Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my younger is not reading..

+4
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kris
.|Sublime|.
harharmahadev
8 posters

Go down

my younger is not reading.. Empty my younger is not reading..

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:02 pm

...he is in class 9. i need some recos. he has rejected all the books my older has read. tia.

Back to top Go down

my younger is not reading.. Empty Re: my younger is not reading..

Post by harharmahadev Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:...he is in class 9. i need some recos. he has rejected all the books my older has read. tia.

Try to start him off with comic books. Tintin, Phantom, Archie, etc.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:13 pm

good place to start looking for recos - book lists published by high schools and libraries or the ALA.

High school summer reading lists - Waldorf High School Reading List has an extensive list of books.

Good reads is a great site for recos. I have read quite a few of the books on Page 1. I love the Artemis Fowl series even though it is meant for young adults. As also the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I am not sure what his reading preference is but these are fun easy reads. There are other books by Eoin Colfer that I know boys like - Half moon Investigations, Airman etc.

Top 10 Summer Reading Lists For Kids and Teens: 2011

ALA's book lists

You can introduce him to graphic novels. Make sure they have suitable content though - the japanese ones can be violently sexual.

If he likes non fiction, then he could try biographies and historical books. I would suggest autobiographies/biographies of people he likes. He is probably learning world history in school. He can look for books on world history related to WWI and WWII. There is also a lot of fiction set in this period of world history. Leon Uris might be a good starting point. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak is a good book about the Holocaust time.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:37 pm

txs .|Sublime|. i will try your recos. and report.

@harharmahadev: he's read too many comics for his age. today he could not spell "allopathy" correctly. he must read and intensively.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:...he is in class 9. i need some recos. he has rejected all the books my older has read. tia.

>>>> Are there reading assignments in his classes? If so, maybe find out which ones he liked and see if you can get him others in those genres. Neither of my kids read fictional works that I read at their age. It is partly the culture and partly all the other distractions (mainly, the internet), but I have heard them discuss stuff that they are picking up either through class assignments or random readings. This stuff is fairly diverse and has of late included dante's inferno, 'hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' and why music was more technically precise in mozart's time. I have stayed clear of suggesting that they should read what I used to read simply because I think it is not going to be effective and am going the organic route instead.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:29 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:good place to start looking for recos - book lists published by high schools and libraries or the ALA.

High school summer reading lists - Waldorf High School Reading List has an extensive list of books.

Good reads is a great site for recos. I have read quite a few of the books on Page 1. I love the Artemis Fowl series even though it is meant for young adults. As also the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I am not sure what his reading preference is but these are fun easy reads. There are other books by Eoin Colfer that I know boys like - Half moon Investigations, Airman etc.

Top 10 Summer Reading Lists For Kids and Teens: 2011

ALA's book lists

You can introduce him to graphic novels. Make sure they have suitable content though - the japanese ones can be violently sexual.

If he likes non fiction, then he could try biographies and historical books. I would suggest autobiographies/biographies of people he likes. He is probably learning world history in school. He can look for books on world history related to WWI and WWII. There is also a lot of fiction set in this period of world history. Leon Uris might be a good starting point. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak is a good book about the Holocaust time.

Tell me what is the use of reading so many books? in what way it is going to help the kid ? If the kid is interested in reading, then it is fine. But, what is the point in forcing the kid to read - of all things, useless story books written based on imagination?

Pliss to explain....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Tell me what is the use of reading so many books? in what way it is going to help the kid ? If the kid is interested in reading, then it is fine. But, what is the point in forcing the kid to read - of all things, useless story books written based on imagination?
Pliss to explain....

you're such a revolutionary aren't you - with your unorthodox ideas and observations. very charming.
reading is novel concept and there is very little research on the benefits of reading for young minds. so, as i said it is only when revolutionary minds such as yours question the idea of someone picking up a book and reading that ordinary folks like us wonder what the point is of reading.
a thought - maybe it helps with writing. for example - instead of framing a question like "in what way it is going to help the kid?" one might, just a suggestion, say "in what way is it going to help the kid?"
in any case, not like anyone reads or writes or has any need to comprehend at school or work or in daily life!
and i wonder which moron came up with the idea that imagination enriches minds! he needs to be sued for wasting all our precious time.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:12 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
you're such a revolutionary aren't you - with your unorthodox ideas and observations. very charming.
reading is novel concept and there is very little research on the benefits of reading for young minds. so, as i said it is only when revolutionary minds such as yours question the idea of someone picking up a book and reading that ordinary folks like us wonder what the point is of reading.
a thought - maybe it helps with writing. for example - instead of framing a question like "in what way it is going to help the kid?" one might, just a suggestion, say "in what way is it going to help the kid?"
in any case, not like anyone reads or writes or has any need to comprehend at school or work or in daily life!
and i wonder which moron came up with the idea that imagination enriches minds! he needs to be sued for wasting all our precious time.

