Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 am

Impedimenta wrote:OMG! adopt me as a member of your household. fine. don't. I'll get my own ganpath ram. even though his name is hulio and he has a snake tattoo on his arm, he will make me panniyaram.
LMAO at 6'2" 200 pounds hulio with a snake tattoo. you are in good hands ma'am!
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:[to blabberwock]...you call it disgusting, i call it delicious. to each his own!
go eat some grass for i think it is dinner time for you. (i forgot to add this in my previous post for i definitely had it in mind while composing it. it's probably past dinner for you right now but if you are up and reading and feeling hungry, well, eat some more grass. don't forget to garnish it with grass this time!)

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Kris Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: cheers we have finally walked over to the dark side (i personally consider eggs non veg) and do not regret it. 3rd attempt -- paniyaram with egg burji filling:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 2012-116

the batter, 2 days old, had slightly soured. with every attempt ganpath's paniyarams are getting softer. ganpath had to switch stoves to slow cook these burji filled ones (paniyarams cook fast). we made coconut chutney today -- i don't like peanut chutney i now feel. the egg-filing-paniyaram was tasty and filling. 9/10. younger said it tastes like sushi! ha ha, he is not wrong. sushi is fermented rice with something fishy in between. we are giving ourselves a double promotion. we will skip italian 'erbs lessons and jump to the doctorate galouti course.

OMG! adopt me as a member of your household. fine. don't. I'll get my own ganpath ram. even though his name is hulio and he has a snake tattoo on his arm, he will make me panniyaram.

>>>> Ganpath Rams are not easy to come by. HK is reaping the rewards of several virtuous lives. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:02 am

kakori paniyarams (no tomatoes) with coconut chutney and sambar:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 2012-117

9/10

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:kakori paniyarams (no tomatoes) with coconut chutney and sambar:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 2012-117

9/10

Yumm...I'm salivating at the pic. I wouldn't dip these in sambar though. Some pudina chutney maybe.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 am

no, not dipped in sambar. sambar used to change tastes and provide some spicy liquid intermittently. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:44 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:kakori paniyarams (no tomatoes) with coconut chutney and sambar:

9/10

Hoozay, with this masterpiece, you have singlehandedly achieved more for Dravido-Mughlai gastronomic synthesis than that pretender, the Nawab of Arcot, ever did.

For this singular piece of public service, I hereby award you the grand title: مزیدار ترکیب کی بلند ساز
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:53 am

LMAOOOOOO!

google translates your farsi as, "When combined with long-maker Mzydar."

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 am

Haha...I was hoping to say: சுவையான தொகுப்பு மேன்மைமிகு கண்டுபிடிப்பாளர்

Uff Google Translate is simpy ignorant about "synthesis". Ok, I was trying to say: Exalted Maker of Delicious Synthesis.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:07 am

merci!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:10 am

Oh now I understand the farsi bit. Goog translated synthesis as "when combined", exalted as long and delicious as mazedar.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:25 am

Just had a most interesting Mumbaiya street innovation: chocolate sandwich. It is made thusly: slather Nutella generously on two slices of bread. Scatter some sliced cashew. Slather butter on the outside of both slices. Grill in a panini press.

Surprisingly delicious!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:33 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Just had a most interesting Mumbaiya street innovation: chocolate sandwich. It is made thusly: slather Nutella generously on two slices of bread. Scatter some sliced cashew. Slather butter on the outside of both slices. Grill in a panini press.

Surprisingly delicious!

Sounds like something a 2 yr old may enjoy. In a panini press? How will it seal the sandwich? A sandwich maker may be a better option?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:47 am

Haha..yeah. Even I turned my nose up at the idea when I first heard of it. That's why the deliciousness was surprising.

There's no need to "seal" the sandwich. The melted Nutella does a good job holding the two pieces of bread together.

Sandwich maker should work just as fine - only, those thingies are designed to cut the sandwich. The Nutella that oozes out may burn.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:37 am

I'm a big skeptic when it comes to Rajastani or Marwari "cuisine". I don't think there's any such thing. But I suspended my skepticism and tried out dal baati churma, which is the most famous representative of this supposed cuisine.

First the components of dal baati churma: Baati is a hard, round bread served with ghee. The dal is cooked in ghee, the masalas are fried in ghee and then there is ghee added on top before serving. Churma is the leftover dough of the baati deep fried in - what else - ghee and then crushed with jaggery.

Before you eat, crush the baati, pour the dal on top, sprinkle some churma, add some ghee. Since the whole thing is an orgy of ghee, it tastes very good. Without the ghee, I'd give this utterly unimaginative, overhyped creation a FAIL. Marwaris are good only for making money, not for serving up good food.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:35 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote: Since the whole thing is an orgy of ghee, it tastes very good. Without the ghee, I'd give this utterly unimaginative, overhyped creation a FAIL. Marwaris are good only for making money, not for serving up good food.
roflllll. if ghee had a choice, it would travel to idli and not baati. sometimes ghee turns me off (which is a rare event but nevertheless spooky when it happens). i had hot jalebis today and the taste of ghee still sitting in my stomach is making me want to throw up. i will avoid ghee for a long time now. or maybe it is dalda sitting in my stomach -- i can't tell the difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:57 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote: Since the whole thing is an orgy of ghee, it tastes very good. Without the ghee, I'd give this utterly unimaginative, overhyped creation a FAIL. Marwaris are good only for making money, not for serving up good food.
roflllll. if ghee had a choice, it would travel to idli and not baati. sometimes ghee turns me off (which is a rare event but nevertheless spooky when it happens). i had hot jalebis today and the taste of ghee still sitting in my stomach is making me want to throw up. i will avoid ghee for a long time now. or maybe it is dalda sitting in my stomach -- i can't tell the difference.

By sheer coincidence, I ended my meal with hot jalebi (fried in front of me in ghee) and rabdi. Spent my afternoon in a food coma.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

hot ghee used in frying smells and tastes like the grease that oozes out and separates away when bacon is sauteed. Perhaps bhaiya, you don't like bacon ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:43 pm

garam_kuta wrote:hot ghee used in frying smells and tastes like the grease that oozes out and separates away when bacon is sauteed. Perhaps bhaiya, you don't like bacon ?
i love bacon. but you are bloody right! if i ate lots of crispy bacon, almost as a meal (which i have done in the past), i would experience the exact same feeling while burping long after!

this also suggests that my jalebis were probably fried in adulterated ghee. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:28 am

Continuing my Telugu celebration week...

aratikaya vepudu and tomato pappu with rice

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 Photo510

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:48 am

definitely a notch above grass! let me join you in your misery by eating the same stuff tomorrow.

can any gulti on board vet if these recipes are authentic? kinns seems to have deserted us.

http://www.sailusfood.com/2010/10/23/pappu-tomato-andhra-tomato-dal/
http://www.sailusfood.com/2011/11/01/aratikaya-vepudu-raw-plantain-fry-recipe/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:http://www.sailusfood.com/2010/10/23/pappu-tomato-andhra-tomato-dal/
huh? this is nothing but arahar dal with tomatoes.

i'll try this recipe instead: http://www.gayatrivantillu.com/recipes-2/lentils/tomatopappu <-- this has urad too albiet in tadka only.

aside: jlim mblam: heh, it seems you haven't travelled 50 kms beyond chennai and your place of birth. folks are eating yellow sickly dal in AP EvVeRRyDdAy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:22 am

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 2012-118

dal -- ok
crispy plantains -- good +
good combo with K 453
meanwhile uninterrupted koechels continue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:59 am

To make up for the vegetarian skew that this board is taking, I gorged today on:

Surmai Fry
Prawn pepper fry
Mallu-style Beef "Roast"
Malabar "parota"
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:29 am

Qustion to MD:)

Based on what you have been posting, you must be eating a lot and mostly eat out and I assume you travel a lot too. Unless you have a well disciplined work out routine, it will be too difficult to stay healthy. My guess is you must be easily around 180+ lbs (if not exercising).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 am

FluteHolder wrote:Qustion to MD:)

Based on what you have been posting, you must be eating a lot and mostly eat out and I assume you travel a lot too. Unless you have a well disciplined work out routine, it will be too difficult to stay healthy. My guess is you must be easily around 180+ lbs (if not exercising).

Since when is 180 lbs an unhealthy weight?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:36 pm

couple of weeks ago, i was in a place for a week where i had seared ahi nearly every meal and still wanted to have more.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:couple of weeks ago, i was in a place for a week where i had seared ahi nearly every meal and still wanted to have more.

Luverly!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:48 am

FluteHolder wrote:Qustion to MD:)

For all my love for good food and wines, I eat small portions and rarely go beyond 2 drinks. I'm quite disciplined in my morning workouts even when I'm traveling and most importantly, I'm blessed with good metabolism. I may not be as lithe as that Nazrani studmuffin-unkil but my weight has remained unchanged at 160 lbs for over a decade now.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:32 am

That's nice to know. Also, yeah. Very good rule to never go beyond two drinks. If the drinks are too mild, do you make it four? Or if too strong, then one?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:54 am

to overcome the shame and guilt of being homosex1, today, on shuba navami, i ate two meats in one meal -- that too beef and pork. spaghetti bolognese and fried bacon (GK made me crave for it) were ordered.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 Spaghe10
(two photos have been concatenated in the above image so don't get confused by the borders of the plastic boxes)

god, the italians really know how to cook with tomatoes; they are the best. delicious stuff.

shubo navami fellas!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 Shubo_10

------------------
1. not that there is anything wrong with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:01 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:to overcome the shame and guilt of being homosex1, today, on shuba navami, i ate two meats in one meal -- that too beef and pork. spaghetti bolognese and fried bacon (GK made me crave for it) were ordered.

Gasp. Beef AND pork?? In one meal?? You ambitious Hindoo, you! You've really "attained" the final frontier, haven't you??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:to overcome the shame and guilt of being homosex1, today, on shuba navami, i ate two meats in one meal -- that too beef and pork. spaghetti bolognese and fried bacon (GK made me crave for it) were ordered.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 Spaghe10
(two photos have been concatenated in the above image so don't get confused by the borders of the plastic boxes)

god, the italians really know how to cook with tomatoes; they are the best. delicious stuff.

shubo navami fellas!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 20 Shubo_10

------------------
1. not that there is anything wrong with it.

hoo, are these photographs of your gods? are they enthusiasts of spaghetti and "fried" bacon? how were they photographed? (i would have thought that light goes right through them.) why do they have black faces? (they look a bit like dravidpeepal, na). why does one have an elephant trunk? is this what you fellas mean by "individual gods" and "many paths to nirvana?" what's in the stainless steel plate? food? italian food? do the photographs get hungry? does any of the food get eaten? does any of the gods like sophisticated, exotic food like the chicken chowmein that ganpath ram makes for you?

hoozay, why do tens, perhaps hundreds of millions of people have the same "individual" god?

please tell me about shubo navami. is it a festival? is it celebrated all over "kol?"

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 am

hulio made me the most incredible eggplant parm yesterday. i wanted to share pics but did not.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 am

Oh, it is navami already? Shubha bijoya, happy vijaya dashami, etc. to everyone.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote: why do they have black faces? (they look a bit like dravidpeepal, na).

those are not BLACK faces. those are indigo blue and you are clearly colour blind. describe the colours you see in this text . BLACK is a dravidO colour. it is abhorrent. our gods are not BLACK (like your BLACK jesus). shiva, krishna and kali are a deep shade of indigo blue!

