Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flax seed

+2
doofus_maximus
.|Sublime|.
6 posters

Go down

Flax seed Empty Flax seed

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:15 am

Does anyone have any tried and tested vegetarian (preferably eggless) recipes using flax seed meal?

I found recipes for bread, pudding, muffins etc but they require 4 to 5 eggs. I am not sure I want something that eggy.
It would be nice to try out indian recipes as well.

Also, ideas welcome on how to incorporate flax meal in the diet.

Thanks

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Flax seed Empty Re: Flax seed

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:25 am

we put flax in the atta that we knead for rotis..rotis come out soft too.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:02 am

doofus_maximus wrote:we put flax in the atta that we knead for rotis..rotis come out soft too.

We? WE?? Really?? Doofy, we know who makes the rotis at your place. The singular is good enough, unless of course, you are the queen.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:53 am

doofus_maximus wrote:we put flax in the atta that we knead for rotis..rotis come out soft too.

do you use milled flaxseeds or whole?

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 am

subbi, these are what are also called sunflower seeds? if yes, i take them with salad everrrryyyday. i've never used it in cooking. interesting. gotto watch this space.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:27 am

Impedimenta wrote:subbi, these are what are also called sunflower seeds? if yes, i take them with salad everrrryyyday. i've never used it in cooking. interesting. gotto watch this space.

no. they are not sunflower seeds.

Flax seed Flax-seed

to get the full benefit of flaxseeds, you have to use it in powder form. whole seeds go right through the system.

English Name: Flax Seed
Botanical Name: Linum usitatissimum
Common Indian Name: Linseed
Flaxseed is "Ali Virai" in Tamil, "Agashi" in Kannada, "Alsi" in Hindi, "Avisalu" or "Avise Ginjalu" in Telugu

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:28 am

hmm. just found this piece of information.

http://blog.gorgeouskarma.com/naturalhealth/turn-back-the-biological-clock-with-flax-seeds-and-flax-oil/ wrote:
But, never use it in cake batter, roti/tortilla dough etc because flax loses its nutritional value when exposed to heat (when making rotis over heat).

but I have seen recipes that use flaxseed for baking. i am not sure what they mean by exposed to heat.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:subbi, these are what are also called sunflower seeds? if yes, i take them with salad everrrryyyday. i've never used it in cooking. interesting. gotto watch this space.

no. they are not sunflower seeds.

Flax seed Flax-seed

to get the full benefit of flaxseeds, you have to use it in powder form. whole seeds go right through the system.

English Name: Flax Seed
Botanical Name: Linum usitatissimum
Common Indian Name: Linseed
Flaxseed is "Ali Virai" in Tamil, "Agashi" in Kannada, "Alsi" in Hindi, "Avisalu" or "Avise Ginjalu" in Telugu

hmmm..if it is desired in a powder form, then why maybe we can add it to homemade soup? i trying to make soups at home a lot these days....will it alter the taste, i wonder.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:07 am

Impedimenta wrote:hmmm..if it is desired in a powder form, then why maybe we can add it to homemade soup? i trying to make soups at home a lot these days....will it alter the taste, i wonder.

add it as a garnish. from what i have read it will turn the soup gummy if you let it sit.
it is supposed to have a nutty taste. am looking for tried and tested recipes to try out this weekend.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:22 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:

hmm. just found this piece of information.

http://blog.gorgeouskarma.com/naturalhealth/turn-back-the-biological-clock-with-flax-seeds-and-flax-oil/ wrote:
But, never use it in cake batter, roti/tortilla dough etc because flax loses its nutritional value when exposed to heat (when making rotis over heat).

but I have seen recipes that use flaxseed for baking. i am not sure what they mean by exposed to heat.

so we are missing out on all the unsaturated fats in flax seed by using it in rotis..eh.. it has tons of fiber too..so it is still good for cholesterol.

may be it can be added to stuff after they are cooked and done with to retain all unsaturated fats (good fats)..

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:04 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:Does anyone have any tried and tested vegetarian (preferably eggless) recipes using flax seed meal?

I found recipes for bread, pudding, muffins etc but they require 4 to 5 eggs. I am not sure I want something that eggy.
It would be nice to try out indian recipes as well.

Also, ideas welcome on how to incorporate flax meal in the diet.

Thanks

Add a spoonful of flaxseed meal into (steel-cut oats)porridge just before eating it.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:16 am

I tried putting flax seed meal while mixing the dough for roti and they came out good and tasty. Not sure whether it is because of flax or my improved roti making with new gas cooktop:)

FH:)

Last edited by FluteHolder on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:13 am

FluteHolder wrote:I tried putting flax seed meal while mixing the dough for roti and they came out good and tasty. Not sure whether it is because of flax or my improved roti making with new gas cooktop:)

FH:)

lets just say it was the flax and your improved roti making skills Smile
but did you read the link I had posted - flax loses its nutritional value on heating.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:17 am

blabberwock wrote:
Add a spoonful of flaxseed meal into (steel-cut oats)porridge just before eating it.

will try that. thanks.
i found a couple of recipes - will try this weekend and update.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Mom-in-law's recipe:

Fry the flax seeds on low heat. When they are almost done, add some cumin. Cool them. Grind them along with salt and red chilli powder. Can also add jaggery. It's optional.

This powder goes well with chapatis and rotis. Also goes well with rice and ghee or with curd rice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:19 pm

people living on the edgy edge with eggless recipes and eating healthy with omega-3 oils and whatnot.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 am

@kinnera - thanks for the idea. I had some curry leaf powder,so I roasted flax seeds along with some garlic and cumin seeds and mixed it with the powder. It gave the powder a nice nutty taste and was good mixed in rice.

I have made a small amount of flax seed powder and have stored it in the fridge.

I did try it on oatmeal also.

I have found a few interesting recipes. Will post if anyone is interested.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:26 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
I have found a few interesting recipes. Will post if anyone is interested.

Please do.

Have you checked out "chia seeds", the latest superfood?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down