Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quesrion for Chennai Residents -real estate question

+4
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
truthbetold
nevada
Kris
8 posters

Go down

Quesrion for Chennai Residents -real estate question Empty Quesrion for Chennai Residents -real estate question

Post by Kris Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 pm

I am looking for general information on geographic areas in the city and immediate environs, which have good appreciation and rent potential. Price should be around $200,000- at least a 2 Bedroom apartment. To close within 6 months. Several builders have projects under construction and won't release at least till mid to late 2013, which is past the 6 month time frame. If you have specific builders' names, that would be helpful too.

TIA

Kris

Back to top Go down

Quesrion for Chennai Residents -real estate question Empty Re: Quesrion for Chennai Residents -real estate question

Post by Kris Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Kris wrote:I am looking for general information on geographic areas in the city and immediate environs, which have good appreciation and rent potential. Price should be around $200,000- at least a 2 Bedroom apartment. To close within 6 months. Several builders have projects under construction and won't release at least till mid to late 2013, which is past the 6 month time frame. If you have specific builders' names, that would be helpful too.

TIA

>>> Will hold the property for at least 3 years.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Quesrion for Chennai Residents -real estate question Empty Re: Quesrion for Chennai Residents -real estate question

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:46 pm

My brother's (a chennaikar) reco: Hiranandani builders. They have two projects going on right now, he believes.
One on old mahabalipuram road, an IT park. It is going on in multiple phases. So you might find something which you can close within 6 months. It has views of the muthukadu lake and the sea. Rate: 5100/sq ft and upwards. Rs. 50/sq ft extra for every additional floor, starting from the 5th floor.

Second project is near Oragadam road. It's a manufacturing/car company hub. The project is called palace heights. Has golf courses nearby. Maybe ready by the end of the yr. maybe cheaper than the first one.

This is all the info I could gather. Good luck with your investment Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Sorry for hijacking the thread but have any of considered investing in a Condo in places like Chicago? A friend of mine lives there and showed me a condo selling for about 60k. It fetches rent of $1000-$1200 per month as it is within walking distance to Amtrak. Return on investment is very very low in India as compared to the US.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Just a note of caution. Property management is difficult and expensive for one or two condos and apt in usa. One of my cousins got.burned in condo purchase in chicago. Both nonnpayment of rent and property maintenance are problems. In usa buy close by so that you can visit at moments noticenand be handy to cut down costs. However i am aware of several successful large apt complex owners of indian origin.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:21 pm

kinnera wrote:My brother's (a chennaikar) reco: Hiranandani builders. They have two projects going on right now, he believes.
One on old mahabalipuram road, an IT park. It is going on in multiple phases. So you might find something which you can close within 6 months. It has views of the muthukadu lake and the sea. Rate: 5100/sq ft and upwards. Rs. 50/sq ft extra for every additional floor, starting from the 5th floor.

Second project is near Oragadam road. It's a manufacturing/car company hub. The project is called palace heights. Has golf courses nearby. Maybe ready by the end of the yr. maybe cheaper than the first one.

>>>>Thanks, Kinnera. I have talked to Hiranandani and also been to the site at Oragadam when they first started out. It is one of the options(likely the OMR road- looks like it may have better appreciation potential based on my inital research).

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:32 pm

nevada wrote:Sorry for hijacking the thread but have any of considered investing in a Condo in places like Chicago? A friend of mine lives there and showed me a condo selling for about 60k. It fetches rent of $1000-$1200 per month as it is within walking distance to Amtrak. Return on investment is very very low in India as compared to the US.

>>>>The ROI on India depends on the timing and location- can be quite lucrative sometimes. In the US, being in close proximity or a solid property management company would be prereqs for me. I have both on my rental. Looks like the appreciation potential in the current market is nothing to write home about. There are deals on foreclosed homes and also investors who are promoting projects which flip run down fixer uppers. One of my friends has been investing in these, mostly in the south and midwest. He has had some luck, but said some of these guys are outright frauds.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:58 pm

nevada wrote:Sorry for hijacking the thread but have any of considered investing in a Condo in places like Chicago? A friend of mine lives there and showed me a condo selling for about 60k. It fetches rent of $1000-$1200 per month as it is within walking distance to Amtrak. Return on investment is very very low in India as compared to the US.

There are very good real estates available - but the credit is also very tight. The easiest way is to pay hard cash. That is possible only for a few. That is one reason why only phoreners - are buying up real estate with hard cash. A NYT article said Indians are buying up everywhere. My own SIL is looking for a unit in Manhattan - with upto million in CASH (they are frikkin desis).

So of you have hard cash, then go for it.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: My own SIL is looking for a unit in Manhattan - with upto million in CASH (they are frikkin desis).

is that manhattan manhattan, or manhattan in your neck of the woods? for $1 M cash i'd imagine one could buy up the whole state of kansas.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 pm

kinnera wrote:My brother's (a chennaikar) reco: Hiranandani builders. They have two projects going on right now, he believes.

Hiranandhani palace gardens in Orgadam has been stagnating for a while. Do your deligence before jumping in. The one in OMR road though has been selling out like hot cakes, the cost / sq feet though is very high. Not good for investment purpose

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 pm

I am actually looking at two or three properties myself,

1. Embassy suites near the TamilNadu hospital(Called something else now)
2. Estancia on the GST road
3. L&T Eden garden in Siruseri..

Let me know if you know of any other integrated estates that are worth a mention.

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:20 pm

"not very good for investment"

what kinda fukwitz (with due apologies to kris who is not really looking at apartments from that perspective) looks at luxury flats at sky high valuations and ultra low cap rate as investments in high inflation india? my agri lands yield 2% tax free with multibagger potential and these apartments yield just abt that after TDI and paying middleman etc without much headroom for appreciation. buying apartments in desh as cashflow investments is a fool's endeavor, I respectfully submit to the fukwitzian cognoscenti.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:"not very good for investment"

what kinda fukwitz (with due apologies to kris who is not really looking at apartments from that perspective) looks at luxury flats at sky high valuations and ultra low cap rate as investments in high inflation india? my agri lands yield 2% tax free with multibagger potential and these apartments yield just abt that after TDI and paying middleman etc without much headroom for appreciation. buying apartments in desh as cashflow investments is a fool's endeavor, I respectfully submit to the fukwitzian cognoscenti.

I might not be a tell-tall investor like you but doesn't agri lands take a wee bit more maintenance then say an apartment ? Also, I just sold my apartment of four years with a gain of 35%. If making money is a fool's endeavor then yes, I pride in being one.

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Mr. T wrote:

I might not be a tell-tall investor like you but doesn't agri lands take a wee bit more maintenance then say an apartment ? Also, I just sold my apartment of four years with a gain of 35%. If making money is a fool's endeavor then yes, I pride in being one.

bwahahaaaa@35% gain in four years. I got news for you - you lost money.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Mr. T wrote:

I guess I am talking to Warren Buffet in disguise !!!!

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Mr. T wrote: Also, I just sold my apartment of four years with a gain of 35%.

is that inclusive of currency exchange rate losses?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:08 am

Mr. T wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Mr. T wrote:

No, Propa is right. Any half-decent mutual fund in India would have given you far better returns.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Mr. T wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Mr. T wrote:

No, Propa is right. Any half-decent mutual fund in India would have given you far better returns.

yes. 9~10.5% tax free. further, discount 35% by capital gains tax, maintenance and municipal tax (if you haven't already).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:35 am

as per an article i read a few days ago, the fastest growing cities in india are mumbai, delhi and bengaluru. delhi is slated to overtake mumbai as the commercial capital by 2020. i am seeking a flat or two in bengaluru. let's see.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-07-14/news/32675022_1_commercial-capital-capita-income-delhi-s-gdp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:36 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Mr. T wrote: Also, I just sold my apartment of four years with a gain of 35%.

is that inclusive of currency exchange rate losses?

Not applicable, was just shifting money around locally then.. no foreign currency involved.

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:37 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:as per an article i read a few days ago, the fastest growing cities in india are mumbai, delhi and bengaluru. delhi is slated to overtake mumbai as the commercial capital by 2020. i am seeking a flat or two in bengaluru. let's see.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-07-14/news/32675022_1_commercial-capital-capita-income-delhi-s-gdp

Not sure how valid this is...from what I saw, bangalore real estate has started to stagnate, chennai real estate returns are outgunning Bangalore. Wouldn't know about Mumbai and Delhi.

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 am

Mr. T wrote:Not sure how valid this is...from what I saw, bangalore real estate has started to stagnate, chennai real estate returns are outgunning Bangalore. Wouldn't know about Mumbai and Delhi.
you do have a point. i spoke to my cousin today about my plans -- he has an apartment in bangalore. he had bought his in 2005. in 7 years the price has tripled. but, he felt, that those who had bought properties in the 2004-05 period were the ones who had reaped the most benefits. his 4 year old flat in hyderabad, otoh, was still in a loss situation. frankly, you can never predict with any certainty in real estate (bit like stock markets). i am still tempted to go ahead and buy a flat in bangalore though (regardless of appreciation) and will study the landscape in my next trip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 pm

talking about delhi, my delhi cousin...oh let me not get started. prices have skyrocketed and skyrocketed in delhi and still no end in sight. all the sceptics have been silenced.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Mr. T wrote:Not sure how valid this is...from what I saw, bangalore real estate has started to stagnate, chennai real estate returns are outgunning Bangalore. Wouldn't know about Mumbai and Delhi.
you do have a point. i spoke to my cousin today about my plans -- he has an apartment in bangalore. he had bought his in 2005. in 7 years the price has tripled. but, he felt, that those who had bought properties in the 2004-05 period were the ones who had reaped the most benefits. his 4 year old flat in hyderabad, otoh, was still in a loss situation. frankly, you can never predict with any certainty in real estate (bit like stock markets). i am still tempted to go ahead and buy a flat in bangalore though (regardless of appreciation) and will study the landscape in my next trip.

Let me know where you finally decide on putting ur money...

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:04 pm

ok. can you send me a note (with ym/gmail/etc.) if you have tips? i have some surplus now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:14 am

Mr. T wrote:I am actually looking at two or three properties myself,

Let me know if you know of any other integrated estates that are worth a mention.

>>>> Sorry about the late response, been a bit pressed for time. I put a deposit on Estancia a few years ago and pulled out when we had the 2008 meltdown, since I was spread a bit thin on the RE holdings. If it is the same one ( I don't if they have more than one project) near Crescent engrg college (?), I have heard that the workmanship is good from some who bought there. I drove by there and got a "middle class flats" vibe from the outside. That cuts into equity buildup potential, IMO. The increasing prices is narrowing the gap now, not to mention the abysmally low rents compared to the prices. If you scout enough, you could probably get in on the ground floor and still come out fine in a few years, but the dynamic has definitely changed. I bought in 2005 and 2006 and did well when I sold them., Right now, I am looking at reinvestment for capital gains purposes. BTW, I was told Sobha is a good builder and are just launching in Chennai. I haven't checked their numbers yet. I will be in India in a couple of weeks. Will post with additional info if anything interesting develops.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am

Kris wrote:

>>>> Sorry about the late response, been a bit pressed for time. I put a deposit on Estancia a few years ago and pulled out when we had the 2008 meltdown, since I was spread a bit thin on the RE holdings. If it is the same one ( I don't if they have more than one project) near Crescent engrg college (?), I have heard that the workmanship is good from some who bought there. I drove by there and got a "middle class flats" vibe from the outside. That cuts into equity buildup potential, IMO. The increasing prices is narrowing the gap now, not to mention the abysmally low rents compared to the prices. If you scout enough, you could probably get in on the ground floor and still come out fine in a few years, but the dynamic has definitely changed. I bought in 2005 and 2006 and did well when I sold them., Right now, I am looking at reinvestment for capital gains purposes. BTW, I was told Sobha is a good builder and are just launching in Chennai. I haven't checked their numbers yet. I will be in India in a couple of weeks. Will post with additional info if anything interesting develops.

Yeah,

I hear you about the middle class feel of the apartments. My wife felt the same. Any idea where "Sobha" is building ? I am also looking at places like purvankara swan lake and Isha homes for their Villas, what is the dirt on the investment values of 'Villas" ?

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 am

Mr. T wrote:
Kris wrote:

Yeah,

I hear you about the middle class feel of the apartments. My wife felt the same. Any idea where "Sobha" is building ? I am also looking at places like purvankara swan lake and Isha homes for their Villas, what is the dirt on the investment values of 'Villas" ?

>>>On Sobha, I think the time frame maybe late 2013/early 2014. My brother bought one of their banagalore properties a few years ago. On the villas, the one I took a brief look at is by Lancor. I was told that it will take a awhile fr the location to catch on in terms of rents etc. So if you can afford to hold it for a long term, the apprecition potential is supposed to be great. Will post more, I can't remember where those villas were now.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down