Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eggs and ketchup

+4
MaxEntropy_Man
Kris
swapna
Propagandhi711
8 posters

Go down

eggs and ketchup Empty eggs and ketchup

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:19 am

had stopped having ketchup majorly, for years now. As a kid though, omelet with toast, (or scrambled eggs) and ketchup (the spicy kind you get in india) was almost a daily business.

hard-boiled some eggs today for breakfast, and for childhood times sake, packed it with ketchup. ideally should have done salt and black pepper, but .... yumm.

how do you like your eggs?

Back to top Go down

eggs and ketchup Empty Re: eggs and ketchup

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:39 am

ideally like them sunny side up with butter and toast.

next choice scrambled eggs (scrambled with milk/cream) and ketchup.

next half-boiled eggs (runny yolk) with salt and iberal pepper.

next cheese omelet (again with cream/milk) but no onions etc.

last choice: indian omelet with bread (not toasted).

won't eat - hard boiled eggs, egg white, water poached egg, egg salad, egg bhurji etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:02 am

nice! like almost all of the above and also french toast and egg drop soups. Not a big fan of half boiled. Am ok with poached eggs they put in some chinese dishes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:09 am

I eat hardboiled eggs with little salt and pepper in the morning but lately my favorite snack has been hard boiled & chopped eggs with sriracha mayo + water based tuna on wheat crackers. great source of protein and tasty

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:32 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:I eat hardboiled eggs with little salt and pepper in the morning but lately my favorite snack has been hard boiled & chopped eggs with sriracha mayo + water based tuna on wheat crackers. great source of protein and tasty

hmm never tried sriracha mayo. we just have a bottle of the sauce at home. interesting snack. Will try... Nowadays i keep brown rice snaps at work, and eat them with various cheese slices (from costco) or peanut butter at snack time.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:57 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:I eat hardboiled eggs with little salt and pepper in the morning but lately my favorite snack has been hard boiled & chopped eggs with sriracha mayo + water based tuna on wheat crackers. great source of protein and tasty
did you mean "a little salt and pepper?"

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:34 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:had stopped having ketchup majorly, for years now. As a kid though, omelet with toast, (or scrambled eggs) and ketchup (the spicy kind you get in india) was almost a daily business.

hard-boiled some eggs today for breakfast, and for childhood times sake, packed it with ketchup. ideally should have done salt and black pepper, but .... yumm.

I shan't keep you waiting any longer for my response:

1. fried eggs, "once over lightly," on buttered toast; occasionally on english muffins;

2. eggs scrambled with chopped onions and green peppers, on buttered toast;

3. eggs scrambled with chopped cilantro, made into triangular sandwiches between slices of white, crustless bread; not for breakfast.

all with plain, hot, light, neelagiri tea with no milk, sugar, or other contaminants.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:36 am

swapna wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:had stopped having ketchup majorly, for years now. As a kid though, omelet with toast, (or scrambled eggs) and ketchup (the spicy kind you get in india) was almost a daily business.

I shan't keep you waiting any longer for my response:

1. fried eggs, "once over lightly," on buttered toast; occasionally on english muffins;

2. eggs scrambled with chopped onions and green peppers, on buttered toast;

3. eggs scrambled with chopped cilantro, made into triangular sandwiches between slices of white, crustless bread; not for breakfast.

all with plain, hot, light, neelagiri tea with no milk, sugar, or other contaminants.
who the eff asked you? indio, do i have to translate, I HAVE HIM ON IGNORE, LOL, to malayayayayayaayalayam?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:47 am

>>>Spanish omlette, wheat toast, OJ (or mimosa), black coffeee

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:58 am

Kris wrote:

yeah i think i probably saw you mentioning it earlier too. never had it yet. Will try.

lol @ OR mimosa. added so casually if for breakfast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 am

Kris wrote:

6 eggs omelet. almost a pijja. trying it for lunch tomorrow. any tips?

will use ketchup liberally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:27 am

I would go with salsa or some kind of tomato -based hot sauce instead of ketchup.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:29 am

I would go with salsa or some kind of tomato -based hot sauce instead of ketchup.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:32 am

Kris wrote:I would go with salsa or some kind of tomato -based hot sauce instead of ketchup.
hmmm. let me try with ketchup first (which i might not need!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 am

I just saw that tw has mentioned the spicy ketchup in India. I guess that can stand in for salsa. I normally think of ketchup as being sweet as in the american variety.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:41 am

Kris wrote:I just saw that tw has mentioned the spicy ketchup in India. I guess that can stand in for salsa. I normally think of ketchup as being sweet as in the american variety.

yeah... those funny commercials and the famous tag lines between javed jaffery and pankaj kapoor... maggi hot and sweet tomato chilli sauce... it's different.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:42 am

Kris wrote:I just saw that tw has mentioned the spicy ketchup in India. I guess that can stand in for salsa. I normally think of ketchup as being sweet as in the american variety.

that's an idea! i'll get the tw ketchup too tomorrow and try it with it (if required).

how you been man! wassup with the brats?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:45 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:

yeah... those funny commercials and the famous tag lines between javed jaffery and pankaj kapoor... maggi hot and sweet tomato chilli sauce... it's different.

lol! lol! lol!

hilarious! getting it tomorrow. must! will post pics if omelet tastes good. love javed.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:45 am

I ate a lot of ketchup as a kid because I think it's the go to condiment in India for lots of snacks. I hate it now. I can't think of one reason why I'd pick ketchup over the profusion of sriracha, Tabasco, and aioli sauces and pastes available in the U.S.

Now coming to how I like my eggs -- ditto to most of what swapna wrote above. Always buttered wheat toast. Also if I'm having fried eggs, fresh ground pepper on top. I also occasionally have my eggs poached. As for tea, plain black tea is very nice, but I do crave the desi masala tea from time to time with ginger, cardamom, and a spot of hot milk.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:48 am

Where do you get Nilagiri tea? Do you order it off the web?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:50 am

there was a brief period of time in middle school that i was addicted to ketchup, forgetting what kind. when i used to come home from school, everybody's lunch would be over. i had the habit of sitting there alone for 2-3 hours, still in uniform, even after my lunch was over, and read something. now, since i was on the dining table, and the food was done, i would take some ketchup every few minutes, and slowly eat it while reading. i think sometimes i would move to watching tv, but continue eating it slowly. habit may have lasted only a few months, but my oldest bua happened to be visiting us at the time, and used to laugh at me whenever she watched me sitting with a small bowl with only ketchup in it. Used to say how it will upset my tummy. i used to ignore her until one day i may have had it in excess, and it did make me sick, but didn't tell her so lol... anyhoos, she repeated the story of my weird ketchup addiction for years and years after that.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:51 am

Ketchup makes eggs soggy. Ugh...
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I ate a lot of ketchup as a kid because I think it's the go to condiment in India for lots of snacks. I hate it now. I can't think of one reason why I'd pick ketchup over the profusion of sriracha, Tabasco, and aioli sauces and pastes available in the U.S.

honestly -- not sarcastic -- i ate a lot of tobasco, ajinomoto, marmite, english-mustard-sauce and mayonnaise as a kid but hardly ketchup. i ate hate them all now and i can't think of one reason why i'd pick them over ketchup .

Now coming to how I like my eggs -- ditto to most of what swapna wrote above. Always buttered wheat toast. Also if I'm having fried eggs, fresh ground pepper on top. I also occasionally have my eggs poached. As for tea, plain black tea is very nice, but I do crave the desi masala tea from time to time with ginger, cardamom, and a spot of hot milk.

swapna is a weirdo. you just announced you have similar tastes. are you too a weirdo? if you don't respond we will let logic run its course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Ketchup makes eggs soggy. Ugh...
eh? what eggs? fried pooched boild? eggs are not soggy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:10 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Ketchup makes eggs soggy. Ugh...

i like mixing of the egg yolk, in case of hard boiled eggs, in something spicy and/or saucy, as by itself it can be dry. Ketchup in this case, but that's the general idea.

in case of standard toast omelet, eggs with green chillies and onions, slightly buttered toast, and a layer of ketchup made it easier and delicious to bite into. My most distinct memory is to come home hungry after a morning class on a Sunday, and have this hearty toast and milk on my terrace (just before i began dating xb, which means i was on the terrace just to see him get out of the village after his morning playing/exercise).

Last edited by Meghna Mathur on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:15 pm

brie wrote:
Kris wrote:

behenji may kick you in the teeth even if you:

1. eat a dozen eggs drenched in a bottle of ketchup;

2. use the same brand of lota as she does;

3. "agree fully" with everything she.says.

relentless imitation will not work; being more individualistic than a zucchini may help.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Where do you get Nilagiri tea? Do you order it off the web?
I don't order it off the web; someone occasionally brings it for me from coonoor in the neelagiris. the variety I have come to like is grown on particular slopes.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:03 pm

swapna wrote:
did you mean "a little salt and pepper?"

I meant eat a big bowl of shut the fuck up and go to sleep

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:16 am

swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
Kris wrote:

relentless imitation will not work; being more individualistic than a zucchini may help.
awwww, hurts that behenji put you on IGNORE? still in denial?

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:50 am

brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
Kris wrote:

apparently anyone can see my post as a quote in yours. how much is behenji paying you?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:00 am

swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
Kris wrote:

apparently anyone can see my post as a quote in yours. how much is behenji paying you?

ooooo you are the such-auto! you have designed everything to work for your benefit! how much did you pay carvaka to have your name filtered? you can't pay... did you grovel, lie prostrate and lick his feet? can you read this --- |< |< T Thomas?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:59 am

brie wrote:

Try this.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:18 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
brie wrote:

Try this.

will try for this looks different. just had spanish omelet for lunch -- did not like it as much; the chunks of veggies (save potato) came in the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:20 am

brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:

ooooo you are the such-auto! you have designed everything to work for your benefit! how much did you pay carvaka to have your name filtered? you can't pay... did you grovel, lie prostrate and lick his feet? can you read this --- |< |< T Thomas?

gasp! how could i!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's |< |< THOMAS

eggs and ketchup Kkt10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:14 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
brie wrote:

Try this.

i have made eggs with spinach (yeah i can get creative whenever i want to empty the fridge before stuff spoils. Will try this recipe next. need to finish the flour too.

side note: threw a bunch of stuff in the crockpot for whatever i remember the recipe of bbb (bisibelabath?) is - rice, toor daal, onions, potatoes, peas (even though older hates peas), methi (opened the fridge to see what all veggies i had, and added this cringing), corn... roasted and grounded garam masala, red chillies, sambhar masala, meetha neem... and so on... didn't have tomatoes, but will see if i can somehow add it towards the end. i don't think i stuck to the recipe so i should probably call it 'toor-daal waali khichhdi weds bbb'. debated a lot if i should add the paneer cubes i had bought a week ago, as i need to finish them too. thought about max. decided to put them in. thought about it again though, and let it go, for now.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:23 pm

brie wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:

gasp! how could i!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's |<  |< THOMAS

eggs and ketchup Kkt10
you're taking this awfully hard, aren't you? which part of my previous post hurt you the most? my saying that you have the personality of a zucchini? hahaha. alright, I'll try to be more sensitive to your feelings from now on.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:03 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
brie wrote:

Try this.

'toor-daal waali khichhdi weds bbb'.
LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:56 pm

brie wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
brie wrote:

Try this.

'toor-daal waali khichhdi weds bbb'.
LOL.

so ok.. managed to get tomatoes added and be cooked.

It was slightly burned but not a lot. Had it for myself and son. Didn't make raita coz guess what. Yogurt was FINISHED (XH managed to finish it again). Embarassed Son hates yogurt anyway.

Son hates rice too, but he took a bite, and told his friend or cousin on ps4 game that he is stopping the game now coz he got to eat. Good sign?

I had two servings.

XH and daughter came over much later. XH took a look at it and go, 'there is a big blob of something in the crock pot scratch scratch '.

I am like - listen i don't know what it's supposed to look like ok? Never eaten it before. Made it from some memorized si recipe i had glanced over 3-4 days ago. Eat it like khichhdi.

Older - omg mommy. you had a *root canal*, not *tooth extraction*, FOUR days ago. How long are you going to keep eating soft food?

XH liked it. She didn't try it. She ate 1-2 pieces of some leftover chicken from sarku, and then mixed sugar with peanut butter in a small bowl and microwaved it. Apparently she liked that. Not sure which one of us weirder when it comes to food.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:32 pm

this thread is making me crave poached eggs. definitely having it for breakfast tomorrow.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:22 am

brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
Kris wrote:

now that it is proven that the IGNORE-list is just a sham for the benefit of gullible people like you, are you going to admit your mistake bihari bhaiyya?
why are you not successful in business bhaiyya? because you are not shrewd? as can be seen on how you believe all the lies told by your FAT-gf?

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:27 am

garam-kuta wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
Kris wrote:

now that it is proven that the IGNORE-list is just a sham for the benefit of gullible people like you, are you going to admit your mistake bihari bhaiyya?
why are you not successful in business bhaiyya? because you are not shrewd? as can be seen on how you believe all the lies told by your FAT-gf?
i will stoop to your level occasionally. that i am a failure in business has nothing to do with my ability at identifying retards satya.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:17 pm

I suspect that ketchup is a huge novelty for rural women. the reason, I think, is that ketchup may be the first food item that they ever encountered, that was not made by mummmy-ji as she squatted on the floor of the kitchen. it was as if the ketchup bottle was one's mummmy-ji!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:27 pm

swapna wrote:

I suspect that ketchup is a huge novelty for rural women. the reason, I think, is that ketchup may be the first food item that they ever encountered, that was not made by mummmy-ji as she squatted on the floor of the kitchen. it was as if the ketchup bottle was one's mummmy-ji!

ah....getting converted again...kinda Stockholm syndrome?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:08 am

Hello Tracy!

Oh, I like ketchup and eggs a lot (but not together!) 

Like ketchup with samosas, cutlets, puffs, burritos, chicken nuggets/strips etc. 

As for eggs..like all and any preparation (including creative new preps)..esp. with peppers- green, red and black. 

Deviled/Stuffed eggs and Egg salads are a little bland, but nice. 

Indian prep; egg curries and fries (different preps) eggs with vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower..tuna cutlets are great.

Hope you are doing well.

take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 am

Maria S wrote:

Hello Tracy!

Like ketchup with samosas, cutlets, puffs, burritos, chicken nuggets/strips etc. 

As for eggs..like all and any preparation (including creative new preps)..esp. with peppers- green, red and black. 

Indian prep; egg curries and fries (different preps) eggs with vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower..tuna cutlets are great.

Hope you are doing well.

take care.

love egg curries. also in my hometown, there was this famous street vendor who used to make awesome egg banjos with sliced onions and masala. was a big hit. We try to recreate that at times.

I am doing fine, M. hope you are also doing well. Nice to see you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:49 am

Maria S wrote:

Hello Tracy!

Hope you are doing well.

take care.

hi maria! nice to see you saunter in. keep dropping in. i don't like ketchup and i don't like omelet (unless it is with cheese and free of onions etc.). so the only way i can eat either is together hoping things would get better for they can't get worse.. right? hahahahahahhaa!

oh, i love ketchup with fries but it's been ages since i tried, or ate, that nonsense!

my lunch today to celebrate the bengali new year (which was yesterday):

note for swapna - the alur dom in the pic is cooked in panch phoron hahhaahhaahah... happy vishu nevertheless... ate roast duck and tapioca to celebrate vishu today?

eggs and ketchup 2016-028

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:05 am

Thank you for the friendly welcome Tracy and Mr. SS:)

Belated Bengali New Year! Tamil New Year was also yesterday:) So we have that in common!
And இனிய தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள்!

The food looks yummy..I forgot to mention that I like potato fries with ketchup. Especially McDonald's fries..fresh and hot.

Why is it nonsense?! The simple food joys of life..which we enjoy and never outgrow (I haven't!) and almost all foods in moderation should be okay!

Take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:13 am

Maria S wrote:
Why is it nonsense?! The simple food joys of life..which we enjoy and never outgrow (I haven't!) and almost all foods in moderation should be okay!

Take care.

lol, quite true. cholesterol-rich foods just got removed from the baddies list. i eat whatever i like but i have lost appetite for burgers (and that's why i no longer get to eat fries). i have given up meat save fish. i am climbing iyer and iyer!

anyways, you too take care!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 pm

brie wrote:
Maria S wrote:

Take care.

lol, quite true. cholesterol-rich foods just got removed from the baddies list. i eat whatever i like but i have lost appetite for burgers (and that's why i no longer get to eat fries). i have given up meat save fish. i am climbing iyer and iyer!

anyways, you too take care!

I had the bestest chicken earlier this week. had to go in my old 'hood for some paperwork etc, so took a little longer route back via this place from where XH used to mostly do takeout. they are under a new management now. Earlier NI, now SI (hahaha), so I was a bit disoriented, and asked them to recommend me a dish. Now, I don't know why, but they said,'we serve NI food too', and went on to recommend some dhaba type dish, and it was mouth-wateringly and lip-smackingly delicious. at home older was like, 'I hate chicken, but i think people who love it must be talking about this kind'. xh may have felt a little offended I think coz he makes chicken a lot. so he complained about it being a bit oily lol. anyhoos. will go there again and check for consistency.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down