Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurology

+2
Idéfix
Petrichor
6 posters

Go down

Futurology Empty Futurology

Post by Petrichor Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 pm

I remember the following items were novelty purchases not so long ago:

0. Gas stove and the cylinder rolled in by a member of caste that had not seen our kitchen before
0.5. Refrigerator, rose milk, cadbury's, popsicles...
1. Black color oldish telephone with a horrible smelling rose fragrance card attached to the mouthpiece as a mask for bad indian oral hygiene, and real live humans at an 'exchange' that asked 'number please'.
2. Black & White television with ghostly images of Indian cricket players and sunday morning depressing films like 'hamsa geethe'.
3. Color television, London Oval victory, Asiad games, Ekaterina Szabo, Blind Melon
4. DOS and tetris

Where do you think we are headed, say, in the next 25 years? What amazing innovative things/gizmos do you expect to see around you?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Futurology Empty Re: Futurology

Post by Idéfix Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 pm

I would love to see flying cars become popular before I die, but I am not sure if it will happen.

I would also like to see widespread adoption of maglev trains and fuel-cell cars. These may not happen either.

In 25 years, we will likely have tiny computing-and-communications devices embedded in our bodies, which do everything that our mobile phones do now, and much, much more. Those embedded devices will be orders of magnitude more powerful than today's top-of-the-line devices, and information will be even more readily available than it is today. You just need to "think" that you want to see something, and your brain will automatically search for it and present it to you through your own eyes and ears without needing to use to any screens or speakers.

In 25 years, I hope space flight will become much more affordable to individuals, like say international air travel was 25 years ago.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Vetti much today, sir?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:I remember the following items were novelty purchases not so long ago:

0. Gas stove and the cylinder rolled in by a member of caste that had not seen our kitchen before

Hmm..

Not that I am surprised or it was not uncommon in some homes (and still may be the norm)..but, the way it was expressed (!) did trigger some thoughts about the past (not so distant past) and the present..how our experiences shape our life.

I hope kitchens can see..well, diversity..adds so much to any place, imo.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:28 pm

I want to see a card or a phone or some kind of device that's mine and knows all about me, my likings, interests. it's my creditcard, library card, clipper card, membership card to all the places i am member of. Such that i don't need to carry anything else when i have that with me. it's my GPS, my bank card my iPod everything that i need.

And i want it to be designed i nsuch a way that if someone else takes it from me, its rendered useless. So everyone knows that and will only use theirs.

This thing should be required to enter office building, access office computers and its my car key.

And it is very easy to carry. like a wrist band. And peopel stop stealing other peoples things bcz the device is useless if its away from its owner.

thats what i want to see in next 25 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm

seven wrote:I want to see a card or a phone or some kind of device that's mine and knows all about me, my likings, interests. it's my creditcard, library card, clipper card, membership card to all the places i am member of. Such that i don't need to carry anything else when i have that with me. it's my GPS, my bank card my iPod everything that i need.

And i want it to be designed i nsuch a way that if someone else takes it from me, its rendered useless. So everyone knows that and will only use theirs.

This thing should be required to enter office building, access office computers and its my car key.

And it is very easy to carry. like a wrist band. And peopel stop stealing other peoples things bcz the device is useless if its away from its owner.

Partly how you can use some bands in water parks as your credit cards and room key in one. The first they did that to me, I didn't realize and put the band around my ankle instead of my wrist like I always used to. Until then it would be mostly to let those people know that you are a valid park rider. But now this was cc and room key. Was fun trying to open doors with my ankle. Or buying a snack with it. Lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 pm

seven wrote:I want to see a card or a phone or some kind of device that's mine and knows all about me, my likings, interests. it's my creditcard, library card, clipper card, membership card to all the places i am member of. Such that i don't need to carry anything else when i have that with me. it's my GPS, my bank card my iPod everything that i need.

And it will be embedded inside your brain. Nobody can steal it.

The whole (rich) world recognizes you based on this device (their own devices talk to your device and exchange business cards from a distance), and you never need to introduce yourself to anyone. You also don't need to remember anyone's name any more. Remembering names will be as useless as remembering phone numbers, highway networks, or multiplication tables.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Hello Babe!

Interesting to see you and others wanting to share more of your personal interests/likes/info..with e-devices! Some of it is inevitable..but, some mystery is good and makes it intriguing, imo..but, to each her own.

This cartoon is amusing and true:

http://wronghands1.wordpress.com/

Hope you are doing well..enjoying spring!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Idéfix wrote:

And it will be embedded inside your brain. Nobody can steal it.

The whole (rich) world recognizes you based on this device (their own devices talk to your device and exchange business cards from a distance), and you never need to introduce yourself to anyone. You also don't need to remember anyone's name any more. Remembering names will be as useless as remembering phone numbers, highway networks, or multiplication tables.

I would like the option to wear it outside and not get in embedded in my brain. I'd also liek it to be pretty. I'll be happy if it can remember my preferences and contacts.

and dont forget we are talking just 25 years. not 50 years!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Maria S wrote:

Hello Babe!

Interesting to see you and others wanting to share more of your personal interests/likes/info..with e-devices! Some of it is inevitable..but, some mystery is good and makes it intriguing, imo..but, to each her own.

This cartoon is amusing and true:

http://wronghands1.wordpress.com/

Hope you are doing well..enjoying spring!

ha ha good one! i'm doing well thank you, maria
thinking of going to pismo beach one of these wknds...i love spring and even though it rained here today, weather is very b'ful

happy spring to you as well!

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

I am looking for a more safer and stable small flying machines with more safety features.

I think current available gadgets related to telecom/internet are more than sufficient or they will make us less active:) But the following one would help a lot if possible.

I was hoping for a cook/kitchen bot(robot) which should be integrated with refrigeration/internet/cooking etc. It should sense our location/distance and plan a meal for one or family based on vegetables in the fridge. It should prepare fresh food/roti/naan/malaikofta/saambar/aaloo paratha/whichever we like by intelligently remembering our previous eating history. Should make good tea and ready to serve as we enter home:) Bcz the more medicine/medical field evolves they will realise the quality of food (fresh) we eat is more important than fighting/researching on diseases if one wants to be/stay healthy.

I think 50% of the above should be possible in may be 20-50 years. But when I read some robotics forum and specific to cutting vegetables it is so much work for robots. Too difficult to educate bots on vegetable texture/force used to cut/cleaning etc etc. But still It will/should be possible. No more eating out?Smile May be restaurant industry will stop this kind of efforts?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:59 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I am looking for a more safer and stable small flying machines with more safety features.

I think current available gadgets related to telecom/internet are more than sufficient or they will make us less active:) But the following one would help a lot if possible.

I was hoping for a cook/kitchen bot(robot) which should be integrated with refrigeration/internet/cooking etc. It should sense our location/distance and plan a meal for one or family based on vegetables in the fridge. It should prepare fresh food/roti/naan/malaikofta/saambar/aaloo paratha/whichever we like by intelligently remembering our previous eating history. Should make good tea and ready to serve as we enter home:) Bcz the more medicine/medical field evolves they will realise the quality of food (fresh) we eat is more important than fighting/researching on diseases if one wants to be/stay healthy.

I think 50% of the above should be possible in may be 20-50 years. But when I read some robotics forum and specific to cutting vegetables it is so much work for robots. Too difficult to educate bots on vegetable texture/force used to cut/cleaning etc etc. But still It will/should be possible. No more eating out?Smile May be restaurant industry will stop this kind of efforts?

Or the restaurants will employ such cook-bots and finally we will have a food chain that serves health food! chef ramsay will be dead by then so its ok. no more hell in kitchen. most celebrity restaurants then will star cook-bots and people will cook only when they feel like it. robots will do the prep and then clean after.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:00 pm

what happened to my text?

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:29 pm

M akka, Seven is babe and i am not? what happened to the love? Mad

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:54 pm

1. Driver-less cars
2. Gesture-based computing a la Minority report
3. Wholesale replacement of primary healthcare by predictive preventative technology-driven models
4. Digitized dead people moving about and interacting digitally with the living

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Already I see auto drving cars from google moon shot...few cars are on the streets test driving.

I need cool kitchen gadgets which self cook and self clean - you just name the dish and ta da ....it's served to you in a restaurant style.

Also mind traveling system. You think of you Mom and you go see her instantly. Think of Hawaii and you are in Hawaii.

I am a little tired and I need coffee to think. Where is my gadget...Coffee? Coffee? Well, I will have to brew myself. Smile

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:34 am

5. I don't expect flying machines and unfettered individualized air transport but it is likely that parallel (to the highways) air ways will be created for unmanned aerial vehicles that would do everything like grocery shopping, deliver packages, monitor remote events (subject to federal restrictions), and do things we are too lazy, unable or unwilling to do.
6. Ubiquitous personal healthcare including urinalysis in the bathroom

I will be super happy with the kitchen robot even if I buy only the lite-version of the robot that is sold only in Indian stores and prepares a limited repertoire of dishes like dal, aloo-gobi, sambar, rasam and veggies. Just program the drone to go fetch the groceries and automatically dock with the kitchen robot and refill the canisters with asafoetida, tamarind, turmeric etc. etc. which in turn is programmed to produce a meal at specified times. I know its a pain a to walk into the kitchen and take the servings in different containers and I hear the Japanese have advanced versions that serve the plate right to the table with their humanoid robots.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum