Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashdoc's short review---Drishyam ( hindi )

4 posters

Go down

Ashdoc's short review---Drishyam ( hindi ) Empty Ashdoc's short review---Drishyam ( hindi )

Post by ashdoc Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:46 am

Ashdoc's short review---Drishyam ( hindi ) IndiaTv5acd4e_ajay-tabu-drishyam

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Ashdoc's short review---Drishyam ( hindi ) Empty Re: Ashdoc's short review---Drishyam ( hindi )

Post by ashdoc Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:47 am

Both Tabu and Ajay Devgan have matured sufficiently to play parents of young boys and girls , even when the Khans and Kumars are romancing young girls .

Drishyam tells the story of a self made man ( Ajay Devgan ) who may be hald educated , but has a brain which works like a razor....and his heart is in the right place , for it beats only for his family....

And his family is the world to him , consisting of two daughters and wife ( played by Shriya Sharan )....the setting is Goa....they are middle class maharashtrians who live life within their limited means and do so happiliy....

But one day the members of this family get involved in a terrible incident , though the incident is not of their making....

Vijay ( Devgan ) has been bold enough to confront a police officer over his corruption earlier , and now that police officer is on to his tail to get Vijay's family arrested for the incident....

And powerful people ( Tabu , who plays a very high level police officer ) want to see the culprits arrested because they and their near and dear ones are are personally involved , while all needles of suspicion point towards Vijay....

But ultimately your sympathy goes towards the suspects , while the police will be looked with fear and loathing....and such are the power packed performances by the family to protect each other that the task of sympathising with them becomes too easy.... 
The police officer named Gaitonde also evokes your hatred by his performance as the face of evil .

The story is slow in the first half , but boy!! when it picks up momentum it just arrests your attention in the second half....

The music I found to be almost nonexistent , or maybe my mind was too much absorbed in the story and skipped through it....

What I remembered was Tabu's breasts jutting through her police uniform , something that was evident even in the film's promos....but her situation was such that I wondered why she had been made to wear such a figure hugging dress ; was not a more demure dress correct for such a situation....??

Whatever be the mistakes , the film moves at a electric pace once it picks momentum , and is superbly crafted....the ending is most satisfying especially , for it bring closure to the people involved....

So why the name Drishyam ( the sighting ) ?? That I think is because Vijay cleverly succeeds in convincing many people that they have sighted him in some other place than where the incident took place on that day , and their alleged 'sightings' of him form a formidable stumbling block in the police investigation .

The film has been made on a smallish budget , for it has no fancy locations and no fancy photography even though the setting of Goa was ideal for that . The director has concentrated on making it a thriller , and his concentration has worked brilliantly !!

Verdict---Real good .
Four stars .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Ashdoc's short review---Drishyam ( hindi ) Empty Re: Ashdoc's short review---Drishyam ( hindi )

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:27 am

Ashdoc, you have a flair for reviewing movies judiciously. Nice talent! 

Anyway, since you like to watch movies and judge them on their merit, here is one for you, if you haven't seen already, "The razor's edge" (1946 Hollywood movie, starring Tyrone Power ...)
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:58 pm

Wanted to watch it today, called a friend.

He: Good, but not meant for kids. 

Me (to my kids): The review says its not good for kids.

(Meanwhile my 13 yr old daughter has already gone to wiki to check, while I am driving): Daddy, it has a scene where some bad guy take a naked picture of some little girl?

Me (avoiding to choke): Ok. We aint watching it, who is interested in Mission Impossible?

Point being Drishyam has been rated U/A - but any review of a movie, when not done whether from different age group audience is not just incomplete...its scary! 

random reviews of reviews,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:26 am

TruthSeeker wrote:Wanted to watch it today, called a friend.

He: Good, but not meant for kids. 

Me (to my kids): The review says its not good for kids.

(Meanwhile my 13 yr old daughter has already gone to wiki to check, while I am driving): Daddy, it has a scene where some bad guy take a naked picture of some little girl?

Me (avoiding to choke): Ok. We aint watching it, who is interested in Mission Impossible?

Point being Drishyam has been rated U/A - but any review of a movie, when not done whether from different age group audience is not just incomplete...its scary! 

random reviews of reviews,
TS.
Isn't there a possibility of some good lesson to the kids watching this movie from this scene (some 'bad' guy taking a picture of a naked little girl), e.g. there are many people / photographers around who are willing to exploit kids and therefore kids and their parents need to be careful, etc. etc.?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 pm

So I show them this movie to teach them this lesson?

Lessons are all around. I cannot take them to Afghanistan to teach them how people interpret Islam.

Huh,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:18 am

You need to have a discussion with your kids about the particular movie scene, without or after watching the movie. Based on your earlier statement, you seemed to have rejected the movie just after hearing about the nude photo of the kid in the movie without exploring anything further.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi Seva,

How r u?

Correct. I rejected the movie, to watch with my family.

I forgot to mention - the rule I try to follow in my family is - we all go, or none.

Lately, as kids are growing up, its broken.

As far as I am concerned, movie reviews must include whether "different age groups" can enjoy it or not.

Any review, just based on the age of the one reviewing, is inadequate for me.

Regards,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:19 am

Hi TS, 

Nice to hear from you. So, how does your family (especially the kids) like the new town ... are they getting used to it?  Btw did you get a chance to watch the movie "The razor's edge" (1946) ... it's kind of philosophical  ... something of your interest!

Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi Seva,

I am not in Boston yet. 1946? Black and white? :-) Hmm. Ok, will check in the local library. 

One of my favorites is: The Gods must be Crazy. I think I got the right link, but its a silent movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080801/

Regards,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:01 pm

This is what I read a couple of weeks ago..
Really, Bollywood, you can't even make a decent remake of a good - it is not even great - Malayalam movie. The Hindi Drishyam and the Malayalam Drishyam are both sluggish till the interval and then the plot picks up and moves towards a pitch-perfect last scene. But even in an almost scene-by-scene remake, there are a few things that set the Malayalam apart from the Hindi version and show up some of Bollywood's gigantic weaknesses:
http://www.dailyo.in/arts/drishyam-bollywood-ajay-devgn-tabu-mohanlal-nishikant-kamat-malayalam-cinema-the-devotion-of-suspect-x/story/1/5385.html

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Right. What is the caste of the Malyalam movie maker vs. Hindi one? Who is fairer? 

Lets start a fight on a movie remake which I do not even want to watch.

Where are you from? Lost-land?

Regards,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Watched Drishyam last week with my 10 year old son on TV....

He was certainly disturbed, and appeared confused as to why I wanted to watch the movie...as it progressed....

And i was stuck like a sticker, keen to continue.. 

The movie has an adult theme. Rarely an adult scene.

But what an excellent movie!

I am still to find any crime in this world, which can NOT be classified as one of these two motives - Greed or Passion.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down