Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what oil do you use?

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
FluteHolder
6 posters

Go down

what oil do you use? Empty what oil do you use?

Post by Guest Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 pm

I been using Wesson Vegetable oil for years. Apparently, it's not good.

And look at the link below, ghee is in the safe list again, likes it's been for centuries...

http://www.brucebradley.com/food/wesson-all-natural-vegetable-oils-%E2%80%A6-warning-slick-road-ahead/

Back to top Go down

what oil do you use? Empty Re: what oil do you use?

Post by FluteHolder Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:17 am

Deep fry - Canola oil (as per reco from a doctor).

Other sauting/seasoning - Sesame oil

Olive oil - for use where no heating/light heating is involved. (goes well with Milagai Podi (powder chutney for some! ).

Anyone tried claypot cooking or terracota(unpolished earthen cookware). It seems the yoghurt made in claypot would have more good bacteria than normal yoghurt making process. I saw one electric rice cooker with inner bowl made of clay instead of non-stick.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:43 am

FluteHolder wrote:Deep fry - Canola oil (as per reco from a doctor).

Other sauting/seasoning - Sesame oil

Olive oil - for use where no heating/light heating is involved. (goes well with Milagai Podi (powder chutney for some! ).

Anyone tried claypot cooking or terracota(unpolished earthen cookware). It seems the yoghurt made in claypot would have more good bacteria than normal yoghurt making process. I saw one electric rice cooker with inner bowl made of clay instead of non-stick.
Best is peanut oil - the Good old Kadalai yennai. Sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil for salad.

The best advice should come from a Biologist or Biochemist - not a body mechanic.

P.S. Of course...my advice is as good as that from any Biochemist.....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:04 am

Olive oil for sauteeing / seasoning
Sunflower oil for deep frying
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks! Let me research all those again. What else?

BTW, read a few more blogs by that guy:

http://www.brucebradley.com/tag/all-natural/

Where are the Hindutva lawyers?

Cow’s Stomach: Known as rennet and derived from the mucosa of veal calves’ fourth stomach, this ingredient is frequently used in the production of cheese to curdle the milk. Often listed simply as “enzymes” on an ingredient panel, it can be very hard to know exactly what you’re eating when you buy cheese. 

Thinking of it, India was a much healthier place before all the globalization happened. Now, with all the international companies in, and literally zero regulations, God knows what's being fed there...
Cow’s Stomach: Known as rennet and derived from the mucosa of veal calves’ fourth stomach, this ingredient is frequently used in the production of cheese to curdle the milk. Often listed simply as “enzymes” on an ingredient panel, it can be very hard to know exactly what you’re eating when you buy cheese. - See more at: http://www.brucebradley.com/tag/all-natural/#sthash.ZUxL4w4e.dpuf
Cow’s Stomach: Known as rennet and derived from the mucosa of veal calves’ fourth stomach, this ingredient is frequently used in the production of cheese to curdle the milk. Often listed simply as “enzymes” on an ingredient panel, it can be very hard to know exactly what you’re eating when you buy cheese. - See more at: http://www.brucebradley.com/tag/all-natural/#sthash.ZUxL4w4e.dpuf

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:42 am

when we buy cheese we read the ingredients carefully to make sure there is no rennet. of course all this goes out the window when you order in pizza.

we use olive oil for everything, but obviously not the extra virgin kind.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:21 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:I been using Wesson Vegetable oil for years. Apparently, it's not good.

And look at the link below, ghee is in the safe list again, likes it's been for centuries...

http://www.brucebradley.com/food/wesson-all-natural-vegetable-oils-%E2%80%A6-warning-slick-road-ahead/
Use canola oil for cooking and frying. I heard it has many good qualities.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:I been using Wesson Vegetable oil for years. Apparently, it's not good.

basically anytime you heat oil above 250 F, mono and poly unsat oil in "most" oils are converted into fully saturated fat. peanut oil withstands a much higher temperature.

Also,

most "vegetarian" foods have some connection to non-veg to speed up the process or increase production. Most "veggie" canned soups have chicken broth/fat. Most red-colored foods have some "beef" powder extracts. any food item that has been "jelled" or "curdled" "creamed" has some connection to beef.

Of course, when it comes to medicine one should ignore these connections, I suppose. Pig valves, cadaver bone grafts (they stick in little pieces of crushed bones from dead bodies in major ortho surgeries for the broken bones to bridge and connect better.). Now major advances in implanting cells from pancrease of pigs, blood vessel transplants, etc..etc..

Obviously, we are all close to pigs...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:28 pm

sundrop brand sunflower oil (we switched from saffola brand -- safflower + rice bran -- a few years ago).
ghee for tadka and for smearing rotis with and for sweets (halwa).
mustard oil only for non veg frying (sundrop for all other frying or cooking).
olive oil for salad dressing (only tomatoes, onions and radish for me please and lettuce if around).

uppili is right above -- all oils break down when heated to high temperatures. any refined oil is good IMO. but don't take my advice seriously for i am not much into healthy eating or living.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

basically anytime you heat oil above 250 F, mono and poly unsat oil in "most" oils are converted into fully saturated fat. peanut oil withstands a much higher temperature.

Also,

most "vegetarian" foods have some connection to non-veg to speed up the process or increase production.  Most "veggie" canned soups have chicken broth/fat. Most red-colored foods have some "beef" powder extracts. any food item that has been "jelled" or "curdled" "creamed" has some connection to beef.

Of course, when it comes to medicine one should ignore these connections, I suppose. Pig valves, cadaver bone grafts (they stick in little pieces of crushed bones from dead bodies in major ortho surgeries for the broken bones to bridge and connect better.). Now major advances in implanting cells from pancrease of pigs, blood vessel transplants, etc..etc..  

Obviously, we are all close to pigs...Razz
Not long ago some people in India shunned eating white sugar, because they thought that white sugar was created from brown sugar (the natural product from sugarcane) by using bone ash in the bleaching process.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:13 am

Depending on your sense of morality, you need to decide.

Olive oil - some adultery involved

Virgin olive oil - no adultery, pure.

Extra virgin olive oil - produced by immaculate conception, Pope-certifiably pure.

Thanks for asking the question, VB.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum