Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

modi 2014: pros and cons

4 posters

Go down

modi 2014: pros and cons Empty modi 2014: pros and cons

Post by truthbetold Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:06 am

It is getting boring to read Modi bad bad and modi good good posts.

Give us little more sensible opinions without 'limpwristed breast beating' and 'congame'.

Modi's victory in parliament and state elections is beyond dispute. So let me just state few things Modi did.

1. Modi followed his victory with international blitz and got initial promise from US, Japan, AUstralia, China and Russia.  Higher FDI flows is assured.

2. Mood inside India and around the world about India's investment climate changed from indifferent to enthusiastic anticipation. 

3. FDI opened in Defense, retail, and insurance. 

4. Govt expenditure is brought under control. 

5. Modi govt is doing a decent job of crafting a path through indian political pitfalls such as Rajya sabha minority status.

6. Good efforts to improve neighbor relations. Other Pakistan, it is working out better (ex: Nepal, BD, myanmar).

7. Performance in Jammu elections and shrinking foot print of congress. 

Cons:

1. Smiti Irani.  Major mistake.

2. religious shenanigans by sangh parivar. This is to be expected considering the past but some of the stunts are really stupid (ex: anti PK movie protests, regular religious conflict in UP for electoral benefit). 

Lucky break: 

Free fall of oil prices.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

modi 2014: pros and cons Empty Re: modi 2014: pros and cons

Post by southindian Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:30 am

I was never expecting Modi and team to be perfect.

After having replaced the looters, Modi and team can continue to work towards India's interests and interests for the poor and middle class.

I was also expecting some baggage with Modi team and definitely there are a few loose canons as MPs ready shame the team. I'm fine with a few steps backwards as long as cumulative forward progress made is in the right direction.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:46 pm

truthbetold wrote:It is getting boring to read Modi bad bad and modi good good posts.

Give us little more sensible opinions without 'limpwristed breast beating' and 'congame'.

Modi's victory in parliament and state elections is beyond dispute. So let me just state few things Modi did.

1. Modi followed his victory with international blitz and got initial promise from US, Japan, AUstralia, China and Russia.  Higher FDI flows is assured.

2. Mood inside India and around the world about India's investment climate changed from indifferent to enthusiastic anticipation. 

5. Modi govt is doing a decent job of crafting a path through indian political pitfalls such as Rajya sabha minority status.

6. Good efforts to improve neighbor relations. Other Pakistan, it is working out better (ex: Nepal, BD, myanmar).

Cons:

2. religious shenanigans by sangh parivar. This is to be expected considering the past but some of the stunts are really stupid (ex: anti PK movie protests, regular religious conflict in UP for electoral benefit). 

Lucky break: 

Free fall of oil prices.
Shenanigans by Sangh?! It was Modi that openly showed his support to RSS which gave them green signal to do whatever they want

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:55 pm

southindian wrote:I was never expecting Modi and team to be perfect.

After having replaced the looters, Modi and team can continue to work towards India's interests and interests for the poor and middle class.

I was also expecting some baggage with Modi team and definitely there are a few loose canons as MPs ready shame the team. I'm fine with a few steps backwards as long as cumulative forward progress made is in the right direction.
There are always going to be a few missed items.  But the summary by TBT misses a few more positive items
a) Path breaking changes in federalism,  where states now have a bigger share of the funds.
b) GST finally almost coming through
c) Bureaucratic culture  changed for the better. At least they now come to work on time, and seemingly 
    empowered to take decisions (though it is quite possible some of the decisions could go bad later)
    Focus on ROAD as compared to ABCD.
d) Judicial accountability bill
e) Efforts to increase indigenous defence production, and efforts to inject a tone of optimism,
    by the concept of Make in India. Please note it may not result in substantial benefits (given that 
    India has missed the boat, thanks to the alleged incompetence of Congress/UPA),  
    at least it changed the business sentiment to one of optimism.
f) Efforts to remove bottleneck for industries by reforms to Land acquisition bill
g) Persisting with Aadhar / DBT, introduction of PM Jan Dhan Yojana 
    and reforms in MNREGA to curb wasteful expenditure

Aspects I would have liked to see
1) Power sector reforms (especially focus on renewable energy, because Oil prices will go high). 
    For example, given the low Oil Prices
    aviation sector and companies like HPCL/BPCL could go in for call options on oil to lock in prices for next year
    I do not see any news about the same.
2) More visible steps towards Road and water Transport ministry reforms. Efforts seem to be pre-dominantly in Railways
3) Concrete steps for PSU autonomy and reforms to improve 
4) Tangible steps towards the problem of Bank NPA's
5) Intelligence setup revamp, police reforms and revamp of coast guard (for example steps to curb 
    thorium sands smuggling etc..)
6) Big push to infrastructure in North east
7) Sync up of Logistics chain , surface transport and ports to ensure predictability of goods movements from factories
    to ports. 
8 ) Concrete efforts in agriculture/improve the lot of farmers, do a case study impact of the 50% + cost metric for MSP.
Anyway, this news item says it all.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/40-days-in-bjp-better-than-40-years-in-congress-rural-development-minister-birender-singh/articleshow/45584055.cms?intenttarget=no

Last edited by rawemotions on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:02 pm; edited 4 times in total

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:56 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:It is getting boring to read Modi bad bad and modi good good posts.

Cons:

Lucky break: 

Free fall of oil prices.
Shenanigans by Sangh?! It was Modi that openly showed his support to RSS which gave them green signal to do whatever they want
Proof? Documents? Links? that are admissible in court, in which he's asking RSS to do this.

I'm seriously looking to charge Modi in court based on your support documents.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:14 pm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Faith-in-Narendra-Modi-govt-high-but-Sangh-hotheads-a-concern-TOI-survey/articleshow/45710608.cms

TOI data says 75% of urban survey respondents support modi govt performance. 

Most of them are concerned about sangh parivar activities. 

India is saying focus on development.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:17 pm

CD

modi is part of sangh parivar. Whether he is directly involved or not,  the scent (or stench) of sangh will remain with modi.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:20 pm

rawemotions wrote:
southindian wrote:I was never expecting Modi and team to be perfect.

There are always going to be a few missed items.  But the summary by TBT misses a few more positive items
a) Path breaking changes in federalism,  where states now have a bigger share of the funds.
b) GST finally almost coming through
c) Bureaucratic culture  changed for the better. At least they now come to work on time, and seemingly 
    empowered to take decisions (though it is quite possible some of the decisions could go bad later)
    Focus on ROAD as compared to ABCD.
d) Judicial accountability bill
e) Efforts to increase indigenous defence production, and efforts to inject a tone of optimism,
    by the concept of Make in India. Please note it may not result in substantial benefits (given that 
    India has missed the boat, thanks to the alleged incompetence of Congress/UPA),  
    at least it changed the business sentiment to one of optimism.
f) Efforts to remove bottleneck for industries by reforms to Land acquisition bill
g) Persisting with Aadhar / DBT, introduction of PM Jan Dhan Yojana 
    and reforms in MNREGA to curb wasteful expenditure

Aspects I would have liked to see
1) Power sector reforms (especially focus on renewable energy, because Oil prices will go high). 
    For example, given the low Oil Prices
    aviation sector and companies like HPCL/BPCL could go in for call options on oil to lock in prices for next year
    I do not see any news about the same.
2) More visible steps towards Road and water Transport ministry reforms. Efforts seem to be pre-dominantly in Railways
3) Concrete steps for PSU autonomy and reforms to improve 
4) Tangible steps towards the problem of Bank NPA's
5) Intelligence setup revamp, police reforms and revamp of coast guard (for example steps to curb 
    thorium sands smuggling etc..)
6) Big push to infrastructure in North east
7) Sync up of Logistics chain , surface transport and ports to ensure predictability of goods movements from factories
    to ports. 
8 ) Concrete efforts in agriculture/improve the lot of farmers, do a case study impact of the 50% + cost metric for MSP.
Anyway, this news item says it all.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/40-days-in-bjp-better-than-40-years-in-congress-rural-development-minister-birender-singh/articleshow/45584055.cms?intenttarget=no
At least on one item (reforms of PSU and Banks), action has started. Hope they continue this.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/management-reforms-in-psu-banks-govt-splits-the-post-of-chairman-and-managing-director-cum-ceo/articleshow/45711670.cms

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:32 pm

truthbetold wrote:CD

modi is part of sangh parivar. Whether he is directly involved or not,  the scent (or stench) of sangh will remain with modi.
Two more
All talk no walk (smart cities with meager budgets)
Budget cuts to health care (empty promises)

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down