Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rashmun. You may like this.

5 posters

Go down

Rashmun. You may like this. Empty Rashmun. You may like this.

Post by sambarvada Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Like most BPO agents from out of town, I rented a room in a workers' hostel. For the equivalent of $80 per month, I got a nine-by-six cell—a plywood double bed, a ceiling fan, and two windows covered in newspaper—plus two hot meals a day.

In the hostel I met Satish, a slight, bespectacled fellow who worked with computers and always seemed to have a head cold. One night, he grabbed my sleeve and whispered that Shail, his girlfriend, was coming to visit. She lived in a ladies' hostel down the street, but they rarely saw each other because she worked nights at a call center. Shail, 23, had moved here from a small town in Uttar Pradesh. She had graduated at the top of her college class but always assumed she'd end up at a call center. She answered phones for Target, telling customers the balance remaining on their gift cards. The work was boring, she said, but she was "learning to feel independent" and saving up for her dowry.

Shail was bright and personable, with effortless good looks. I asked how she and Satish had met. "Online," she said, giggling. "Yahoo Chat. He proposed without seeing me. It was so embarrassing." Satish had selected her screen name at random and "proposed" that they date. Later, he told me he'd done the same with dozens of girls. "I never used to attend his chats," Shail said. "But something happened; we started talking and I realized that really he is loving me. After a few months, I accepted his proposal."

They planned to spend a few years working in Delhi before getting married and moving to Satish's home state of Tamil Nadu. "There is slight language problem," Shail admitted. She doesn't speak Tamil and Satish doesn't speak Hindi. "Even when we want to fight, we fight in English."

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Rashmun. You may like this. Empty Re: Rashmun. You may like this.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks for posting this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:21 pm

we started talking and I realized that really he is loving me.

>>>>> Satish, please learn Hindi!

"There is slight language problem," Shail admitted.

>>>No kidding!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:36 am

language barriers have one advantage. One can always claim language problem as an excuse for foolish things uttered during a family feud.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Silhouette Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Kris wrote:
"There is slight language problem," Shail admitted.

>>>No kidding!

But if she moves to TN she may pick up the language. Even without any immersion, I am beginning to understand a few words just through active listening. And with English interspersed, I can make out sentences as well.

Silhouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Silhouette,

I meant with the english .. Read the quite above

hahaha
Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Meant

"quote" not "quite"

This English problem is contagious, isn't it?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Silhouette Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Yeah I saw that he is loving her. Even then, Shail may have some hope with Tamil because her english problem isn't likely to go away soon. It's a nationwide epidemic. LOL@your problem.

Silhouette

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Silhouette wrote:It's a nationwide epidemic.
In time, standard English will be "are you loving me" and "I am loving you." It is a demographic inevitability, I am telling you. So instead of viewing it as a problem, I am viewing it as an opportunity. One former colony defined standard English in the 20th century; another ex-colony will define it in in the 21st. I am getting with the program already.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 pm

I am inclining to agree(ing?) with you. Besides, we are like this only. Very Happy

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down