Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nizam's generous side and love for books

+17
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
ashdoc
nevada
Another Brick
Idéfix
Mosquito
chameli
Kayalvizhi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kris
truthbetold
Propagandhi711
Jeremiah Mburuburu
doofus_maximus
charvaka
MaxEntropy_Man
21 posters

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Nizam's generous side and love for books - Page 11 Empty Re: Nizam's generous side and love for books

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm

were these mistakes of the nashe mein rape kar diya kind of mistakes?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Nizam's generous side and love for books - Page 11 Empty Re: Nizam's generous side and love for books

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:23 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:were these mistakes of the nashe mein rape kar diya kind of mistakes?

Nizam was probably poorly advised at this time. He should have struck a deal with the Indian govt. like the Nawab of Arcot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Rashmun wrote:After the Nizam lost his head during the time of independence and made mistakes in his hope to retain power, many people became angry and disgruntled. But the good things the Nizam did for his kingdom cannot be negated by his mistakes at the time of indian independence. This was why many women in hyderabad broke their bangles in mourning in accordance with the hyderabadi fashion as per the article i gave earlier.
That's not an "article" -- it is propaganda from the Nizam's website. It contains many false claims. It is indeed sad that you are reduced to peddling the propaganda of a king whose last act in power before surrendering was to transfer money to Pakistan so he could rob his own citizenry and India.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:were these mistakes of the nashe mein rape kar diya kind of mistakes?

Nizam was probably poorly advised at this time. He should have struck a deal with the Indian govt. like the Nawab of Arcot.
Blame it on the advisers!

Now, try this on for size: Narendra Modi is a great ruler. He had a temporary headache-related issue around February 2002 and he also had bad advisers. But he has done great things before and since.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:After the Nizam lost his head during the time of independence and made mistakes in his hope to retain power, many people became angry and disgruntled. But the good things the Nizam did for his kingdom cannot be negated by his mistakes at the time of indian independence. This was why many women in hyderabad broke their bangles in mourning in accordance with the hyderabadi fashion as per the article i gave earlier.
That's not an "article" -- it is propaganda from the Nizam's website. It contains many false claims. It is indeed sad that you are reduced to peddling the propaganda of a king whose last act in power before surrendering was to transfer money to Pakistan so he could rob his own citizenry and India.

are you talking about this money?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7398238.stm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:32 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Now, try this on for size: Narendra Modi is a great ruler. He had a temporary headache-related issue around February 2002 and he also had bad advisers. But he has done great things before and since.

in fact Modi is not a great ruler. malnutrition in Gujarat is higher than the national average.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

in fact Modi is not a great ruler. malnutrition in Gujarat is higher than the national average.
Nizam had a famine in the early '20s in Telangana. And instead of reducing taxes, he kept taxing people to fund his self-aggrandizing pet projects. Therefore Nizam is a good ruler.

The fact is Telangana had much worse socioeconomic indicators at independence than coastal Andhra did. Malnutrition included. You would need to step beyond HEH the Nizam's propaganda website to get that though.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

are you talking about this money?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7398238.stm

For more on the money, check this thread you have been afraid of touching: https://such.forumotion.com/t5863-the-treacherous-king-and-his-modern-day-apologists

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:18 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Nizam had a famine in the early '20s in Telangana. And instead of reducing taxes, he kept taxing people to fund his self-aggrandizing pet projects. Therefore Nizam is a good ruler.

The fact is Telangana had much worse socioeconomic indicators at independence than coastal Andhra did. Malnutrition included. You would need to step beyond HEH the Nizam's propaganda website to get that though.

could you give some reference to this famine of 1920s that you speak of. I am unable to find any reference to it. In an earlier famine, the Nizam had in fact lifted all taxes.

Unfortunately their descendants did not take care of health, drinking water, irrigation or road facilities in the territories. Even during famine or drought, when Nizam lifted all the taxes on agricultural yields which were very poor, these four Jahigrdars continued to recover their share from peasants. This led to Salar Jung II advising Nizam V to terminate their Jagirs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rakshasbhuvan

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:04 pm

as someone who grew up in an unfettered country and immigrated to another, i have a visceral dislike for maharajas, nawabs, and other assorted monarchs especially in a modern context. it makes my skin crawl to see an intelligent person with a sycophantic attitude towards a recently defunct, state- sanctioned monarchy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11 pm

and now it looks he wasn't playing with a full deck.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11 pm

KCR justifies praise of Nizam
'Asaf Jahi rule marked by communal harmony’

HYDERABAD: Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) president K. Chandrasekhar Rao has justified his praise of the Nizam of Hyderabad as it was part of the cultures world over to recall their past glory.

Speaking to reporters after paying floral tributes at the grave of Mir Osman Ali Khan, the seventh and last Nizam of Hyderabad, on the occasion of his 41st death anniversary at King Kothi here on Monday, Mr. Rao claimed that the 450-year-old rule of the Asaf Jahis in the erstwhile Hyderabad State was marked by communal harmony.

Of course, the razakars, during the Nizam’s rule, had committed atrocities on common people for some time but this did not discredit the glorious past of the State, he added.

Dismisses critics
Referring to the criticism against him for praising the Nizam despite the latter jailing noted poet from Telangana, Dasarathi, Mr. Rao contended that British ruler King George had also put Mahatma Gandhi behind bars. Yet, a hospital in the name of King George was established in Visakhapatnam. A canal in the name of Buckingham, another autocratic British ruler, was also constructed in the State, he said, adding that the criticism was aimed at promoting communal discord.

Mr. Rao also said several roads in Delhi were named after Mughal emperors. They included Aurangzeb road where former Deputy Prime Minister L.K. Advani resided and Tughlaq Road where he was himself allotted a bungalow.

The office of the All India Congress Committee was located on Akbar Road. The Victoria Memorial still existed in Kolkata.

He maintained that the legendary Telangana poet Kaloji Narayan Rao had also paid tributes to the Nizam despite fighting his tyranny. The State continues to tag his name to Osmania General Hospital, Osmania University and Nizamsagar reservoir.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/27/stories/2007112758440400.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:46 pm

HYDERABAD: Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) president K. Chandrasekhar Rao heaped praise on the Nizam of Hyderabad at the celebration of Hyderabad Liberation Day at the party office here on Thursday.

Mr. Rao had kicked off a controversy a few years ago when he praised the Nizam and even paid tributes at his grave at King Kothi here.

Addressing a press conference after hoisting the national flag, Mr. Rao asked what was wrong in praising the Nizam who did a lot good for Telangana. Could anyone claim that the Nizam did not construct Nizamsagar which provided irrigation to three lakh acres of land, he asked. The construction of Nizamsagar was a fact of history like the Dowleswaram barrage which was built by Sir Arthur Cotton.

Draws comparisons
If the people of coastal districts adore Cotton and have set up his statues, the people of Telangana were well within their rights to honour the Nizam in a similar way. However, Mr. Rao admitted to certain lacunae in the Nizam’s reign owing to the feudalistic set-up of the time.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/09/18/stories/2009091856070600.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:as someone who grew up in an unfettered country and immigrated to another, i have a visceral dislike for maharajas, nawabs, and other assorted monarchs especially in a modern context. it makes my skin crawl to see an intelligent person with a sycophantic attitude towards a recently defunct, state- sanctioned monarchy.
I echo that, except I'd replace intelligent with educated. I was trying to understand the rationale for this sycophancy. I am none the wiser after another round of posts that bring no new light to the topic. As a tentative hypothesis, I chalk it up to a combination of (a) attempting to rattle someone he has personal animosity towards (like praising Nawab of Arcot and the war criminal Rajapaksa), and (b) a misplaced sense of secularism that he thinks requires needless praise of Indian tyrants as long as they are Muslims. After all, he started on this quixotic assignment after I questioned his praise for Diggyji. Anyway, I am done with this topic -- the debate begins in a minute.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Oh, by the way, this thread reclaims its position as the official jokes thread -- it has again eclipsed the sticky jokes thread. lol!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:33 pm

panini press wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:as someone who grew up in an unfettered country and immigrated to another, i have a visceral dislike for maharajas, nawabs, and other assorted monarchs especially in a modern context. it makes my skin crawl to see an intelligent person with a sycophantic attitude towards a recently defunct, state- sanctioned monarchy.
I echo that, except I'd replace intelligent with educated. I was trying to understand the rationale for this sycophancy. I am none the wiser after another round of posts that bring no new light to the topic. As a tentative hypothesis, I chalk it up to a combination of (a) attempting to rattle someone he has personal animosity towards (like praising Nawab of Arcot and the war criminal Rajapaksa), and (b) a misplaced sense of secularism that he thinks requires needless praise of Indian tyrants as long as they are Muslims. After all, he started on this quixotic assignment after I questioned his praise for Diggyji. Anyway, I am done with this topic -- the debate begins in a minute.

I admire the Nizam for being a secular king and secondly for doing a lot of developmental activity in his state. He made some mistakes at the time of the Indian independence like forming the Razakars who presumably thrashed some people you know personally (in their misguided zeal) because of which you seem to have developed a blind hatred for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Efforts of VII Nizam Praised by Acting Consul General

Acting Consul General Michael Yoder inaugurated a two-day seminar ‘The Socio Economic and Cultural Contribution of Mir Osman Ali Khan Nizam VII’ organized by the The Nizam’s Museum on September 13.

Speaking on the occasion Mr. Yoder said, “We so often get caught up in the emergencies and crises of daily life, I think it’s important to pause, and to appreciate our historical heritage. And in this context this seminar assumes great significance as the Asaf Jahi rulers, and in particular, Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last Nizam of Hyderabad, contributed extensively to the growth of literature, art, architecture, culture and rich food–a legacy that lives on today.”

He added that it was very heartening to know that the foundation for Hyderabad’s success was laid by a wise and benevolent leader who demonstrated religious tolerance while devoting himself to advancing Islamic scholarship. “Many of today’s politicians are following the ideas that were originally from the period of the Nizams. Once again, the philosophy of this historical period continues to shape our modern history,” Mr. Yoder said.

The idea behind the seminar was to create awareness about the achievements made by the Asaf Jahi rulers apart from the contributions made by Mir Osman Ali Khan. Nine scholars and historians were contributing research papers as part of the seminar.

While wishing the seminar a success Mr, Yoder said, “I would like conclude by stating that visitors to Hyderabad will leave with a lasting impression of the grandeur that was once the Hyderabad State.

http://hyderabad.usconsulate.gov/pe091411.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Rashmun wrote:you seem to have developed a blind hatred for him.
No I don't have any hatred for him. As I said earlier, I acknowledge his generous side.

The Nizam does have a generous side, and we all need to acknowledge that. I have acknowledged the Nizam's generous side in appropriate proportion to all his other sides in my chart that summarizes this thread. I like to focus on the positives in people, so have also chosen to highlight the generous side with a red arrow and with the generous side's label in bold, large, red letters while all other sides are arrowless and their labels are relegated to smaller, blacker, thinner fonts. This shows my complete lack of bias and prejudice. I am telling the facts as they are.

Nizam's generous side and love for books - Page 11 Nizam-10
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Rashmun wrote:Efforts of VII Nizam Praised by Acting Consul General

Acting Consul General Michael Yoder inaugurated a two-day seminar ‘The Socio Economic and Cultural Contribution of Mir Osman Ali Khan Nizam VII’ organized by the The Nizam’s Museum on September 13.

Speaking on the occasion Mr. Yoder said, “We so often get caught up in the emergencies and crises of daily life, I think it’s important to pause, and to appreciate our historical heritage. And in this context this seminar assumes great significance as the Asaf Jahi rulers, and in particular, Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last Nizam of Hyderabad, contributed extensively to the growth of literature, art, architecture, culture and rich food–a legacy that lives on today.”

He added that it was very heartening to know that the foundation for Hyderabad’s success was laid by a wise and benevolent leader who demonstrated religious tolerance while devoting himself to advancing Islamic scholarship. “Many of today’s politicians are following the ideas that were originally from the period of the Nizams. Once again, the philosophy of this historical period continues to shape our modern history,” Mr. Yoder said.

The idea behind the seminar was to create awareness about the achievements made by the Asaf Jahi rulers apart from the contributions made by Mir Osman Ali Khan. Nine scholars and historians were contributing research papers as part of the seminar.

While wishing the seminar a success Mr, Yoder said, “I would like conclude by stating that visitors to Hyderabad will leave with a lasting impression of the grandeur that was once the Hyderabad State.

Charvaka, any comments on the above?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Mughlai cuisine is a style of cooking developed in the Indian subcontinent by the imperial kitchens of the Mughal Empire. It represents the cooking styles used in North India (especially Uttar Pradesh and Delhi), Pakistan, Bangladesh and the Indian city of Hyderabad. The cuisine is strongly influenced by the Persian cuisine of Iran, and has in turn strongly influenced the regional cuisines of Kashmir and the Punjab region.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughlai_cuisine

Whoever wrote that does not know much about Hyderabadi cuisine.

To begin with, Nizami, Hyderabadi and Avadhi are all regional spin-offs but come under the larger common gamut of Mughali cooking which was developed in the country in the imperial kitchens of the Mughal empire. The cuisine is strongly influenced by Central Asian methods such as Persian and Turkic. Basic ingredients primarily consist of a heady robust mix of spices, generous helping of ghee, and is predominantly non-vegetarian, focusing on various methods of grilling and slow-cooking red meat.

The trick to succulent and tender meats according to chef, lies in the process of slow-cooking and adequately tenderising the meat before cooking. Marinade the lamb or mutton for three hours or over night in a paste of yogurt, browned onions, cashews, chilli, turmeric, corriander and salt.

Cook this marinated meat in a slow wood fire if available or on the gas in a sealed container, sealed using flour dough. This process of slow gentle cooking is the trick for tender meat curries and dum biryanis.

While Nizami food, cooked in the households of the Nizams of India, is rich and spicy and uses ingredients such as fresh turmeric, red chillies, and coconut, Avadhi cuisine, which is primarily North Indian in origin, involves yogurt, caramelized onions, cashews and tamarind. It is often richer and contains substantially more spice than its Nizami counterpart.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-07-24/recipes/29809402_1_cooking-chilli-chicken-tikka-masala

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:08 am

Rashmun wrote:
I admire the Nizam for being a secular king and secondly for doing a lot of developmental activity in his state. He made some mistakes at the time of the Indian independence like forming the Razakars who presumably thrashed some people you know personally (in their misguided zeal) because of which you seem to have developed a blind hatred for him.

along with telangana the nizam also ruled over marathwada in maharashtra . the razakars killed maharashtrians also . thank god for sardar patel......

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 am

ashdoc wrote:along with telangana the nizam also ruled over marathwada in maharashtra . the razakars killed maharashtrians also . thank god for sardar patel......
Yes, the sources I cited earlier in this thread (many months ago) mention Razakar atrocities in Marathwada and the Kannada-speaking areas of Hyderabad state.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 am

panini press wrote:Oh, by the way, this thread reclaims its position as the official jokes thread -- it has again eclipsed the sticky jokes thread. lol!

Its unnerving how the Nizam unfailingly rises from the dead every time, just when you think you buried him under a zillion Vots for lunch and On the Campaign posts. I'm beginning to develop a new respect for him, spl after you so thoughtfully (and graphically) pointed out his generous side.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Mughlai cuisine is a style of cooking developed in the Indian subcontinent by the imperial kitchens of the Mughal Empire. It represents the cooking styles used in North India (especially Uttar Pradesh and Delhi), Pakistan, Bangladesh and the Indian city of Hyderabad. The cuisine is strongly influenced by the Persian cuisine of Iran, and has in turn strongly influenced the regional cuisines of Kashmir and the Punjab region.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughlai_cuisine

Whoever wrote that does not know much about Hyderabadi cuisine.

To begin with, Nizami, Hyderabadi and Avadhi are all regional spin-offs but come under the larger common gamut of Mughali cooking which was developed in the country in the imperial kitchens of the Mughal empire. The cuisine is strongly influenced by Central Asian methods such as Persian and Turkic. Basic ingredients primarily consist of a heady robust mix of spices, generous helping of ghee, and is predominantly non-vegetarian, focusing on various methods of grilling and slow-cooking red meat.

The trick to succulent and tender meats according to chef, lies in the process of slow-cooking and adequately tenderising the meat before cooking. Marinade the lamb or mutton for three hours or over night in a paste of yogurt, browned onions, cashews, chilli, turmeric, corriander and salt.

Cook this marinated meat in a slow wood fire if available or on the gas in a sealed container, sealed using flour dough. This process of slow gentle cooking is the trick for tender meat curries and dum biryanis.

While Nizami food, cooked in the households of the Nizams of India, is rich and spicy and uses ingredients such as fresh turmeric, red chillies, and coconut, Avadhi cuisine, which is primarily North Indian in origin, involves yogurt, caramelized onions, cashews and tamarind. It is often richer and contains substantially more spice than its Nizami counterpart.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-07-24/recipes/29809402_1_cooking-chilli-chicken-tikka-masala

Charvaka's silence on the fact that Nizami food is a regional spin-off of Mughalai food is noted with amusement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:26 am

Rashmun wrote:

Charvaka's silence on the U.S. consul general's high praise for the Nizam is noted with amusement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:28 am

Should he respond within a minute of your posting?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:While Nizami food, cooked in the households of the Nizams of India, is rich and spicy and uses ingredients such as fresh turmeric, red chillies, and coconut, Avadhi cuisine, which is primarily North Indian in origin, involves yogurt, caramelized onions, cashews and tamarind. It is often richer and contains substantially more spice than its Nizami counterpart.

Charvaka's silence on the fact that Nizami food is a regional spin-off of Mughalai food is noted with amusement.
I used to be amused by your craving for my attention, but it is tiresome now. Don't expect me to respond to every nonsensical scrap of misinformed journalism that you copy-paste.

PS: Authentic Hyderabadi biryani has no turmeric, no red chilies, and no coconut in it. And it is the single best known Hyderabadi dish! It also does not have cashews or tamarind. (Andhra adaptations of biryani do have turmeric and chilies). Thanks for proving my point that Hyderabadi biryani is not Mughalai; it originated before the Mughals conquered Golconda.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:While Nizami food, cooked in the households of the Nizams of India, is rich and spicy and uses ingredients such as fresh turmeric, red chillies, and coconut, Avadhi cuisine, which is primarily North Indian in origin, involves yogurt, caramelized onions, cashews and tamarind. It is often richer and contains substantially more spice than its Nizami counterpart.

I used to be amused by your craving for my attention, but it is tiresome now. Don't expect me to respond to every nonsensical scrap of misinformed journalism that you copy-paste.

PS: Authentic Hyderabadi biryani has no turmeric, no red chilies, and no coconut in it. And it is the single best known Hyderabadi dish! It also does not have cashews or tamarind. (Andhra adaptations of biryani do have turmeric and chilies). Thanks for proving my point that Hyderabadi biryani is not Mughalai; it originated before the Mughals conquered Golconda.

One of the other well known Hyderabadi dishes is Haleem. Here is a recipe for cooking Hyderabadi Haleem which does include turmeric, green chilies, and coconut.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-08-04/recipes/33021043_1_coriander-green-chillies-wheat

Last edited by Rashmun on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:45 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

One of the other well known Hyderabadi dishes is Haleem. Here is a recipe for cooking Haleem which does include turmeric, green chilies, and coconut.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-08-04/recipes/33021043_1_coriander-green-chillies-wheat

a recipe for hyderabadi biryani which includes tumeric and green chillies:

http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/hyderabadi-chicken-biryani/

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:46 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

One of the other well known Hyderabadi dishes is Haleem. Here is a recipe for cooking Haleem which does include turmeric, green chilies, and coconut.

Authentic Hyderabadi haleem does not contain chilies or coconut. It contains turmeric.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am

Rashmun wrote:a recipe for hyderabadi biryani which includes tumeric and green chillies:

The keyword is authentic.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:48 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Authentic Hyderabadi haleem does not contain chilies or coconut. It contains turmeric.

Ali Reza Jowhar of Cafe 555 in Masab Tank has given the age old recipe for making Hyderabadi Haleem in the TOI article. His recipe includes turmeric, chillies, and coconut.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:a recipe for hyderabadi biryani which includes tumeric and green chillies:

The keyword is authentic.

authentic according to hyderabadi chefs in hyderabad or according to Charvaka?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 am

Let me repeat what Max said a long time ago on this thread:

https://such.forumotion.com/t5819p200-nizam-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#46553

this thread might have also been titled equally aptly as "rashmun's obdurate side and his love for kooks" in that case.

I recognize that you are going to try to post nonsensical toilet paper articles forever. I will leave you to that.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Charvaka's silence on the U.S. consul general's high praise for the Nizam is noted with amusement.

Charvaka, any comments on the U.S. consul general's high praise for the Nizam? If the Nizam should be compared to Nazis, as per your claim, then why is the U.S. consul general according high praise to him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Nizam, a forward-looking ruler

Proscription of bonded labour and separation of judiciary from the executive may sound modern-day concepts. But the feudal State of Hyderabad enjoyed these progressive measures a good 90 years ago.

Sounds incredible. What's more, the revolutionary reforms found their way into princely Hyderabad much before they were adopted by British India. The credit for taking the initiative goes to the seventh Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan.

The ban on ‘begar' (forced labour) was made during the birthday celebrations of the Nizam on March 20, 1922 while the ‘farman' separating judiciary from the executive was issued on May 8, 1921.

Authentic records

These revelations are part of a new book on the last Asaf Jahi ruler. It gives a rare insight into the personality of the man dubbed ‘narrow minded, communal and a miser'. The author, Dr. Syed Dawood Ashraf, takes pains to clarify that he is not an admirer of an autocratic, monarchic and absolute form of governance. “But I can't gloss over the facts which speak otherwise”, he says.

In writing “The Seventh Nizam of Hyderabad – an archival appraisal”, Dr. Ashraf has not relied on grandma tales, spoken words or hearsay. On the contrary he has based his findings on authentic and irrefutable records preserved in the A.P. State Archives and Research Institute. The book is to be released on Sunday at Abul Kalam Azad Institute, Public Garden.

Dr. Ashraf, who served in the State Archives for 29 years, has done a thorough job of including the relevant royal decrees and references at the end of each article to substantiate his findings.

No distinction

The book tells how educational, academic and scientific institutions enjoyed the Nizam's patronage without any distinction of religion, caste and creed. An interesting incident shows how the Nizam made a landmark amendment in the Civil Service Rules which granted special leave not exceeding six months with full pay to Muslim, Christian and Jew government servants to undertake pilgrimage.

When a Hindu employee, Ram Swarup Tandon, applied for this leave to go on Jatra pilgrimage, officials were puzzled since the wordings of the rules did not extend the facility to Hindus. However, the matter went up to the Nizam and the royal assent was given to the amendment on July 29, 1934, permitting all government servants to avail of the facility.

Dr. Ashraf mentions many such instances in his book to show how the reforms and developmental activities of the last Nizam outweigh his shortcomings. Is he more sinned against than sinned?

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/article3399339.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:01 pm

I thought it best to take my discussion on the Nizam with PP, which was taking place on another thread, to this thread:

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Other people accorded high praise by US diplomats: Muammar Gaddafi, Saddam Hussein, Hosni Mubarak, Augusto Pinochet.

You didn't answer the question. Why do you love kooks so much? Even after they betrayed India?

We are talking about a U.S. consul general and not just any U.S. diplomat. Has any U.S. consul general accorded high praise to any of the people you mention? If yes, please give some evidence of this.
Here is where a lowly US Consul General figures in the pecking order.

President of the United States
|__ Secretary of State
|__ Under-Secretary for Management
|__ Assistant Secretary for Consular Affairs
|__ US Ambassador to India
|__ US Consul General at one of the consulates in India

Now, here is evidence of the US president, the boss's boss's boss's boss's boss of a consul general, praising Hosni Mubarak.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2008-01-17/news/0801160356_1_egyptian-leader-bush-s-agenda-peace-treaty

President Bush lavished praise on President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt on Wednesday, emphasizing the country's role in regional security and the Israeli-Palestinian peace process while publicly avoiding mention of the government's actions in jailing or exiling opposition leaders and its severe restrictions on opposition political activities.

"I appreciate very much the long and proud tradition that you've had for a vibrant civil society," said Bush, whose joint appearance with the Egyptian leader was unannounced and, according to the White House, had been uncertain until the last minute.

First of all Bush is simply engaging in some diplomatic lip service in a joint appearance with Mubarak. Secondly, if you notice the Consul-General goes into some details as to why the Nizam needs to be appreciated.

Efforts of VII Nizam Praised by Acting Consul General

---------

Also the consul-general's views on the Nizam are in harmonious agreement with what a new biography on the Nizam says:

Nizam, a forward-looking ruler

Proscription of bonded labour and separation of judiciary from the executive may sound modern-day concepts. But the feudal State of Hyderabad enjoyed these progressive measures a good 90 years ago.

Sounds incredible. What's more, the revolutionary reforms found their way into princely Hyderabad much before they were adopted by British India. The credit for taking the initiative goes to the seventh Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan.

The ban on ‘begar' (forced labour) was made during the birthday celebrations of the Nizam on March 20, 1922 while the ‘farman' separating judiciary from the executive was issued on May 8, 1921.

Authentic records

These revelations are part of a new book on the last Asaf Jahi ruler. It gives a rare insight into the personality of the man dubbed ‘narrow minded, communal and a miser'. The author, Dr. Syed Dawood Ashraf, takes pains to clarify that he is not an admirer of an autocratic, monarchic and absolute form of governance. “But I can't gloss over the facts which speak otherwise”, he says.

In writing “The Seventh Nizam of Hyderabad – an archival appraisal”, Dr. Ashraf has not relied on grandma tales, spoken words or hearsay. On the contrary he has based his findings on authentic and irrefutable records preserved in the A.P. State Archives and Research Institute. The book is to be released on Sunday at Abul Kalam Azad Institute, Public Garden.

Dr. Ashraf, who served in the State Archives for 29 years, has done a thorough job of including the relevant royal decrees and references at the end of each article to substantiate his findings.

No distinction

The book tells how educational, academic and scientific institutions enjoyed the Nizam's patronage without any distinction of religion, caste and creed. An interesting incident shows how the Nizam made a landmark amendment in the Civil Service Rules which granted special leave not exceeding six months with full pay to Muslim, Christian and Jew government servants to undertake pilgrimage.

When a Hindu employee, Ram Swarup Tandon, applied for this leave to go on Jatra pilgrimage, officials were puzzled since the wordings of the rules did not extend the facility to Hindus. However, the matter went up to the Nizam and the royal assent was given to the amendment on July 29, 1934, permitting all government servants to avail of the facility.

Dr. Ashraf mentions many such instances in his book to show how the reforms and developmental activities of the last Nizam outweigh his shortcomings. Is he more sinned against than sinned?

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/article3399339.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:17 pm

When the Nizam turned poet on Republic Day in 1950

January 26, 1950. The air was rife with patriotic fervour. In Delhi a grand parade was held near Rajpath to mark India's first Republic Day. In Hyderabad the occasion was celebrated at the Public Gardens with the seventh Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan, who was sworn in as “Raj Pramukh', taking part. M. K. Vellodi, a senior civil servant, who was appointed the Chief Minister, was also present.

The festivities over, the Nizam drove to his palace in King Kothi and hurriedly put down his thoughts in the form of a poem. Guess what he could have penned? It was a Persian ‘nazm' highlighting the significance of Republic Day. Not many know how the Nizam rejoiced at India becoming a Republic. An English translation by Sir Nizamat Jung, a former minister, brings out the beauty of the Persian verses.

The tidings that from Delhi's walls rang wide

Brought solace to all hearts, and joy and pride

The 16-verse poem highlights the Nizam's spirit of flexibility and ends on a joyous note:

The new Dawn's greetings, “Osman”, rich and strange

And the four quarters hail the promised change

Though he lost his monarchy the Nizam lost no time in adapting to the new realities. “He did not allow any reservations to overcome him and whole-heartedly welcomed the change,” says Dawood Ashraf, a researcher who has collected the Persian poem and its English translation from a government file preserved in the A.P. State Achieves and Research Institution. The Nizam did not remain content composing the poem. He wanted it published in prominent English newspapers in the country. He immediately sent an English translation of his Persian poem to Mr. Vellodi's residence in Bolarum with a request to forward it to ‘higher authorities' in Delhi. “I would like this poem to be published in English papers in India in commemoration of that historic declaration as it was an unique event in the annals of India,” Osman Ali Khan wrote to Mr. Vellodi.

The latter then sent the poem with his remarks to V.P. Menon, Secretary, Ministry of States, Delhi, with a request to bring it to the notice of then Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, and Home Minister.

Pandit Nehru is stated to have suggested the publication of the poem along with its English translation. “But it is not known when and in which newspapers the poem was published,” says Mr. Ashraf.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/article2833385.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:When the Nizam turned poet on Republic Day in 1950

January 26, 1950. The air was rife with patriotic fervour. In Delhi a grand parade was held near Rajpath to mark India's first Republic Day. In Hyderabad the occasion was celebrated at the Public Gardens with the seventh Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan, who was sworn in as “Raj Pramukh', taking part. M. K. Vellodi, a senior civil servant, who was appointed the Chief Minister, was also present.

The festivities over, the Nizam drove to his palace in King Kothi and hurriedly put down his thoughts in the form of a poem. Guess what he could have penned? It was a Persian ‘nazm' highlighting the significance of Republic Day. Not many know how the Nizam rejoiced at India becoming a Republic. An English translation by Sir Nizamat Jung, a former minister, brings out the beauty of the Persian verses.

The 16-verse poem highlights the Nizam's spirit of flexibility and ends on a joyous note:

Though he lost his monarchy the Nizam lost no time in adapting to the new realities. “He did not allow any reservations to overcome him and whole-heartedly welcomed the change,” says Dawood Ashraf, a researcher who has collected the Persian poem and its English translation from a government file preserved in the A.P. State Achieves and Research Institution. The Nizam did not remain content composing the poem. He wanted it published in prominent English newspapers in the country. He immediately sent an English translation of his Persian poem to Mr. Vellodi's residence in Bolarum with a request to forward it to ‘higher authorities' in Delhi. “I would like this poem to be published in English papers in India in commemoration of that historic declaration as it was an unique event in the annals of India,” Osman Ali Khan wrote to Mr. Vellodi.

The latter then sent the poem with his remarks to V.P. Menon, Secretary, Ministry of States, Delhi, with a request to bring it to the notice of then Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, and Home Minister.

Pandit Nehru is stated to have suggested the publication of the poem along with its English translation. “But it is not known when and in which newspapers the poem was published,” says Mr. Ashraf.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/article2833385.ece

Chunmun, you and KV are living the era of your diaper days.

When will you cross the 1950s and step into 2012?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:36 pm

How the Nizam lost Hyderabad in 1948

Hyderabad, the largest princely state at the time of Indian independence was caught in a confusing web, partly of its own making. Bred on the delusion of born to rule, always protected by the British and egged on by Razakars, a volunteer militia, the seventh Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan, was pitching for independent sovereign state. Often susceptible to wrong advice, the Nizam took the “dispute” of Hyderabad’s future to the U.N Security Council even while preposterously considering the option of merging Hyderabad with newly carved out Pakistan. On the other hand, India was furiously pursuing Hyderabad to join the Indian Union adopting a carrot and stick policy authored by Sardar Vallabbhai Patel....

Expectedly he finds a contrasting perception inside the ruling system: “Hyderabad was viewed as a state blessed with a remarkably secular outlook, enjoying communal harmony, with a benign ruler concerned with the advancement of the poor and the protection of the oppressed; an excellent administration … and an eclectic ruling elite …”

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/books/article3765710.ece

-------
Nizam should have quickly come to an agreement with the post-independence Indian govt. like the Nawab of Arcot did. It seems he was ill-served by his advisors in this connection.
Despite his serious mistake (of not quickly coming to an agreement with post-independent India like the Nawab of Arcot), one cannot forget the good things he did as a ruler.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:38 pm

southindian wrote:
Rashmun wrote:When the Nizam turned poet on Republic Day in 1950

Chunmun, you and KV are living the era of your diaper days.

When will you cross the 1950s and step into 2012?

i am a student of history. Also, will you be man enough to post using one handle or will you continue taking various different handles to attack a particular poster? it seems to me that you are the one running around in diapers as far as this forum is concerned.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and now it looks he wasn't playing with a full deck.

this guy looks like an eminently caricaturable nutbag. hope rushdie reads about him and puts him in one of his books.

There was the time he wanted a new blanket to keep him warm and ordered a servant to buy him a new one - with strict orders not to spend more than 25 rupees (32p at today's rates).

The aide came back empty-handed because a new blanket cost 35 rupees (45p). So the Nizam made do with his threadbare old blanket.

Then there was the time he donated trunkloads of gold coins to the National Defence Fund of India and said to his workers: "I am donating the coins, not the trunks. See that they are returned."
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
this guy looks like an eminently caricaturable nutbag. hope rushdie reads about him and puts him in one of his books.

There was the time he wanted a new blanket to keep him warm and ordered a servant to buy him a new one - with strict orders not to spend more than 25 rupees (32p at today's rates).

The aide came back empty-handed because a new blanket cost 35 rupees (45p). So the Nizam made do with his threadbare old blanket.

Then there was the time he donated trunkloads of gold coins to the National Defence Fund of India and said to his workers: "I am donating the coins, not the trunks. See that they are returned."
Indeed. This is why my graphic shows that his miserly side is bigger than his generous side.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:19 am

Rashmun wrote:.....Though he lost his monarchy the Nizam lost no time in adapting to the new realities. “He did not allow any reservations to overcome him and whole-heartedly welcomed the change,” says Dawood Ashraf, a researcher who has collected the Persian poem and its English translation from a government file preserved in the A.P. State Achieves and Research Institution. The Nizam did not remain content composing the poem. He wanted it published in prominent English newspapers in the country. He immediately sent an English translation of his Persian poem to Mr. Vellodi's residence in Bolarum with a request to forward it to ‘higher authorities' in Delhi. “I would like this poem to be published in English papers in India in commemoration of that historic declaration as it was an unique event in the annals of India,” Osman Ali Khan wrote to Mr. Vellodi.

This behavior is so typical of the various small rulers under British India. Despotic to the core with their subjects, they'd bow and scrape to a superior power without the slightest of qualms. Ingratiation came naturally to them. Dig deeper and you might find more poems the man wrote every time he had some interaction with the British royalty. In the unlikely event of Hyderabad ever becoming part of Pakistan, rest assured, the Nizam would have penned down a similar "nazm" hailing the triumph of Islam, the magnificence of the Quaid-e-Azam etc.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:31 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:In the unlikely event of Hyderabad ever becoming part of Pakistan, rest assured, the Nizam would have penned down a similar "nazm" hailing the triumph of Islam, the magnificence of the Quaid-e-Azam etc.
And he could have legitimately claimed a lot of the credit for it too!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

even Gandhiji is said to have been a miser. Would you like Gandhiji to also be caricatured? The fact that the Nizam was stingy with taxpayers' money needs to be appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:36 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

even Gandhiji is said to have been a miser. Would you like Gandhiji to also be caricatured? The fact that the Nizam was stingy with taxpayers' money needs to be appreciated.

in another thread Charvaka, while referring to the discussion on this thread, writes:

panini press wrote:

Great illustration of Rashmun's love for kooks: Nizam, like Gandhi, deserves praise.

I presume Nizam deserves praise also for collecting all that taxpayer money to make himself richest man in the world. He deserves double praise for keeping much of it after the Indian Army forced him to surrender.

--> As usual, Charvaka continues to use his defective logic. What i meant was that Nizam should not be criticized on being a miser. In fact he should be praised for being stingy with taxpayers' money. I myself criticize the Nizam for not quickly coming to an agreement with the Indian govt. at the time of Indian independence like the Nawab of Arcot did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:00 pm

There used to be a time when the Nawabs of Arcot used to be deputies of the Nizam. It is an irony of history that the Nizams are no longer around in India whereas the current Nawab of Arcot continues to play a significant role in Indian politics, lives in a palace, and has a retinue of around 700 people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Hyderabad: On 26 January 1950 on the eve of the first republic day of the country, Hyderabad state which was merged into the Indian union by a military action, celebrated republic day with all its royal grandeur. In Hyderabad the occasion was celebrated at the Public Gardens by the seventh Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan, who was sworn in as “Raj Pramukh” along with MK Vellodi, a senior civil servant, who was then appointed as the Chief Minister of the Hyderabad state. When the festivities were over Nizam drove back to his palace at king Koti and penned down his feelings in the form of a Persian poem. This poem will surprise many who considered the last Nizam of Hyderabad as a traitor and a pro-Pakistani.

The poem originally written in Persian was translated by Sir Nizamat Jung, a leading literary figure of Hyderabad and a former minister in erstwhile Nizam's government. For around sixty years the poem was, consigned to the archives of the file of correspondence between the Nizam and the Chief Minister, at the Andhra Pradesh [AP] State Archives and Research Institute. This fact was brought into lime light through the book on ‘Archival Glimpses of the Deccan’ penned by historian Syed Dawood Ashraf. "The poem is interesting because in the initial phase, Osman Ali Khan was reluctant to join the Indian Union. For this reason, many in other parts of India tend to raise questions over the patriotism of the Nizams. But it is now clear that he was reconciled to the new reality, he did not allow any reservations to overcome him and whole-heartedly welcomed the change" the historian said.

The 16-verse poem starts like,

Ends on a blissful note:

The Nizam didn’t remain pleased by just composing the poem, besides he showed his willingness to publish the poem in prominent English newspapers in the country. He immediately sent an English translation of his Persian poem to Mr. Vellodi’s [the then Chief Minister of Hyderabad] state residence in Bolarum along with a request to forward it to ‘higher authorities' in Delhi. “I would like this poem to be published in English papers in India in commemoration of the historic declaration, as it was a unique event in the annals of India,” states the letter which Mir Osman Ali Khan wrote to Mr. Vellodi.

Vellodi dispatched the letter to secretary of state V P Menon who replied that he had shown the poem to the Home Minister Sardar vallabhai Patel and Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. Menon’s reply letter says,"The Prime Minister thinks it would be a good idea to publish both the original Persian poem and its translation and I shall be grateful if you will kindly advice H.E.H. accordingly.”
But it is still unknown, in which English news daily the poem was published. However the Persian poem and its English translation with the letters of correspondence in between the last Nizam of Hyderabad to his chief minister and its subsequent replies from Delhi are conserved in AP State Archives and Research Institute.

http://twocircles.net/2012jan26/hyderabad’s_last_nizam_had_reconciled_indian_republic_says_his_poem.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 pm

i will just point out to Charvaka and others that the Nizam would not have been sworn in as 'Raj Pramukh' (Governor) of AP, in 1950, if he would really have been comparable to the Nazis as Charvaka imagines to be the case.

Rashmun wrote:Hyderabad: On 26 January 1950 on the eve of the first republic day of the country, Hyderabad state which was merged into the Indian union by a military action, celebrated republic day with all its royal grandeur. In Hyderabad the occasion was celebrated at the Public Gardens by the seventh Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan, who was sworn in as “Raj Pramukh” along with MK Vellodi, a senior civil servant, who was then appointed as the Chief Minister of the Hyderabad state. When the festivities were over Nizam drove back to his palace at king Koti and penned down his feelings in the form of a Persian poem. This poem will surprise many who considered the last Nizam of Hyderabad as a traitor and a pro-Pakistani.

The poem originally written in Persian was translated by Sir Nizamat Jung, a leading literary figure of Hyderabad and a former minister in erstwhile Nizam's government. For around sixty years the poem was, consigned to the archives of the file of correspondence between the Nizam and the Chief Minister, at the Andhra Pradesh [AP] State Archives and Research Institute. This fact was brought into lime light through the book on ‘Archival Glimpses of the Deccan’ penned by historian Syed Dawood Ashraf. "The poem is interesting because in the initial phase, Osman Ali Khan was reluctant to join the Indian Union. For this reason, many in other parts of India tend to raise questions over the patriotism of the Nizams. But it is now clear that he was reconciled to the new reality, he did not allow any reservations to overcome him and whole-heartedly welcomed the change" the historian said.

The 16-verse poem starts like,

Ends on a blissful note:

The Nizam didn’t remain pleased by just composing the poem, besides he showed his willingness to publish the poem in prominent English newspapers in the country. He immediately sent an English translation of his Persian poem to Mr. Vellodi’s [the then Chief Minister of Hyderabad] state residence in Bolarum along with a request to forward it to ‘higher authorities' in Delhi. “I would like this poem to be published in English papers in India in commemoration of the historic declaration, as it was a unique event in the annals of India,” states the letter which Mir Osman Ali Khan wrote to Mr. Vellodi.

Vellodi dispatched the letter to secretary of state V P Menon who replied that he had shown the poem to the Home Minister Sardar vallabhai Patel and Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. Menon’s reply letter says,"The Prime Minister thinks it would be a good idea to publish both the original Persian poem and its translation and I shall be grateful if you will kindly advice H.E.H. accordingly.”
But it is still unknown, in which English news daily the poem was published. However the Persian poem and its English translation with the letters of correspondence in between the last Nizam of Hyderabad to his chief minister and its subsequent replies from Delhi are conserved in AP State Archives and Research Institute.

http://twocircles.net/2012jan26/hyderabad’s_last_nizam_had_reconciled_indian_republic_says_his_poem.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next