Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OCI

3 posters

Go down

OCI Empty OCI

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Kids have PIO. I recently applied for my own OCI. Someone told me he will apply for his kids' PIO-OCI conversion along with his own OCI. I asked why, he didn't have a particular answer. Mumbled something about land ownership.

I was like, let them use PIO for next 15 years and then do whatever when that ends. They will be adults by then. Basically was upto *here* with 5 dozen documents.

All reasonings apart, realized I could have done the same, if I was told so earlier. Didn't strike me then. What did I/they lose? I really don't have much patience to do a PIO-to-OCI for them within one year.

Back to top Go down

OCI Empty Re: OCI

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:57 pm

ask impy. she has ADD.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Google helps

http://www.investmentyogi.com/nri/difference-between-pio-and-oci-card.aspx
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Kids have PIO. I recently applied for my own OCI. Someone told me he will apply for his kids' PIO-OCI conversion along with his own OCI. I asked why, he didn't have a particular answer. Mumbled something about land ownership.

I was like, let them use PIO for next 15 years and then do whatever when that ends. They will be adults by then. Basically was upto *here* with 5 dozen documents.

All reasonings apart, realized I could have done the same, if I was told so earlier. Didn't strike me then. What did I/they lose? I really don't have much patience to do a PIO-to-OCI for them within one year.

PIO - can stay upto 6 months. Then keep reporting to the police every 6 months.

OCI - practically life time. Get it and forget it. Like GC for India with no condition that you should stay/live/visit etc. It is just there for the life the kids. If Draft comes in US, they can live/work in INdia and get Indian citizenship after 1 year of living there.

Better to get OCI, bcz the Govt. may change their law in future, and in cases of divorce, it may become harder to get needed documents from the Ex.

So all in all GET OCI

P.S. Land BS is same for both with OCI giving a better edge. But if you own land and live in US, someone is going to swallow your land anyway.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum