Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jimbo

3 posters

Go down

jimbo Empty jimbo

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:36 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/magazine/jimmy-connors-ladies-man.html?pagewanted=1&ref=global-home
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

jimbo Empty Re: jimbo

Post by nevada Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Connors' career was on it's last legs by the time I started following tennis. Even then, he played some memorable matches winning against opponents 10 or more years younger than him. His epic run at the USO in 1991 is still replayed by the TV stations whenever there is a rain delay at the USO Smile At that time there were some who said that he should just stop playing because he has no chance to win tournaments but I thought his love of playing tennis on the big stage and his tenaciousness were admirable. 
Connors came from a blue collar background but his mom was a tennis coach, so it's not like he was a disadvantaged kid or anything like that. I think it was the invisible but clearly existent class barrier which pissed him off, making him break all conventions in the lily white, country club world of tennis.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/magazine/jimmy-connors-ladies-man.html?pagewanted=1&ref=global-home
You dont get people charged up like Connors, Nastase, McEnroe, while Borg, Gerulaitis, Vilas, and Lendl were Robot like men - with not much emotional outburst. Game meant a bit more than money.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum