Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lunch

+5
nevada
Merlot Daruwala
Petrichor
garam_kuta
Impedimenta
9 posters

Go down

Lunch Empty Lunch

Post by Impedimenta Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:52 pm

...yup, at 4. if i am posting, it is about lunch. i had the most delicious dhoklas.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Lunch Empty Re: Lunch

Post by garam_kuta Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Impedimenta wrote:...yup, at 4. if i am posting, it is about lunch. i had the most delicious dhoklas.
who is dhokl ? some unkil ?Razz 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Been a while since I finagled a self-invited gujju dinner...will do, stat.

My brunch was outdoors under a tuscan-style sun, of white toast, buttered and strawberry jammed with coffee and oj.

I am "food insecure" right now. http://www.wnyc.org/story/turning-expired-food-healthy-low-cost-meals/?utm_source=sharedUrl&utm_media=metatag&utm_campaign=sharedUrl

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:11 am

Lunch Dalmasala

+

Lunch 2013-113

+
missi roti (besan and aata half-half) = golden capital bliss!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:24 am

Dal ka masala?? Really? Why would you mess with the pure and simple flavor of a jeera + chilli tadka??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:26 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Dal ka masala?? Really? Why would you mess with the pure and simple flavor of a jeera + chilli tadka??
for a bit of more tadka: cinnamon, ginger, amchur, black salt (used only in indian cooking!). try it sometime. if you like, i can courier you a packet!

edit. ah, found a better reason. since i don't eat rice (with dal) for lunch anymore, i need this extra tadka with rotis. i like the flavour of rice so much that i can eat rice with salt and ghee or mustard oil.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:08 am

Oh ok. I guess if you have it with just roti, it'll need some extra oomph.

I simply can't have dal with anything other than rice. My favorite tadka is mustard seeds + curry leaves + hing in mustard oil. And split green chilis added on top.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:14 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:My favorite tadka is mustard seeds + curry leaves + hing in mustard oil. And split green chilis added on top.
Never tried curry leaves with hing tadka in dal. Will try it now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:06 am

Why the sudden change of handle? I thought the army retired avatar carried a certain weight and gravitas. What is kimam??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:04 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Why the sudden change of handle? I thought the army retired avatar carried a certain weight and gravitas. What is kimam??
kimam! all about kimam, also spelt as qiwam

one of my uncles was fond of it. i still have it on occasions.

i am experimenting with many different avatar names. the army retired avatar, i think, will be back in action post 11 pm when i open my blenders pride tonight. as they say, whisky is a wonderful invention. one double and you start feeling single again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 am

kimam wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Why the sudden change of handle? I thought the army retired avatar carried a certain weight and gravitas. What is kimam??
kimam! all about kimam, also spelt as qiwam

one of my uncles was fond of it. i still have it on occasions.

i am experimenting with many different avatar names. the army retired avatar, i think, will be back in action post 11 pm when i open my blenders pride tonight. as they say, whisky is a wonderful invention. one double and you start feeling single again!
Lol@feeling single again. Hoozay, I hope you're limiting it to just a double each evening. Those pics of empty bottles are not a good sign at all.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:04 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Lol@feeling single again. Hoozay, I hope you're limiting it to just a double each evening. Those pics of empty bottles are not a good sign at all.
yes, i have been limiting myself to a bottle every day for the last 2 months (which is why i open it late). i've also reduced my psych. med. to half in the last 2 weeks (and, guess what, i am feeling younger!). i have to quit alcohol now to get off the psych med. totally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Oh shit!! You said 'double' and I read it as 'bottle.' How embarrassing. Anyways, the truth is out now. I just love getting high on alcohol... thus procrastinating.

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Just had breakfast - idli, peanut chutney and karam podi with olive oil. Thanks to BART strike I am working from home today.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:Oh shit!! You said 'double' and I read it as 'bottle.' How embarrassing. Anyways, the truth is out now. I just love getting high on alcohol... thus procrastinating.
LoL  bhaiya..clearly it's the 'just a..' bottle/double that must have mislead you, triggering the confession  drunken

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:49 pm

raj kachori chaat, they call it. not sure why but it sure is delicious.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:06 pm

avaraikAi paruppusili, araichuvitta sAmbar (including black pepper and jeera- for a change), shallow fried (onion + tomato) pachidi and now sucking a toblerone for the umami (no pun please) taste

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:07 pm

garam_kuta wrote:avaraikAi paruppusili, araichuvitta sAmbar (including black pepper and jeera- for a change), shallow fried (onion + tomato) pachidi and now sucking a toblerone for the umami (no pun please) taste
sir, for me to get the "pun", i need first understand the original. Maybe in 2014. I am optimistic.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:avaraikAi paruppusili, araichuvitta sAmbar (including black pepper and jeera- for a change), shallow fried (onion + tomato) pachidi and now sucking a toblerone for the umami (no pun please) taste
sir, for me to get the "pun", i need first understand the original. Maybe in 2014. I am optimistic.
aiyo mami! solradhukku enakkaE vetkamA irukku, pOngO Embarassed 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:22 pm

garam_kuta wrote:LoL  bhaiya..clearly it's the 'just a..' bottle/double that must have mislead you, triggering the confession  drunken
wow! i'm much impressed. it was the "a" that subconsciously make me read (or remember) the next word as bottle. you are 100% correct for i read that post at least 3/4 times before i suddenly noticed the "double" and made the rectification post.  
Impedimenta wrote:raj kachori chaat, they call it. not sure why but it sure is delicious.
awesome stuff that is! i haven't had one in ages. i think i had it only once or twice again after the first time i tasted it (i was 15/16 then and hadn't a clue what it was -- i had just ordered it off the menu 'cos of the word "raj" in it; i was delighted to find that it was not a kachori but something more delicious).

