Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an article for sadguru to read

+8
Hellsangel
Petrichor
Rishi
garam_kuta
Vakavaka Pakapaka
FluteHolder
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

an article for sadguru to read Empty an article for sadguru to read

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/magazine/the-island-where-people-forget-to-die.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

please forward this to him.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

an article for sadguru to read Empty Re: an article for sadguru to read

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/magazine/the-island-where-people-forget-to-die.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

please forward this to him.
So..it looks like only Mainstreet will live to be a 100.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:08 pm

I forwarded your link to the contact I know in this org. 

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:13 pm

the reason i posted that was to make the point that moderate daily alcohol consumption has been a party of these greek nonegenarians' lives for a long time. they are none the worse for it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 pm

I understand the reason you posted but I doubt that. Show me a well researched article which supports your theory done by real doctors who didnot get any benefit from those who funded the research. Ikarian's health may be not necessarily due to alcohol but may be other things they have/do and the alcohol's ill effect may be negligible or overcome by the +ve things do/have.

IMO, alcohol is just an acquired taste  makes one feel high which some may get in other things like good music etc..

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:10 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the reason i posted that was to make the point that moderate daily alcohol consumption has been a party of these greek nonegenarians' lives for a long time. they are none the worse for it.
If they also eat Gongoora while sipping some alcohol, they may live even longer!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Andhra-Pradesh-has-highest-number-of-centenarians-in-south-India/articleshow/22998325.cms

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:55 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I understand the reason you posted but I doubt that. Show me a well researched article which supports your theory done by real doctors who didnot get any benefit from those who funded the research. Ikarian's health may be not necessarily due to alcohol but may be other things they have/do and the alcohol's ill effect may be negligible or overcome by the +ve things do/have.

IMO, alcohol is just an acquired taste  makes one feel high which some may get in other things like good music etc..
ellAm kudikArappasanga pOla...Laughing 

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html#.UkH6xIashcY and references therein - I confess i know nothing about any conflict of interest in these studies ( to be honest, I lgoogled only for the study referenced below)

25. Østergaard Pedersen J, Heitmann BL, Schnohr P, Grønbæk M. The combined influence of leisure-time physical activity and weekly alcohol intake on fatal ischaemic heart disease and all-cause mortality. European Heart Journal 2008; DOI:10.1093/eurheartj/ehm574.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2885161/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:11 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I forwarded your link to the contact I know in this org. 

>>> What the hell is 8th dimension?

I have a hard time even with 3 dimensions.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:24 pm

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20130917-a-jewel-at-the-heart-of-quantum-physics/

some people don't need the highs of alcohol.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:31 pm

clue for the clueless: unless you are twenty and in college, getting high or getting hammered is not the goal of partaking moderate amounts of alcohol. it's part of dinner and adds to its enjoyment.

there are two groups of people (there may be more, but these are the ones i am familar with) that i know who continue to deny the benefits of moderate alcohol consumption in the face of overwhelming evidence -- mormons and orthodox tambrahms.

of course if you are genetically prone to alcoholism you SHOULD stay away even from one drink.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
there are two groups of people (there may be more, but these are the ones i am familar with) that i know who continue to deny the benefits of moderate alcohol consumption in the face of overwhelming evidence -- mormons and orthodox tambrahms.
of course there are those who drink iyengar whiskey to be discrete, to hide from prying eyes-- scotch in a stainless steel tumbler.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:clue for the clueless: unless you are twenty and in college, getting high or getting hammered is not the goal of partaking moderate amounts of alcohol. it's part of dinner and adds to its enjoyment.

of course if you are genetically prone to alcoholism you SHOULD stay away even from one drink.
>>> You left out one important group.

Muslims.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:clue for the clueless: unless you are twenty and in college, getting high or getting hammered is not the goal of partaking moderate amounts of alcohol. it's part of dinner and adds to its enjoyment.

>>> You left out one important group.

Muslims.

In which country?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 pm

the muslims i know in india and in the US are normal alcohol drinkers.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:48 pm

most of the fear about alcohol consumption comes from a fear of alcohol addiction. that doesn't mean, despite strenuous objections, that there isn't a dividing line between moderate, healthy, and socially acceptable alcohol consumption and getting lit up every single day like a christmas tree.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:23 pm

I didn't get as to why Sadhguru should read this one?!

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote: who drink iyengar whiskey to be [s]discrete[/s] discreet,  to hide from prying eyes--
1. Tambrahms have seen too many tamil movies with melodramatic consequences due to 'imbibing'.
2. Average Muslim (an endangered species) is similar to an average tambrahm (an extinct species) when it comes to acceptance of 'discreet' consumption.
3. One of the first acts of "assimilation" for the indigent I-20 card-carrying Indian student is to taste alcohol from dixie cups. Very few among them manage to graduate to moderate consumption and urbane habits.
4. Not drinking these days is the equivalent of not having facebook esp. if you are in twenties.
5. There is nothing wrong with very moderate levels of alcohol consumption - as there is nothing wrong in politely declining and being a party-pooper.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Petrichor wrote:https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20130917-a-jewel-at-the-heart-of-quantum-physics/

some people don't need the highs of alcohol.
hmm.. that'd be a tall order- unless one is not a frequent drinker;) 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:26 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I forwarded your link to the contact I know in this org. 

8th dimension? navel? someone great there coz his beads started oscillating? scratch

i admire the fact that he can say all this with a straight face. he too talks about SELF! if SELF comes, can a few swigs be far behind?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Petrichor wrote:
5. There is nothing wrong with very moderate levels of alcohol consumption - as there is nothing wrong in politely declining and being a party-pooper.
agree. however, i don't like sermonizing against alcohol and i also don't like people who strenuously try to induce an unwilling person to drink.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:47 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
agree. however, i don't like sermonizing against alcohol and i also don't like people who strenuously try to induce an unwilling person to drink.
I have seen too many times where a naive girl is goaded into a drink too many while the veteran drinkers wink and smile at each other, awaiting the equivalent of a "money shot", while everyone including the girl is looking for plausible deniability later on.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Petrichor wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
I have seen too many times where a naive girl is goaded into a drink too many while the veteran drinkers wink and smile at each other, awaiting the equivalent of a "money shot", while everyone including the girl is looking for plausible deniability later on.

we've decided that the best way to talk about alcohol to kids is not to make it sound like it is forbidden fruit. i know folks who try to hide their everyday drinking from kids. we have never done that. alcohol in moderation is part of everyday living. there is nothing exotic about it. too much of it can destroy your liver and you can lose control and be taken advantage of.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

I think his 8th dimension refers to yogic/body points or nerve centers.

an article for sadguru to read 8circu10

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:02 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I think his 8th dimension refers to yogic/body points or nerve centers.

aha! so the eighth dimension has to do with non-local quantum phenomena. i knew it! the sadguru and chopra bhai are jigri dosts.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 pm

flutie -- will you please organize a quantum consciousness summit and invite dr.chopra and sadguru as keynote speakers and panelists? i'll pay top dollar to attend that one.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:36 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I think his 8th dimension refers to yogic/body points or nerve centers.

Reminds me of the absorption refrigeration cycle... Wonder if Sadguru copied it...Razz he seems to have copied everything else from my life.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:39 pm

inner engineering? memetic algorithm? aha, this swami will amuse me for quite some time it seems. so much to read. i needed a change from deepak chopra.

http://www.innerengineering.com/home.php

i am considering a change of profession. i am sure i too can come up with such theories. can't do the beard, robe thing though.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:10 pm

i have been having similar thoughts bw, and i have the advantage. i can easily do the beard.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Reminds me of the absorption refrigeration cycle... Wonder if Sadguru copied it...Razz he seems to have copied everything else from my life.
Looks like UPA's economic policy for India!  I think Sadguru should join MT's party. He will make a lot more money there. He'll be fine as long as he takes money bags regularly to a particular house in Delhi, tells Pappu that he is extremely brilliant and doesn't become too ambitious like Jagan.

Last edited by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 pm

btw i thought inner engineering was the brand name for thermal underwear.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have been having similar thoughts bw, and i have the advantage. i can easily do the beard.
damn. i don't like hugging random people - maybe a tap on the head with my knuckles shall be my trademark. i shall be the Mata Tapamma. a tap with just the right force will awaken all the hypercubes in the body and once they all start rotating in unison, the emetic algorithm will be triggered and you experience a soul cleansing ritual. the strings that hold the universe start to vibrate in unison to give a cosmic equilibrium across all parallel universes.

here are some useful tips.

http://www.asianage.com/columnists/how-become-guru-695

Last edited by bw on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:04 am

bw wrote:inner engineering? memetic algorithm? aha, this swami will amuse me for quite some time it seems. so much to read. i needed a change from deepak chopra.

i am considering a change of profession. i am sure i too can come up with such theories. can't do the beard, robe thing though.
Beard and robe are not the only means to Gurudom.
an article for sadguru to read 321785-shri-radhe-maa-birthday-celebration
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:05 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have been having similar thoughts bw, and i have the advantage. i can easily do the beard.
damn. i don't like hugging random people - maybe a tap on the head with my knuckles shall be my trademark. i shall be the Mata Tapamma. a tap with just the right force will awaken all the hypercubes in the body and once they all start rotating in unison, the emetic algorithm will be triggered and you experience a soul cleansing ritual. the strings that hold the universe  start to vibrate in unison to give a cosmic equilibrium across all parallel universes.

here are some useful tips.

http://www.asianage.com/columnists/how-become-guru-695
lol!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:inner engineering? memetic algorithm? aha, this swami will amuse me for quite some time it seems. so much to read. i needed a change from deepak chopra.

