Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

no more

+5
Idéfix
FluteHolder
Hellsangel
garam_kuta
Impedimenta
9 posters

Go down

no more Empty no more

Post by Impedimenta Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:03 pm

samosas. i decided. that's it. over. kaput. what? ok, who asked you to open my thread? well, its better than the other name calling thread, ok? at least this is self-centered and gluttonish. The buck stops there :-)

so, what did you all give up in 2013?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

no more Empty Re: no more

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Impedimenta wrote:samosas. i decided. that's it. over. kaput. what? ok, who asked you to open my thread? well, its better than the other name calling thread, ok? at least this is self-centered and gluttonish. The buck stops there :-)

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally ? are there any other kinds of threads at all, these days Crying or Very sad

BTW

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm

BTW, did you get a chance to see this in the other thread - i wonder why DM has not responded further; may be he didn't see it as well

IYF….https://such.forumotion.com/t9453-genius-ilayaraja-then-now

Tragically
the man who says @ 33:45 to 34:38 (BELOW) that he’d never do two songs
alike and always refused when directors asked him
to do so (@34:22 to 34:35) In this gives you a tune @at 48:16 thru 48:27-48:40 from the movie Shagird (1967) @ 0:13 to 0:26 (see below)

Last edited by garam_kuta on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 pm

garam_kuta wrote:BTW, did you get a chance to see this in the other thread

Hot dog, are you the new wimpy for Impy?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

please hold the light closer

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:28 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Sorry. You forget that you are a hot dog, not a moth.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

maama.. for you to see better

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:31 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

The ##angrier and ##upset you get, the less you talk in kokkee speak.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

I think you got this right, as it is your er..tongue, shall we say

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

My, my! And you speak more and more in normal speak.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

uh. oh ! boy..there seems to be a whole bunch who delude themselves to be normal

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

uh. oh ! boy..there seems to be a whole bunch who delude themselves to be normal

Wow! A clearly comprehensible full sentence!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Now, i am shocked..well..i wonder how long this will last..

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Pliss not to arrive at any conclusion until all sentences have been fully decoded.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

Now, i am shocked..well..i wonder how long this will last..

Yeah. I don't want to put the hot dog whisperers out of business.

edited to add: I see you changed your original reply.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:03 pm

err? you two, your own room, NOW!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Impedimenta wrote:err? you two, your own room, NOW!
ah..don't worry..this one can't bother us.. No.. Oh..you want to be on your own... OK

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Impedimenta wrote:

I won't be going to Singapore, England, and Xian this year. bah.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 pm

I am going to take an extended working vacation.. I need to know whether I can drive stick shift or be able to in couple of weeks? Never driven in India. Any suggestions/cautions/experiences?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:15 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I am going to take an extended working vacation.. I need to know whether I can drive stick shift or be able to in couple of weeks? Never driven in India. Any suggestions/cautions/experiences?

If you have never driven in India, it is advisable to not try this. I used to drive before moving here, and I drive on every trip home. Driving in India requires a very different mindset from the one you need to have to drive safely here. If you do decide to try it anyway, be prepared to deal with situations like shouting matches with other drivers and arguing with traffic cops. And as you would in the US, be sure to know where all your papers are (registration, license, insurance, smog test aka pollution, etc.) Do not drive using your US license. I keep my US license away the moment I reach India. If you get pulled over, do not be intimidated by the cops, and if you are guilty of a violation, insist on a receipt for the fine you pay on the spot. You may have to pay more if you want a receipt, but all NRIs can afford to pay the full fine and get a receipt.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 pm

If your question is about driving stick-shift somewhere else in the world, like Europe, that should be straight forward. Practice with a stick shift car for a couple of days and you will be set.

Just don't rely on Google Maps in the old towns of Europe -- there are some lanes that are too narrow for a car that Google will try to route you through. My Tomtom GPS was even worse.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 pm

AS PP pointed out, please do not even attempt to drive stick shift in india, esp chennai if you have not done so in the past. the aggravation is simply not worth it. there are several other transport options available to you.

I used to drive stick shift before but now i drive an automatic when i go back home. very comfortable.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:23 pm

PP/Impy,
thanks. I heard in some driver license offices, having an US license would get an Indian DL in a day. Was planning to have the Indian DL as an ID for India travel purposes. Also would like to be a backup driver if driver is not able to. Planning on travel/driving in KL/KA/TN/MH states. It is already an interesting experience in getting info on coverage/service quality with customer service on major wireless broadband providers.
Pocstar:) Hoping next trip should have an automatic at back home too.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 am

FluteHolder wrote:PP/Impy,
thanks. I heard in some driver license offices, having an US license would get an Indian DL in a day. Was planning to have the Indian DL as an ID for India travel purposes. Also would like to be a backup driver if driver is not able to. Planning on travel/driving in KL/KA/TN/MH states. It is already an interesting experience in getting info on coverage/service quality with customer service on major wireless broadband providers.
Pocstar:) Hoping next trip should have an automatic at back home too.
If you do get a license in a day, you may be OK driving in India. Just practice for a few days in parking lots as you have never driven stick-shift. In my experience, it is very easy to find a driver in India, and it doesn't cost much, so you save yourself a lot of bother by doing that. The only reason I drive in India is because I want to retain my ability to drive there for when we move back. My parents have a driver show up whenever they need him, usually with half a day's notice. They don't have to pay him for the month, but just the days he actually shows up. And he has driven them around most of AP. He doesn't like it when I am there, because I make him sit in the passenger seat and do the driving myself. Many car service companies with small fleets are happy to rent out their drivers on an ad hoc basis as well.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 am

FH

In addition to what PP says here, it is extremely easy to go around in chennai by employing a driver on demand. The only advantage that you have with yourself driving is when you want to travel at night, if you are working US hours and have to be at an office during the hours.

other than that, i really enjoyed my stay in chennai this time around and really thinking about moving back:-) i think i am the happiest dancing and near BN and CM.

Also, the places you mention above also offer very similar options for transport, i am sure.

have fun.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 am

Impedimenta wrote:FH

In addition to what PP says here, it is extremely easy to go around in chennai by employing a driver on demand. The only advantage that you have with yourself driving is when you want to travel at night, if you are working US hours and have to be at an office during the hours.

other than that, i really enjoyed my stay in chennai this time around and really thinking about moving back:-) i think i am the happiest dancing and near BN and CM.

Also, the places you mention above also offer very similar options for transport, i am sure.

have fun.

think about the education of your children, etc. it will be difficult for them to adjust to a completely different environment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 am

FluteHolder wrote:I am going to take an extended working vacation.. I need to know whether I can drive stick shift or be able to in couple of weeks? Never driven in India. Any suggestions/cautions/experiences?

you should be fine. in india, you rarely shift the stick once it is slotted firmly into the first.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:04 am

panileni paparao wrote: ... if you are guilty of a violation, insist on a receipt for the fine you pay on the spot. You may have to pay more if you want a receipt, but all NRIs can afford to pay the full fine and get a receipt.

In Mumbai, there is no spot fine. If you follow due process, the cop will confiscate your license and give you a receipt. You then have to turn up at some magistrate's court the next morning to pay the fine, spend a few hours waiting for various parties to turn up and then collect your license.

As you can see, lofty first-worldly behaviors are highly discouraged hereabouts. Process compliance requires not only solid principles but also plenty of spare time and patience.

Those unpatriotic scum of the earth who lack in any of these three will pull a contrite face, slip by a 50-rupee or 100-rupee note (depending on the gravity of the violation) to the cop and move on.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:53 am

If you have not driven stick shift before, it is going to take some practice. I had some trouble adjusting to the difference in indicator / wiper and opening the left hand side for getting into driver's seat instead of going to the right. In Chennai, you can hardly go beyond 20 km speed in peak hours, but in highways you can go faster (100km to 140km). I've driven from Chennai-Kanyakumari, Chennai-kumbakonam, Chennai-Bangalore-Mysore etc.. Driving in cities is the painful part. Otherwise driving in highways you won't feel much different than driving in the US. mostly divided highway with two lanes on both side. avoid night driving though. One thing I miss is taking an exit to go for a coffee break in Dunkin' , but we do have a few good restaurants on the way. Check with the regular drivers on finding out good places to eat.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 am

Maalai vanakkam Selvan!

Kaalangal are certainly changing fast..fast times in Chennai:)

Nalama? Nice to see you.

take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
panileni paparao wrote: ... if you are guilty of a violation, insist on a receipt for the fine you pay on the spot. You may have to pay more if you want a receipt, but all NRIs can afford to pay the full fine and get a receipt.

In Mumbai, there is no spot fine. If you follow due process, the cop will confiscate your license and give you a receipt. You then have to turn up at some magistrate's court the next morning to pay the fine, spend a few hours waiting for various parties to turn up and then collect your license.

As you can see, lofty first-worldly behaviors are highly discouraged hereabouts. Process compliance requires not only solid principles but also plenty of spare time and patience.

Those unpatriotic scum of the earth who lack in any of these three will pull a contrite face, slip by a 50-rupee or 100-rupee note (depending on the gravity of the violation) to the cop and move on.
The Mumbai set up seems like it is designed to prevent citizens from doing the honest thing. Did this change in recent times, and do you know who made the change and why? If there is no spot fine, they should simply send a ticket to your home, and prevent registration renewal on the vehicle until the overdue fines are paid. Confiscating your license on the spot just because you want to do the honest thing is ridiculous. Or do it like the rest of India and charge spot fines, so at least the people who want to discourage petty corruption can do that.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:33 am

panileni paparao wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

The Mumbai set up seems like it is designed to prevent citizens from doing the honest thing. Did this change in recent times, and do you know who made the change and why? If there is no spot fine, they should simply send a ticket to your home, and prevent registration renewal on the vehicle until the overdue fines are paid. Confiscating your license on the spot just because you want to do the honest thing is ridiculous. Or do it like the rest of India and charge spot fines, so at least the people who want to discourage petty corruption can do that.

The spot-fine concept seems to be a new positive development. The Mumbai model is what used to happen in Bangalore also two decades back. Sending tickets to residences is impractical because (a) the residence address on people's license are either fake or untraceable or out of town / state and (b) there is no effective collection mechanism.

That said, everything related to cops in India is designed to encourage corruption.

I applied for my passport renewal in December. My address has changed, so a police verificatiopn was needed. The cops took one month to show up. Then, they demanded documentation far more extensive than what the MEA itself asks for, insisting on also verifying other extraneous personal details like the date of birth, graduation certificate etc, none of which have changed and which were all verified at the time of the passport issual.

I had all my documents with me. Contaminated by lofty first worldly ideas, I foolishly didn't offer any speed money. Six weeks later, despite a signoff from the local police station, my file is still stuck some place deep in the bowels of the Mumbai police bureaucracy (motto: aap ki seva mein).

I'm kicking myself now for attempting this on my own in the first place and not using my employer's reach. And having ventured into it, for playing the game so naively. I'm giving it another week and then I'll have no option but to bring in the big guns.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 am

Better bring in the big guns. I am surprised spot fines are not the norm. They have always been in my home town.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum