Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US position on sri lankan govt's war crimes

+8
TruthSeeker
Kris
Ponniyin Selvan
bw
Hellsangel
confuzzled dude
Rishi
MaxEntropy_Man
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

US position on sri lankan govt's war crimes - Page 3 Empty Re: US position on sri lankan govt's war crimes

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and since you mentioned serbia, people have been indicted and put on trial for war crimes there. i hope sri lankan war crimes are investigated at least as robustly.

You should perhaps read the comments under that article. Ask yourself why you are so worked up about Sri Lanka and not, say Serbia. Maybe you don't feel such a kinship with the Bosnians. Oh! And let us not forget the Armenians in Turkey (who btw is a NATO member). There are enough people who got away in Serbia.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

US position on sri lankan govt's war crimes - Page 3 Empty Re: US position on sri lankan govt's war crimes

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and since you mentioned serbia, people have been indicted and put on trial for war crimes there. i hope sri lankan war crimes are investigated at least as robustly.

You should perhaps read the comments under that article. Ask yourself why you are so worked up about Sri Lanka and not, say Serbia. Maybe you don't feel such a kinship with the Bosnians. Oh! And let us not forget the Armenians in Turkey (who btw is a NATO member). There are enough people who got away in Serbia.

what a silly post! why do we post about indian and american politics more here? why do we discuss cricket and american football more than a sport like say curling? why don't we have more discussions about the politics of australia and mali? some things are more important to us than others by virtue of our life's trajectory.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

what a silly post! why do we post about indian and american politics more here? why do we discuss cricket and american football more than a sport like say curling? why don't we have more discussions about the politics of australia and mali? some things are more important to us than others by virtue of our life's trajectory.

Sri Lanka is a foreign country. If you want to say it is a neighbor, I don't see you crying for the plight of the Muhajirs in Karachi, with the same zeal. It is ok for you to admit that you are concerned about Tamils, whether they be in Mauritania or Fiji.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:03 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

the only thing i find jarring and amusing is these new allegiances being announced unnecessarily when it is obvious that the allegiance is mostly because of the convenience that it offers and not any true, unconditional, patriotic feelings.

I'm not sure I understand what true, unconditional, patriotic feelings are. I'm with Max on this. He is the only one who announced his allegiance, and he's made it clear that it is for more than convenience at this point. 

At least, I've also discovered the one fool-proof way to rankle fellow Indians in social settings is to declare your love for US with gusto. 

Don't tell me you believe in true, unconditional love and such feelings as well. tongue

(1) my initial response was to rishi's post. it triggered a series of memories of various people/incidents and the amusement it has caused in me. it never rankles but only amuses and i usually have a laugh about it with someone else who shares my views. i may not even have noticed max's usage of "my" since using "principles" and "us government" in the same sentence triggers a lot more mirth in me. max, for some reason, made it all about himself.

(2) that said, yes, i am not a believer in the honesty of the allegiance people develop to peaceful, wealthy countries and always wonder if that attachment will stay if the very country ceases to be the wonderland it is. sorry, that's me and any overt and unnecessary show of love for the adopted country will have me roll my eyes. praising the US does not bother me at all. i too praise the US a lot (not its government or foreign policy or hollywood or TV ) and it has had (and will have) a significant role in my life in many ways.

(3) oh yes, i do believe in unconditional love and other such feelings.

(4) whenever an argument regresses into an analysis of the other person's personality, i declare myself the winner. when i make posts that i know will irk a lot of people on SUCH, i always wait and watch to see when the argument will get into this mode and sooner than later, it does.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:11 pm

bw wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:

the only thing i find jarring and amusing is these new allegiances being announced unnecessarily when it is obvious that the allegiance is mostly because of the convenience that it offers and not any true, unconditional, patriotic feelings.

I'm not sure I understand what true, unconditional, patriotic feelings are. I'm with Max on this. He is the only one who announced his allegiance, and he's made it clear that it is for more than convenience at this point. 

At least, I've also discovered the one fool-proof way to rankle fellow Indians in social settings is to declare your love for US with gusto. 

Don't tell me you believe in true, unconditional love and such feelings as well. tongue

(1) my initial response was to rishi's post. it triggered a series of memories of various people/incidents and the amusement it has caused in me. it never rankles but only amuses and i usually have a laugh about it with someone else who shares my views. i may not even have noticed max's usage of "my" since using "principles" and "us government" in the same sentence triggers a lot more mirth in me. max, for some reason, made it all about himself.

(2) that said, yes, i am not a believer in the honesty of the allegiance people develop to peaceful, wealthy countries and always wonder if that attachment will stay if the very country ceases to be the wonderland it is. sorry, that's me and any overt and unnecessary show of love for the adopted country will have me roll my eyes. praising the US does not bother me at all. i too praise the US a lot (not its government or foreign policy or hollywood or TV ) and it has had (and will have) a significant role in my life in many ways.

(4) whenever an argument regresses into an analysis of the other person's personality, i declare myself the winner. when i make posts that i know will irk a lot of people on SUCH, i always wait and watch to see when the argument will get into this mode and sooner than later, it does.

i am tired of making the same points and i know neither of us is going to change the other's mind but do kindly get off this high horse of your comment not being about anyone in particular. you're fooling nobody.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:

i am tired of making the same points and i know neither of us is going to change the other's mind but do kindly get off this high horse of your comment not being about anyone in particular. you're fooling nobody.

my later posts certainly includes anyone who act the proud american and if you are one such, yes, it is about you too. that's for you to decide.

i am sorry, just like you have views about south indians who embrace north indian language and rhinestone studded lehengas, i have my views on indians who embrace america.

*shrug*

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:47 pm

i don't remember saying anything about southern indians who learn other languages. it doesn't make any sense given that i myself speak passable hindi. are you referring to my opposition to hindi imposition? for that i make no apologies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:51 pm

or maybe you're referring to my comments about tamilians who never having left TN are still illiterate in their own language and proud of it. yes they do deserve my derision.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Oh I am very aware of what this thread is about. Incidentally I even watched the video posted. But sorry, I have no sympathy. This sort of thing has happened in many places all over the world. Serbia being a recent example. It happened post WWII all over East Europe. For someone who likes to keep boasting about his family's service in the Indian armed forces, it is shameful to not consider the casualties inflicted by the LTTE on the Indian Army. Maybe if there was someone in his immediate family that was affected by the LTTE, the shoe would be on the other foot and that would weigh over ethnicity. If the LTTE had the good sense to be holed up like Bhindranwale and his cohorts in one structure they could have spared all the civilians and died their martyrs' deaths. Not only that, they actually used human shields. Like the narrator himself said in the video the Sri Lankan army was determined to end the LTTE come hell or high water. You have to applaud that resolve. They finished what the Indian Army could not.

PS: Biryani is not my idea of 'good food'
Well, that elicited a response of a whole paragraph of over 10 lines! Somebody give me a medal or something. I was being facetious having not read the original link posted or having any strong opinions either way. 

But biryani is whole another thing - the only thing I strongly feel about, and have true, unconditional feelings for (should be well made, Hyderabadi style, though). It's probably in my bones, veins etc. and there are some days when that's all I can think about.

What is your idea of good food? And while you are at it, what ethnicity do you belong to? You don't have to be specific, just a rough, ball park, area or language or whatever you want to choose. If you are bringing up ethnicity, it only makes sense to have an even field, rather than punch from behind the curtain.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:16 am

ashaNirasha wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Oh I am very aware of what this thread is about. Incidentally I even watched the video posted. But sorry, I have no sympathy. This sort of thing has happened in many places all over the world. Serbia being a recent example. It happened post WWII all over East Europe. For someone who likes to keep boasting about his family's service in the Indian armed forces, it is shameful to not consider the casualties inflicted by the LTTE on the Indian Army. Maybe if there was someone in his immediate family that was affected by the LTTE, the shoe would be on the other foot and that would weigh over ethnicity. If the LTTE had the good sense to be holed up like Bhindranwale and his cohorts in one structure they could have spared all the civilians and died their martyrs' deaths. Not only that, they actually used human shields. Like the narrator himself said in the video the Sri Lankan army was determined to end the LTTE come hell or high water. You have to applaud that resolve. They finished what the Indian Army could not.

PS: Biryani is not my idea of 'good food'
Well, that elicited a response of a whole paragraph of over 10 lines! Somebody give me a medal or something. I was being facetious having not read the original link posted or having any strong opinions either way. 

But biryani is whole another thing - the only thing I strongly feel about, and have true, unconditional feelings for (should be well made, Hyderabadi style, though). It's probably in my bones, veins etc. and there are some days when that's all I can think about.

What is your idea of good food? And while you are at it, what ethnicity do you belong to? You don't have to be specific, just a rough, ball park, area or language or whatever you want to choose. If you are bringing up ethnicity, it only makes sense to have an even field, rather than punch from behind the curtain.

He is a SriLankan Buddhist, now you know why he doesn't like Dum Biryani Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 am

wannabe boston brahmin, no? OK Smile

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3