Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lay-miz

3 posters

Go down

lay-miz Empty lay-miz

Post by bw Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:48 pm

observations:

1. age - ranged from 8 to 70 - men, women and children. i couldn't quite see everyone since the seats were quite high and i didn't want to appear too weird, peering at people.

2. crowd behaviour - mostly quiet except for the occasional crunching of popcorn, laughter at the right places (there is some bawdy comic relief) and yes, a few bathroom trips (it is 158 minutes after all).

3. applause - none - most people waited for the credits to roll but we left early since it was way past dinner time

based on the above key criteria, it ranks worse than 'titanic' and 'silver linings fluffbook'. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

my review: it was a very well made movie and despite being 158 minutes long, it kept me totally absorbed. i am not a big fan of musicals but for this story, the music and the lyrics in particular, made it a very stirring experience. i was concerned that that some of the scenes may be a bit disturbing for my 10 year old but he was enraptured by it and proclaimed at the end of the movie: "that was a very good movie".

Last edited by bw on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

lay-miz Empty Re: lay-miz

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:51 pm

i like musicals. this been on my list ever since who, maybe atcg, wrote about it. but looking at my current lazy trend, guess this will also have to come from netflix.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:i like musicals. this been on my list ever since who, maybe atcg, wrote about it. but looking at my current lazy trend, guess this will also have to come from netflix.

i recommend watching it on the big screen - take your daughter too. it maybe a bit too mature/disturbing for your son though.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:19 pm

But along with reports of spontaneous applause, there have also been
tales of sobbing and wailing, of audiences brought low, then tipped
right into despair. A video has been circulating
of a Long Island family, showing the middle-aged parents crying
uncontrollably on the way home from the film. "I hear the first note, I
start to cry," says the father, George, before noting he has been to
family funerals where he has cried less.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/shortcuts/2013/jan/15/why-les-miserables-provoking-emotion?intcmp=239

alright - i just watched it with a bunch of heartless, feelingless, tastless people.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:32 pm

I finally see that somebody liked it, I've heard it was horrible. Wink. On serious note it is a very polarizing musical, people either hate or love it. I will stay away.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:33 pm

This is one of my all time favorite books. I watched the Broadway musical (on one of my early dates with my wife). Also watched an older movie musical version made in French. I liked all those versions and am eager to see this one now. Introducing me to Hugo is the only thing I thank Ayn Rand for.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Silk Smitha wrote:I finally see that somebody liked it, I've heard it was horrible. Wink. On serious note it is a very polarizing musical, people either hate or love it. I will stay away.

oh, those snooty east european movie watchers will bash this just coz they feel compelled to bash anything mainstream. ignore them!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum