Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your opinion on the FDI issue

3 posters

Go down

Your opinion on the FDI issue Empty Your opinion on the FDI issue

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:25 pm

what is the general view here on FDI in the Indian retail sector (51% FDI in multi brand retail and 100% FDI in single brand retail)?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/FDI-in-retail-5-crore-traders-to-down-shutters-today/articleshow/10936963.cms

Back to top Go down

Your opinion on the FDI issue Empty Re: Your opinion on the FDI issue

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 am

Sir, Mahatma Anna has already issued a condemnation of this policy so it is no longer open for debate. Anyone who supports FDI in retail is undoubtedly, an agent of the Empress and Yuvraj, and therefore deserves to be tied to an electric pole and beaten. Be warned.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:30 am

Rashmun wrote:what is the general view here on FDI in the Indian retail sector (51% FDI in multi brand retail and 100% FDI in single brand retail)?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/FDI-in-retail-5-crore-traders-to-down-shutters-today/articleshow/10936963.cms
It is an idea whose time has come. There will be a lot of pressure to stop it, but in the end it is not going to be stopped.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:31 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Sir, Mahatma Anna has already issued a condemnation of this policy so it is no longer open for debate. Anyone who supports FDI in retail is undoubtedly, an agent of the Empress and Yuvraj, and therefore deserves to be tied to an electric pole and beaten. Be warned.
On the one hand there are those who get all their cues from the Empress and her party. On the other, there are those who get all their cues from Anna. And then there's the vast majority of thinking people.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 am

charvaka wrote:On the one hand there are those who get all their cues from the Empress and her party. On the other, there are those who get all their cues from Anna. And then there's the vast majority of thinking people.

Your opinion on the FDI issue 3077217049

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:42 am

Merlot and Huzefa,
on a serious note, what is your opinion on FDI in the Indian retail sector?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 am

I think it's a very important piece in addressing the supplyside inefficiencies and inadequacies that are currently responsible for the food inflation. It will help consumers, it'll help farmers and will make India investor-friendly once again. I believe all the purported concern for the small kirana stores is misplaced. They provide a valuable service, in terms of proximity, credit, home delivery and sub-unit sales (which is very important for the poor) which the big chains can never match.

OTOH, the middlement and traders who are currently pocketing hefty margins without any value addition (and who are the most vocal anti-FDI lobby in addition to being financiers of many political parties) will get squeezed out and that is a good thing.

I find the opposition politics utterly unprincipled. On the one hand, they scream hoarse about inflation but on the other hand, oppose concrete steps towards systemic correction. Moreover, the very same NDA govt which tomtommed a 26% FDI in its 2004's India Shining manifesto, with the DMK's Maran being the foremost proponent of the idea, is today leading the opposition!

But my opinions are irrelevant. Mahatma Anna has said that all these foreign companies will only enslave us and that sir, is the last word.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:26 am

i do not think this FDI in retail makes much of a difference. reliance and future are already there as big operators in staples (aside from in apparels and appliances). the resistance being faced is similar to the resistance reliance fresh faced in UP and some other states. but reliance fresh is still around. this resistance is a political gimmick and BJP/NDA itself had retail-FDI in one of its manifestos. once NDA comes to power, its opposition to FDI might lessen. coming back to the main point, wal-mart and carrefour will merely become stake holders in reliance and future and at least for some time, the status quo will prevail because economic growth is shrinking. it makes no sense to expand in this environment. i do not see growth rising in the next quarter as the govt. proclaims. i think we will fall back to the hindu growth rate levels of 4/5%. the economic situation is indeed grim. inflation has hurt the consumers and high interest rates have hurt the industry -- both lie injured.

when the economy recovers, all that MD says should start happening and that should bring food prices down.

i seriously doubt wal-mart and carrefour will arrive with their own brands at this stage. they have already been in closed door negotiations, at least with future, for many years now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:09 am

Rashmun wrote:what is the general view here on FDI in the Indian retail sector (51% FDI in multi brand retail and 100% FDI in single brand retail)?

What is YOUR opinion ?

Hint: If you don't have one (surprise...surprise), pick the one you like the best from those expressed in this thread.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

What is YOUR opinion ?

Hint: If you don't have one (surprise...surprise), pick the one you like the best from those expressed in this thread.

i am still formulating my thoughts on this issue. What is your opinion on FDI in Indian retail sector?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 am

Rashmun wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

What is YOUR opinion ?

i am still formulating my thoughts on this issue. What is your opinion on FDI in Indian retail sector?

You are still formulating? let me know when you finalize and we can discuss.

I am not in the business of teaching, and glad to discuss with anyone who knows something and has SOME views.

Will wait.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I find the opposition politics utterly unprincipled. On the one hand, they scream hoarse about inflation but on the other hand, oppose concrete steps towards systemic correction. Moreover, the very same NDA govt which tomtommed a 26% FDI in its 2004's India Shining manifesto, with the DMK's Maran being the foremost proponent of the idea, is today leading the opposition!
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:this resistance is a political gimmick and BJP/NDA itself had retail-FDI
in one of its manifestos. once NDA comes to power, its opposition to
FDI might lessen.
This is a fundamental problem with Indian politics. Most opposition parties blindly oppose whatever policies the government proposes. This results in strange outcomes like the BJP opposing now policies that they favored when in government. The same happens at the state level, with TDP being a classic example. In one sense, this is an affirmation that the economic liberalization agenda is not dependent on which party is in power; on the flip side, the lack of consistent ideological support for liberalization from any side of the political divide is worrisome. It is not that surprising that a center-left party like Congress finds itself divided when it comes to economic liberalization. But for a conservative party like the BJP to have such flip-flops is inexcusable.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down