from? we had a similarly delicious rabri a few weeks ago sourced from popular "tiwaris" here but i took no snap!

yeah, removed it coz i thot maybe it didn't look good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Arre, it was the best pic. in this thread. I was going to comment accordingly. Anyway...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm

was sourced from and eaten in Mithaas in NJ.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 ZUoAp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:17 pm

that is an awesome pic.! rabri is usually white in colour but this one is a shade of brown, fawn, that makes it look delectable. rabri is very tasty but i taste it only once a year. a few weeks ago, when my wife had ordered rabri, i tasted a spoonful and said no after that -- it was sinful. (atal bihar bajpayee was similarly fond of malpuas -- but i am not -- perhaps MD is. Smile) also the two sppons in the heart-shaped cup makes the presentation delectable -- one spoon for the lover and the other for the beloved. i google searched your image and you can see i was not thinking along the wrong lines.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Rabri10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Lol hk. Yes the Serving bowl was heart shaped. But that's where the romance ends. Here is the story behind the spoons. I had gone with my son to see a movie in Edison. We had gone early so to pass time went to mithaas.

Anyway. I got rabdi and put it on the table. Son immediately dug a spoon in it on the edge of the bowl. I was like, no wait let me take a pic first. But when I took the spoon out, it had a dent. So I said ok let's put the spoon back. So I put the spoon back. He thought we are supposed to put all the spoons in. So he dug in another one too. This time right in the center. Having no other choice I clicked it anyway.

Am not sure what google image searches you talking about.

Edit: just saw ur post with images this time. Pics load later on iPhone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:31 am

lol @ background of the two spoons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:16 am

wow. just stumbled on this new factoid. no wonder kolkata's rabri is so delicious:

Calcutta Rabri

The quintessential Rabri from Calcutta has probably been handed down from the Rabri that is originally from Varanasi. This very rich dessert is made by heating sweetened milk in a large open vessel (kadhai). As the layer of cream begins to form on the surface of the milk, it is taken off and kept aside. The process continues until the milk is exhausted. The Rabri thus formed is extremely creamy and very heavy on the stomach, but loved by the average Bengali. Rabri was banned in Calcutta for sometime during the years of milk scarcity because of the fact that it uses up a large quantity of milk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabri

btw, west bengal is still a net importer of milk (imported from the south). this despite the fact that west bengal's milk production has dramatically increased over the last several decades. i think the deficit has narrowed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:34 am

I'm trying to remember the name of this other very rich sweet peculiar to Kolkata. It was basically the cream skimmed off the milk, collected and then sun-dried (I think), deep-fried and soaked in syrup. Triply sinful, but thrice as delightful.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:42 am

chaNar bara? (chaNa = paneer). what does it look like?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:rabri is usually white in colour

It's never white in color. Rabri is cooked milk. If you cook anything, it changes color. Same shyt for rabri. It goes from white to a hint of brown to light brown to dark brown and if keep cooking the fuck out of it, it'll end up charcoal black. You don't want to eat it if the color is charcoal black though, because at this point, it's not edible.

I made a gallon of rabri on Monday. The color is a darker shade of brown than what you see in the picture Natalia posted.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:rabri is very tasty but i taste it only once a year. a few weeks ago, when my husband had ordered rabri, i tasted a spoonful and said no after that -- it was sinful.

Huz, when did you get a sex change? How's life with a v-unit between your legs?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:52 pm

i have grown an appreciation for men. my latest crush is:

sendhil ramamurthy
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Sendhil+Ramamurthy+2010+Dubai+International+B0kZo9EdMHfl

(a memorable dialogue by him from shor in the city -- all the hawkers in mumbai talk to me in english. why? do i look whaiiite?)

i like them androgynous; like:

keanu reeves
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Keanu-Reeves

and jason momoa
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Jason-momoa

but i still remain les. -- yes, that too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:36 am

Bittu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:rabri is usually white in colour

It's never white in color. Rabri is cooked milk. If you cook anything, it changes color. Same shyt for rabri. It goes from white to a hint of brown to light brown to dark brown and if keep cooking the fuck out of it, it'll end up charcoal black. You don't want to eat it if the color is charcoal black though, because at this point, it's not edible.

I made a gallon of rabri on Monday. The color is a darker shade of brown than what you see in the picture Natalia posted.

what do you know?

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Imag0014

here is their phone number: http://www.justdial.com/Kolkata/tiwari-sweets-%3Cnear%3E-M-G-Road/033P7450302

call them and ask how (or why) is their rabri so white in colour. i'm off to eat it now. tata. (stop making and eating that burnt pink/brown stuff!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:06 am

White rabri is just milk mixed in with powdered rice, paper and chalk. ENJOY.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:32 am

Bittu wrote:White rabri is just milk mixed in with powdered rice, paper and chalk. ENJOY.
you forgot sugar. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:41 pm

strawberry shortcake italian ice... was soooooo good after a long hot day and shopping in the mall.... atma tript!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 RrnCX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:40 am

strawberry shortcake, shami kebabs and BIG BIG pooris, spinach feta pumpkin pie, quiche...hey bhagwan! i am getting an inferiority complex. double flank attack from aunties bw and nats! must ask ganpath ram to make shami kebab mince and take some nice snaps of shami kebabs sizzling in a skillet. the ground meat should last a good many days -- can be eaten as burgers later too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:58 am

Here's some leftover spinach, pumpkin, feta tart for you, HK!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Photo110

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:21 am

ha ha @ leftover. i bet you are feeling stuffed right now!

nice pic tho. Smile post a pic. of the quiche next time! Smile i'm curious how that turns out.

*ganpath ram has to get his act together. i'll show him these pics. to get him motivated*

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:08 am

What I really craved for was a simple roast duck rice, washed down with a Tsingtao at a neighborhood food stall. Instead, I sat down in plush five star comfort and had:
- a flavorful minetrone soup
- a very intriguingly presented herb-encrusted sole fillet (they'd rolled up the fillet and pan-fried the roll)
- a simply delicious tiramisu which would've been deliciouser if only the chef had soaked the ladies fingers in some spiced rum and coffee instead of just the latter
- a scandalously priced but delightfully smooth $100 pinot noir

And lastly, a glass of Courvoisier VSOP.

Nice meal, nice buzz but my craving for roast duck remains unconsummated.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:What I really craved for was a simple roast duck rice, washed down with a Tsingtao at a neighborhood food stall. Instead, I sat down in plush five star comfort and had:
- a very intriguingly presented herb-encrusted sole fillet (they'd rolled up the fillet and pan-fried the roll)
- a simply delicious tiramisu which would've been deliciouser if only the chef had soaked the ladies fingers in some spiced rum and coffee instead of just the latter

sounds delicious... may you have better luck with the roast duck next time Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:What I really craved for was a simple roast duck rice, washed down with a Tsingtao at a neighborhood food stall. Instead, I sat down in plush five star comfort and had:

sounds delicious... may you have better luck with the roast duck next time Smile

Such luck continues to escape me. Lunch AND dinner were Italian. Lunch was a crispy-skinned pan-fried pomfret with a delicious eggplant caponata. Dinner was an equally flavorful pan-fried sea bass followed by panacotta and this was a first: cognac-marinated grapes. All lip-smackingly delicious but still...no. roast. duck. So near and yet so far...

The only consolation was that I witnessed a Christ-like miracle this evening. No, water didnt turn to wine but the wine (a mellow salice salentino) certainly flowed like water and I'm now filled by the Spirit and ready to talk in the tongues. Hallelujah.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:...The only consolation was that I witnessed a Christ-like miracle this evening. No, water didnt turn to wine but the wine (a mellow salice salentino) certainly flowed like water and I'm now filled by the Spirit and ready to talk in the tongues. Hallelujah.
hahaha. well written.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 am

I am jealous of everything MD eats. I just wanted to add that in here. I am generally jealous of everyone today. Also, I tasted mahi mahi when I was vacationing last week. I do not want to accept that I enjoyed the experience.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 am

Impedimenta wrote:Also, I tasted mahi mahi when I was vacationing last week.
clap *slow and steady...*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 am

we had guests over, so lunch was special. litti chokha with arbi (colocasia) sabzi.

litti: a baati stuffed with sattu (bengal gram), mango pickle masala and onions, roasted and served dabbed with ghee. chokha (rear image): potatoes and eggplants mashed in mustard oil.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 2012-011

with one foodie out of the house, we seem to have lost some of the initiative to cook new things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:43 am

looks good, HK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

Such luck continues to escape me. Lunch AND dinner were Italian. Lunch was a crispy-skinned pan-fried pomfret with a delicious eggplant caponata. Dinner was an equally flavorful pan-fried sea bass followed by panacotta and this was a first: cognac-marinated grapes. All lip-smackingly delicious but still...no. roast. duck. So near and yet so far...

The only consolation was that I witnessed a Christ-like miracle this evening. No, water didnt turn to wine but the wine (a mellow salice salentino) certainly flowed like water and I'm now filled by the Spirit and ready to talk in the tongues. Hallelujah.

