Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Afzal guru hanged

+5
truthbetold
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kris
Rishi
nevada
9 posters

Go down

Afzal guru hanged Empty Afzal guru hanged

Post by nevada Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/afzal-guru-hanged/article4396289.ece

Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru was on Friday hanged to death.

Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said Afzal Guru was hanged at 8 am.

President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected the mercy plea of the 2001 Parliament attack convict, clearing the way for his hanging.

“The mercy petition of Afzal Guru was rejected a few days back,” Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Venu Rajamony said on Saturday.

This is the third prominent mercy plea rejected by Mr. Mukherjee after 26/11 convict Ajmal Kasab and Saibanna Ningappa Natikar, who was sentenced to death for murdering his wife and daughter.

Afzal Guru, a Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist was convicted for masterminding an attack on Parliament on December 13, 2001. Five terrorists had opened fire at the Prliament premises. All of them were killed and nine victims, mostly security personnel succumbed to injuries.

Syed Abdul Rehman Geelani and Shaukat Hussain were charged as co-conspirators. A Special POTA court in December 2002 convicted three of the accused in the Parliament attack case of conspiracy to commit terrorism and acts amounting to treason.

Mr. Geelani was acquited by the Supreme Court and Shaukat Hussain was freed in December 2010 after completing his prison term.

In 2004, Supreme Court convicted Guru of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and sentenced him to death.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Afzal guru hanged Empty Re: Afzal guru hanged

Post by Rishi Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Wily Italian woman!

That is it.

The next PM, Rahul Gandhi.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Good news. India is showing some nerve, finally!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 pm

good, finallly!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:24 am

Rishi wrote:Wily Italian woman!

That is it.

that is wht UPA thinks. but elections r still far away. ppl will forget.

May be they will call early elections b4 economy gets worse in 2014

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:28 am

we all know of one person who is drowning his sorrow in merlot.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:43 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rishi wrote:Wily Italian woman!

That is it.

that is wht UPA thinks. but elections r still far away. ppl will forget.

May be they will call early elections b4 economy gets worse in 2014

....Looks like I am not alone in guessing National Elections this year.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:59 am

you, rishi and half of india. but that is not uncommon for most of your predictions.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 am

truthbetold wrote:we all know of one person who is drowning his sorrow in merlot.

Who? Who?? Advani?? Uddhav Thackeray?? Someone else who just lost his one and only election plank??

But seriously, while you Chaddis are busy high-fiving each other on how safe you have made the country by stringing up this guy and patting yourselves on your back for the ferocious response to terrorism, others would do well to read his story in an interview he gave to Vinod Jose in 2006 while on death row. It's truly spine-chilling. It's also an education on what happens in Kashmir and why we are certain to lose that state. This mob-hanging is probably a final nail in that coffin.

I was surprised to see the interview in this morning's Mumbai Mirror. So out of character. But I see that page no longer loads on the web edition. See if you can find it on their epaper version.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
truthbetold wrote:we all know of one person who is drowning his sorrow in merlot.

Who? Who?? Advani?? Uddhav Thackeray?? Someone else who just lost his one and only election plank??

But seriously, while you Chaddis are busy high-fiving each other on how safe you have made the country by stringing up this guy and patting yourselves on your back for the ferocious response to terrorism, others would do well to read his story in an interview he gave to Vinod Jose in 2006 while on death row. It's truly spine-chilling. It's also an education on what happens in Kashmir and why we are certain to lose that state. This mob-hanging is probably a final nail in that coffin.

I was surprised to see the interview in this morning's Mumbai Mirror. So out of character. But I see that page no longer loads on the web edition. See if you can find it on their epaper version.

Only thing I found worthwhile in that story was tabassum's devotion. Rest read like the nonsense peddled by most Muslims around the world, reality of occupation forces and their brutality not withstanding. This douche felt real sad at saddam's execution..that tidbit tells you more about who these ppl are and the distorted reality field they operate inside. Puts remaining half truths and his own propaganda into perspective.

I can't help thinking that somehow Muslims bring out the worst in ppl and they never self reflect. Dunno how they can be global victims of everyone under the sun.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:40 pm

[quote="Merlot Daruwala"][quote="truthbetold"]we all know of one person who is drowning his sorrow in merlot.[/quote
read his story in an interview he gave to Vinod Jose in 2006 while on death row. It's truly spine-chilling. It's also an education on what happens in Kashmir and why we are certain to lose that state. This mob-hanging is probably a final nail in that coffin.
md,
surely we can understand for whom your heart bleeds. We also know what you wish for kashmiri people. You have suspended your cynicism for this afzal guy based on an artical wtitten for a us organization by a guy who declares he saw unfathomable dignity in his face at the first sight.of this guy.
However same heart finds the police lathi charge on slerping women and old men is wholly justifiable because it suits your political persuation.
Is this a bleeding heart or pure political calculation?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

>>>I read the article. If all these issues slipped through in the process, this would have been a travesty of justice. However, for all my cynicism, I think there is another side of to this story that the article is not telling us about. Also, like propa says below, it is also difficult to swallow that muslims are always victims.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:08 pm

I read the article as well. I don't doubt the excesses of the Indian forces in Kashmir. But I don't follow Afzal's story. Is he claiming that he was asked by the STF to help the perpetrators of the attacks? That is hard to believe.

I don't see his hanging as improving security, but I do see it as a logical conclusion of the judicial due process. The process has been followed, all the appeals have been exhausted, and the law has taken its course.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 pm

panini press wrote:I read the article as well. I don't doubt the excesses of the Indian forces in Kashmir. But I don't follow Afzal's story. Is he claiming that he was asked by the STF to help the perpetrators of the attacks? That is hard to believe.

I don't see his hanging as improving security, but I do see it as a logical conclusion of the judicial due process. The process has been followed, all the appeals have been exhausted, and the law has taken its course.

If the kashmiris think the pakistani military will treat them with love, they are welcome to go over the border.

The land has already been split and just that the people have not moved moved into their new land.

By all means...adios.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:36 pm

panini press wrote:I read the article as well. I don't doubt the excesses of the Indian forces in Kashmir. But I don't follow Afzal's story. Is he claiming that he was asked by the STF to help the perpetrators of the attacks? That is hard to believe.

>>> The STF accusation didn't make sense. Its kind of like Mushy blaming some terrorist action ( I forget who now) on the perpetrator having spent time in an Indian prison and therefore, India must have been the place he picked up his ideas. In general, it seems like dissembling is an acceptable strategy in these quarters.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Why make Afzal Guru's hanging so complicated. Anytime, we analyze there are 2 sides for each sub issue - making it all too complex.

When something appears to be too complex keep it simple by focusing on the main objective.

He attacked the parliament - and that was an attack on India - so he should be tried and punished if convicted. He was and he was given the punishment due his crime.

The simple way of looking at the complex problem.

If one were to analyze the potential repercussions, Osama would still be alive. People who should have thought about the repercussions are those who launched Kasab and Afzal, and they themselves.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Why make Afzal Guru's hanging so complicated. Anytime, we analyze there are 2 sides for each sub issue - making it all too complex.

When something appears to be too complex keep it simple by focusing on the main objective.

He attacked the parliament - and that was an attack on India - so he should be tried and punished if convicted. He was and he was given the punishment due his crime.

Unkil, it's not as if you have any choice. The slightest shade of complexity and you'll be hardpressed to understand the problem.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:People who should have thought about the repercussions are those who launched Kasab and Afzal, and they themselves.

Why should a Hafez Syed worry about the repercussions of our lynch-mob mentality? If anything, he stands to benefit from every step we take that distracts the citizenry from the government's failings and alienates a section of the society.

And here's the bottomline: for all the circus around these hangings, we have not been able to even touch the people who planned and funded the 26/11 attacks. In the case of the parliament attack, we don't even know who those people are. Worse still, no insider has ever been fingered by investigators. How on earth did the attackers get those high-security Home Ministry passes that got them entry into the innermost layer of the Parliamentary annex??

Instead of focusing on the failure to identify the conspirators and grab the big fish, you are thrilled silly when some lowly foot solider (who was anyway on a suicide mission) or some marginal figure is strung up. And everyone's busy patting each other on the back on how effectively this will deter future terrorists. This is pure self-delusion, nothing else. But don't let my negativism come in the way of your celebrations. Give your shakha pramukh, TBT, another high-five - the poor man is snowed in and needs all the cheering.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:08 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Why make Afzal Guru's hanging so complicated. Anytime, we analyze there are 2 sides for each sub issue - making it all too complex.

Unkil, it's not as if you have any choice. The slightest shade of complexity and you'll be hardpressed to understand the problem.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:People who should have thought about the repercussions are those who launched Kasab and Afzal, and they themselves.

Why should a Hafez Syed worry about the repercussions of our lynch-mob mentality? If anything, he stands to benefit from every step we take that distracts the citizenry from the government's failings and alienates a section of the society.

So you support Kasab, Afzul and their terrorist activities.

What you are saying - which you never said bcz you NEVER made any meaningful alternatives - is no matter what we should never ever hang any terrorists bcz it will encourage your muslim friends to indulge in rioting, and the hindus should simply put up with all the terrorists.

That pretty much everyone here understood about your real thinking always. And, you rarely condemned any of thes etrrorist acts - only to conveniently disappear for weeks after each time.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:25 pm

I read an interesting story recently. Afzal Guru had a brother, Dr. Abdul Guru, a cardialogist. This Dr. Guru graduated with MBBS from Bangalore, with MS in Lucknow, and trained under Dr. Gopinath (who in 1963 performed the first open heart surgery in India) at AIIMS Delhi. He provided intellectual input to JKLF (Jammu & Kashmir Liberation Front), the outfit that agitated for an independent Kashmir. The story goes that JKLF kidnapped Rubiah Saeed back in 1989/90 (daughter of Mufti Mohammed Saeed, then Home Minister of India) and Dr. Guru offered his good offices to the government and secured her release through "negotiations" with JKLF (and in the process got lot of JKLF guys released from jail). Then came along another Kashmiri terrorist group called Hizbul Mujahedin who advocated that Kashmir should be made part of pakistan. This Dr. Guru with his "Independence for Kashmir" views and the respect he had in the community had become a nuisance to them and so they murdered him in 1993/94. He was barely in his 50's then. Of course, HM circulated a story that it's the police that killed Dr. Guru when he was in bed with a woman who was not his wife.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:01 pm

and whats the story behind his last name - Guru?

guru is essentially hindu, is it not?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Converted , may be. There are Ranas, Chowdris, Rajas among Punjabi/Sindhi muslims too.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:46 pm

indophile wrote:Converted , may be. There are Ranas, Chowdris, Rajas among Punjabi/Sindhi muslims too.

vinaash kaale veepareet buddhi Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down