please tell me about shubo navami. is it a festival? is it celebrated all over "kol?"
you asked the right guy! as the myth goes, after mahishasura (you), the demon king, ravaged the heavens, goddess durga had to descend (on earth) to destroy him. the battle raged for nine days and on the ninth day, the navami, ma durga destroyed you. today is shubo navami or auspicious ninth day. today is a good time for you to commit suicide if you ever wished to (in any case you are going to die today). we will celebrate the victory as bijoy dashami (translated as -- victory/felicitation on the 10th day) tomorrow. it is celebrated with much fanfare in bengal. bijoy dashami coincides with dusshera. dussehra is the return of rama after exile. tomorrow we celebrate dussehra too. in the north more emphasis is put on dussehra festivities which is accompanied by the ubiquitous ram leela (enactment of the ramayana on stage) and the burning of ravana's (your) effigy. in the west the nine days of durga's carnage (against mahishasura's army) is celebrated as the navratri.

trivia: by some account mahishasura (you) was infatuated with durga while being a great worshipper of her. durga often appeared before him (you) in an indigo blue form (kali) to spook mahishasura, who liked the light-skinned, slavic-parsi complexioned durga, out but it didn't work. mahishasura continued to plunder heaven and earth because he wished to die by durga since he could not live by her. his last wish to durga was to be carried away with her. durga granted him his wish and gave him the boon that whenever durga would be worshipped, mahishasura would also be remembered. and, of course, all of durga's portraits and sculpture show mahishasura at her feet being pierced by her trident.

the rest of your post is irrelevant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote: why do they have black faces? (they look a bit like dravidpeepal, na).
those are not BLACK faces.
they are black faces. read this:

Kālī (Sanskrit: काली, IPA: [kɑːliː]), also known as Kālikā (Sanskrit: कालिका), is the Hindu goddess associated with empowerment, shakti. The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, death, lord of death, Shiva. -- wikipedia.

thank you for telling me about shubo navami.

now, please answer these Qs (they are relevant because you are the one who, on your own, posted pictures of them here):

hoo, are these photographs of your gods? are they enthusiasts of spaghetti and "fried" bacon? how were they photographed? (i would have thought that light passes right through them.) why do they have black faces? (they look a bit like dravidpeepal, na). why does one have an elephant trunk? is this what you fellas mean by "individual gods" and "many paths to nirvana?" what's in the stainless steel plate? food? italian food? do the photographs get hungry? does any of the food get eaten? does any of the gods like sophisticated, exotic food like the chicken chowmein that ganpath ram makes for you?

hoozay, why do tens, perhaps hundreds of millions of people have the same "individual" god?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:52 pm

your questions will remain irrelevant and supercilious till the time you continue to ignore my questions. for one, WHY COULD YOU NOT MEET YOUR PAKISTANI "FRIENDS" (NOTE IT IS "FRIEND" NOT "FRIED") IN THE EYE WHEN PAKISTAN WAS BEING DEBATED ON TV?

speak up man (if you are a man or are you homosex?).

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:WHY COULD YOU NOT MEET YOUR PAKISTANI "FRIENDS" IN THE EYE?
that doesn't make any sense; how does one "meet" anyone in the eye? you must be quite shaken up by my Qs. your english seems to have evaporated; you might try answering in northindian.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
that doesn't make any sense; how does one "meet" anyone in the eye? you must be quite shaken up by my Qs. your english seems to have evaporated; you might try answering in northindian.
WHY COULD YOU NOT SEE YOUR PAKISTAN FRIENDS (NOTE IT IS"FRIEND" NOT "FRIED") IN THE EYE?

your turn. answer man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
WHY COULD YOU NOT SEE YOUR PAKISTAN FRIENDS (NOTE IT IS"FRIEND" NOT FRIED") IN THE EYE?

your turn. answer man.
don't you know the difference between "see" and "look?" reco: write in northindian.

was the following intended to be witty?

"YOUR PAKISTAN FRIENDS (NOTE IT IS 'FRIEND' NOT 'FRIED')"

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20