Looks like one day you're going to attain your Nirvana through food and drinks. The way you blissfully enjoy your food...*so jealous!!*

Edit: PS: touch wood...nazar na lag jaai.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:21 am

Gnocchi with roasted red pepper, red onions and walnuts along with a salad.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Photo211

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 Photo310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:35 am

OMG BW maami! i see that you are not easily intimidated by ganpath ram! those look lip smackingly delicious. a part of me wants to go back to being vegetarian (as, no doubt, my ancestors must have been).

but wait a minute -- wouldn't red peppers make the gnocchi super hot?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:OMG BW maami! i see that you are not easily intimidated by ganpath ram! those look lip smackingly delicious. a part of me wants to go back to being vegetarian (as, no doubt, my ancestors must have been).

but wait a minute -- wouldn't red peppers make the gnocchi super hot?

I had to establish who's the boss - I felt I was getting displaced :-)

red pepper aka bell pepper aka capsicum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:48 am

BW, you made that, or the new temp wonder help?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:08 am

I did, in an effort to show who's the real boss around here!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:20 am

looks great!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:30 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:...a part of me wants to go back to being vegetarian (as, no doubt, my ancestors must have been).
...and i stumble on this para or rock edict of ashoka (by now 12 years consecrated -- thus an early edict) in the book i am reading. ominous event. fascinating account:

Here in my domain no living beings are to be slaughtered or offered in sacrifice. Nor should festivals be held, for Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi [Ashoka], sees much to object to in these festivals, although there are some festivals that Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does approve of. Formerly, in the kitchen of the Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, hundreds of thousands of animals were killed every day to make curry. But now with the writing of the Dharma edict only three creatures, two peacocks and a deer, are killed, and the deer not always. And in time, not even these three creatures will be killed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Whoa, BW! Not fair to just post those awesome pix. You need to share the recipes too. They look healthy and delicious.

PS: What's gnocchi again? k..k..googling!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:30 am

today marks pitrapaksh, the beginning of shardh, that will end with mahalaya or the first day of the durga pujas. lunch was onion-garlic-less fare fed to brahmins first:

(the photos have not come out well though the alu sabzi with pooris was very tasty. nevertheless, i am posting them)

dahi vada

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 2012-012

alu sabzi with pooris, peas and cauliflower sabzi and mishti doi.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 17 2012-013

the beloved-of-the-gods, piyadasi, our great ancestor, emperor ashoka, would not have approved of this meal nor the ritual that accompanies it. we will try to make amends by cooking venison on pitrapaksh next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 am

K, to celebrate pitrupaksha, this devout Brahmin fed himself with the following at lunch today:
- Pani puri, papdi chaat, mutton seekh kebab, chicken malai kebab, chicken tikka
- Bhuna ghosht and chicken maharaja with pulao and tandoori roti
- Malai kulfi and freshly fried (in ghee) jalebis
All washed down with a bottle of beer. As a consequence, my forefathers and I were ati prasanna.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:10 am

yeeeeesh! shiva! shiva! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:54 am

what pitrapaksh? abhi to ganesh chaturthu bhi nahi hui. Think ganesh days from from 19-29 and then they are from sept30/oct 1- oct 15. today is just some shraadh amavasya or sth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:42 am

oh sorry, today is not pitrapaksh. duh! today was my father's shradh. i wasn't paying attention to the missus this morning. pitrapaksh is still a week or fortnight away -- after ganesh chaturthi, you are right. sorry again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:51 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:oh sorry, today is not pitrapaksh. duh! today was my father's shradh. i wasn't paying attention to the missus this morning. pitrapaksh is still a week or fortnight away -- after ganesh chaturthi, you are right. sorry again.

Hoozay, I feel cheated. Here I was, diligently performing my sacred duty towards my forefathers and it turns out the only person I was pleasing was your dad (and me of course). Oh well, I guess I just have to do it all over again when it's actually pitrupaksha.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:K, to celebrate pitrupaksha, this devout Brahmin fed himself with the following at lunch today:
- Pani puri, papdi chaat, mutton seekh kebab, chicken malai kebab, chicken tikka
- Bhuna ghosht and chicken maharaja with pulao and tandoori roti
- Malai kulfi and freshly fried (in ghee) jalebis
All washed down with a bottle of beer. As a consequence, my forefathers and I were ati prasanna.

>>>> With the exception of mutton seekh kebab, I could see getting used to this fare at least once a week. Anyway, wife got a new grill for the backyard, so looks like it will be outdoor cooking in this brahmin's household till the weather turns cold. That would be october, no november, no december- heck, who knows? still feels like july outside some days.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next