Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mr Tejpal, enough is enough!

+6
smArtha
Vakavaka Pakapaka
MaxEntropy_Man
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
southindian
10 posters

Go down

Mr Tejpal, enough is enough! Empty Mr Tejpal, enough is enough!

Post by southindian Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

Mr Tejpal, enough is enough!

Here's what Shoma Chaudhury says with her job on the line

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/shoma-chaudhury-defends-tehelka-action-in-sexual-assault-case/20131122.htm
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Mr Tejpal, enough is enough! Empty Re: Mr Tejpal, enough is enough!

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:26 am

I suppose journalists in India have this moral superiority and try to explain away their actions as justified or above reproach.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:29 am

what did he do, kiss her or pinch her ass? much ado over nothing but yeah this is political football season

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:what did he do, kiss her or pinch her ass? much ado over nothing but yeah this is political football season
in such matters if it is difficult to find empathy, it helps to imagine oneself in the shoes of a male blood relative of the victim. empathy flows automatically. i doubt there is anything remotely political about all this. he couldn't keep the snake in the cage. that's all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:40 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:what did he do, kiss her or pinch her ass? much ado over nothing but yeah this is political football season
in such matters if it is difficult to find empathy, it helps to imagine oneself in the shoes of a male blood relative of the victim. empathy flows automatically. i doubt there is anything remotely political about all this. he couldn't keep the snake in the cage. that's all.
there was no sex, it was supposedly a minute of 'encounter' in an elevator. at end of the day it's a he said she said without evidence. who's to say she isn't some spurned chick that's out for revenge?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:44 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
there was no sex, it was supposedly a minute of 'encounter' in an elevator. at end of the day it's a he said she said without evidence. who's to say she isn't some spurned chick that's out for revenge?
the evidence is his email apologizing to his co-editor at tehelka and his text message apologies to the alleged victim. why apologize if it was consensual?

to preserve its credibility the indian media, particularly the liberal media has to treat him with the same ferocity they reserve for swamis and politicians they criticize about the same peccadilloes.

oh and apparently there is also CCTV footage.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:50 am

goes without saying this is disappointing. i liked the guy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:52 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:goes without saying this is disappointing. i liked the guy.
You should read the Telegraph piece about liberal politicians, Il Professor-ai.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:53 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
We haven't seen everything yet. The way it is going for Tejpal, other women in the organization may come forward and add fuel to the fire. I even suspect that Shoma may be a bit ticked off that he is going after OTHER women LOL. So, who knows, she may come out and say that he did #$@& to her. Apparently, he is now wealthy. The way it is going, Tehelka may fold and Shoma may want to cash in while she can.

Just thinking of a script for a hot movie. LOL.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:55 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
the evidence is his email apologizing to his co-editor at tehelka and his text message apologies to the alleged victim. why apologize if it was consensual?

to preserve its credibility the indian media, particularly the liberal media has to treat him with the same ferocity they reserve for swamis and politicians they criticize about the same peccadilloes.

Apparently, he owns the hotel! So, his friends in the dynastic party can do a CONjob and make the CCTV footage evaporate.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I didnt know abt his sending SMS to the girl. that changes everything. it might just be a case of misreading the situation, like she put out some +ve vibes but had buyers remorse. it is possible. it's not a great crime that ppl have to kill his career over, and that;s why I said it's politically motivated. but all things said and done, libbies do the same thing so it's a wash I guess

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I didnt know abt his sending SMS to the girl. that changes everything. it might just be a case of misreading the situation, like she put out some +ve vibes but had buyers remorse. it is possible. it's not a great crime that ppl have to kill his career over, and that;s why I said it's politically motivated. but all things said and done, libbies do the same thing so it's a wash I guess
I think the management at Tehelka is banking on the fact that the victim won't want this tried in a criminal court and will potentially retract her claim or not cooperate with the police. Most women in India do not want to get entangled in a case like this. The recent high profile cases involving the politician in Kerala, where the actress dropped the charges and the intern of the Supreme Court Judge who was a no-show at the inquiry point to a pattern.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in such matters if it is difficult to find empathy, it helps to imagine oneself in the shoes of a male blood relative of the victim. empathy flows automatically. i doubt there is anything remotely political about all this. he couldn't keep the snake in the cage. that's all.

I think the management at Tehelka is banking on the fact that the victim won't want this tried in a criminal court and will potentially retract her claim or not cooperate with the police. Most women in India do not want to get entangled in a case like this. The recent high profile cases involving the politician in Kerala, where the actress dropped the charges and the intern of the Supreme Court Judge who was a no-show at the inquiry point to a pattern.
then some of the blame lies with women too. i am not blaming them for the assault they endured, i.e. i am not "blaming the victims". but i am blaming them for not doing their part in bringing about societal change. they need to do the right thing and see these types of things through in court even if it means outing themselves publicly.

easy for me to say though.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in such matters if it is difficult to find empathy, it helps to imagine oneself in the shoes of a male blood relative of the victim. empathy flows automatically. i doubt there is anything remotely political about all this. he couldn't keep the snake in the cage. that's all.

The claim in some news reports that the intern had failed to turn up at the SC in the enquiry is false:

http://www.legallyindia.com/201311214129/Bar-Bench-Litigation/intern-named-judge-to-inquiry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Apparently, he owns the hotel! So, his friends in the dynastic party can do a CONjob and make the CCTV footage evaporate.
He doesn't personally own the hotel. Also the Goa police already have footage of the CCTV footage and they say there is a prima facie case against Tejpal. Tejpal's goose has been cooked.

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:27 pm

The below URL had the full text of the email the victim sent to Shoma with all the graphic and minute details of what transpired in the elevator, the actions she took and the text of messages Tejpal exchanged with her over the last few days. This is now removed after other media houses cried foul about it as invasion of her privacy. If the account is true, Tejpal can be booked under attempt to rape as he seems to have disrobed her and forced attempted his tongue and fingers into her. He tried repeating it the next day too but she was more alert this time and so he couldn't go beyond feeling her up. And when the victim recounted this to Tejpal's daughter (who also happens to be a close friend of the victim) the daughter did remark that she believes it as she herself had seen him do this to another woman when was about thirteen. Tejpal started becoming a defensive once his daughter called him up and asked him to restrict himself to his own pants. So this is not a one time transgression with the victim and if his daughter can be believed not also with just one woman. 

http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/chandigarh/full-text-of-assault-victim-s-e-mail-to-tehelka-managing-editor/article1-1154308.aspx

Google Cached content is here

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fBoxRcvYyDoJ:www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/chandigarh/full-text-of-assault-victim-s-e-mail-to-tehelka-managing-editor/article1-1154308.aspx+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:36 pm

southindian wrote:Mr Tejpal, enough is enough!

Here's what Shoma Chaudhury says with her job on the line

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/shoma-chaudhury-defends-tehelka-action-in-sexual-assault-case/20131122.htm
This is a good example for the saying:

Women are their own worst enemies.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Hellsangel wrote:I suppose journalists in India have this moral superiority and try to explain away their actions as justified or above reproach.
India is not a country where self-policing works.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:44 pm

smArtha wrote:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fBoxRcvYyDoJ:www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/chandigarh/full-text-of-assault-victim-s-e-mail-to-tehelka-managing-editor/article1-1154308.aspx+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Your URL got screwed up. I am pasting the contents here:

Dear Shoma,
It is extremely painful for me to write this email to you – I have
struggled with finding an easier way to say it, but there isn’t one.
The editor in chief of Tehelka, Tarun Tejpal, sexually assaulted me at
Think on two occasions last week.

From the very first moment, I wanted to call you, or find you and tell you what he had done to me – but
given how absorbed you were at Think; preparing for and conducting
sessions, and the fact that it was impossible for the two of us to get
even a minute alone together, I could not. To add to this, I had to
process the fact that it was Tarun who molested me — my father’s ex
colleague and friend, Tiya’s dad, and someone I had so deeply
respected and admired for so many years.

Both times, I returned to my room in a completely distraught
condition, trembling and crying. I went straight to Shougat and
Ishan’s room, where I called G Vishnu and told them what had been done
to me. (All three of them are copied on this email. You can contact
them for any clarifications you see necessary). The second time he
molested me, I even told Tiya what happened. When he heard I’d told
Tiya (she confronted him), he lashed out at me, and I became truly
terrified of what he would do. I avoided him in all situations except
in rooms full of people, until I checked out of Think on Sunday.

As of Saturday evening, he sent me text messages insinuating that I
misconstrued “a drunken banter”. That is not what happened. Banter
does not involve forcing yourself on someone, trying to disrobe them,
and penetrate them with your fingers despite them pleading for you to
stop. As you read through the details of what happened in the
attachment to this mail, I hope you will also understand how traumatic
and terrifying it has been for me to report this to you — and yet how
critical it is that Tehelka constitute an anti sexual harassment cell
as per the Vishakha guidelines immediately, to investigate this
matter. At the very least, I will need a written apology from Mr
Tejpal and an acknowledgement of the same to be circulated through the
organization. It cannot be considered acceptable for him to treat a
female employee in this way.

On the night of 7th November 2013, the opening night of Tehelka’s
Think festival, I had discharged my duties for the day as the
chaperone for Mr Robert De Niro. As it was Mr De Niro and his
daughter’s first night in Goa and at the festival, my editor in chief
Mr Tarun Tejpal accompanied Mr De Niro, Drena De Niro (his daughter)
and I to Mr De Niro’s suite to wish him goodnight. (As his chaperone,
my work was to be available all day to Mr De Niro and Drena, take them
sightseeing, make sure they were well looked after in Goa and at the
Hyatt – until they retired to their suite at night. )

As we left the suite, Mr Tejpal and I were in conversation — I have
known him since I was a child, he had worked closely with my father
who was also a journalist, and after my father’s accident Mr Tejpal
had always been a paternal figure to me. He was responsible for
offering me my first job, and was always just a phone call away
whenever I needed his advice on a story or life. His daughter, Tiya
Tejpal and I are very close friends as well.

As we made our way out of the elevator of Block 7 at the Grand Hyatt,
Mr Tejpal held my arm and pulled me back into the lift. He said –
“Let’s go wake up Bob” (Mr De Niro) and I asked him why he wanted to
do that. I then realized that Mr Tejpal was simply pressing buttons on
the lift’s panel to make the elevator stay in circuit, preventing it
from stopping anywhere, and for the doors to open.

At this point, he began to kiss me — from the first moment of his
doing so, I asked him to stop, citing several reasons, including my
friendship to Tiya, my closeness to his family, the fact that he had
known me since I was a child, the fact that I worked for Tehelka and
for Shoma Chaudhury – who is my managing editor and mentor. It was
like talking to a deaf person. Mr Tejpal lifted my dress up, went down
on his knees and pulled my underwear down. He attempted to perform
oral sex on me as I continued to struggle and hysterically asked him
to stop. At that moment he began to try and penetrate me with his
fingers, I became scared and pushed him hard and asked him to stop the
lift. He would not listen. The lift stopped on the ground floor as Mr
Tejpal’s hands were on me and could not press the button for yet
another floor to keep it in circuit. As soon as the doors opened, I
picked up my underwear and began walking out of the elevator rapidly –
he was still following me, asking me  what the matter was.

I said “It’s all wrong. I work for you and Shoma.” He said first “It’s
alright to be in love with more than one person,” and then he said,
“Well, this is the easiest way for you to keep your job.” I was
walking still faster, blinking back tears.

By this time, we had made our way from Block 7 to the main lawns of
the Grand Hyatt, where I walked into the grassy dinner area full of
people and Mr Tejpal walked off towards the performance area. Right as
soon as he was out of sight, I took a taxi back to my hotel – the
International Centre for Goa, where the Tehelka staff was staying, and
went to the room where the Literary Editor Shougat Dasgupta and the
Photo Editor Ishan Tankha were staying. I also called another friend
and colleague – investigative reporter G Vishnu to the room and told
them what had occurred. While the four of us were talking in the
balcony, Mr Tejpal sent me a text message from his personal phone
number at 1.17 am, which said “The fingertips”. This was the extent he
had managed to penetrate me before I pushed him and ran out of the
lift. I told the people with me on the balcony about this. Some of us
considered resigning as soon as Think was over. I called my boyfriend
Aman Sethi in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from Ishan Tankha’s iPhone and
told him what had happened.

I was confused, hurt and really, really scared. At that point I did
not want to lose my job. And so the next morning, I went about my work
determined not to give Mr Tejpal or Tehelka a reason to fire me, as I
was sure they would do once this story got out. At a few points of the
day, I discussed the events of the previous night with Shougat
Dasgupta, G Vishnu and Ishan Tankha, who were concerned about me after
the state they had seen me in the previous night. In the afternoon, I
accompanied Mr De Niro, his daughter, Sir VS Naipaul, Lady Naipaul and
Mr Tejpal’s wife to the Governor’s bungalow for lunch.

Given the company we were in, I did not make any mention of what had
occurred to Ms Geetan Batra, Mr Tejpal’s wife. Once I had escorted Mr
De Niro back to his room post lunch, he expressed a desire to attend
one of the sessions at the Main Hall. I brought him down to the Green
Room, where Mr Tejpal found us, and asked me to bring Mr De Niro back
down for Mr Amitabh Bachchan’s session as he wanted the two to meet. I
took Mr De Niro and his daughter shopping to Panjim, and brought them
back in time for Mr Bachchan’s session as instructed. Once the session
was done, Mr Tejpal, Mr De Niro, Mr Bachchan and a few other members
of the film industry, lawyers, politicians etc were supposed to meet
at the Block 7 Grand Club for drinks.

I escorted Mr De Niro and Drena to this bar, told them I would return
to my hotel, change, and be right back. While I was getting dressed at
my hotel, Mr Tejpal called me from ThakurJi’s phone (Thakurji is the
caretaker and manager of Tehelka’s Bombay office premises) and asked
me where I was. I informed him I was just about to leave for the Grand
Hyatt. In the taxi I noticed he had already sent me two text messages
on my phone which said “Where r u?” at 8:29and then “??” at 8:42. from
his personal number.

I replied with the following messages: “On my way to the lounge” 8.42
pm, “Had to sort out a lost package for Drena and get a bit
presentable. See you in 10” at 8.44 pm and “Call tee she needs you” at
8.47 pm as Tiya had messaged me asking to help her find Tarun. At this
point I was trying to be as normal and professional as possible and
somehow get through my duties.
Five minutes later, as I was walking into the Grand Club at Block 7,
Mr Tejpal was coming out of the lounge. He pointed at me asking me to
stop. I was already worried that I was late and that Mr De Niro had
asked for me. Mr Tejpal came to me and said “Come up with me, we have
to get something from Bob’s room”. I was frightened that this would
lead to a repeat of the previous night and so I said, “What does he
need? I’ll go get it.” I was scared of getting into the lift with him
again, and more terrified that he was going to try and take me into a
room this time. By this time he was holding me by the wrist and had
taken me into the lift (which is barely a few steps away from the
lobby of block 7 where he had asked me to wait). When the doors
closed, he started to try and kiss me again. I said “Tarun, please,
no, just stop,” he pulled away, smiled, patted my cheek and said “Why?
Ok. I’ll stop.” I said again “This just isn’t right. Tiya is my best
friend. I had lunch with Geetan today. “

He smiled again and just for a moment I thought I had appealed to his
better sense. I turned away from him, desperately waiting for the door
to open (there are only three floors in Block 7 (G, 1 and 2), we were
between floors). Within seconds of my turning around, he started to
lift up my dress. He lifted it all the way up and said “You’re
unbelievable”. The door opened on the second floor, on Mr De Niro’s
floor —  and he said again – “The universe is telling us something” to
which I said “I’m taking the stairs” and started to walk out. He
pulled me back in, sensing that I was on the verge of hysteria — by
this point, he was totally comfortable physically manhandling me, but
sensing my sheer panic, he did not touch me until the lift reached the
ground floor. Right as the doors were about to open, he patted my
behind once more.

I walked out of the lift, went to the Grand Club and immediately
informed Ishan Tankha that Mr Tejpal had tried to molest me again.
Ishan said “Again? What the fuck is wrong with him?” He was completely
disgusted and said once more that we should just resign immediately.
As I was to accompany Mr De Niro to the dining area, I somehow
composed myself. Mr De Niro was mobbed by fans – and I had to take him
away from the main garden to the Capiz Bar. I was sitting at the Capiz
Bar with Mr De Niro and his daughter when TiyaTejpal came there to
join us.

This was the first time the two of us had really met since the
incident of the previous night. Since I had moved to Mumbai about a
year and a half ago, Tiya had grown to become one of my closest
friends. She lives across the road from my house in Mumbai and barely
a day had passed when the two of us did not meet or talk to each other
constantly. She was sitting beside me, and Mr De Niro was absorbed in
conversation with his daughter. I could not keep something of this
magnitude from her. I told her she would hate me for what I was
telling her – but that Mr Tejpal had tried to molest me on these two
separate occasions. I said “He tried to shove his tongue down my
throat and then took my panties off”, when Tiya replied saying “I saw
him do this to a woman when I was thirteen, so it doesn’t surprise me
anymore,” but she was clearly disgusted.

