Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why it is always Newton and Lebinitz?

+3
garam_kuta
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
7 posters

Go down

Why it is always Newton and Lebinitz? Empty Why it is always Newton and Lebinitz?

Post by Rishi Sat May 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Never heard of this guy until today.

He is the real inventor of Calculus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Barrow

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Why it is always Newton and Lebinitz? Empty Re: Why it is always Newton and Lebinitz?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 11, 2013 6:00 pm

The more famous ones eclipse the rest.

It is remarkable that many of these people died in their 40s and 50s and effectively served science for only 20+ years. Besides, most of them - bu today's interpretation - were multi-disciplinary. For example Barrow was a theologian, linguist, and ended up being known for his math.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Why it is always Newton and Lebinitz? Empty Re: Why it is always Newton and Lebinitz?

Post by garam_kuta Sat May 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:The more famous ones eclipse the rest.

It is remarkable that many of these people died in their 40s and 50s and effectively served science for only 20+ years. Besides, most of them - bu today's interpretation - were multi-disciplinary. For example Barrow was a theologian, linguist, and ended up being known for his math.

Newton failed miserably to achieve his goal in Chemistry, having labored many times more in that, than in physics or math.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat May 11, 2013 7:16 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:The more famous ones eclipse the rest.

Newton failed miserably to achieve his goal in Chemistry, having labored many times more in that, than in physics or math.

I am quoting my neighbor who did not go beyond high school. "One cannot be good in everything." But the M.B.B.S doctors from India do not understand that. In desi gatherings, many of them spout their opinions on topics like Economics on which they have no clue.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Rishi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

I am quoting my neighbor who did not go beyond high school. "One cannot be good in everything." But the M.B.B.S doctors from India do not understand that. In desi gatherings, many of them spout their opinions on topics like Economics on which they have no clue.

okiee...what you are saying is totally different. How do you know that all these experts did not spout their opinions on topics they were not well-known? We have Amrtya Sen - an economist spouting on everything. Besides how do you know that those who spout are not experts? You are defining "expert" as one who is recognized as knowledgeable by OTHERS. Besides, by your measure unless one publishes in Journals, he cannot be an "expert" on anything? That will make only 0.0001% expert in any specific field.

MT Sonia Mata, JJ and, heck even the PM should shud up on India-China matters as none of them is a "recognized" expert.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Rishi wrote:Never heard of this guy until today.

He is the real inventor of Calculus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Barrow

madhava pre-dates him.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 pm

rishi,

why this fascination with calculus at this old age?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:rishi,

why this fascination with calculus at this old age?

what a ridiculous question! there is no age limit to learning and pursuing one's interests. i consider myself a perpetual student.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 pm

why this fascination with calculus at this old age
?

I still think like a 20 year old.

Seriously speaking, I stumbled on to a Calculus course on the Internet. The teacher made it fun.

I got curious.

One thing led to another.

What do you want me to do?

Watch Sun TV or the videos of the silly Indian movies?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Rishi wrote:

haha!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Rishi wrote:

?

Seriously speaking, I stumbled on to a Calculus course on the Internet. The teacher made it fun.

I got curious.

Of course not....but you sure can watch "Makkal TV" and read www.tamiltribune.com

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun May 12, 2013 12:03 pm

[quote="Rishi"]

?

I got curious.

>> Excellent idea!

>> I had been meaning to take a refresher in Calc. BTW I went to the MOOC and one problem is there are so many.
and it is not clear which has the best conceptual approach and intuitive explanations.

I had seen some sporadic MIT course Videos earlier, mostly in Physics. MIT OCW had some contents. I would like a course that goes into more explanations especially of the critical topics into the modeling change /Limits/Continuity/Infinite series route into calculus.
Which particular one did you take and how many hours you had to put in every week ?

>> On OCW I had started a while before with MIT's Applied Linear Algebra and it was the best. I got explanations for some initial topics which I never knew! I unfortunately stopped it!

>> I am also looking for good courses in Optimization , more introductory.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun May 12, 2013 12:50 pm

[quote="rawemotions"]
Rishi wrote:

?

I got curious.

>> Excellent idea!

>> I had been meaning to take a refresher in Calc. BTW I went to the MOOC and one problem is there are so many.
and it is not clear which has the best conceptual approach and intuitive explanations.

I had seen some sporadic MIT course Videos earlier, mostly in Physics. MIT OCW had some contents. I would like a course that goes into more explanations especially of the critical topics into the modeling change /Limits/Continuity/Infinite series route into calculus.
Which particular one did you take and how many hours you had to put in every week ?

>> On OCW I had started a while before with MIT's Applied Linear Algebra and it was the best. I got explanations for some initial topics which I never knew! I unfortunately stopped it!

RawEmotions,

I started sampling calculus courses from OCW to everything else. But nothing really sustained my attention. So I gave up.

Then I started watching the Calculus One course in Coursera.org by Professor Jim Fowler at Ohio State University. The video segments were short. He was entertaining. And top of that, the course has on-line practice exercises which test you conceptually on every topic and gave immediate feedback. Plus he had quizzes on each topic Two fake mid-terms, two real mid-terms, one fake final and a real final exam. You get immediate feedback on these on-line exams and you were given three attempts.

The point was to help the student learn, understand and reinforce the concepts.

This really helped me. Having gotten a decent foundation, I not only go back to the coursera website to work out all the practice exercises I have not completed, I also watch the calculus videos of Herb Gross at MIT, Richard Deleware at UMKC, Bill Kiele and Shannon Michaux of University of Colorado.

There is also a website called calculus.org which is really good. There is a website called http://cow.temple.edu/ which has on-line practice problems on different math topics. It also give immediate feedback.

In fact, before I go to work, I do some practice exercises and a video segment.

On weekends also, I watch the videos. And read the text book.

I have printed the tests, hw assignments and their solutions from many different schools.

I am going to work out all of them and compare my answers with the solutions.

I know I have gone crazy.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 12, 2013 1:57 pm

[quote="Rishi"]
rawemotions wrote:
Rishi wrote:

?

I got curious.

>> Excellent idea!

RawEmotions,

I started sampling calculus courses from OCW to everything else. But nothing really sustained my attention. So I gave up.

Then I started watching the Calculus One course in Coursera.org by Professor Jim Fowler at Ohio State University. The video segments were short. He was entertaining. And top of that, the course has on-line practice exercises which test you conceptually on every topic and gave immediate feedback. Plus he had quizzes on each topic Two fake mid-terms, two real mid-terms, one fake final and a real final exam. You get immediate feedback on these on-line exams and you were given three attempts.

The point was to help the student learn, understand and reinforce the concepts.

This really helped me. Having gotten a decent foundation, I not only go back to the coursera website to work out all the practice exercises I have not completed, I also watch the calculus videos of Herb Gross at MIT, Richard Deleware at UMKC, Bill Kiele and Shannon Michaux of University of Colorado.

There is also a website called calculus.org which is really good. There is a website called http://cow.temple.edu/ which has on-line practice problems on different math topics. It also give immediate feedback.

In fact, before I go to work, I do some practice exercises and a video segment.

On weekends also, I watch the videos. And read the text book.

I have printed the tests, hw assignments and their solutions from many different schools.

I am going to work out all of them and compare my answers with the solutions.

I know I have gone crazy

>>>>On the contrary, this may be a way of fending craziness that comes with the monotony of work and the banal day-to-day issues of middle class/ middle age living. Keep the curiosity up. It is bound to keep you sane.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Kris wrote:
>>>>On the contrary, this may be a way of fending craziness that comes with the monotony of work and the banal day-to-day issues of middle class/ middle age living. Keep the curiosity up. It is bound to keep you sane.

Agree...But, I am still too young to get into calculus-class.

Hey... I think I will start a "Brlliant tutorials for the pre-retirement students" wonly in India.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down