Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any help?!

+6
Nila
Rekz
Hellsangel
goodcitizn
Idéfix
yogi
10 posters

Go down

Any help?! Empty Any help?!

Post by yogi Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 am

Hi guyz,
I find the posts very thought provoking(mostly) and at times funny and also childish.Thanks to whosoever (i think charvaka) for starting SUCH.
Well,coming to the the point most of you all are NRIs and write-up issues in very fluent english (atleast i find so) and i find it difficult to get the gist at one go(often).I'm into 4th year,B.Tech and i want to speak or write the way you guys do and can anyone suggest me how to develop my vocabulary apart from reading newspapers and watching english channels?
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Any help?! Empty Re: Any help?!

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

My English was not very good in high school, because the only English I was exposed to was in textbooks. My English got better when I got into an environment where English was spoken widely, and the English that was spoken was generally good. I definitely found reading The Hindu quite helpful; attempting to solve the daily cryptic crossword was another big help. If improving your vocabulary is what you are after, I would recommend reading good English fiction. You will pick up new words from every good book you read.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm

panini press wrote:My English was not very good in high school, because the only English I was exposed to was in textbooks. My English got better when I got into an environment where English was spoken widely, and the English that was spoken was generally good. I definitely found reading The Hindu quite helpful; attempting to solve the daily cryptic crossword was another big help. If improving your vocabulary is what you are after, I would recommend reading good English fiction. You will pick up new words from every good book you read.

I think a refresher course in classes held by Propa and JM would also help.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Just spend 10 days with Sasthi.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 pm

auro wrote:Hi guyz,
I find the posts very thought provoking(mostly) and at times funny and also childish.Thanks to whosoever (i think charvaka) for starting SUCH.
Well,coming to the the point most of you all are NRIs and write-up issues in very fluent english (atleast i find so) and i find it difficult to get the gist at one go(often).I'm into 4th year,B.Tech and i want to speak or write the way you guys do and can anyone suggest me how to develop my vocabulary apart from reading newspapers and watching english channels?

Hi Auro,

You are in the right forum.You will learn English with the help of JM n others but most probably u will auntify soon..is that ok? Smile

Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Rekz wrote:You will learn English with the help of JM n others but most probably u will auntify soon..is that ok? Smile
lol!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Just spend 10 days with Sasthi.

Why this Kolaveri Da/Di????

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Sasthi wrote:

No kolaveri. Statement of fact. Auro's English will automatically feel better after 10 days.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Sasthi wrote:

No kolaveri. Statement of fact. Auro's English will automatically feel better after 10 days.

Wow! This is very insulting. I will certainly have to improve my English!

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 pm

@OP

when learning a new language (or trying to better it), the rule of thumb is you start talking in that language and think in that language.

HTH

@ rest of CHers

do not feed the troll

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 am

panini press wrote:My English was not very good in high school, because the only English I was exposed to was in textbooks. My English got better when I got into an environment where English was spoken widely, and the English that was spoken was generally good. I definitely found reading The Hindu quite helpful; attempting to solve the daily cryptic crossword was another big help. If improving your vocabulary is what you are after, I would recommend reading good English fiction. You will pick up new words from every good book you read.
Thanks for the reply.
I read The Hindu regularly but i find it difficult to use the words that appear in Hindu elsewhere like in debates or GDs. And yeah i'll start reading fiction.Mind suggesting any?
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 am

auro wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I read The Hindu regularly but i find it difficult to use the words that appear in Hindu elsewhere like in debates or GDs. And yeah i'll start reading fiction.Mind suggesting any?
Depends on what kinds of fiction you like... most people start with thrillers, like those of Frederick Forsyth, Jeffrey Archer, Dan Brown, etc. I would also recommend sci-fi like Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov, etc.