what uppili saaar meant to ask is - what is the use of spending days/weeks on reading all these books when they can very well subscribe to his podcast and gain all that worldly knowledge in under ten minutes?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 am

.|Sublime|. wrote: reading is novel concept and there is very little research on the benefits of reading for young minds.

i think it is scientifically proven that language skills help hone or bloom math skills in young minds. i do recall reading something to that effect some time ago (not sure now if it was a rigorous scientific research). it is claimed that one supplements the other. so, for young minds, it is very important to read because reading develops your verbal skills and that will help your math skills. similarly, learning a musical instrument (like the piano) during childhood also helps in developing your math skills later. so, writing well is not the only product of reading. i feel reading helps you express yourself, which, again, shapes your overall personality. with my older, i had him on an essay-a-day routine for a year. now i see that he is writing fluently, succinctly, imaginatively and free of grammatical errors and sp., punctuation mistakes. earlier that was not so. his extensive reading helped him. so, i have stopped the essay-a-day routine now. now he is able to argue/debate with me logically (to my satisfaction). all this is 'cos of reading i feel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Tell me what is the use of reading so many books? in what way it is going to help the kid ? If the kid is interested in reading, then it is fine. But, what is the point in forcing the kid to read - of all things, useless story books written based on imagination?
Pliss to explain....

you're such a revolutionary aren't you - with your unorthodox ideas and observations. very charming..

So what is the difference and what damage it did - oops - did it do ? I bet that 99.99 % of the people reading the "wrongly" written sentence will understand exactly what it means.

Reading BOOKS is just one of the interesting things that SOME kids and adult indulge - just like some kids indulge in sports, some in debate, and some on IIT Coaching.

Are you sure reading books is more important than the rest? are you sure forcing books on a kid will make him happier and will assure him of a more successful life - whatever that means ?

would you force a kid to go out and play and seriously in a sports as you would do in regard to books ?

Are you a Tambrahmini?....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 pm

my two cents:

Reading books definitely helps. You should definitely encourage him to read more. But let him find his own books. Your earlier strategy worked on your older son coz maybe of your relative personalities.

But your younger is already showing signs it won't work on him. He already discarded the books the older ones liked. So, time to restrategize. While continuing to be an example, encourage friends who are readers, discourage all lafantar influences, if any.

Learning is best when it comes from within. No harm in trying to help set a pattern, but it works for some and kills for others. Hence, tread carefully.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote: reading is novel concept and there is very little research on the benefits of reading for young minds.

i think it is scientifically proven that language skills help hone or bloom math skills in young minds.

preach to the saamiyaar. not to the choir

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:So what is the difference and what damage it did - oops - did it do ? I bet that 99.99 % of the people reading the "wrongly" written sentence will understand exactly what it means.

Reading BOOKS is just one of the interesting things that SOME kids and adult indulge - just like some kids indulge in sports, some in debate, and some on IIT Coaching.

Are you sure reading books is more important than the rest? are you sure forcing books on a kid will make him happier and will assure him of a more successful life - whatever that means ?

would you force a kid to go out and play and seriously in a sports as you would do in regard to books ?

I do not understand what your fight is about saamiyaar. if you want to read, read. if you do not want to, do not read. but spare me your convoluted logic. i never said reading is more important than the rest. i also never said reading is not important but you seem to be saying that. if HK had asked about sports, i might have replied to that post too.
so how do you make the jump in thinking from a harmless suggestions for books to a tambrahm disregard for sports?
but i do agree with you when you say that you cannot force someone to read who is not interested.
but for your sake, i hope you are not going around preaching in public about the uselessness of reading.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:So what is the difference and what damage it did - oops - did it do ? I bet that 99.99 % of the people reading the "wrongly" written sentence will understand exactly what it means.

so how do you make the jump in thinking from a harmless suggestions for books to a tambrahm disregard for sports?
but i do agree with you when you say that you cannot force someone to read who is not interested.
but for your sake, i hope you are not going around preaching in public about the uselessness of reading.

Stop right there. We are only talking about HK kid who does NOT seem to be interested in reading books - the kind of titles I have seen you, BW, MAXE etc have been suggesting.

Leave him to his interests. if he is interested in books he will pick it up later.

Where did I say READING books was bad? I only said why FORCE someone to read or dance or sing or work on cars? I encourage people and kids to do what they want to do - including reading books or playing online chess.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:my two cents:

Reading books definitely helps. You should definitely encourage him to read more. But let him find his own books. Your earlier strategy worked on your older son coz maybe of your relative personalities.

But your younger is already showing signs it won't work on him. He already discarded the books the older ones liked. So, time to restrategize. While continuing to be an example, encourage friends who are readers, discourage all lafantar influences, if any.

Learning is best when it comes from within. No harm in trying to help set a pattern, but it works for some and kills for others. Hence, tread carefully.

no, we do not encourage lafantar friends. in fact my wife elimates lafantar friends periodically. also no sleep outs/ins etc. the best friends are the ones that stay away.

i have decided to buy my younger an ipad 3g and make him buy the books from the lists .|Sublime|. recommends. i hope the gizmo interface will excite him to read. if i don't get an ipad, i'll settle for a kindle. am waiting for kids to return from school before i send the younger to our nearest imagine store (apple store).

@ saamiyar: you are right. my younger is not interested in reading. i should not force him. i should leave hm to his interests -- computer games etc. he is also not too keen on attending school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:While continuing to be an example, encourage friends who are readers, discourage all lafantar influences, if any.

yup, his friends --the few he has -- are well read (if harry potter series is any indication of being well read).

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:49 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

i think it is scientifically proven that language skills help hone or bloom math skills in young minds.

preach to the saamiyaar. not to the choir

Language skills are different from reading skills. HK's son knows how to read and write. Just that he may not like Harry Potter, LOTR, or Shakespeare. He may be interested - at some stage - in non-fictional writing or historical writing or war stories.

Why do you guys expect the kids to have exactly your interests ? May be the second kid has skills that HK is unable to recognize as he may be thinking within his own box. May be he likes art, painting, debate, etc..etc..

Again, Language skills are different from reading skills.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Language skills are different from reading skills. HK's son knows how to read and write. Just that he may not like Harry Potter, LOTR, or Shakespeare. He may be interested - at some stage - in non-fictional writing or historical writing or war stories.

Why do you guys expect the kids to have exactly your interests ? May be the second kid has skills that HK is unable to recognize as he may be thinking within his own box. May be he likes art, painting, debate, etc..etc..

Again, Language skills are different from reading skills.

yes. you make a sound point. i've bought him an ipad wi fi (our 3G phone can be used as a wi fi router so no point paying rs 6000 extra for an ipad 3G). also i have not recommended him .|Sublime|.'s lists. i have only told him to search through ibook store (which seems to be empty) and amazon and download books of his choice. the only condition is that he has to finish a book every fortnight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 pm

lucky boys Very Happy
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:he is also not too keen on attending school.
Perfect; you should pull him out of school and enroll him in the Saamiyar Institute of Worldly Wisdom. He will learn how everything that is worth learning and begin disseminating his wisdom on all topics, including ones he has no clue about, within a few days.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:10 pm

charvaka wrote:
Perfect; you should pull him out of school and enroll him in the Saamiyar Institute of Worldly Wisdom. He will learn how everything that is worth learning and begin disseminating his wisdom on all topics, including ones he has no clue about, within a few days.

lol! lol! i hope it comes with a fake bachelors in engineering degree

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:. i have only told him to search through ibook store (which seems to be empty)
iBooks store seems empty? Is this some licensing issue in India?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 pm

charvaka wrote:

hahaha...perhaps, you can list the topics that you think that I can make some useful pots - if at all there is anything.....

If there is no topic that I am can usefully post on, that is fine too.... I will simply learn from the masters like you who are show your expertise ranging from SE history and Chinese culture to Afghan Quagmire and Obama's troubles, not to mention the African, Greek economics, Arab revolt, etc...etc... all at the young age of 33.

Really.... I should try to learn at least 10% of what you know even though not easy to retain information at my ripe old age. I will try my best although I am not into reading books, and hence, certainly several notches below the elite and egalitarian group here....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:10 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:. i have only told him to search through ibook store (which seems to be empty)
iBooks store seems empty? Is this some licensing issue in India?

i don't know. i'll have to talk to the dealer. right now i'm happy with amazon.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:hahaha...perhaps, you can list the topics that you think that I can make some useful pots - if at all there is anything.....

If there is no topic that I am can usefully post on, that is fine too.... I will simply learn from the masters like you who are show your expertise ranging from SE history and Chinese culture to Afghan Quagmire and Obama's troubles, not to mention the African, Greek economics, Arab revolt, etc...etc... all at the young age of 33.

Really.... I should try to learn at least 10% of what you know even though not easy to retain information at my ripe old age. I will try my best although I am not into reading books, and hence, certainly several notches below the elite and egalitarian group here....Wink
Hey, I was only trying to get you a discipline, that too the son of a rich man... and you seem to have gotten your undies all in a twist. Wink

PS: For the record, your advise on car repair and relationships is usually beyond reproach. I don't know if your advise regarding bodily discharges is as good, but judging by your reputation with the ladies of CH, it probably is.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:57 am

Why does he not read? Is it a general dislike for reading or a lack of interest in the books you chose? I have known boys who did not read a lot in high school but became avid readers ,specifically, of non-fiction and philosophy, as they grew up and went to university.

Wait till your son takes an interest in some aspects of life. He will definitely want to explore, learn more and will not only soak up related information but will be able to process it better than those who have picked up reading fiction in childhood.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:13 am

he is very mischievous (though good in studies). so far i wasn't forcing him to read books 'cos he was reading comics. but now he's of the age when he has to graduate from comics to prose or non fiction. he is unwilling though not entirely disobedient. once he gets in the groove of reading, this problem won't be there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:17 am

charvaka wrote:
PS: For the record, your advise on car repair and relationships is usually beyond reproach.

you have to give it to uppili for his ability to give advice on things from plumbing to car repair and from education to relationships. and going by the advicees' reaction here, one may assume that his advice is usually good. another thing about uppili is that he even advises those with whom he has had tiffs in the past. he has had bitter fights with bittuboye on old CH, but he was the first to give advice to him on matters related to citizenship and a few other things.

i am this close to starting the uppili fan club.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 am

update: my younger downloaded two selections from ALA's quick picks for reluctant young readers list (recommended by .|Sublime|.). things are off to a start finally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:19 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

i don't know. i'll have to talk to the dealer. right now i'm happy with amazon.
Are you using the Kindle app on iPad?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:50 am

i'm not sure if it is kindle (must be) but amazon has a section for e-books and you can buy and download from there as also their reader. there are other stores too like kobobooks.com which also have e-books. if a store has e-books and if you download their reader application, you are ready to go. i think he must have downloaded kindle application or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:13 am

yes, he is using the kindle app for ipad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:44 am

@ HA: spoke to the dealer today. ibook store access is location specific. that's all he had to say (shouldn't he should have said this when my kid bought it?). checked up on the net. it is a common problem it seems and even with itunes. one guy on the net hazarded that local bookstores had not tied up with ibook store. but i am not sure of that explanation 'cos ibook store debited my card by $1 so the remittance is certainly going abroad. anyway, apple sucks. too proprietary. but, still, the ipad is good. younger is reading (thirteen reasony why by jay asher at the moment).

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:@ HA: spoke to the dealer today. ibook store access is location specific. that's all he had to say (shouldn't he should have said this when my kid bought it?). checked up on the net. it is a common problem it seems and even with itunes. one guy on the net hazarded that local bookstores had not tied up with ibook store. but i am not sure of that explanation 'cos ibook store debited my card by $1 so the remittance is certainly going abroad. anyway, apple sucks. too proprietary. but, still, the ipad is good. younger is reading (thirteen reasony why by jay asher at the moment).

I looked up iBooks store in India and this is the link I have:

http://itunes.apple.com/in/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8

And this is the list of books:
http://itunes.apple.com/in/genre/ios-books/id6018?mt=8
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 pm

i'll check and tell you tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 am

Hellsangel wrote:
I looked up iBooks store in India and this is the link I have:

http://itunes.apple.com/in/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8

ok this is a page advertising ibooks (that comes with ibook store). i allready have ibooks (therefore ibook store) in my ipad.

And this is the list of books:
http://itunes.apple.com/in/genre/ios-books/id6018?mt=8

this is not a list of books! this is a list of applications (related to books) for the ipad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

this is not a list of books! this is a list of applications (related to books) for the ipad!

OK. They looked like a list of books:
my younger is not reading.. Appleb10
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down