Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

China's real estate

+3
truthbetold
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
7 posters

Go down

China's real estate Empty China's real estate

Post by southindian Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Non-existing supply for non-existent demand.

Will have to see how big China's real estate bubble can become.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

China's real estate Empty Re: China's real estate

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:35 pm

southindian wrote:Non-existing supply for non-existent demand.

I just saw that too..... India was pretty much on those lines...BUT, since it is mostly private-led, the banks, developers, and typical Indians NOT selling homes (not matter what) have eased that hard landing fears...But, still it will be very hard to make money of any investment in Indian real estate - given the black money, Re devaluation, Global Tax, lost investment revenue, risk of losing the apt., etc...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Indian real estate in big cities outstrips inflation in the long run. In India the real estate slogan is location, long term, location and longterm.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:07 pm

truthbetold wrote:Indian real estate in big cities outstrips inflation in the long run. In India the real estate slogan is location,  long term,  location and longterm.
The problem with the real estate in India is the issue of control. The apts lose its "quality" in 10 to 15 years. Unless you have "close" and trusting brothers/sisters/parents, the risk of bad tenants, squatters, are high. That too, if people know that the owners are NRIs, the risk is very high. I know of "quality" complexes 30 to 50% locked up. All bought by NRIs as investment or people who work overseas long term projects.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Indian real estate in big cities outstrips inflation in the long run. In India the real estate slogan is location,  long term,  location and longterm.
The problem with the real estate in India is the issue of control. The apts lose its "quality" in 10 to 15 years. Unless you have "close" and trusting brothers/sisters/parents, the risk of bad tenants, squatters, are high. That too, if people know that the owners are NRIs, the risk is very high. I know of "quality" complexes 30 to 50% locked up. All bought by NRIs as investment or people who work overseas long term projects.
Yes. Safety is a major concern. India could attract lot more investment in real estate if they improve the laws and help homeowners secure their property. But such trivialities are too much of a distraction for ruling elites.

Despite all the dangers and minefields, if you do your homework and pay little more, you can find good investments.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 pm

truthbetold wrote:
The problem with the real estate in India is the issue of control. The apts lose its "quality" in 10 to 15 years.  Unless you have "close" and trusting brothers/sisters/parents, the risk of bad tenants, squatters, are high. That too, if people know that the owners are NRIs, the risk is very high. I know of "quality" complexes 30 to 50% locked up. All bought by NRIs as investment or people who work overseas long term projects.
Yes. Safety is a major concern. India could attract lot more investment in real estate if they improve the laws and help homeowners secure their property. But such trivialities are too much of a distraction for ruling elites.

Despite all the dangers and minefields,  if you do your homework and pay little more,  you can find good investments.
I have a home and a residential plots that I bought far away on the outskirts of Madras. Those will go up in value only when Madras expands its corporation limits and builds beltway with a radius of 30 miles. Would like to get some plots in some other cities, but cant afford, and investment purposes - not so sure and I have been losing interest looking at the hassles.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Uppili,
Do not know much about Madras. I like the city for its unadulterated Indian quality. (Mumbai and Delhi seem confused between east and west).

Madras is good for now and 20 or 30 years from now. Stick to it.
Coimbatore grew leaps and bounds from the time I lived there.

Try Hyderabad now. Real estate is down. It will take 5 or more years but it will come back with a bang.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:53 pm

truthbetold wrote:Uppili,
Do not know much about Madras. I like the city for its unadulterated Indian quality. (Mumbai and Delhi seem confused between east and west).

Try Hyderabad now. Real estate is down. It will take 5 or more years but it will come back with a bang.
I dont feel comfortable about places that I dont know much about...Even Bangalore is alien to me. Coimbatore to Mysore is my specialty...and comfy zone. But, Coimbatore is out of my price range. In any case, I am out of real estate stuff in India....I think I have enough to drive my 150K car forever.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:38 am

I got some hyd real estate I can sell to you at a discount. what do you need? acres, plots, apt? near international airport, jubilee hills, rd#12, near ramoji studios???? where do you need?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:43 am

The problem with the real estate in India is the issue of control. The apts lose its "quality" in 10 to 15 years.  Unless you have "close" and trusting brothers/sisters/parents, the risk of bad tenants, squatters, are high. That too, if people know that the owners are NRIs, the risk is very high. I know of "quality" complexes 30 to 50% locked up. All bought by NRIs as investment or people who work overseas long term projects.
whoever told you that apartments or even commercial property keeps up with inflation? tbt meant land in the long run beats inflation in india & not some vertical building that's really nothing more than a depreciating asset making piddly 3-5% return on investment rent-wise in worst case and with single digit annual gains in the best case.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:56 am

I just saw that too..... India was pretty much on those lines...BUT, since it is mostly private-led, the banks, developers, and typical Indians NOT selling homes (not matter what) have eased that hard landing fears...But, still it will be very hard to make money of any investment in Indian real estate - given the black money, Re devaluation, Global Tax, lost investment revenue, risk of losing the apt., etc...
Amazing to see miles and miles of residential and office buildings and not one occupied. KFC, Apple and McDonald tags in malls just to show they could be there, but companies never asked for space.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:55 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

I got some hyd real estate I can sell to you at a discount. what do you need? acres, plots, apt? near international airport, jubilee hills, rd#12, near ramoji studios???? where do you need?
I am on the market to buy. Send me details if you are really looking for a buyer.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

I am on the market to buy. Send me details if you are really looking for a buyer.
 what are you looking for, specifically? will send a note

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Prop
i influenced several of my cousins who want sell in hyd and buy land in andhra . now they see them as two different decisions.
the current troubled situation is not a good time to sell. lot of weak hands will let
go. hyd will be a strong economy with andhra people thriving. It won't be like 90s or 2000s. But hyd economy will thrive.
Charvaka and i will be there to backstop any major drop. haha!

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:14 pm

southindian wrote:

Amazing to see miles and miles of residential and office buildings and not one occupied. KFC, Apple and McDonald tags in malls just to show they could be there, but companies never asked for space.
What is interesting is that the billionaire woman - who does ONLY office high rises - indicating only that sector has market. Also the biggest builder in China - who specializes in residential - claiming that the bubble can burst.

Here is the 60 min segment on Chinese real estate...the next coming.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 pm

southindian wrote:

What is interesting is that the billionaire woman - who does ONLY office high rises - indicating only that sector has market. Also the biggest builder in China - who specializes in residential - claiming that the bubble can burst.

Here is the 60 min segment on Chinese real estate...the next coming.
Yes, I watched 60 Minutes last night. Miles and miles of unoccupied, newly-built high-risers. The builders/investors are in serious trouble unless foreign investments start pouring in to lift the income level of the general population that cannot currently afford the cost of these luxury condos. The entire stretch is like a ghost city. Even many commercial buildings have been abandoned for lack of capital after they have been built half way. This bubble is bound to burst unless the Chinese government intervenes and finds ways to subsidize.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:48 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Yes, I watched 60 Minutes last night. Miles and miles of unoccupied, newly-built high-risers. The builders/investors are in serious trouble unless foreign investments start pouring in to lift the income level of the general population that cannot currently afford the cost of these luxury condos. The entire stretch is like a ghost city. Even many commercial buildings have been abandoned for lack of capital after they have been built half way. This bubble is bound to burst unless the Chinese government intervenes and finds ways to subsidize.
So China's grip on America's b@$$s will be further tightened; I mean I'm trying assess the impact of this on America's economy.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:03 pm

truthbetold wrote:Prop
i influenced several of my cousins who want sell in hyd and buy land in andhra . now they see them as two different decisions.
the current troubled situation is not a good time to sell. lot of weak hands will let
go. hyd will be a strong economy with andhra people thriving. It won't be like 90s or 2000s. But hyd economy will thrive.
Charvaka and i will be there to backstop any major drop. haha!
explain to me why hyd property prices will go up significantly soemtime in near future.. 

here's mine on why it wont: with this revenue sharing deal and continued uncertainty on the city's capital status, there is no good reason for large industrial and corporate investments to move into the city, especially if small businesses might relocate elsewhere and established salaried people might end up moving out as part of building an alternate capital. and egalitarian PC statements aside, there isnt a leader in telangana that is capable of wooing industries away from other states that are growing gangbusters. and yes in the absence of strong leadership, you need personalities that can woo/cajole/charm large industries to setup shop and T sure as shit doesnt have them. govt was making tons of money in land registrations and sale over the past decade, what impact will lack of sales and buy interest have on their revenue and will it not feed the vicious loop driving properties further? 

not sure if you know this but there's already a glut of built property in the city, which is why lots of new apt developers keep dragging their feet on completing projects. just to give you a hint of how bad things are, commercial property that was fetching 40 rs/sq ft in one of the premium locations 5 yrs ago is now fetching 28-30, that's after 5 yrs of 8+% of annual inflation.  apartments in film nagar that supposedly cost 5000/sq ft are fetching more than 10 rs/sq ft in rent, mostly on par with other cities in seemandhra. you can buy premium commercial land on several of the banjara roads for less than 1 lakh/sq yard, premium lands in freaking guntur are worth atleast that and more.

you can look at all this and say good, things are depressed in hyd and will only get better. RE investment isnt like stock investments...you cant just take a contrarian position and hope things get better. they trade on medium to long term trends and trend is down down down with more uncertainty down the road

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:08 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
So China's grip on America's b@$$s will be further tightened; I mean I'm trying assess the impact of this on America's economy.
nothing. china's got no other game in town other than holding US debt in watered down US currency and keep buying whatever little basic materials (oil, copper, coal etc) with US currency. what is the alternative, euro or yen? and they'll only get weaker industrially, it's too long to go into in this thread. 

it must hurt you deeply to hear that US is back at the helm again but it looks like the sheriff is still alive and is still a swinging dick.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
America does contribute largely to the Chinese economy. But the Chinese have also entered the international trade arena significantly because of product diversity and cheaper costs. It will be interesting to see the % contributions of foreign countries to China's income. The irony is that, if the average Chinese citizen has to earn more to afford these luxury homes, then the cost of goods has to become higher that would negate the cost advantage China has enjoyed over the last 3 decades. Besides, many foreign countries are also trying to improve their economy and reduce their trade deficit by having more products produced domestically. So the bubble is a serious problem for China.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:and egalitarian PC statements aside, there isnt a leader in telangana that is capable of wooing industries away from other states that are growing gangbusters. and yes in the absence of strong leadership, you need personalities that can woo/cajole/charm large industries to setup shop and T sure as shit doesnt have them. 
This exact statement could have been made about all of Andhra Pradesh before 1995. And it would have been true. Until Naidu/Nitish/Modi/Chauhan showed up and started making noises about attracting investors, those states had no one to do that for them. 

My read on Hyderabad is that it has been one of India's largest cities for more than fifty years before AP was formed, and it will continue to play that role even if AP is bifurcated. The basic factors of the Telugus' overinvestment in engineering / IT education, strong educational institutions, presence of large-scale industry, and a cosmopolitan (in the Indian context) culture are not going to disappear any time soon. These factors will make it more attractive even for Seemandhra businessmen to do business in Hyderabad than in the smaller cities of SA. 

IMO, the current fears about Hyderabad as an investment destination are similar to fears about Bombay as a destination in the 1960s. Any Gujaratis who sold in Bombay in the early '60s regretted those decisions as Bombay continued to be the largest and most prosperous city in the erstwhile Bombay state -- even as other cities like Ahmedabad closed the gap with Bombay. 
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
nothing. china's got no other game in town other than holding US debt in watered down US currency and keep buying whatever little basic materials (oil, copper, coal etc) with US currency. what is the alternative, euro or yen? and they'll only get weaker industrially, it's too long to go into in this thread. 

it must hurt you deeply to hear that US is back at the helm again but it looks like the sheriff is still alive and is still a swinging dick.
*ahem* who gets credit for the turnaround, if any, Dubya?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:and egalitarian PC statements aside, there isnt a leader in telangana that is capable of wooing industries away from other states that are growing gangbusters. and yes in the absence of strong leadership, you need personalities that can woo/cajole/charm large industries to setup shop and T sure as shit doesnt have them. 
This exact statement could have been made about all of Andhra Pradesh before 1995. And it would have been true. Until Naidu/Nitish/Modi/Chauhan showed up and started making noises about attracting investors, those states had no one to do that for them. 

My read on Hyderabad is that it has been one of India's largest cities for more than fifty years before AP was formed, and it will continue to play that role even if AP is bifurcated. The basic factors of the Telugus' overinvestment in engineering / IT education, strong educational institutions, presence of large-scale industry, and a cosmopolitan (in the Indian context) culture are not going to disappear any time soon. These factors will make it more attractive even for Seemandhra businessmen to do business in Hyderabad than in the smaller cities of SA. 

IMO, the current fears about Hyderabad as an investment destination are similar to fears about Bombay as a destination in the 1960s. Any Gujaratis who sold in Bombay in the early '60s regretted those decisions as Bombay continued to be the largest and most prosperous city in the erstwhile Bombay state -- even as other cities like Ahmedabad closed the gap with Bombay. 
 you keep pointing to similarities to bombay in 1960s. am not convinced they are similar and even if they are, too much uncertainty to hang ones hat on. I would like to be pleasantly surprised but will hedge bets all the same.

the statements about same commentary applying to andhra pre-95 is simply not true. the state produced engineers, technologist & passionate leaders that are head and shoulders above what's out there currently in T-scape. again hard to hang ones' hat on similarities and possibilities...if you want to convince yourself go ahead but am far more cynicalan

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

euro zone implosion due to their socialist nirvanas collapsing, property bubble bursting etc. effects of unwinding of financial bubble created by cheap credit, end of commodity super cycle etc etc. also obama's message of hope and change.

PS: can you wapo jockeys seriously claim that obama's policies in some way caused US to get back on top again?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Idéfix wrote:

Ones that got on board during peak are screwed, there is no upside for them but I doubt if prices will ever go down to pre-hitech city levels. At the same time I'm afraid road to recovery is a long one, will take a decade or even longer, as   investors turn their immediate attention to SeemAndhra capital as well as seemAndhraites migration to Hyd will slowdown.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

euro zone implosion due to their socialist nirvanas collapsing, property bubble bursting etc. effects of unwinding of financial bubble created by cheap credit, end of commodity super cycle etc etc. also obama's message of hope and change.

PS: can you wapo jockeys seriously claim that obama's policies in some way caused US to get back on top again?
Yeah, anybody but Obama. Never mind that we were starting at nothing short of our own implosion into 1930s style great depression when Obama was elected, and his team did remarkable job of pulling back from the very brink.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:So China's grip on America's b@$$s will be further tightened; I mean I'm trying assess the impact of this on America's economy.

Yeah, anybody but Obama. Never mind that we were starting at nothing short of our own implosion into 1930s style great depression when Obama was elected, and his team did remarkable job of pulling back from the very brink.
 what did they do? I mean the fed isnt part of the administration, right?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:02 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Ones that got on board during peak are screwed, there is no upside for them but I doubt if prices will ever go down to pre-hitech city levels. At the same time I'm afraid road to recovery is a long one, will take a decade or even longer, as   investors turn their immediate attention to SeemAndhra capital as well as seemAndhraites migration to Hyd will slowdown.
Yes, those who bought at the peak will lose, and like you I can't imagine a return to 1990s prices. I think in the short term returns may be higher in whichever city gets picked as SA capital. But I doubt they will agree on a city in the next 4-5 years. And yes, migration of Seemandhra people to Hyderabad will slow down for sure, but I think in the long term, it will continue to be a net migration from SA to Hyderabad, rather than a migration of people of SA origin from Hyderabad to SA.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:nothing. china's got no other game in town other than holding US debt in watered down US currency and keep buying whatever little basic materials (oil, copper, coal etc) with US currency. what is the alternative, euro or yen? and they'll only get weaker industrially, it's too long to go into in this thread. 

