Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vidya balan - padma sri? wtf

+11
confuzzled dude
truthbetold
garam_kuta
indophile
Obnoxious
smArtha
Hellsangel
pravalika nanda
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

vidya balan - padma sri? wtf Empty vidya balan - padma sri? wtf

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:09 pm

http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/padma-vibhushan-for-bks-iyengar-ra-mashelkar/article5617904.ece/?secid=2780

Whet did she do? Dirty dancing? Did padma sri standards come down so much? Or did I miss her career?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

vidya balan - padma sri? wtf Empty Re: vidya balan - padma sri? wtf

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Jeez! What a joke! The Padma*s are losing their value or have they already lost it?

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Past great acting talent such as savitri and vanisri did not get padma sri.
Madhuri and ashestya got it 2008 and 2009.
Kajol is not listed as padma award winner.
But vidya. Balan is a surprise.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:11 pm

truthbetold wrote:Past great acting talent such as savitri and vanisri did not get padma sri.
Had vidya balan not been a bollywood actress, she wouldn't have got it.

Now the southies can't complain that they are being ignored. They will be pointed to viday balan with a 'see...she's a south indian too. there's no bias'.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:13 pm

truthbetold wrote:Past great acting talent such as savitri and vanisri did not get padma sri.

Wow! Savitri did not,  those Hindians.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Once upon a time these awards were considered life time achievements.

Do they sell them for party funds are something?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:18 pm

who are savitri and vanisri?

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:34 pm

Kinnera wrote:Jeez! What a joke! The Padma*s are losing their value or have they already lost it?
She's an astonishingly good actress, she has grace and humility. I'm glad to see her get recognition.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Now the southies can't complain that they are being ignored. They will be pointed to viday balan with a 'see...she's a south indian too. there's no bias'.
She's too fair to be considered SI, she's an immigrant to the south.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:who are savitri and vanisri?

That is the problem. India has great talent in its different regions in different fields. Rarely do they get noticed outside their region due to limitations of language.

Savitri was a premier actress of 50 and 60s in telugu, Tamil and Malayalam. She was considered the meena kumari of south. The southies need to figure out a way to commercialize their talent and share it with the rest of India.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 pm

truthbetold wrote:

That is the problem. India has great talent in its different regions in different fields. Rarely do they get noticed outside their region due to limitations of language.

Savitri was a premier actress of 50 and 60s in telugu,  Tamil and Malayalam. She was considered the meena kumari of south. The southies need to figure out a way to commercialize their talent and share it with the rest of India.

Why do we second-rate our greats with labels like Meena Kumari of South or Lata Mangeshkar of South, they are second to none.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:51 pm

truthbetold wrote:

Savitri was a premier actress of 50 and 60s in telugu,  Tamil and Malayalam. She was considered the meena kumari of south. The southies need to figure out a way to commercialize their talent and share it with the rest of India.
Savitri was just extraordinary, so beautiful, so talented, even when she became obese with a bmi of 40 in need of a gastric bypass, she was graceful and attractive. 

There are zero telugu girls in the telugu movie industry, there are a bunch of telugu heroes who look like stray dogs, lizards, and snakes but are stars for the same reason Rahul Gandhi is the congress leader

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:01 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

Why do we second-rate our greats with labels like Meena Kumari of South or Lata Mangeshkar of South, they are second to none.

Cd
Of south is not my decision. Savitti was as good an actress as meena kumari in tear jerkers. But she was unmatched. In performances like Maya hazard. Ounce for ounce she matched sv ranga rao.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Vidya Balan is a good actress..but has been in business for only 10 to 12 years...

Kamal hasan gets it ONLY NOW ? after been in the industry for 50+years.

janaki was right in turning down her Padma award 3 yrs back saying it is an insult to give it to her that late while people from the Naarth got them very young.

If Vidya Balan had acted only in Southie movies - which she hardly did, she would not have received this crappy award....

I reject any Padma award even if the GoI is thinking about giving me one...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:02 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

Savitri was just extraordinary, so beautiful, so talented, even when she became obese with a bmi of 40 in need of a gastric bypass, she was graceful and attractive. 

There are zero telugu girls in the telugu movie industry, there are a bunch of telugu heroes who look like stray dogs, lizards, and snakes but are stars for the same reason Rahul Gandhi is the congress leader
LOL!! baagaa cheppaavu!

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:12 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

>>>Where did she migrate from, unless you mean the fact that she is from a palghat family that moved to Bombay.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:19 am

SighO! Best actresses ever! Vidya Balan is no match to them.

Savithri:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3GAphTgGg

Vanisri:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0S5XhyS4v8

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:01 am

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

Cd
Of south is not my decision. Savitti was as good an actress as meena kumari in tear jerkers. But she was unmatched. In performances like Maya hazard. Ounce for ounce she matched sv ranga rao.
Hahaha!

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:54 am

ashaNirasha wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

Cd
Hahaha!

i can understand now why pravalika keeps bringing up the gastric bypass surgery.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:58 am

Kinnera wrote:

Savithri:

Vanisri:

Vanisri was a doll...but not a great actress. Savitri was in a different class altogether. She was not only given any award she was almost like a destitute towards the end.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:00 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: She was not only given any award she was almost like a destitute towards the end.

a sad story like that in music is n.c.vasanthakokilam who could have eclipsed MSS.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: She was not only given any award she was almost like a destitute towards the end.

a sad story like that in music is n.c.vasanthakokilam who could have eclipsed MSS.

I strongly believe that Naarthies do discriminate Southies in Arts, military, politics, and anything else that does not call for English and/or science. The naarthies grudgingly accept the superiority of the Southies in Science and English, which is why you see so many southies in IAS cadre (which is slowly eroding the Southie domination), academics, CSIR, ISRO, Private ITs, BARC, and Finance.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I strongly believe that Naarthies do discriminate Southies in Arts, military, politics, and anything else that does not call for English and/or science.  The naarthies grudgingly accept the superiority of the Southies in Science and English, which is why you see so many southies in IAS cadre (which is slowly eroding the Southie domination), academics, CSIR, ISRO, Private ITs, BARC, and Finance.

why would anyone with an ounce of creativity want to enter the IAS? i never understood why some brilliant northindian friends i had at IIT, who should have pursued graduate school and a career in science were hell bent on getting into the IAS. it seemed like the most boring career to me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Savithri:

Vanisri:

Vanisri was a doll...but not a great actress. Savitri was in a different class altogether. She was not only given any award she was almost like a destitute towards the end.

So was Meena Kumari.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I strongly believe that Naarthies do discriminate Southies in Arts, military, politics, and anything else that does not call for English and/or science.  The naarthies grudgingly accept the superiority of the Southies in Science and English, which is why you see so many southies in IAS cadre (which is slowly eroding the Southie domination), academics, CSIR, ISRO, Private ITs, BARC, and Finance.

there can be two ways of looking at it. I think Southies didn't promote themselves all over India either. There are so many pretty and talented bong artists (men and women) who did make a name worldwide, even marathi. What chip on the shoulders were the southies sitting with?

I do agree cricket was dominated by Mumbai people and they did grossly overshadow pretty much all other zones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

why would anyone with an ounce of creativity want to enter the IAS? i never understood why some brilliant northindian friends i had at IIT, who should have pursued graduate school and a career in science were hell bent on getting into the IAS. it seemed like the most boring career to me.

I am slowly learning what an absolutely interesting field it is, if someone really wants to do some work, and does it too. So many equations and balances one has to keep, including people, politicians, guru-types, police, and senior officers. I could actually pass hours listening to those tales.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
there can be two ways of looking at it. I think Southies didn't promote themselves all over India either. There are so many pretty and talented bong artists (men and women) who did make a name worldwide, even marathi. What chip on the shoulders were the southies sitting with?
Promote what? Padma's are not popularity contests.
Tracy Whitney wrote:
I do agree cricket was dominated by Mumbai people and they did grossly overshadow pretty much all other zones.
That used to be the case... like a million years ago.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:01 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
Promote what? Padma's are not popularity contests.

topic was general public. And yes padmas too. How did the bongs managed to get them?

confuzzled dude wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
That used to be the case... like a million years ago.

ya same era and later as savitri...

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

is that really true? amongst musicians MSS and bhimsen have been honored with the bharat ratna and DKP and mallikarjun mansur with the vibhushan. i think it's a shame mansur was not given the bharat ratna before he died. i am not sure if MLV received any awards. interestingly not one of the carnatic men seem to have won anything.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Savithri:

Vanisri:

Uppili samy
please retrain from commenting about things you are not familiar with.
Vanisri is not manjula.
Vanisri is a rather average looking girl with dark complexion. She had no godfathers. She came to the top through some acting talent. She was at the top for about 10 years. The only actress who could top her in her glory days was legendary. Sarada.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Savithri:

Vanisri:

Uppili samy
Vanisri is not manjula.
Vanisri is a rather average looking girl with dark complexion. She had no godfathers. She came to the top through some acting talent. She was at the top for about 10 years. The only actress who could top her in her glory days was legendary. Sarada.

that is your view. i liked her very much in the few tamil movies that she acted. manjula and latha were dumb. 70s tamil movies had jayasudha, pramila, sripriya and srividya until sridevi, shobha came in the late 70s

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Savithri:

Vanisri:

Uppili samy
Vanisri is not manjula.

that is your view. i liked her very much in the few tamil movies that she acted.  manjula and latha were dumb. 70s tamil movies had jayasudha, pramila, sripriya and srividya until sridevi, shobha came in the late 70s

i have to agree with uppili on this one: Vanisree  was hot, very sexy - and she always had her clothes on.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

is that really true? amongst musicians MSS and bhimsen have been honored with the bharat ratna and DKP and mallikarjun mansur with the vibhushan. i think it's a shame mansur was not given the bharat ratna before he died. i am not sure if MLV received any awards. interestingly not one of the carnatic men seem to have won anything.

