Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do Rashmun and KV think about this?

5 posters

Go down

What do Rashmun and  KV think about this? Empty What do Rashmun and KV think about this?

Post by Rishi Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:18 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chennai-woman-in-the-drivers-seat-and-in-control-of-their-lives/article4892374.ece

So, why drive an auto when you can take up part-time jobs in offices? “I would like to do that sometime, but I cannot speak English. I barely understand the language because I studied in Tamil medium,” she says.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

What do Rashmun and  KV think about this? Empty Re: What do Rashmun and KV think about this?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Rishi wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chennai-woman-in-the-drivers-seat-and-in-control-of-their-lives/article4892374.ece

So, why drive an auto when you can take up part-time jobs in offices? “I would like to do that sometime, but I cannot speak English. I barely understand the language because I studied in Tamil medium,” she says.

Was watching a TV program where they had college/young guys on one side and parents and teachers on another.

The youth were telling how they are under pressure at school, work and home to speak only in English to make them more saleable. The older generation was almost unanimous in justifying English only policy at home and school.

Was amazed....the Pro-English (only) sentiment in TN (and in South). Hindi would get better support than Tamil in TN as of today (KV does not know anything).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

What do Rashmun and  KV think about this? Empty Re: What do Rashmun and KV think about this?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Rishi wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chennai-woman-in-the-drivers-seat-and-in-control-of-their-lives/article4892374.ece

consider this:

There is a visible cultural dilation on Chennai streets, once famously protective of all things Tamil. Five years ago, Arumugam, a 55-year-old auto driver from Ambattur, would have told you off if you asked him for directions in Hindi. Today, he parks his auto on the bustling North Usman Road and calls out to people: Kahan jaana hai? (Where do you want to go?) "It helps to know basic Hindi — kitna (how much), kam (it's not enough), dur (far), aa jao (come)," says Arumugam. - See more at: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/chennai-says-it-in-hindi/830371/0#sthash.oQSxSRvQ.dpuf

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:

consider this:

There is a visible cultural dilation on Chennai streets, once famously protective of all things Tamil. Five years ago, Arumugam, a 55-year-old auto driver from Ambattur, would have told you off if you asked him for directions in Hindi. Today, he parks his auto on the bustling North Usman Road and calls out to people: Kahan jaana hai? (Where do you want to go?) "It helps to know basic Hindi — kitna (how much), kam (it's not enough), dur (far), aa jao (come)," says Arumugam. - See more at: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/chennai-says-it-in-hindi/830371/0#sthash.oQSxSRvQ.dpuf

Congratulations...your agenda is succeeding....And thanks for accepting that UPites are total idiots and unable to learn ANYTHING, and will live forever with a begging bowl..courtesy Bharat and Southies and Tamilians in particular.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 pm

>>>In the end, the market rules. If English is what is going to get jobs, they will either learn it or get left behind. I am a bit surprised though that she is not conversant in English. Are her B.Com classes not in English? Anyway, that being said, in this specific case, it seems like she has carved out quite a niche for herself with women passengers and children going back and forth to classes. I hope she scales this up and does well.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:44 pm

This woman is blaming her inability to get a job on Tamil. May be people are not hiring her because of her negative attitude. Here are the facts.

English is taught as a subject in schools as well as in B.Com. That's how I learnt English. My medium of instruction was Tamil.

Nobody forced her to study B.Com. in Tamil. There are more B.Com. seats available in English medium than in Tamil medium. May be her school grades are too low to get into English medium B.Com. Thank TN government that there is Tamil medium B.Com. that would admit her.

It is fashionable for some people to blame Tamil for everything. "I do not have a job because my school did not teach Hindi." You can get a diploma in Hindi by mail for a mere Rs. 50 (subsidized heavily by the Indian government).

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:This woman is blaming her inability to get a job on Tamil. May be people are not hiring her because of her negative attitude. Here are the facts.

English is taught as a subject in schools as well as in B.Com. That's how I learnt English. My medium of instruction was Tamil.

Nobody forced her to study B.Com. in Tamil. There are more B.Com. seats available in English medium than in Tamil medium. May be her school grades are too low to get into English medium B.Com. Thank TN government that there is Tamil medium B.Com. that would admit her.

It is fashionable for some people to blame Tamil for everything. "I do not have a job because my school did not teach Hindi." You can get a diploma in Hindi by mail for a mere Rs. 50 (subsidized heavily by the Indian government).

love your english writing style in the above post.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:

This doesn't make much sense, if there are less seats available for Tamil medium, don't you think one needs to have better grades to get in. That besides the point, you guys are unnecessarily being harsh. Look at her background, her father is a auto driver so it's only natural that he passed that skill onto her. She has no idea about office culture probably thinks everyone works in offices is fluent in English. Had her father been [say] a peon in office then she probably would've had a better chance of working there than driving an auto. Shame on you guys for reading too much into that one line.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down