what did they do? I mean the fed isnt part of the administration, right?
The stimulus, preventing a meltdown of the auto industry, bank stress tests (Treasury policy executed by the Fed), and the far-from-perfect Dodd-Frank and CPA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Recovery_and_Reinvestment_Act_of_2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_the_2008%E2%80%932010_automotive_industry_crisis_on_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodd-Frank
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Supervisory_Capital_Assessment_Program_(SCAP)

Guess what the GOP said to any of those moves that required Congressional approval.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

what are you looking for, specifically? will send a note
I am looking for plots, no more than 5 km beyond ORR, west/southwest of the city, most interested around Gachibowli, considering the arc between Shamshabad and Patancheru.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Idéfix wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Ones that got on board during peak are screwed, there is no upside for them but I doubt if prices will ever go down to pre-hitech city levels. At the same time I'm afraid road to recovery is a long one, will take a decade or even longer, as   investors turn their immediate attention to SeemAndhra capital as well as seemAndhraites migration to Hyd will slowdown.
Yes, those who bought at the peak will lose, and like you I can't imagine a return to 1990s prices. I think in the short term returns may be higher in whichever city gets picked as SA capital. But I doubt they will agree on a city in the next 4-5 years. And yes, migration of Seemandhra people to Hyderabad will slow down for sure, but I think in the long term, it will continue to be a net migration from SA to Hyderabad, rather than a migration of people of SA origin from Hyderabad to SA.
That will only prolong the catch-22 situation we have been in for the last 4-5 years. The sooner the issues are worked out the better for Hyd's bounce back. Like Propa said there is a lot of built property all around the city; everyone has been procrastinating on state bifurcation decision, delaying the decision on new capital won't help the situation, they will keep holding. Just as an example, I'm involved with a RE venture in Nizampet area that started in '07 can't get rid of it despite being ready to take 50% loss. Long term is relative in this case, could end up being a VERY long-away-term unless we see another bubble.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:39 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
That will only prolong the catch-22 situation we have been in for the last 4-5 years. The sooner the issues are worked out the better for Hyd's bounce back. Like Propa said there is a lot of built property all around the city; everyone has been procrastinating on state bifurcation decision, delaying the decision on new capital won't help the situation, they will keep holding. Just as an example, I'm involved with a RE venture in Nizampet area that started in '07 can't get rid of it despite being ready to take 50% loss. Long term is relative in this case, could end up being a VERY long-away-term unless we see another bubble.
Yes, it will be good to have it all settled and be done sooner rather than later, but I am afraid that is not practical. I just think that between the different lobbies within SA pushing their own cities and the already-invested politicians trying to make the most of their own portfolios, it will be hard to put together a consensus bargain that holds the test of ten years and two full election cycles. So I think this one will be postponed until it cannot possibly be postponed any longer. My prediction: SA won't settle on a capital before the 2019 elections. 

Once the new state is inaugurated, any delay by SA in choosing a capital will only help Hyderabad, because of uncertainty on the other side. It basically prolongs Hyderabad's role as dual capital, so from a strictly real estate value perspective, it is good for investors.

Of course, all these are speculations. All it takes for the Hyderabad market to really tank and do that in a hurry is for a stupid guy like KCR to become CM and continue his statements against the people of SA origin who live in Telangana.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 am

Prop ,
you made several valid points in challenging 5 year recovery. i will return to this topic when i have some time.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down