Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why my friend switched to Republican party

+3
Kris
nevada
Rishi
7 posters

Go down

Why my friend switched to Republican party Empty Why my friend switched to Republican party

Post by Rishi Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:20 pm

There is a Tamil guy I know who used to be a democrat. Till early 2000s, he was fully in favor of quota, welfare and affirmative action etc.

He has a Ph.D in mathematics. More than a decade ago, he used to teach at a black college in south. His dean told him that he should give at least a C to any student who shows up for every class. "This means that they are trying," she told him. My friend had no option but to comply. He wanted to keep his job.

After a couple of years, he got a job with the federal government. He was going to leave his teaching position in a month. And the finals were approaching. He told the students. "If you don't do well on the finals, do not expect to pass this course. I am not worried about keeping this job. I am starting a new job next month." One student stood up. "If I get a F in this course, I will find out where you are and gun you down," he said.

My friend went to the campus police and registered a complaint. Nothing came of it.

He is now a Republican.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Why my friend switched to Republican party Empty Re: Why my friend switched to Republican party

Post by nevada Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Did his students pass or fail?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Why my friend switched to Republican party Empty Re: Why my friend switched to Republican party

Post by Kris Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:41 pm

nevada wrote:Did his students pass or fail?

>>>Since he is alive, I am deducing they passed.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Rishi wrote:There is a Tamil guy I know who used to be a democrat. Till early 2000s, he was fully in favor of quota, welfare and affirmative action etc.

He has a Ph.D in mathematics.  More than a decade ago, he used to teach at a black college in south. His dean told him that he should give at least a C to any student who shows up for every class. "This means that they are trying,"  she told him. My friend had no option but to comply. He wanted to keep his job.

After a couple of years, he got a job with the federal government. He was going to leave his teaching position in a month. And the finals were approaching. He told the students. "If you don't do well on the finals, do not expect to pass this course. I am not worried about keeping this job. I am starting a new job next month." One student stood up. "If I get a F in this course, I will find out where you are and gun you down," he said.

My friend went to the campus police and registered a complaint. Nothing came of it.

He is now a Republican.

>>>With friends like these, who needs ....

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Rishi wrote:There is a Tamil guy I know who used to be a democrat. Till early 2000s, he was fully in favor of quota, welfare and affirmative action etc.

He has a Ph.D in mathematics.  More than a decade ago, he used to teach at a black college in south. His dean told him that he should give at least a C to any student who shows up for every class. "This means that they are trying,"  she told him. My friend had no option but to comply. He wanted to keep his job.

He is now a Republican.

Does he own a gun or 10 now? Razz

May be you should remind your friend of "No Child Left Behind" Act.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Rishi,
Why would he say anything about keeping his job or not? So he is admitting that he did something wrong before and now because he got an out he is going to change the student expectations. That is inviting student reaction.
he could have easily give the grades as per his assessment and left the place.
Frankly this story sounds rather illogical.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:17 pm

truthbetold wrote:Rishi,
Why would he say anything about keeping his job or not? So he is admitting that he did something wrong before and now because he got an out he is going to change the student expectations. That is inviting student reaction.
he could have easily give the grades as per his assessment and left the place.
Frankly this story sounds rather illogical.
Please do not question Papi's stories thus.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Kris wrote:
nevada wrote:Did his students pass or fail?

>>>Since he is alive, I am deducing they passed.

LOL.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down