Beard and robe are not the only means to Gurudom.
an article for sadguru to read 321785-shri-radhe-maa-birthday-celebration
Wow! Boutique Gurus
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 am

Why do people believe in quantum physics (Nima's amplituhedron) when it leads to N-dimensions and the illusory nature of time and space, while they reserve their derison for Sadhgurus? In both cases, it is clear there is a very small number of people who can either prove or falsify the theories.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:06 am

Petrichor wrote:Why do people believe in quantum physics (Nima's amplituhedron) when it leads to N-dimensions and the illusory nature of time and space, while they reserve their derison for Sadhgurus? In both cases, it is clear there is a very small number of people who can either prove or falsify the theories.

Because you can congratulate yourself thinking about the amplituhedron and there will be many who will think that you are brilliant and come to you for answers!

Sipping whiskey is more sophisticated than drinking hooch!

A young budding sadhu looking for a guru, goes to a river where an old sadhu was meditating under a tree. A beautiful naked lady was having a bath in the river. The old sadhu looks at her and says, "disgusting". Disappointed, the budding sadhu walks away and becomes a common man.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 am

Petrichor wrote:Why do people believe in quantum physics (Nima's amplituhedron) when it leads to N-dimensions and the illusory nature of time and space, while they reserve their derison for Sadhgurus? In both cases, it is clear there is a very small number of people who can either prove or falsify the theories.

i am not familiar with the amplituhedron concept that you posted, but in general the predictions of quantum mechanics have been experimentally verified over and over again. not only that, our electronic world as it is today will not have been possible without the firm understanding of QM and its implications. there are still deep unanswered questions in QM as they relate to the very fabric of the universe, but the practical questions have been answered to a very large degree. but QM is not nearly as entertaining as making fun of the sadhgurus.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Because you can congratulate yourself thinking about the amplituhedron and there will be many who will think that you are brilliant and come to you for answers!

A young budding sadhu looking for a guru, goes to a river where an old sadhu was meditating under a tree. A beautiful naked lady was having a bath in the river. The old sadhu looks at her and says, "disgusting". Disappointed, the budding sadhu walks away and becomes a common man.
Is it just me that finds one part of your post completely disconnected or sometimes even contradicting other parts?!!

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:29 am

This Sadguru seems to have a fake US accent that many Indians who move to the US acquire.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:31 am

smArtha wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Because you can congratulate yourself thinking about the amplituhedron and there will be many who will think that you are brilliant and come to you for answers!

Is it just me that finds one part of your post completely disconnected or sometimes even contradicting other parts?!!
The Sadhu? :-)

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 am

Hellsangel wrote:This Sadguru seems to have a fake US accent that many Indians who move to the US acquire.
he has a nice singing voice which he could improve by practice and voice culture if he wanted to. what's that plumbline like thing he is holding between his fingers from which he concluded that something very powerful sat there? he looked like prof cuthbert calculus when he did that.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:35 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote: but QM is not nearly as entertaining as making fun of the sadhgurus.
So QMs make fun of Gurus and Gurus make fun of QMs and the world goes on..

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:44 am

smArtha wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote: but QM is not nearly as entertaining as making fun of the sadhgurus.
in the world of QM lessons, there is only one sadguru. this guy:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 am

petrichor -- is this the article you were referring to? (https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20130917-a-jewel-at-the-heart-of-quantum-physics/)

i always have this problem with articles like this. the subject matter to begin with is very abstruse, and describes in text with the aid of a few figures something whose proper description lies in mathematics. i find natural language inadequate, but when i try to access the original paper, the math is too dense and requires a lot of effort for a non-specialist with a reasonable understanding of grad level QM to even get a glimpse. so no high for me unfortunately.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am

Something not very entertaining:

http://susy2013.ictp.it/video/05_Friday/2013_08_30_Arkani-Hamed_4-3.html

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:02 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
smArtha wrote:
in the world of QM lessons, there is only one sadguru. this guy:

I cannot view videos or audit audios at work. If there is something to read post the same.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 am

Just realized sadguru would probably be read by Westerners as sad guru.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 am

smArtha wrote:Is it just me that finds one part of your post completely disconnected or sometimes even contradicting other parts?!!
I also had that question. What is the moral of the story here?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:The Sadhu? :-)
So you agree with my observation.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down