** who cares about NI? I really didn't know anything about NI until I came to sulekha. Never been there, would never go there. For example, my family thinks Mumbai is NI.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

funny, my uncle wanted me to stop going to high school here and live with him in india and grow up there so he could train me for the ias. he thought I'd be perfect for it. I was so flattered, I'd spend all my summers in India reading the csr magazines (maybe you know- competition success review?). I might have enjoyed that, it seems like you enter it with a purpose to better your people.
wait, scratch that, I like shopping, eating out, gossip, lazing around at home etc.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Kris wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

>>>Where did she migrate from, unless you mean the fact that she is from a palghat family that moved to Bombay.
** you're sounding upset, kris, are you fair and lovely like her? I think a lot of the people living along the west coast migrated from the middle east to india on ships. that's where you get these people with middle eastern good looks like hema malini and vidya balan from. Native Indians are a bit dark, for example the telugus. I certainly look nothing like those two women of arab origin.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:32 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Savithri:

Vanisri:

Uppili samy
Vanisri is not manjula.

complexion is always relevant for indians no matter what. and it's funny how that always goes together with average looks.

vidya balan - padma sri? wtf Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa6ll7hVVwj0wyTnU6f57JRMTpt6vjFzuqEjOauJoDIT2irUjG vidya balan - padma sri? wtf Helen%20and%20apple
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:47 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

** you're sounding upset, kris, are you fair and lovely like her? I think a lot of the people living along the west coast migrated from the middle east to india on ships. that's where you get these people with middle eastern good looks like hema malini and vidya balan from. Native Indians are a bit dark, for example the telugus. I certainly look nothing like those two women of arab origin.
>>> By that logic, given the theory of outward migration  from Africa, everyone except for Africans living in Africa, would be an immigrant. Yes, even Telugus (and we are not just talking of the TANA membership types here)

P.S> Thanks for calling me 'lovely'. That's a first and why would I be upset over it? Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:00 pm

pravalika nanda wrote: Native Indians are a bit dark, for example the telugus. I certainly look nothing like those two women of arab origin.
Do you not like it that you look a bit dark?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm

PN looks gorgeous, I been told.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:PN looks gorgeous, I been told.
>>No wonder Manjay likes her.

(Note to PN: The initial conversations on the subway may seem a tad personal, but fear not- that's just part of the courtship ritual and the guy has honorable intentions)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:49 pm

oh, really? Are you pulling my leg? Obviously you are. You better behave yourself, Vidya bhagchi.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Kris wrote:

(Note to PN: The initial conversations on the subway may seem a tad personal, but fear not- that's just part of the courtship ritual and the guy has honorable intentions)
I'm afraid this is lost on me. Looks like I have to pay more attn to Rishi's post. Manjay likes dark girls? Cool.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
oh, really? Are you pulling my leg? Obviously you are. You better behave yourself, Vidya bhagchi.

no i swear. not kidding. i found it believable too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 pm

daymn...now i need to be nice to her.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

no i swear. not kidding. i found it believable too.
Makes sense, when her mom is much better looking than Jayaprada, PN must be at least as gorgeous as Jayaprada.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:41 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

I'm afraid this is lost on me. Looks like I have to pay more attn to Rishi's post. Manjay likes dark girls? Cool.

No problem. You will look very fair under "Black Light"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:42 am

Uppili
you can have your opinion about. Vanisri's looks. In acting she is in a class with savitri and not the pramila etc list.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 am

truthbetold wrote:http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/padma-vibhushan-for-bks-iyengar-ra-mashelkar/article5617904.ece/?secid=2780

Whet did she do?  Dirty dancing?  Did padma sri standards come down so much? Or did I miss her career?

They could have given it to the asli Silk Smitha, but not the nakli one. Along with Silk Smitha, they could have doled it out to Jyoti Lakshmi, Jayamalini (Jo La and JaMa of India). They really were the pioneers of dirty dancing, and perfected the art of showing without showing. They may have solved medical problems of countless people with no expensive medicines but a with simple song and dance with some sighs thrown in.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 am

Even the ancient Europeans were not fair:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25885519
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:20 am

truthbetold wrote:Uppili
you can have your opinion about. Vanisri's looks. In acting she is in a class with savitri and not the pramila etc list.

Did Vanisri even do as many movies or the even the range of characters/role that Savitri managed in her filmi career?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next