Tiya left the Capiz Bar right after this. In half an hour, Mr De Niro
and Drena asked to be dropped back to their room. They were extremely
upset at the day’s events because Mr De Niro had all but been
assaulted by fans at the dinner table, and they asked me to convey
this to Mr Tejpal. When I came down from Block 7, I found Mr Tejpal
sitting at a table with several people and called him away from the
table, but still in full view of everyone, so I could relay Mr De
Niro’s message privately.

I said “Bob is really upset about tonight, he got mobbed really
badly..” to which Mr Tejpal replied “I don’t give a fuck about Bob.
How could you tell Tiya what happened?” I said “Tarun, I told you Tiya
and I are close and what you did wasn’t okay, I had to tell her,” to
which he said “She’s my daughter. Do you even understand what the word
means? Just get away from me, I’m so fucking pissed off with you right
now.”

I left from the spot crying, found Tiya outside her room in the main
performance area and asked her what she had said to her father. She
said “There was no other way. As soon as you told me I wished you
hadn’t, but you can’t tell me what to say to him – I told him to keep
it in his pants.”
I said “I’m probably going to lose my job over this”, she agreed, but also said “It’ll be a bad phase but it’ll pass.” On this night as well, I left the Grand Hyatt and went to my hotel, found Shougat Dasgupta, Ishan Tankha and G Vishnu and told them what had happened. I also called my boyfriend and told him that Mr Tejpal was aware of the fact that I wasn’t staying quiet, and that he was extremely angry that I had told his daughter. The next morning, I called my mother and told her everything that had happened. Everyone was most worried for my safety and advised me to leave Think as soon as possible — however since my day’s work involved me staying away from the Grand Hyatt and staying at a completely different part of Goa for the day with Mr De Niro and his daughter, I felt temporarily safe.
At this time MrTejpal sent me the following texts from his personal number.

1.“I hope you told Tiya that it was just drunken banter, and nothing else”

To which I replied – “I told her we were both drunk” – because it was
true that everyone had had a few drinks on the first night. But not
the second, when he assaulted me minutes after I had reached the Grand
Hyatt. However, this was the first time Mr Tejpal had said anything to
me after lashing out at me the previous night, and I was still very
afraid of him.

He then sent me a second message:

2. “And just banter, nothing else” – to which I did not reply, because
there was no way what he had done to me could have been described as
“banter”.

Sensing that I had clammed up at his attempt to sugar-coat what really
happened, he sent me a third message:

3.  “Why?? What’s happened??”

I did not reply to this message. Within minutes, he sent me a fourth
message, one that convinced me he saw absolutely nothing wrong with
what he had done, and was in fact now trying to shame me for talking
to Tiya:

4. “I can’t believe u went and mentioned even the smallest thing to
her. What an absence of any understanding of a parent child
relationship.”

After this message, I made sure to stay away from Mr Tejpal except
when we were in extremely public situations only – such as the
Speakers Green Room at the Hyatt, or the lobby of the hotel. That
evening as well, I steered completely clear of him. He made no mention
of anything that had occurred the next day, and the only thought on my
mind was to get Mr De Niro on his plane and leave Think. I had to
speak to MrTejpal several times on Sunday the 9th of November to
coordinate Mr De Niro’s travel plans, but in these calls he made no
mention of anything that had occurred. Once I dropped Mr De Niro to
the Goa Airport at 4.30 pm, I had no further contact with Mr Tejpal.

However, on 16.11.2013, Mr Tejpal messaged me a number of times

1.“Have you spoken to Tee? Is she Ok?”

To which I replied: “Why would she be ok about the fact that you
sexually assaulted her best friend, that is me?”

2. “What’s with saying this awful stuff??”

To which I replied: Do not send me any messages. You are lying and you
know that.

3. “Oh is that so? I cherished you like one of my best kids always,
all these years; and because of one drunken banter you so easily say
these awful things.

To which I replied: It was twice Tarun, not once and it was no banter.
You did the most horrible things to me and I certainly was not drunk.
I asked you to stop repeatedly.

4 “Oh so that’s what you told Tee. No wonder she’s so madly upset.
Its ok. Am not going to contest anything with her. Will let time and
my love heal what it can.”

5. “Don’t think I’ve been more saddened in the longest time”

I have no doubt that Mr Tejpal was trying to establish his innocence
in a devious manner. If he needed to get in touch with his daughter,
he could have done so anytime he desired, through his wife or daughter
or nephew or anyone from his family without messaging me about her, or
falsely claiming that all that happened was ‘a drunken banter’. This
was no banter, it was most clearly sexual assault. As a reporter for
Tehelka who writes on violence against women, I suddenly find myself
in the horrific situation of discovering what it is like to be on the
receiving end of this violence from a powerful man I once deeply
admired and respected. I truly hope that the idea of Tehelka is still
intact – and that you will conduct an inquiry into this matter at the
earliest.
- See more at: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fBoxRcvYyDoJ:www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/chandigarh/full-text-of-assault-victim-s-e-mail-to-tehelka-managing-editor/article1-1154308.aspx+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#sthash.JEEY5w61.dpuf
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

What kind of an investigative reporter this Tejpal dude is ?

Doesn't he know never to send any messages of dubious nature through text, PC, cell phone etc?? Didn't he know about CCTV cameras ?

And THIS guy is a frontline "investigative" reporter?

it is sad that I am the one who is better than everyone in any profession....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:05 pm

BBC has an interesting comment about this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25055427 wrote:If the editor of Britain's Guardian newspaper was accused of sexually assaulting a female colleague then offered to step down for six months "to do penance" you can imagine the outcry this would provoke.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

What kind of an investigative reporter this Tejpal dude is ?

Doesn't he know never to send any messages of dubious nature through text, PC, cell phone etc?? Didn't he know about CCTV cameras ?

And THIS guy is a frontline "investigative" reporter?

it is sad that I am the one who is better than everyone in any profession....Razz
precisely, sAmiyar - it's the 'basic instinct' strategy, don't you think?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:14 pm

I can never give a right answer to man-woman flirt/sex relationship. I don't know if anyone can.

But women always have an upper hand in most relationships and CAN always have control over the relationship.

Before I begin, I must say there ARE women who are NOT looking for ANY physical relationship, yet dress well, smile and be normal, friendly. However, this has the potential to give wrong signals which could start the fun.

Now...

Women do have the liberty to send mixed signals, test waters and back-off as and when needed. By the time she backs-off, the snake gets a signal but it may be late to console the ego-and-or-snake.

If both are equal participants then things can really go wrong for the man.

Again, as I said I can never give a right answer since balance of power in a relationship can be complicated. Driven by ego the man however can always bully his way through resulting in ugly endings to such relations.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 pm

southindian wrote:I can never give a right answer to man-woman flirt/sex relationship. I don't know if anyone can.

But women always have an upper hand in most relationships and CAN always have control over the relationship.

Before I begin, I must say there ARE women who are NOT looking for ANY physical relationship, yet dress well, smile and be normal, friendly. However, this has the potential to give wrong signals which could start the fun.

Now...

Women do have the liberty to send mixed signals, test waters and back-off as and when needed. By the time she backs-off, the snake gets a signal but it may be late to console the ego-and-or-snake.

Again, as I said I can never give a right answer since balance of power in a relationship can be complicated. Driven by ego the man however can always bully his way through resulting in ugly endings to such relations.
That is why one should carry a condom and a consent form in triplicate wrapped around it.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:24 pm

This is probably quite the norm in corporate India especially in firms classified as India Inc., where men in power take advantage of their female underlings. And the women very rarely make a fuss since they see it as a loss of face and possibly see themselves being blamed for 'asking for it'.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Hellsangel wrote:This is probably quite the norm in corporate India especially in firms classified as India Inc., where men in power take advantage of their female underlings. And the women very rarely make a fuss since they see it as a loss of face and possibly see themselves being blamed for 'asking for it'.
I know of a newly married woman Techie in T C S - yep I am naming it - was propositioned for an evening/night out for a 5* annual performance rating. After continuous harrasment for 2 weeks (or more) she got a 3* rating. She quit... (she is in my IM). She said this boss - who was married with kids and in his 30s - "evaluated" the women in his group all the time. Many women in her group asked her to go along and done with it. (She is in my IM and offered to write informally to the couple of guys at the highest levels in TCS using my back channel connections/links - but she did not want to pursue as she was newly married and ready to quit TCS anyway).

THIS SORT OF FRIKKIN HARASSMENT IS VERY VERY Routine and common in Indian IT companies - case in point Phanesh.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:54 pm

southindian wrote:I can never give a right answer to man-woman flirt/sex relationship. I don't know if anyone can.

Now...

That is why one should carry a condom and a consent form in triplicate wrapped around it.
Here lies the problem. By the time a condom comes out, the relationship is ready to slide either North or South, UNLESS the woman (yes only the woman) continues to do just for pleasure. The man CANNOT backoff (ever) due to ego-and-or-snake issues.

The triplicate consent form need to be signed around the kick-off meeting and CANNOT wait till condom appearance.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Hellsangel wrote:This is probably quite the norm in corporate India especially in firms classified as India Inc., where men in power take advantage of their female underlings. And the women very rarely make a fuss since they see it as a loss of face and possibly see themselves being blamed for 'asking for it'.
Agree, men take advantage, but are there women only the sufferer lot at the India Inc. level? Aren't they equal partners in many cases, when they know they'll get the perks, have fun, reap benefits and get elevated (in all respects).

After some level in companies, all this becomes a parity game. Agree/Disagree?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:07 pm

southindian wrote:
Agree, men take advantage, but are there women only the sufferer lot at the India Inc. level? Aren't they equal partners in many cases, when they know they'll get the perks, have fun, reap benefits and get elevated (in all respects).

After some level in companies, all this becomes a parity game. Agree/Disagree?
You should pose this question to someone who works for India Inc.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:16 pm

smArtha wrote:
The below URL had the full text of the email the victim sent to Shoma with all the graphic and minute details of what transpired in the elevator, the actions she took and the text of messages Tejpal exchanged with her over the last few days. This is now removed after other media houses cried foul about it as invasion of her privacy. If the account is true, Tejpal can be booked under attempt to rape as he seems to have disrobed her and forced attempted his tongue and fingers into her. He tried repeating it the next day too but she was more alert this time and so he couldn't go beyond feeling her up. And when the victim recounted this to Tejpal's daughter (who also happens to be a close friend of the victim) the daughter did remark that she believes it as she herself had seen him do this to another woman when was about thirteen. Tejpal started becoming a defensive once his daughter called him up and asked him to restrict himself to his own pants. So this is not a one time transgression with the victim and if his daughter can be believed not also with just one woman. 

http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/chandigarh/full-text-of-assault-victim-s-e-mail-to-tehelka-managing-editor/article1-1154308.aspx

I take my original comment back..this douche appears to be a serial victimizer and should have his nuts cutoff. have to apologize for doing an uppili

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:56 am

there's a lot bs in this thread, esp from SI.

based on my limited experience in the workforce, it has always been people higher-up who harass women who are young, inexperienced, or new to the job. these guys don't have the balls to mess around with their peers or seniors of the opp sex. one of the reasons men always marry younger women is cuz they're so easy to impress. anyhow, my point is, it's an abuse of power, it's not a "my intent was misunderstood" or "I misunderstood her intent" type of situation.

and ha ha I've found out he gave himself six months off. that really takes the cake.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:13 am

I know of a newly married woman Techie in T C S - yep I am naming it - was propositioned for an evening/night out for a 5* annual performance rating.  After continuous harrasment for 2 weeks (or more) she got a 3* rating. She quit... (she is in my IM). She said this boss - who was married with kids and in his 30s - "evaluated" the women in his group all the time. Many women in her group asked her to go along and done with it. (She is in my IM and offered to write informally to the couple of guys at the highest levels in TCS using my back channel connections/links - but she did not want to pursue as she was newly married and ready to quit TCS anyway).

THIS SORT OF FRIKKIN HARASSMENT IS VERY VERY Routine and common in Indian IT companies - case in point Phanesh.
what is the relevance and importance of that, saamiyar? you mention that twice! Razz Razz

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:17 am

on another note, wonder why this woman confided in that guy's daughter. i understand that she was her 'best friend' but it is still a bit insensitive. can't imagine anything worse than a daughter finding out that her dad is a lecher.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:30 am

[quote="bw"]
what is the relevance and importance of that, saamiyar? you mention that twice! Razz Razz
hahahaha....I said that twice..didn't I? damn....I never make any mistakes in my posts (you know that)...how did this happen? Actually, she was a neighbor in India...and I am her mentor...and am always there to give her advice....

Wait...now i am talking like Tejpal....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down