Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

+32
Obnoxious
Tejpal Singh Iyer
michelle2
noisy_dravidfan
b_A
Idéfix
Jebediah Mburuburu
churi.
Bittu
Another Brick
seven
Kris
Impedimenta
Admin
Captain Bhankas
Nila
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
bw
indophile
Maria S
ashaNirasha
pravalika nanda
Rekz
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
southindian
ashdoc
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
Jeremiah Mburuburu
36 posters

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by bw Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:28 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:here's an idea - stuff idlis with cheese and jalapeno. or stuff them with chutney.
Idli stuffed with chutney is not very original. The Gujjus have already built the famous sandwich dhokla (a layer of chutney, or even paneer and chutney, separating yellow and white dhokla).
that's a layer, this is stuffed inside. a world of difference.

an unsuspecting person will wonder why he is being served plain idlis. when he grumpily takes a bite, he is suddenly hit by a medley of flavours in solid, liquid, semi-liquid forms, oozing out from the very heart of the idli.

bw

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Kris Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:37 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:thanksgiving lunch: idlis stuffed with cheese (processed cheese), milagai podi, garlic chutney, coconut chutney. verdict: very nice. next time we need to add more cheese or a different cheese that leaves no gaps.

had milagai podi for the first time. very tasty with idlis.

Looks good, but I don't particularly fancy cheese stuffing except in jalapeno poppers.
here's an idea - stuff idlis with cheese and jalapeno. or stuff them with chutney. why bother dunking it in chutney etc. just fill them up with everything. sambar will be a bit tricky but then they have these shanghainese pork dumplings with liquid inside and idlis too can be made to handle that. imagine, biting into a steaming idli and getting a mouthful of sambar!
>>>Hey, I was thinking about the same just now. Brilliant  minds etc Smile
Dunno abt you, but BW was just being facetious.
>>>I know! Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:41 am

Kris wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote: 
Looks good, but I don't particularly fancy cheese stuffing except in jalapeno poppers.
here's an idea - stuff idlis with cheese and jalapeno. or stuff them with chutney. why bother dunking it in chutney etc. just fill them up with everything. sambar will be a bit tricky but then they have these shanghainese pork dumplings with liquid inside and idlis too can be made to handle that. imagine, biting into a steaming idli and getting a mouthful of sambar!
>>>Hey, I was thinking about the same just now. Brilliant  minds etc Smile
Dunno abt you, but BW was just being facetious.
>>>I know! Smile
err..excuse me, i am dead serious. i just had someone try out my brilliant idea of cheese filled idlis.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:05 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:thanksgiving lunch
brigadier khandelwal -- to whom do indians give thanks?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:here's an idea - stuff idlis with cheese and jalapeno. or stuff them with chutney.
Idli stuffed with chutney is not very original. The Gujjus have already built the famous sandwich dhokla (a layer of chutney, or even paneer and chutney, separating yellow and white dhokla).
paneer is like the genghiz khan of indian food. there's not a dish it hasn't penetrated.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:14 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
paneer is like the genghiz khan of indian food. there's not a dish it hasn't penetrated.
rofl
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:48 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:thanksgiving lunch
brigadier khandelwal -- to whom do indians give thanks?
i really dunno. all i know is that it surrounds food. and then with so many indian pilgrims here, it is only befitting i celebrate it.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Screen10

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:31 am

inspired by pizza curry..

punjabi kadhi

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Kadhi10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:09 am

wow, that looks just awesome! either you cook damn well or you got the latest iphone. or maybe both. never had kadhi made this way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:10 am

Back in desh, niece ordered cheese uttapam in woodland and I internally apologized to max. It looked like pizza and she had to go hungry as she absolutely hated it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:22 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Back in desh, niece ordered cheese uttapam in woodland and I internally apologized to max. It looked like pizza and she had to go hungry as she absolutely hated it.
something like this?

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Img_0152-scaled1000

looks yuck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:25 am

i had taken a pic of her pizza. let me see if i can find it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:30 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:i had taken a pic of her pizza. let me see if i can find it.
here. she actually got turned off just by the look of it.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 0DPihBL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:43 am

yes i can imagine. had it been melted cheese then it would have been slightly, slightly more appetizing (to look at at least).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 8880327_orig

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:49 am

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

an unsuspecting person will wonder why he is being served plain idlis. when he grumpily takes a bite, he is suddenly hit by a medley of flavours in solid, liquid, semi-liquid forms, oozing out from the very heart of the idli.
What a lovely idea! You are an artist!

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:11 am

michelle2 wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

+1. if only there was a trick by which the idli shell could be made thinner so more stuffing could go inside. will have to experiment once more with keema.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:15 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote: if only there was a trick by which the idli shell could be made thinner so more stuffing could go inside. will have to experiment once more with keema.
there is actually a southerin indian dish that is more amenable to rape by paneer or kheema than the idli. it's called a kozhukattai. i think maharashtrians call it modhak or something. you might want to consider that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:17 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:yes i can imagine. had it been melted cheese then it would have been slightly, slightly more appetizing (to look at at least).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 8880327_orig
gross.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:17 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:i had taken a pic of her pizza. let me see if i can find it.
here. she actually got turned off just by the look of it.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 0DPihBL
eww....
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:36 am

rofl rofl 

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:44 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:rofl rofl 
what, orthodoxy is amusing to you? you heathen!!!

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:yes i can imagine. had it been melted cheese then it would have been slightly, slightly more appetizing (to look at at least).

Looks So UnhealDhy!

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:19 pm

VB, you removed the biryani post just as i was about to comment. it had nice colours. but isn't that a bit too much of coriander garnishing or you guys like it that way? anyway, nice to see that you haven't recused yourself from celebrating thanksgiving; on the contrary you are celebrating it with elan.

a friend sent me this image on whatsapp today. he shot it in holiday inn, cairo:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Img-2016

p.s. the IO, investigating officer, who has rejected tejpal's request for time till saturday to appear and who will be questioning him tomorrow, is a woman!  hahahahahahahaaaaha!

p.s.2. post pics of bare bones after you are finished feasting. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Dosai with Green Onion Topping Smile  with Garlic Chutney, home made milagai podi with Olive Oil.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Imag0111

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:50 pm

looks very good FH. healDhy too. Smile thank god no potato masalai. i have to recuse myself from trying to play moderator of this sticky. so, brb.

p.s. PP is not around but i have a problem loading the last page of a thread -- it takes me to the middle of the thread. it is tolerable here but annoying when browsing from phone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:57 pm

FluteHolder wrote:Dosai with Green Onion Topping Smile  with Garlic Chutney, home made milagai podi with Olive Oil.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Imag0111
>>>I ma starting to see various combos at Indian (dosa) parties, where the caterer whips up dosas in the backyard. I could maybe, maybe live with the green onion topping, but the garlic chutney would kill it for me.

P.S. I am more of a plan dosa guy, as long as the coconut chutney is provided in abundance.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Hoojie. I removed it as I decided to send the same pic to my bro on whatsapp. Ever since we have added each other, we send daily pics of stuff to each other. And I avoid cross posting as much as possible. 

That layer on top was chopped mint. You think it's a lot but actually that is a very deep pressure cooker, hence required   

Bottom layer was sliced potatoes, then layers of chicken, cilantro, and mint in between rice, tempered with kesar milk. XH made it. He says it's an easier recipe than Hyderabad biryani. And very very flavorful. 

We are driving in the car with it right now. I skipped food today so that I could feast and the smell is making me so so hungry.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Homemade NorthIndian Chhola / Bhatura.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Smile VB. sorry i thought it was coriander. anyway, have a blast! happy texasgiving to you! enjoy! *it's been ages since i tried chicken biryani -- maybe now is the time*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:15 pm

southindian wrote:Homemade NorthIndian Chhola / Bhatura.
way to go! happy texasgiving to you too. how is northindian chola bhatura different from southindian chola bhatura? wait, don't answer for i'll call my son tomorrow for he eats it frequently in his northindian mess. wait wait... i think i have committed a logical fallacy somewhere here. not sure. i'll reread this post tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Hoojie. I removed it as I decided to send the same pic to my bro on whatsapp. Ever since we have added each other, we send daily pics of stuff to each other. And I avoid cross posting as much as possible. 
i just understood what you meant. i should avoid it too for camera photos.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:rofl rofl 
what, orthodoxy is amusing to you? you heathen!!!
that's atherosclerosis on a plate. nothing to do with orthodoxy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
We are driving in the car with it right now. I skipped food today so that I could feast and the smell is making me so so hungry.
That was what I planned to make today to take to my TG dinner, but changed my mind. It's too much of work to make biryani. I decided to make black pepper chicken on sauted red onion and the three colored peppers instead. simple, colorful and tasty. will share the pic here if it comes out ok. I also got a strawberry crunch cake to make up for the easy recipe.

edit: the cheese isnt' even melted in the cheese uttapam above. Looks like they just sprinkled the grated cheese on top after the uttapam is made. No wonder your niece didn't like it.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:43 pm

michelle2 wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

thank you, michelle (obama?).

hello and welcome to the forum!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:09 am

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 MIa7jc8

Back to top Go down

Post by Tejpal Singh Iyer Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:12 am

I like turkeys stuffed with nans stuffed with idlis stuffed with gefilte fish stuffed with poha. The ultimate synthesizer dish. With a side of hot and sour soup.

Tejpal Singh Iyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:13 am

Mahalakshmi wrote:What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 MIa7jc8
looks like something i could eat just like that, w/o bread or rice. damn i am hungry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:30 am

There goes your fasting... LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:53 pm

appam and isthu

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Appam10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:14 am

bw wrote:appam and isthu

Very nice. Ishtu? Really? You are now northindian?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:34 am

oh man, 1000/1000 for this dish! BW, why won't you be my friend? See, i have a nice smile Smile

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:11 am

Wowie, Halcy! The picture does launch a thousand tastebuds ... wish I could have some right now.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:38 pm

thanks, gc, ha, impy. 'ishtu' it is until they fix "mulligatwany".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:26 pm

chikken korma from kastco. osome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Semiya upma with chutney. Earlier.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Imag1810
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Semiya upma with chutney. Earlier.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Imag1810
oh, looks simple and yummy and reminds me of the 'tiffin' my mother used to serve after school. this is just what i'd like to eat now. hmmm. maybe i should though no amma around to make it Sad

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:55 pm

had no semiya and made vegetable upma instead. i never liked it as a kid and i still don't care for it.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Upma12

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 pm

bw wrote:had no semiya and made vegetable upma instead. i never liked it as a kid and i still don't care for it.

Why not? It is a simple comfort food.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:had no semiya and made vegetable upma instead. i never liked it as a kid and i still don't care for it.

Why not? It is a simple comfort food.
i don't know why - never liked the taste of upma. maybe my mother served it a bit too often. i prefer the plain one to vegetable one but i always throw in some vegetables to make it a bit more nutritious.

of course, arisi upma is completely different and a delicacy.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:34 pm

....made some crème brûlée in an effort to clear the impurities in my brain.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 12 Cremeb10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next