In my experience, using new words in spoken language -- debates or group discussions -- becomes easier if you first use those words a few times in written language. So make it a habit of not just reading, but also writing. This forum can be a good place to do that. Write about topics that interest you. We even have experts in spelling, grammar, and punctuation on our staff who helpfully correct mistakes.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:20 am

Rekz wrote:

Hi Auro,

You are in the right forum.You will learn English with the help of JM n others but most probably u will auntify soon..is that ok? Smile

Well i don't know who JM is.err auntify!what does that mean?
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 am

I find the posts very thought provoking(mostly) and at times funny and also childish.

i want to speak or write the way you guys do and can anyone suggest me how to develop my vocabulary apart from reading newspapers and watching english channels?

>>>Ok, this is a troll!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 am

Kris wrote:
I find the posts very thought provoking(mostly) and at times funny and also childish.

i want to speak or write the way you guys do and can anyone suggest me how to develop my vocabulary apart from reading newspapers and watching english channels?

>>>Ok, this is a troll!
lol! A little flattery goes a long way around here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:27 am

panini press wrote:
auro wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
Depends on what kinds of fiction you like... most people start with thrillers, like those of Frederick Forsyth, Jeffrey Archer, Dan Brown, etc. I would also recommend sci-fi like Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov, etc.

In my experience, using new words in spoken language -- debates or group discussions -- becomes easier if you first use those words a few times in written language. So make it a habit of not just reading, but also writing. This forum can be a good place to do that. Write about topics that interest you. We even have experts in spelling, grammar, and punctuation on our staff who helpfully correct mistakes.
Thanks for the advice.I'll surely put'em into action.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 am

Kris wrote:

>>>Ok, this is a troll!
this ain't a troll buddy!
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 am

exercise#1:

form ten sentences using the word "perdition" correctly.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:09 am

bw wrote:exercise#1:

form ten sentences using the word "perdition" correctly.
10!let me try
1.those who sin bound to enter perdition
2.no miracle could save him from peridition
3.on a lighter note,if u don't listen to rashmun you will end up in peridition! Razz
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 am

panini press wrote:
auro wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Laughing

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:57 am

take shelter in a syrian christian family and try not to come within a mile and a quarter of a northindian. not only will you be able to write and speak impeccable english (without any accent, i might add), you will also be able to pronounce "different" as "different" and not "dipphhaarraaNNT". what's more, you may even become lion-chested, attractive-kneed and pockmark-free. the only drawback is that you will never learn to use hyphens in a correct manner.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:12 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:take shelter in a syrian christian family and try not to come within a mile and a quarter of a northindian. not only will you be able to write and speak impeccable english (without any accent, i might add), you will also be able to pronounce "different" as "different" and not "dipphhaarraaNNT". what's more, you may even become lion-chested, attractive-kneed and pockmark-free. the only drawback is that you will never learn to use hyphens in a correct manner.
Very Happy @ red-highlighted phrase. lol! @ brown-highlighted phrase. rofl @ blue-highlighted phrase.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Auro,

KannA, laddu thinna aasaiya?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Captain Bhankas wrote:take shelter in a syrian christian family and try not to come within a mile and a quarter of a northindian. not only will you be able to write and speak impeccable english (without any accent, i might add), you will also be able to pronounce "different" as "different" and not "dipphhaarraaNNT". what's more, you may even become lion-chested, attractive-kneed and pockmark-free. the only drawback is that you will never learn to use hyphens in a correct manner.

This is hillarious.

Hey Auro,

Begin with the above quote and without any delay work on your homework.

1. What is the difference between Christian and Syrian Christian family?

2. Why is the existing "1 1/4 mile" gap between NI and SCF?

3. Will you be comfy with your new looks like chicken breasted lol lion breasted, chicken knees (I find chicken knees attractive) ?

4. What is pockmark-free?

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 pm

what the hell are you talking macha?you're not bhankas but Jackass!!
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:15 pm

Impedimenta wrote:Auro,

No thanks macha!But yeah i'll ask you when i feel hungry.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 pm

Impedimenta wrote:Auro,

LOL
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down