Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sachin Tendulkar on NPR this morning

+6
confuzzled dude
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
truthbetold
goodcitizn
southindian
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sachin Tendulkar on NPR this morning - Page 2 Empty Re: Sachin Tendulkar on NPR this morning

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:35 pm

interesting on the eve of tendulkar's retirement, the most looked up player pages on cricinfo are those of dravid, bradman, and jacques kallis. people are obviously doing all kinds of comparisons.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Sachin Tendulkar on NPR this morning - Page 2 Empty Re: Sachin Tendulkar on NPR this morning

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 pm

jacques kallis - has about 2500 runs less than tendulkar but has about 240 wkts more than him. who is a more valuable cricketer to his country?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:47 pm

what is really galling and the reason so many are irritated is this. if west indians worship lara, there is excellent reason for it. he pretty much shouldered the entire team for about two-thirds of his career. one could say the same of richard hadlee and to a lesser extent sunil gavaskar. but the people who played with tendulkar were towering giants in their own right, but the adulation that tendulkar's fans demand from others is just not proportionate (in a relative sense). their hero worship makes it seem like tendulkar's relative worth to his team was of the same magnitude as lara's to his or hadlee's to his. that's nowhere close to the truth.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 pm

one group of people are making what should be a joyous occasion into one of rancor and argument filled with needless comparisons -- rabid tendulkar fans.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm expecting Windies to fold before the end of day today, making it Sachn's last day on field as cricketer. I hope he gets to bowl today and gets a few wickets.

Someone said, "Sachin Tendulkar is to cricket what Michael Jordan is to basketball" and I agree. (Brian Lara)

Tendulkar's pulsating swan song

Sachin is the greatest cricketer in the last 2 generations, so if you are lucky you can enjoy seeing him one last time on a cricket field.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Sachin Tendulkar leads the Indian side onto the field, what could as well be his final day playing cricket for India.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:we are a nation of batting worshippers. no wonder we value tendulkar, dravid, ganguly, and laxman over kumble. in australia all said and done, warne is a bigger deal than ponting and murali is a bigger deal than anyone else in sri lanka.
No wonder tonty-tonty is smashing hit in India.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Roger Federer, Gary Linekar tweet best wishes for the greatest cricketer.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what is really galling and the reason so many are irritated is this. if west indians worship lara, there is excellent reason for it. he pretty much shouldered the entire team for about two-thirds of his career. one could say the same of richard hadlee and to a lesser extent sunil gavaskar. but the people who played with tendulkar were towering giants in their own right, but the adulation that tendulkar's fans demand from others is just not proportionate (in a relative sense). their hero worship makes it seem like tendulkar's relative worth to his team was of the same magnitude as lara's to his or hadlee's to his. that's nowhere close to the truth.
You forgot, Sachin shouldered the burden of billion people.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what is really galling and the reason so many are irritated is this. if west indians worship lara, there is excellent reason for it. he pretty much shouldered the entire team for about two-thirds of his career. one could say the same of richard hadlee and to a lesser extent sunil gavaskar. but the people who played with tendulkar were towering giants in their own right, but the adulation that tendulkar's fans demand from others is just not proportionate (in a relative sense). their hero worship makes it seem like tendulkar's relative worth to his team was of the same magnitude as lara's to his or hadlee's to his. that's nowhere close to the truth.
You forgot, Sachin shouldered the burden of billion people.
True! You got that right.

Thanks
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:53 am

162/8... sachin gets to bowl. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:53 am

Wankhede stadium just erupted. Sachin comes to bowl in his final test. WI 8 down.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:17 am

It's over!

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 am

Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar's last cricket test match is over.

The greatest cricketer I'll ever witness in my lifetime leaves the field.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:24 am

Southie, are you in India or insomnia?

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:27 am

I was in India in October and will be there in December. Damn my visits messed up due to BCCI's late itinerary.

Watching on zillow now from US.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:35 am

Nice. Looking forward to a whole day of sachin memories and flash backs on TV. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:37 am

Prahlad kakkar (ads guy): sachin requested me to rewrite the scripts of some commercials cos he cringed that the scripts made him looker bigger than the game. I obliged.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:44 am

India should have played Zimbabwe. at least the 2 test matches would have lasted 4 days and TenduCker would have scored 249.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:47 am

It's willow.tv not zillow. MoM Ojha.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:54 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:India should have played Zimbabwe. at least the 2 test matches would have lasted 4 days and TenduCker would have scored 249.
India could have played any test playing nation and fun would still be same.

India and the world would have still loved to watch the greatest cricketer Sachin Tendulkar.

I hope you were lucky and enjoyed Sachin's last appearance representing India.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:05 am

southindian wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:India should have played Zimbabwe. at least the 2 test matches would have lasted 4 days and TenduCker would have scored 249.
India could have played any test playing nation and fun would still be same.

India and the world would have still loved to watch the greatest cricketer Sachin Tendulkar.

I hope you were lucky and enjoyed Sachin's last appearance representing India.
+1

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:20 am

Sachin Tendulkar is having the Oscar moment of his life. He deserves it.

India deserves Sachin's Oscar moment for his 24 year service. You'll not see a Sachin Tendulkar again in your life.

We'll follow cricket in future, if I ever get a chance.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:30 am

A lap around the ground on the shoulders of kohli and dhoni, a kiss of the pitch and curtains for the little master.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:38 am

In the end when everything was over, Sachin went alone to the 22 yards that defined him. He revered and kissed the pitch one last time.

Respect... Patriot... Humility...

That's Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. My idol.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 am

Really liked the speech by Sachin.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:58 am

Respect. Truly humble man. Nice speech.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:38 am

LOVE YOU SACHIN. BYE.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:46 am

southindian wrote:It's willow.tv not zillow. MoM Ojha.
MoM shami -- 5 wickets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:39 am

Bharat ratna for sachin declared. Shehzada was at wankhede yesterday. All stops out to woo voters... the poor and hungry with food security and hey, why not the cricket crazy population too! Sachin well be the first sportsman to get a Bharat ratna.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:45 am

sachin is as much a media made hero as a real accomplishments based hero.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:29 am

"Sachin Tendulkar to get Bharat Ratna"

Sure! Sachin is India's jewel. Thanks Sachin.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:32 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:Respect. Truly humble man. Nice speech.
Yes, Sachin spoke from his heart and showed his humility.

Loved every word of his speech.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:15 pm

i don't know what drew me to watching the aus vs india ODI but now i want to watch more cricket to see more of these courageous young lads, brimming with talent, in action: rohit sharma, virat kohli, shikar dhawan, pujara.

for southie (hope you've seen taare zameen par) :

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Sachin (paraphrasing) "you are my best partnership" ( to his wife anjali) .

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:31 pm

It was a nice & touching speech. Mostly thanking everyone that helped him accomplish his goals. I wish he took a bit of time to reflect on his career but again he has rest of his life to do that.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sachin is as much a media made hero as a real accomplishments based hero.
Sachin Tendulkar on NPR this morning - Page 2 8046lm
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:43 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sachin is as much a media made hero as a real accomplishments based hero.
Sachin Tendulkar on NPR this morning - Page 2 8046lm
Ha ha ha! Couldn't stay away?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Hellsu.. half-bit arm-chair analysis riled me up a little bit.

It is one thing to argue that Dravid and others should have gotten such a farewell but to completely be oblivious to SRT carrying the burden forever before Dravid/Laxman came into the picture is very short-sighted and ludicrous.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:05 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:Hellsu.. half-bit arm-chair analysis riled me up a little bit.

It is one thing to argue that Dravid and others should have gotten such a farewell but to completely be oblivious to SRT carrying the burden forever before Dravid/Laxman came into the picture is very short-sighted and ludicrous.
strawman. nobody ever denied that. but we are now in a position to do a complete analysis. do you think sachin's contributions to indian cricket on some normalized basis, say normalized by the net contribution of his own and the other colleagues he played with - dravid, laxman, kumble, and ganguly is greater than a similar measure for hadlee and lara? i picked those two in particular because to me their proportional contribution appears outsized.

nobody is hating tendulkar, but we also don't like outsized and disproportionate adulation either.

and "forever before..." is an oxymoron.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:12 pm

post deleted and moved to a different thread.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ball Taakre Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:37 am

southindian wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:Respect. Truly humble man. Nice speech.
Yes, Sachin spoke from his heart and showed his humility.

Loved every word of his speech.
that was a very good speech. usually, when he talks, i don't listen because he is not good at speaking. he tries to be diplomatic and tries to sound good not wanting to hurt anyone's sentiments. he is rarely sponteneous or speaks his mind. on that day, however, he surprised me. he was composed, in total control of emotions, did not mumble or fumble and delivered what he claims to be a sponteneous speech. not once was he at loss of words. and here i was, thinking 'he is going to make a complete mess of his speech.'

Ball Taakre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2