Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sabudana vada

+6
Merlot Daruwala
doofus_maximus
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
Nila
Impedimenta
10 posters

Go down

Sabudana vada Empty Sabudana vada

Post by Impedimenta Mon May 20, 2013 10:35 am

OMG, did not know it was a part of maharashtrian cuisine. god bless their souls. what an amazing dish!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Sabudana vada Empty Re: Sabudana vada

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 11:09 am

you should bts (bless their souls) twice. for sambar too. you are welcome. i bless their souls twice too btw: for sambar and tmb.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 am

i am fighting tooth and nail for sambar. sabudana, they can claim and bless their souls:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 11:59 am

In the party (I don't go to too many parties, so maybe I will talk about this one for 1 week or so) I mentioned with my wise-ass-ness how sambhar is not a tn dish. The tamil lady readily agreed. When she also fights tooth and nail about everything SI food. She was like, ' oh ya u r right, is it from Mysore?' I said, 'no from mh. And dosa is from Karnataka'. She goes I dunno about dosa but u r right about sambhar. It's not originally Tamil.

*score*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:In the party (I don't go to too many parties, so maybe I will talk about this one for 1 week or so) I mentioned with my wise-ass-ness how sambhar is not a tn dish. The tamil lady readily agreed. When she also fights tooth and nail about everything SI food. She was like, ' oh ya u r right, is it from Mysore?' I said, 'no from mh. And dosa is from Karnataka'. She goes I dunno about dosa but u r right about sambhar. It's not originally Tamil.

*score*
score:

us: 1
tamilians: 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon May 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Who cares about the roots of the cuisine? I will bless the person who serves me a plate of it without compromising its authenticity and taste.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:In the party (I don't go to too many parties, so maybe I will talk about this one for 1 week or so) I mentioned with my wise-ass-ness how sambhar is not a tn dish. The tamil lady readily agreed. When she also fights tooth and nail about everything SI food. She was like, ' oh ya u r right, is it from Mysore?' I said, 'no from mh. And dosa is from Karnataka'. She goes I dunno about dosa but u r right about sambhar. It's not originally Tamil.

*score*

that's irrelevant. it's like this -- planck was the first guy who thought of energy quanta and you could say he is the father of QM, but the guys who gave it the machinery and made it what it is today are dirac, schrodinger, and heisenberg. so tamilians are the inventors of sambar and dosai in that sense regardless of who thought of it first.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 1:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

*score*

that's irrelevant. it's like this -- planck was the first guy who thought of energy quanta and you could say he is the father of QM, but the guys who gave it the machinery and made it what it is today are dirac, schrodinger, and heisenberg. so tamilians are the inventors of sambar and dosai in that sense regardless of who thought of it first.

i stand by the sambhaji theory.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 1:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

*score*

Shocked profound! *i know you are being sarcastic -- or am i wrong? Shocked *

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm

heisenberg did a great job taking over the crystal meth empire in the american southwest from gustavo fring and his los pollos hermanos

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon May 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:heisenberg did a great job taking over the crystal meth empire in the american southwest from gustavo fring and his los pollos hermanos
Sabudana vada VB9B5
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 20, 2013 10:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that's irrelevant. it's like this -- planck was the first guy who thought of energy quanta and you could say he is the father of QM, but the guys who gave it the machinery and made it what it is today are dirac, schrodinger, and heisenberg. so tamilians are the inventors of sambar and dosai in that sense regardless of who thought of it first.

Nobody has done more for idli, vada and dosa than the restauranteurs from coastal Karnataka. Brand "Udipi" has today come to represent clean, wholesome South Indian food anywhere in the world. There's no Tamilian equivalent*.

*Not counting the Taj Chaat House maama.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon May 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:There's no Tamilian equivalent*.

**and Saravana Bhavan!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that's irrelevant. it's like this -- planck was the first guy who thought of energy quanta and you could say he is the father of QM, but the guys who gave it the machinery and made it what it is today are dirac, schrodinger, and heisenberg. so tamilians are the inventors of sambar and dosai in that sense regardless of who thought of it first.

Nobody has done more for idli, vada and dosa than the restauranteurs from coastal Karnataka. Brand "Udipi" has today come to represent clean, wholesome South Indian food anywhere in the world. There's no Tamilian equivalent*.

We frequented Woodland's chain more actually. Where's that from?

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 21, 2013 12:35 am

i've never tasted this sabudana vada(i). time to search for recipes.

javvarisi vadaam is yummy.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 21, 2013 12:53 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:There's no Tamilian equivalent*.

**and Saravana Bhavan!

Nada...Saravana Bhavan came in the late 80s. But, the first and foremost restaurateur who revolutionized it is Annapoorna of Coimbatore. They had ONLY Lunch and that was like heaven. You had woodlands and dasaprakash and Udupi hotels which were good but they kind of stagnated and others did not copy them. They served tiffin and lunch and supper/dinner etc. In Coimbatore Annapoorna served Lunch only and dinner only. They started an all day "tiffin" only (meaning no sappaadu) restaurant called Gowri Shankar. it was fancy and flashy but the price was the same as that in any road-side dhabha/stalls. quickly they grew and all new hotels had to match them. Soon, the trend spread to other cities. Gowri shankar itself opened several branches all over. Even today, I think they may be in other cities as well. Saravana bhavan has come to Coimbatore as well and it is good. But, the Annapoorna and Gowri shankar are still the bestest.

BTW, the guy who started the Gowrishankar was a mechanical engineer and he decided to get into the family hotel business and started Gowrishankar.

P.S. Dosai; (Wiki) The English food writer Pat Chapman and Lisa Rayner, as well as Indian writer Thangappan Nair, state in their works that dosa originated in Udupi, Karnataa

Bunch of BS. What do a couple of whities and a Keral Nair know about dosai? It is a Tamilan dish and that is that.

Same with Sambhar.

case closed.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 21, 2013 1:05 am

Proof tamili Origin of Sambhar

***********from wiki***
The origins of this dish are uncertain, although legend has that it originated in the kitchen of Thanjavur Marathas ruler Shahuji during the 18th century from the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu.[1] It is believed that Shahji had a liking for a dish called amti which had kokum as one of its main ingredients. In one particular season, the kokum, which was imported from the Maratha homeland, ran out of supply, and someone suggested to him that the locals used tamarind
pulp for sourness. Shahji experimented with the pigeon peas,
vegetables, spices and the tamarind pulp and served his coterie and his
cousin. The court liked the dish and named it sambhar after the guest of the day, Sambhaji, second emperor of the Maratha Empire

Here you go..It was cooked in Thanjavir palace with tamil innovation and served s a dish for sambhaji - the visiting Maratha Emperor. Hence the name Sambhar.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 21, 2013 1:12 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Proof tamili Origin of Sambhar

***********from wiki***
The origins of this dish are uncertain, although legend has that it originated in the kitchen of Thanjavur Marathas ruler Shahuji during the 18th century from the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu.[1] It is believed that Shahji had a liking for a dish called amti which had kokum as one of its main ingredients. In one particular season, the kokum, which was imported from the Maratha homeland, ran out of supply, and someone suggested to him that the locals used tamarind
pulp for sourness. Shahji experimented with the pigeon peas,
vegetables, spices and the tamarind pulp and served his coterie and his
cousin. The court liked the dish and named it sambhar after the guest of the day, Sambhaji, second emperor of the Maratha Empire

Here you go..It was cooked in Thanjavir palace with tamil innovation and served s a dish for sambhaji - the visiting Maratha Emperor. Hence the name Sambhar.

all they did was replace one source of sourness(kokum) with another(tamarind) in an already existing dish, amti, and give it a new name - again all this was done by non-tamilians.

you are on shaky grounds here, uppili.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 21, 2013 1:23 am

bw wrote:[

all they did was replace one source of sourness(kokum) with another(tamarind) in an already existing dish, amti, and give it a new name - again all this was done by non-tamilians.

How do you know? In fact, the marathas being the rulers, they would not have have marathas as cooks. Rather, they would have employed "locals" for all the household chores. This is like saying the American ambassador in India has an American Chef in his house. I bet he employs only locals.

So, all this Sambar was indeed created/invented by Tamilians.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 21, 2013 1:25 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
bw wrote:[

How do you know? In fact, the marathas being the rulers, they would not have have marathas as cooks. Rather, they would have employed "locals" for all the household chores. This is like saying the American ambassador in India has an American Chef in his house. I bet he employs only locals.

So, all this Sambar was indeed created/invented by Tamilians.

the above blurb you posted gives shahuji the credit for the innovation.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 21, 2013 1:33 am

yeah rite....since when did the king HImSELF cook? The credit is given but it does not make Sambar a Marathi dish. The king would not have even added salt to that Sambhar. The Tanjore Big Temple is a dravidian/Tamilian architecture although the credit for building it is given to the Chola King. I bet the King did not even touch a single stone while constructing the temple.

Shhhhhhhhh...Enough. I will have to charge you with Contempt of Court.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 21, 2013 2:57 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:yeah rite....since when did the king HImSELF cook? The credit is given but it does not make Sambar a Marathi dish. The king would not have even added salt to that Sambhar. The Tanjore Big Temple is a dravidian/Tamilian architecture although the credit for building it is given to the Chola King. I bet the King did not even touch a single stone while constructing the temple.

here's a tamilian's take on sambaar.

http://www.zine5.com/archive/pad08.htm

anyway, i don't like sambaar (except for the well made arachu vitta variety of it) and don't really care who came up with this concoction.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 21, 2013 3:35 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

We frequented Woodland's chain more actually. Where's that from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Woodlands_Hotel

"The New Woodlands Hotel is an Udupi-style vegetarian restaurant in Chennai. Established in 1938 by Kadandale Krishna Rao, it is considered to be a pioneer in popularizing Udupi cuisine in the city. Since then, a large number of imitiations and namesake Woodlands hotels have been established in various parts of Chennai."

I shall now make an Uppilian leap and declare that unless proven otherwise, dosas were introduced to Tamilians in the early part of the 20th century by an entrepreneur from Udupi. EOD.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 am

bw wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:yeah rite....since when did the king HImSELF cook? The credit is given but it does not make Sambar a Marathi dish. The king would not have even added salt to that Sambhar. The Tanjore Big Temple is a dravidian/Tamilian architecture although the credit for building it is given to the Chola King. I bet the King did not even touch a single stone while constructing the temple.

anyway, i don't like sambaar (except for the well made arachu vitta variety of it) and don't really care who came up with this concoction.

** I don't like sambaar either. it looks like it takes up too much effort to make one dish, too many ingredients. I love pappu and tomato pappu and rasam and mysore rasam, they beat sambaar any day. and majjiga pulusu, that's a uniquely telugu dish. unfortunately due to this longstanding, everlasting feud over dosai and sambaar no one talks about any telugu dishes.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Tue May 21, 2013 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue May 21, 2013 4:12 am

Impedimenta wrote:OMG, did not know it was a part of maharashtrian cuisine. god bless their souls. what an amazing dish!
** looks like a vada with a bad skin rash. i'm surprised Indians don't use this material to make and sell their version of bubble tea, it'd be fantastic for that.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 am

I am still fighting to keep sambar. Fine.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue May 21, 2013 6:26 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:OMG, did not know it was a part of maharashtrian cuisine. god bless their souls. what an amazing dish!
** looks like a vada with a bad skin rash. i'm surprised Indians don't use this material to make and sell their version of bubble tea, it'd be fantastic for that.

It's like my daughter calls eggplant made the tambrahm way, " fish curry" :-) sabudana vada is really tasty. I love the upma made with sabudana as well. I don't ever know long to soak it in order to get the desired consistency.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 21, 2013 10:47 am

bw wrote:

You are, as of now, disenfranchised as a Southie, a Tamilian, and an Iyerini.... (but then, you are not one strictly speaking.)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down