Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dravid backs 'terrific' Rahane at No. 5

2 posters

Go down

Dravid backs 'terrific' Rahane at No. 5 Empty Dravid backs 'terrific' Rahane at No. 5

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:01 pm

When asked about the similarities and differences between him and Rahane, Dravid said Rahane's development had been "terrific", especially considering the frustrating period of several months he had to spend on the India bench. Starting from the tour of South Africa in late 2013, Rahane has become one of the most consistent run-getters for India. He has made centuries in Australia, England, New Zealand and Sri Lanka, to go with 96 in South Africa and 98 in Bangladesh.

"He is a different generation cricketer," Dravid said. "He does play a lot more shots than me. He scores at a quicker rate than I did. I am sure he entertains people a bit more than I did. What I really like about him is that he has had to work very hard to get into the Indian side. In a sense it has been similar to someone like me. I spent five years, 55-60 first-class games, 17-18 first-class hundreds to get into the India side. That is similar to him. He averages 60 in first-class cricket to get into the side.

"Maybe he was not perceived to be as flashy as other people. Maybe he did not look as good as other people did. But the results are there to see. If you look at the last year and a half there are so many overseas tours India has played. Ajinkya has probably been India's best batsman with runs and hundreds in probably every country he has played in.

"That has been terrific for me to see how he has grown. The fact that he has kept his patience. It would not have been easy. When you see people racing ahead of you with not maybe the same (number of) first-class runs as you, suddenly getting more opportunities, I am sure that would not have been easy for him. It needs mental strength and courage to do that. For me the most pleasing fact is he has come out on the other side, the fact that has happened tells me there is the potential for a long and successful career."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/917833.html

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Dravid backs 'terrific' Rahane at No. 5 Empty Re: Dravid backs 'terrific' Rahane at No. 5

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:18 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
When asked about the similarities and differences between him and Rahane, Dravid said Rahane's development had been "terrific", especially considering the frustrating period of several months he had to spend on the India bench. Starting from the tour of South Africa in late 2013, Rahane has become one of the most consistent run-getters for India. He has made centuries in Australia, England, New Zealand and Sri Lanka, to go with 96 in South Africa and 98 in Bangladesh.

"He is a different generation cricketer," Dravid said. "He does play a lot more shots than me. He scores at a quicker rate than I did. I am sure he entertains people a bit more than I did. What I really like about him is that he has had to work very hard to get into the Indian side. In a sense it has been similar to someone like me. I spent five years, 55-60 first-class games, 17-18 first-class hundreds to get into the India side. That is similar to him. He averages 60 in first-class cricket to get into the side.

"Maybe he was not perceived to be as flashy as other people. Maybe he did not look as good as other people did. But the results are there to see. If you look at the last year and a half there are so many overseas tours India has played. Ajinkya has probably been India's best batsman with runs and hundreds in probably every country he has played in.

"That has been terrific for me to see how he has grown. The fact that he has kept his patience. It would not have been easy. When you see people racing ahead of you with not maybe the same (number of) first-class runs as you, suddenly getting more opportunities, I am sure that would not have been easy for him. It needs mental strength and courage to do that. For me the most pleasing fact is he has come out on the other side, the fact that has happened tells me there is the potential for a long and successful career."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/917833.html

Notice how Dravid is meticulously avoiding the Nohit name, and pushing Rahane and Pujara (for #3) while Kohli/Sastry/Bangar/Gavaskar pushing for Nohit - in whatever position he feels COMFORTABLE.

Let us see if politics wins or prejudice wins. Looks like Ganguly is pushing for Binny. Even Jadeja is better than Binny. May be even Baba Aparajith is better as an alrounder.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down