Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

easy cliches about religion..

+4
bw
FluteHolder
b_A
MaxEntropy_Man
8 posters

Go down

easy cliches about religion.. Empty easy cliches about religion..

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 pm

... about life, about bharathanattiyam, and a bunch of patels who speaks weird tamil. contrived exoticism irritates me. watched about 30 mins of it on TV and got tired of it. glad i didn't watch this on the big screen.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

easy cliches about religion.. Empty Re: easy cliches about religion..

Post by b_A Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:... about life, about bharathanattiyam, and a bunch of patels who speaks weird tamil. contrived exoticism irritates me. watched about 30 mins of it on TV and got tired of it. glad i didn't watch this on the big screen.
?????

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:31 pm

b_A wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:... about life, about bharathanattiyam, and a bunch of patels who speaks weird tamil. contrived exoticism irritates me. watched about 30 mins of it on TV and got tired of it. glad i didn't watch this on the big screen.
?????
Either Max is too tired after biking or a had more than usual IPA or his favorite drink or he is becoming a seeker of truth Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:40 pm

b_A wrote:
?????
this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454876/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:42 am

you missed the tiger!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:27 am

I don't know...found it easier than reading a book! Also, found the ending question seminal enough to use as my .sig

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Petrichor wrote:I don't know...found it easier than reading a book! Also, found the ending question seminal enough to use as my .sig
i think there's a way to tell this story without interspersing it with toothseeker style "philosophizing".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:53 pm

bw wrote:you missed the tiger!
i did miss richard parker. finally watched tokyo story. it was very difficult to watch. major guilt trips throughout.  i can see why you wouldn't want to watch it with older folks. recently watched a few of the zatoichi movie series. have you watched them?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Petrichor wrote:I don't know...found it easier than reading a book! Also, found the ending question seminal enough to use as my .sig
i think there's a way to tell this story without interspersing it with toothseeker style "philosophizing".
>>>>I didn't read the book, but if there was a story in the movie it escaped me. The photography was awesome, but that was pretty much it. Maybe it was something about Richard Parker engaging the boy to keep his survival skills honed or an attachment to RP that keeps him going.  That is really a stretch, but that's what I could come up with after seeing it.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
>>>>I didn't read the book, but if there was a story in the movie it escaped me. The photography was awesome, but that was pretty much it. Maybe it was something about Richard Parker engaging the boy to keep his survival skills honed or an attachment to RP that keeps him going.  That is really a stretch, but that's what I could come up with after seeing it.
i meant the story in the movie. i didn't know there was also a book.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
i meant the story in the movie. i didn't know there was also a book.
>>>There was a novel. I don't think it would have been of interest to me anyway, since I have been out of fiction for a long time.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm

There is a book, and I read it when it first came out, after a discussion about it on Sulekha & after being asked a couple of questions about India by my mentor who read it. I liked it, and  most people who read it at that time, which seemed like everybody, liked it. Reading the bad reviews, it looks like a lot was lost in translation.

I don't recall exactly what it was about the mother's character that made an impression, but I remember wondering what it would be like to have kids

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:you missed the tiger!
i did miss richard parker. finally watched tokyo story. it was very difficult to watch. major guilt trips throughout.  i can see why you wouldn't want to watch it with older folks. recently watched a few of the zatoichi movie series. have you watched them?
i haven't watched any zatoichi movies. yes, "tokyo story" is rather gut-wrenching. "wild strawberries" is another such movie.

i will watch "the reluctant fundamentalist" today. the other movies that i watched recently are "the conjuring", "the lone ranger" and "thalaiva". "the conjuring" made me flinch just once and my friend who came equipped with a stole to cover her eyes during scary scenes didn't really use it much either. the second one had enough explosions and thrills to excite my son (i like johnny depp) and the last one left me very confused - all the poignant scenes made me laugh and the comedy relief scenes made me want to cry.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down