Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle'

+10
Kayalvizhi
b_A
confuzzled dude
Propagandhi711
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
goodcitizn
Idéfix
Hellsangel
Vakavaka Pakapaka
14 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle' - Page 10 Empty Re: Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle'

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Since India has the largest number of illiterates in the world of which almost half are in the 6 hindi-belt states, would it not make sense to teach them to read and write any language so they improve their own economic status as well as share in the nation's fiscal burden proportionately?
That is exactly what Rashmun and the people he quotes do NOT want. They want those millions of Hindians to remain illiterate. They would rather spend the money on their pet ideologies than on getting the most bang from the government buck -- which would be from teaching an illiterate to read and write.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle' - Page 10 Empty Re: Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle'

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Since India has the largest number of illiterates in the world of which almost half are in the 6 hindi-belt states, would it not make sense to teach them to read and write any language so they improve their own economic process and share in the nation's fiscal burden proportionately?

would it upset you if Tamil were to become extinct as a language in future? (In other words if it becomes another sanskrit). As english continues to spread in India i believe this may well happen at some point of time in the future.

Irrelevant response!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:16 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Since India has the largest number of illiterates in the world of which almost half are in the 6 hindi-belt states, would it not make sense to teach them to read and write any language so they improve their own economic process and share in the nation's fiscal burden proportionately?

would it upset you if Tamil were to become extinct as a language in future? (In other words if it becomes another sanskrit). As english continues to spread in India i believe this may well happen at some point of time in the future.

Irrelevant response!

That was a question, not a response.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 pm

panini press wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Since India has the largest number of illiterates in the world of which almost half are in the 6 hindi-belt states, would it not make sense to teach them to read and write any language so they improve their own economic status as well as share in the nation's fiscal burden proportionately?
That is exactly what Rashmun and the people he quotes do NOT want. They want those millions of Hindians to remain illiterate. They would rather spend the money on their pet ideologies than on getting the most bang from the government buck -- which would be from teaching an illiterate to read and write.

at some point of time in the future, illiterates may have to be taught written english rather than written telugu or written hindi to get the most bang for the buck.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Irrelevant response!

That was a question, not a response.

Irrelevant nevertheless.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

at some point of time in the future, illiterates may have to be taught written english rather than written telugu or written hindi to get the most bang for the buck.

have you had any experience in education? do you have any notion of teaching basic language? have you ever interacted with an illiterate person? the things you say make me doubt whether you have even come across a person who is illiterate.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

That point of time in the future has not come, and may not come. Stop dreaming about distant future, and focus on the immediate problem of millions of illiterate Hindians!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm

panini press wrote:

Amen to that. These folks want only the southern states to become hindi literate!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:23 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

have you had any experience in education? do you have any notion of teaching basic language? have you ever interacted with an illiterate person? the things you say make me doubt whether you have even come across a person who is illiterate.
Yeah, this is more than the usual extent of Rashmun-dense.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

i had servants in my home who were illiterate. one of the brightest people i have ever known was an illiterate servant who used to work for us. I am sure this guy would get more out of learning written english than written hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:

yes it will upset me and it should upset you too. whenever a language disappears, part of the human experience and culture disappears.

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/culture/themes/endangered-languages/faq-on-endangered-languages/

i know the reason for your post is to taunt and that's idiotic, but i took your question seriously and answered it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

That point of time in the future has not come, and may not come. Stop dreaming about distant future, and focus on the immediate problem of millions of illiterate Hindians!

i care equally for the millions of UPites and also the millions of Gultis. My country comes first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

yes it will upset me and it should upset you too. whenever a language disappears, part of the human experience and culture disappears.

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/culture/themes/endangered-languages/faq-on-endangered-languages/

i know the reason for your post is to taunt and that's idiotic, but i took your question seriously and answered it.

how is it taunting? I clarified in an earlier post that Hindi may also become extinct. thanks for your answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:i care equally for the millions of UPites and also the millions of Gultis. My country comes first.
No it doesn't. If it did, you wouldn't waste your time on non-issues like Telugus who want to learn Hindi being able to do so -- they already can. You don't care about your country, that is why you want to waste scarce taxpayer resources on corrupt organizations, while millions of Hindians languish in illiteracy. What have those illiterate Hindians done to make you hate them so?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Rashmun wrote:i had servants in my home who were illiterate.
Aha, that explains it. If those millions of Hindians got out of illiteracy, the "servant" pool would be reduced, and you would have to pay more for domestic help. Is that why you don't want those Hindians to become literate? Is that why you keep coming up with crazy arguments to divert funds away from making them literate, to be wasted on other things?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:34 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:i care equally for the millions of UPites and also the millions of Gultis. My country comes first.
No it doesn't. If it did, you wouldn't waste your time on non-issues like Telugus who want to learn Hindi being able to do so -- they already can. You don't care about your country, that is why you want to waste scarce taxpayer resources on corrupt organizations, while millions of Hindians languish in illiteracy. What have those illiterate Hindians done to make you hate them so?

Justices Malimath, Sathasivam, and Katju believe that it is a good thing for south indians to learn some hindi. i think there is some merit in the argument that every nation must have some link language. english is the link language of the future but the only language that can conceivably work as a link language for the present and the near future is hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:36 pm

panini press wrote:
Aha, that explains it. If those millions of Hindians got out of illiteracy, the "servant" pool would be reduced, and you would have to pay more for domestic help. Is that why you don't want those Hindians to become literate? Is that why you keep coming up with crazy arguments to divert funds away from making them literate, to be wasted on other things?

There were also educated people who were working as servants for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:39 pm

ok you win. people who are impervious to coffee or logic always do.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ok you win. people who are impervious to coffee or logic always do.

let us not get too agitated if we have different perspectives on the same issue. for one thing it is possible that our views may converge in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ok you win. people who are impervious to coffee or logic always do.
LOL. I am tempted to make that my signature line.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Talking about imperviousness to logic!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Are you mad because i proved you wrong?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Rashmun wrote:I am sure this guy would get more out of learning written english than written hindi.
Marie Antoinette was right when she said, "let them eat cake." Those poor people would have gotten more out of eating cake than a crusty baguette. She put her country first when she said that!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:49 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:I am sure this guy would get more out of learning written english than written hindi.
Marie Antoinette was right when she said, "let them eat cake." Those poor people would have gotten more out of eating cake than a crusty baguette. She put her country first when she said that!

On a different note, cake flour was actually cheaper in those days. Poor Marie. She got a bad rep.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:50 pm

panini press wrote:

english may be a 'cake' as of today but there will come a time when it will become commonly accessible. when that happens telugu may become extinct (become another sanskrit). hindi too.
would it be ok with you if telugu were to become extinct some day?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Your logical skills are matched only by your ability to read other people's emotions.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

english may be a 'cake' as of today but there will come a time when it will become commonly accessible. when that happens telugu may become extinct (become another sanskrit). hindi too.
Master Rashmun, it is possible that there will come a time when human beings may become extinct (become another dodo). Chimpanzees too.
Would it be ok with you if human beings were to become extinct some day?

PS: Don't waste your time on such distractions. Spend it wisely. Focus on the reflection you need to do about the millions of illiterate Hindians.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Aha, that explains it. If those millions of Hindians got out of illiteracy, the "servant" pool would be reduced, and you would have to pay more for domestic help. Is that why you don't want those Hindians to become literate? Is that why you keep coming up with crazy arguments to divert funds away from making them literate, to be wasted on other things?

Your logical skills are matched only by your ability to read other people's emotions.

Do you agree that i proved your hypothesis wrong when i stated that educated people were also working for us as servants?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:56 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Master Rashmun, it is possible that there will come a time when human beings may become extinct (become another dodo). Chimpanzees too.

PS: Don't waste your time on such distractions. Spend it wisely. Focus on the reflection you need to do about the millions of illiterate Hindians.

Master Mudboy, there will come a time when the sun will run out of hydrogen and then it will expand and become a Red Giant, burn up the earth, then contract and become a white dwarf and then a blackhole. Humans to survive will have to leave Earth probably on space ships like we see on star trek.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Do you agree that i proved your hypothesis wrong when i stated that educated people were also working for us as servants?
I don't. The fact that educated people also worked as "servants" does not prove or disprove the hypothesis; it is a non sequitur.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Master Mudboy, there will come a time when the sun will run out of hydrogen and then it will expand and become a Red Giant, burn up the earth, then contract and become a white dwarf and then a blackhole. Humans to survive will have to leave Earth probably on space ships like we see on star trek.
It is sad how you would rather talk about anything else -- other than the millions of illiterate Hindians! Just so you can have cheap "servants" in future.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

I don't think he cares. If I were a Bihari and realized that my state has an unemployment rate of nearly 10% as compared to 3.8% for all of India, and if my state's literacy rate is at a pathetic 63.8% compared to 74% overall for India, I'd be ashamed to see the small educational budget of the country (4.1% of GDP) further whittled down to set up prachar sabhas to educate southern indians who are doing significantly better in employment, literacy and fiscal strength, and not towards improving my own state's literacy.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:02 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Marie Antoinette was right when she said, "let them eat cake." Those poor people would have gotten more out of eating cake than a crusty baguette. She put her country first when she said that!

It is sad how you would rather talk about anything else -- other than the millions of illiterate Hindians! Just so you can have cheap "servants" in future.

in the future there will be robots to help you and not servants.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

I don't think he cares. If I were a Bihari and realized that my state has an unemployment rate of nearly 10% as compared to 3.8% for all of India, and if my state's literacy rate is at a pathetic 63.8% compared to 74% overall for India, I'd be ashamed to see the small educational budget of the country (4.1% of GDP) further whittled down to set up prachar sabhas to educate southern indians who are doing significantly better in employment, literacy and fiscal strength, and not towards improving my own state's literacy.
What's worse, that sabha is mired in corruption and is under multiple CBI investigations. And it teaches southern Indians bad English. If the Sabha wants to teach bad English, at least it could follow the Rashmun Formula and make illiterate Hindians learn bad English!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:04 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

since the Biharis are not complaining about the prachar sabha why don't you let the people in south india take full advantage of the sabha and learn another language?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

And until that happens, you want to keep millions of your fellow Hindians illiterate so you can afford to have them as "servants." You really do care about your country, eh!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Master Rashmun, it is possible that there will come a time when human beings may become extinct (become another dodo). Chimpanzees too.

And until that happens, you want to keep millions of your fellow Hindians illiterate so you can afford to have them as "servants." You really do care about your country, eh!

as explained earlier even educated people were working as servants for us. There was a guy who used to mop the floors and do other such work who told me he had completed his MA (from some small university).

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Rashmun wrote:since the Biharis are not complaining about the prachar sabha why don't you let the people in south india take full advantage of the sabha and learn another language?
I thought all those newspaper stories you were posting were indeed saying that the southerners were indeed taking full advantage of opportunities to learn another language. The biggest problem with the DBHPS is corruption and ties with anti-social elements, for which it is under multiple CBI investigations. But you are very tolerant of corruption, either at DBHPS or in other government institutions. So don't worry yourself about this. Worry about the millions of Hindians who are illiterate.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

as explained earlier even educated people were working as servants for us. There was a guy who used to mop the floors and do other such work who told me he had completed his MA (from some small university).
As explained earlier, that does not prove or disprove what I am talking about. You want to keep the illiterate Hindians illiterate so you can afford to have them as "servants." You care more about having "servants" than about your country. At least have the courage to admit that.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:It is sad how you would rather talk about anything else -- other than the millions of illiterate Hindians! Just so you can have cheap "servants" in future.

As explained earlier, that does not prove or disprove what I am talking about. You want to keep the illiterate Hindians illiterate so you can afford to have them as "servants." You care more about having "servants" than about your country. At least have the courage to admit that.

As explained earlier even educated people were working as servants and doing manual labour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Rashmun, it looks like you prefer the term Bimari to refer to Hindi, than the term Hindian to refer to native Hindi speakers. I infer this from your muted response to my guruvu-gaaru on the thread where he used the word Bimari to refer to Hindi: https://such.forumotion.com/t9977-bhaiyyas-or-kv-s-friends#76048

So, would you prefer it if native Hindi speakers are referred to as Bimarians instead of Hindians? Please let me know. Thanks.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

As explained earlier even educated people were working as servants and doing manual labour.
ok you win. people who are impervious to coffee or logic always do.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:16 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:since the Biharis are not complaining about the prachar sabha why don't you let the people in south india take full advantage of the sabha and learn another language?
I thought all those newspaper stories you were posting were indeed saying that the southerners were indeed taking full advantage of opportunities to learn another language. The biggest problem with the DBHPS is corruption and ties with anti-social elements, for which it is under multiple CBI investigations. But you are very tolerant of corruption, either at DBHPS or in other government institutions. So don't worry yourself about this. Worry about the millions of Hindians who are illiterate.

corruption is present everywhere in India and in the world. Corrupt people should naturally be given appropriate punishment. Justice Malimath, President of the DBHPS, is however known to be a man of great integrity and character. Nobody has thrown any mud at him so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm

panini press wrote:Rashmun, it looks like you prefer the term Bimari to refer to Hindi, than the term Hindian to refer to native Hindi speakers. I infer this from your muted response to my guruvu-gaaru on the thread where he used the word Bimari to refer to Hindi: https://such.forumotion.com/t9977-bhaiyyas-or-kv-s-friends#76048

So, would you prefer it if native Hindi speakers are referred to as Bimarians instead of Hindians? Please let me know. Thanks.

In my opinion a patriotic person would think of ways in which to make the Bimaru states Sukharu. An unpatriotic person will keep taking digs at the Bimaru states.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Rashman reminds me of the Jehovah's witnesses.

They go door to door every Saturday with their beliefs because they must.

You politely take their literature and smile and say thank you and toss it in the recycling because you must.

Last edited by Hellsangel on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

corruption is present everywhere in India and in the world. Corrupt people should naturally be given appropriate punishment. Justice Malimath, President of the DBHPS, is however known to be a man of great integrity and character. Nobody has thrown any mud at him so far.
Right.... corruption is not a big deal, and you are quite tolerant of it. So, there is no problem AT ALL with Hindi in the south from your perspective. People who want to learn it are learning it, at school or through the corrupt DBHPS. Then, why are you spending all your time on what is a non-problem? Spend it on a real problem: millions of illiterate Hindians right in your backyard (and your own home!)
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Rashman reminds me of the Jehovah's witnesses.

They go door to door every Saturday because they must.

You politely take their literature and smile and say thank you and toss it in the recycyling because you must.

Till date Hellsangel has been unable to contribute anything significant either in this forum or on sulekha. If he stops posting completely nobody would miss him except perhaps his boss Charvaka.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Rashmun, it looks like you prefer the term Bimari to refer to Hindi, than the term Hindian to refer to native Hindi speakers. I infer this from your muted response to my guruvu-gaaru on the thread where he used the word Bimari to refer to Hindi: https://such.forumotion.com/t9977-bhaiyyas-or-kv-s-friends#76048

In my opinion a patriotic person would think of ways in which to make the Bimaru states Sukharu. An unpatriotic person will keep taking digs at the Bimaru states.
Are you calling my guruvu-gaaru unpatriotic? If so, feel free to tell him that. You still haven't answered my question though. Do you prefer the terms Bimari-Bimarian over Hindi-Hindian? I want to consider your sensibilities in how I refer to people, hence the question.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:24 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Right.... corruption is not a big deal, and you are quite tolerant of it. So, there is no problem AT ALL with Hindi in the south from your perspective. People who want to learn it are learning it, at school or through the corrupt DBHPS. Then, why are you spending all your time on what is a non-problem? Spend it on a real problem: millions of illiterate Hindians right in your backyard (and your own home!)

Things are getting better in UP from the point of view of education. Even servants doing manual labour have a BA or even MA these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:

BTW, one way to make the Bimaru states sukharu is to make the millions of illiterate Hindians who live there literate. If you were a patriotic person, you would spend time focusing on that problem, instead of obsessing about non-problems in the south, na?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next