Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BN and CM

3 posters

Go down

BN and CM Empty BN and CM

Post by Impedimenta Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am

REading all the Southern indian responses on the other thread made me feel "left out" :-) So, here is how i felt when i watched the bobby Mcferrin video posted by MAX. The scale on the raagam mohanam is Sa Ri Ga Pa Da Sa. Now for the same absolute notes, shift the scale to make Ga your new Sa. For the same absolute notes the relative scale becomes
Sa ga ma da ni Sa which is Hindolam / Malkauns. Now take Mohanam again and shift the scale to make Da your new Sa. The scale now becomes Sa ga ma Pa ni Sa which is Suddha Dhanyasi. 

I experienced this as a 13 year old while trying to play the harmonium for a Bhajan " Panduranga Hari" in Mohanam accompanying my cousin brother, sister and lead by my mom. Couldn't have asked for a better initiation into the beautiful world of CM. At that time, my mom sent me for CM classes with Smt Rukmini Ramani but my heart was in BN:-) I went anyway because Ashok Ramani was a *ahem* gravitational pull for me and i am glad it paid off because today, i can say with conviction how much this is helping me in choosing songs for my BN recitals.

My mom and sister were the real talent touring TN performing with their bhajan group. I wish i had recorded some of the songs in my mother's voice early one before she was diagnosed with cancer. I do have a video of her singing but that was much after, during her chemo and i still cannot watch the video. My sister stopped singing after she passed on.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

BN and CM Empty Re: BN and CM

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:25 am

Impedimenta wrote:REading all the Southern indian responses on the other thread made me feel "left out" :-) So, here is how i felt when i watched the bobby Mcferrin video posted by MAX. The scale on the raagam mohanam is Sa Ri Ga Pa Da Sa. Now for the same absolute notes, shift the scale to make Ga your new Sa. For the same absolute notes the relative scale becomes
Sa ga ma da ni Sa which is Hindolam / Malkauns. Now take Mohanam again and shift the scale to make Da your new Sa. The scale now becomes Sa ga ma Pa ni Sa which is Suddha Dhanyasi. 

I experienced this as a 13 year old while trying to play the harmonium for a Bhajan " Panduranga Hari" in Mohanam accompanying my cousin brother, sister and lead by my mom. Couldn't have asked for a better initiation into the beautiful world of CM. At that time, my mom sent me for CM classes with Smt Rukmini Ramani but my heart was in BN:-) I went anyway because Ashok Ramani was a *ahem* gravitational pull for me and i am glad it paid off because today, i can say with conviction how much this is helping me in choosing songs for my BN recitals.

My mom and sister were the real talent touring TN performing with their bhajan group. I wish i had recorded some of the songs in my mother's voice early one before she was diagnosed with cancer. I do have a video of her singing but that was much after, during her chemo and i still cannot watch the video. My sister stopped singing after she passed on.

isn't that what is known in the business as graha baedam?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:40 am

your mention of the harmonium is interesting. i had bookmarked this a while ago, but didn't post here because it's too nerdy and technical for casual listeners.

aside: he sang at my parents' wedding when he was still not so well established. he is a musician's musician like ramnad krishnan. he is somehow not as well known. i treasure the few recordings i have of his singing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 am

Impedimenta wrote:I wish i had recorded some of the songs in my mother's voice early one before she was diagnosed with cancer. I do have a video of her singing but that was much after, during her chemo and i still cannot watch the video. My sister stopped singing after she passed on.
That is so sad... we never know when something bad might happen to a loved one, and when it happens it is too late to do all the things you wanted to for preserving their best memories. I had the same situation with my grandfather with cancer. I hope your sister eventually starts singing again.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:56 am

in fact he mentions at around the 24:00, the very same scale shift to produce suddha dhanyasi from mohanam that you mentioned in your first post!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:36 pm

:-) ennaku technicala athu graha baedam ma illaya nu theriyala. I will ask sriram:-) Funnily enough, my cousin bro played the harmonium much more than i did and got really good at it. now, he plays the guitar and rocks! he has a rock solid foundation in CM thanks to all these experiences. i moved over to BN.

anyway, i was able to make this connection in my mind because day in and day out, until we mastered the bhajans, my mom lead the group consistently. The reason that your video triggered this memory is because of the particular bhajan in mohanam, panduranga hari. It was our absolute favorite. incidentally, several of our favorite bhajans were in hindolam and shudha dhanyasi.

ennaku appo antha pakkuvam illa. Solli solli thaan raagam peryellam therinjidhu:-) now, i suddenly get it!

I cannot view youtube videos from work. Will check it out later from home. thanks for posting. This week has been particularly hard for me in dealing with my emotions in a mature way because her anniversary is around the corner. I think i am at a point where my grief is turning over to beautiful memories, a celebration of her life:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:I wish i had recorded some of the songs in my mother's voice early one before she was diagnosed with cancer. I do have a video of her singing but that was much after, during her chemo and i still cannot watch the video. My sister stopped singing after she passed on.
That is so sad... we never know when something bad might happen to a loved one, and when it happens it is too late to do all the things you wanted to for preserving their best memories. I had the same situation with my grandfather with cancer. I hope your sister eventually starts singing again.

Yes, it is. My sister is not as strong as me. She was the "protected" one:-) LOL, but she will do fine. I doubt if she will sing again and i get it. why do you think i took a break from dancing for a few years? it was very hard for me to go up on stage and perform without her in the first row looking at me proudly. I have won so many awards back in chennai and i attribute several of it to her support. now, i am just old:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum