Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An interesting style

3 posters

Go down

An interesting style Empty An interesting style

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 am

They have kids.

When the kid plays a sport, the parent keenly observes the coach's actions and decisions during the game. They are oversensitive to any slight or perceived favoritism by the coach. They make it a point to bring it up with the coach.

They observe the kids' friends. Their performance, grades. They sit in judgement over the school's actions in selecting someone other than their kid for any accelarated class. They make it a point to question the teachers and compare the kids and ask why their kid was not selected and what makes the other one deserving of the accolades, honors, special treatment etc.

They judge the judges. They are aggressive parents.

Will this style work?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

An interesting style Empty Re: An interesting style

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:02 am

i am familiar with that style and hate it. the parents of one of my kid's friends knows more about my kid's grades than i do. we discuss schoolwork a lot, but i probably check in once or maybe twice a term to see how things are going wrt grades.

my kid is super obsessed with getting good grades in part probably because of this family. i tell her that getting good grades is important, but learning is way more important.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:14 am

They are a walking compendium with dossiers on every kid in the school. They have a very good handle on all the trajectories of kids +/- 3 grades from their kids. The guy is also obsessed with applying this level of scrutiny at work and public affairs. It is an awesome amount of energy that is expended on tracking people around you - it gives an immense amount of power and influence when you are seen to possess this level of keen history on contemporary and relevant events and personalities around you. Almost Rishi-esque but with a much smaller visual range.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 am

>>> There is this desi lady who has a daughter. The kid is smart and hard working. Gets good grades. The mom goes around badmouthing another desi kid in the same age group who is also equally smart and hardworking "Savita is just a plodder. She is not that intelligent like my daughter. My daughter is more qualified to get that scholarship."

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:38 am

Rishi, I think the lady is simply casting an affectionate glance at her own child. She may be slightly delusional but that is not what I am referring to - this is full-blown audit of decisions by authority-figures. Questioning. Double-guessing. Picking holes. Being an attorney for the kid.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down