Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gay Element in Hinduism (Response to Kris)

2 posters

Go down

Gay Element in Hinduism (Response to Kris) Empty Gay Element in Hinduism (Response to Kris)

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:24 pm

This is in response to the Supreme Court of India judgement outlawing homosexual sex. In responding to this judgement, Kris writes:

Why is this surprising? I didn't know Hinduism was different from other faiths in this regard. I also think the idea that the attitude toward gays is a legacy of the brits, which I have heard, is disingenuous.

https://such.forumotion.com/t18393-it-is-a-sad-day-vhp-joins-hands-with-fanatic-muslims-christians-and-catholics-on-one-issue#132619

---
Now, in my opinion Hinduism is different from Christianity, Islam and several other faiths because it condones homosexual sex. Two examples as evidence of what i say are:

1. Lord Ayappan or Ayappa was born out of the union of Lord Shiva with Lord Vishnu. (Vishnu had taken on a female form when this happened.)
2. There are passages in the Rig Veda which talk of homosexual sex in a matter of fact way without any condemnation or disapproval.

One other religion which adopts a similar attitude towards homosexual sex as Hinduism does is the ancient Greek religion.

Back to top Go down

Gay Element in Hinduism (Response to Kris) Empty Re: Gay Element in Hinduism (Response to Kris)

Post by namo Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_topics_and_Hinduism

namo

Back to top Go down

Gay Element in Hinduism (Response to Kris) Empty Re: Gay Element in Hinduism (Response to Kris)

Post by Kris Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 am

Rashmun wrote:This is in response to the Supreme Court of India judgement outlawing homosexual sex. In responding to this judgement, Kris writes:

Why is this surprising? I didn't know Hinduism was different from other faiths in this regard. I also think the idea that the attitude toward gays is a legacy of the brits, which I have heard, is disingenuous.

https://such.forumotion.com/t18393-it-is-a-sad-day-vhp-joins-hands-with-fanatic-muslims-christians-and-catholics-on-one-issue#132619

---
Now, in my opinion Hinduism is different from Christianity, Islam and several other faiths because it condones homosexual sex. Two examples as evidence of what i say are:

1. Lord Ayappan or Ayappa was born out of the union of Lord Shiva with Lord Vishnu. (Vishnu had taken on a female form when this happened.)
2. There are passages in the Rig Veda which talk of homosexual sex in a matter of fact way without any condemnation or disapproval.

One other religion which adopts a similar attitude towards homosexual sex as Hinduism does is the ancient Greek religion.
>>>I am familiar with alis and hijra who exist as communities, but they are peripheral communities. I am not familiar with the Rig Veda's opinion on the issue, but I assume that this mentioned not in a prominent way. If this tolerance is a central aspect to the religion, you would expect to see prominent mention of this in religious texts.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:05 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:This is in response to the Supreme Court of India judgement outlawing homosexual sex. In responding to this judgement, Kris writes:

---

>>>I am familiar with alis and hijra who exist as communities, but they are peripheral communities. I am not familiar with the Rig Veda's opinion on the issue, but I assume that this mentioned not in a prominent way. If this tolerance is a central aspect to the religion, you would expect to see prominent mention of this in religious texts.

it is not a central aspect to the religion you are right. the point is that there is no hostility expressed towards homosexual relationships, no claims that they should not be indulged in, no promulgations that they should be banned or that indulging in such relationships is a sin. Further, how do you explain that Lord Ayappa was born of a homosexual dalliance between Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu? Are you suggesting that Lord Ayappa is a peripheral God in Hinduism?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:53 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:

---

it is not a central aspect to the religion you are right. the point is that there is no hostility expressed towards homosexual relationships, no claims that they should not be indulged in, no promulgations that they should be banned or that indulging in such relationships is a sin. Further, how do you explain that Lord Ayappa was born of a homosexual dalliance between Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu? Are you suggesting that Lord Ayappa is a peripheral God in Hinduism?
>>>My understanding on Ayyappa is that is his mother was Vishnu in a female form. In terms of his position on the Hindu pantheon, I thought the deity was localized to one part of the country which may have later gotten folded into the broader belief system. I am not sure if there are antecedents to Ayyappa in the earlier versions of the religion. The problem here of course is that Hinduism grew organically and is not a creedal religion. It is difficult to pinpoint what it stands for categorically or against on a particular issue. My point is its stance in the main on this issue.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down