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:30 pm

crepe, glutten free and made with onions, peppers and brussel sprouts. I have never had crepes that are made with seasonal veggies, always had the desert kind. But, yummy!!!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Impedimenta wrote:crepe, glutten free and made with onions, peppers and brussel sprouts. I have never had crepes that are made with seasonal veggies, always had the desert kind. But, yummy!!!
you mean glutton ? ...LoL Freudian slippu Razz 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:51 pm

tearing hair out whatever...gluten

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:03 pm

what is "arisikottu" sambar?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Okay, seeing no response I guessed something is amiss. I spelled it wrong. Google corrected me. It's "arachi vittu" or "arachi uttu." I see some recipes, but still can't figure out the difference between the plain old sambar and this other one titled with a two-word descriptive. I am curious because we were over at a friend's house for dinner and this phrase was used to describe the sambar (it tasted great alright), and we didn't know what that meant.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:01 pm

indophile wrote:Okay, seeing no response I guessed something is amiss. I spelled it wrong. Google corrected me. It's "arachi vittu" or "arachi uttu." I see some recipes, but still can't figure out the difference between the plain old sambar and this other one titled with a two-word descriptive. I am curious because we were over at a friend's house for dinner and this phrase was used to describe the sambar (it tasted great alright), and we didn't know what that meant.
The difference is freshly ground spices.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 pm

indophile wrote:Okay, seeing no response I guessed something is amiss. I spelled it wrong. Google corrected me. It's "arachi vittu" or "arachi uttu." I see some recipes, but still can't figure out the difference between the plain old sambar and this other one titled with a two-word descriptive. I am curious because we were over at a friend's house for dinner and this phrase was used to describe the sambar (it tasted great alright), and we didn't know what that meant.
araichu vitta literaly means, "ground and poured"

here you go. I definitely have posted this recipe here before for huzefa. This recipe is with onions. You can substitue it with any sambaar friendly vegetable.

Araichu vitta Kutti vengaya sambar [small onion]

Cook 1 cup of toor dal with turmeric powder in the pressure cooker

Bag of small onions – I use shallots

Use sesame oil for the whole preparation

In two tablespoons of oil, roast the following:

a)      dry red chilies – 8

b)      Dania seeds/coriander seeds – 4 tables spoons

c)      Kadala paruppu/ channa dal – 2 tables spoons

d)     A few shallots

e)      Vendhayam/methi seeds – ½ table spoon

Grind them and make a paste – let’s call this sambar masala

After roasting the above for a few minutes in low flame, add the shredded coconut and roast until the coconut turns color.

f)       Coconut shredded – little

In a pan, heat more sesame oil and tadka with:

a)      mustard seeds

b)      ½ tbs of vendhayam/methi seeds

c)      Curry leaves

d)     Asafoetida powder

After the tadka, add the rest of the shallots and sauté until the onions lose their “raw” smell and are cooked. Add some fresh chopped coriander leaves as well. Add tamarind water to this along with a table spoon of MTR sambar powder. Let it boil until the “raw” smells of the spices disappear.

Make a slightly diluted paste out of the sambar masala and one cup of cooked toor dal. Add it to the above preparation. Add salt to taste. Add water depending on how “dilute” you want the sambar to be. Let it all boil for 10 minutes. Add more freshly chopped coriander leaves after you turn of the stove.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

The "ground and poured" part - Don't you grind and pour spices for any sambar?

Also, does the name "kadala paruppu" for channa dal indicate that it has something to do with love?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:36 pm

indophile wrote:The "ground and poured" part - Don't you grind and pour spices for any sambar?

Also, does the name "kadala paruppu" for channa dal indicate that it has something to do with love?
Ha ha ha! It is all in the phonetics. कादल vs कडल

कडल = gram/legume
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:17 pm

indophile wrote:The "ground and poured" part - Don't you grind and pour spices for any sambar?

a lot of sambars are made with  a pre-made "sambar powder". for 'arachuvitta sambar', the spices are ground fresh along with coconut and added to the sambar.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

bw wrote:

a lot of sambars are made with  a pre-made "sambar powder". for 'arachuvitta sambar', the spices are ground fresh along with coconut and added to the sambar.
Lemme guess... you were once a student ???

Making "Arachuvitta Sambar" is a sure sign of having entered Maamidom.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
bw wrote:

Lemme guess...  you were once a student ???

Making "Arachuvitta Sambar" is a sure sign of having entered Maamidom.
i am *still* a student. anyway, i never made sambar when i was a grad student. 

making and eating only arachu vitta sambar is a sure sign of having fine taste. making 'poDi" sambar is like making cakes from a cake mix. FAIL!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 am

bw wrote: 

making and eating only arachu vitta sambar is a sure sign of having fine taste. making 'poDi" sambar is like making cakes from a cake mix. FAIL!
clap clap clap 

Lunch Monster-sized+tongue

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Pizza...thinnnnn crust with fresh spinach

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content