Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rashmun

Go down

Rashmun Empty Rashmun

Post by goodcitizn Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Since you have been following the Devyani incident closely, can you tell me if she paid the maid from her own pocket (on her reported salary of $4000/mo) or if she paid out of her maid allowance of X dollars?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Rashmun Empty Re: Rashmun

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:08 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Since you have been following the Devyani incident closely, can you tell me if she paid the maid from her own pocket (on her reported salary of $4000/mo) or if she paid out of her maid allowance of X dollars?

out of her own pocket.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Since you have been following the Devyani incident closely, can you tell me if she paid the maid from her own pocket (on her reported salary of $4000/mo) or if she paid out of her maid allowance of X dollars?

out of her own pocket.

It beats me how she could say that she was paying her $4500/mo.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:23 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

out of her own pocket.

since all indian diplomats and diplomats of all developing countries play this game, should all of them be arrested? should the wives of US diplomatic staff who work in india without valid work visas be arrested? do you really want to be a stickler for the letter of the law and risk a high stakes confrontation because of this issue? is it worth it?

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

out of her own pocket.

since all indian diplomats and diplomats of all developing countries play this game, should all of them be arrested? should the wives of US diplomatic staff who work in india without valid work visas be arrested? do you really want to be a stickler for the letter of the law and risk a high stakes confrontation because of this issue? is it worth it?

Why do you expect any country not to enforce its laws? Should the law be applicable to some and not the others? If the wives of U.S. diplomats work illegally in India then the government must take appropriate action. Otherwise what is the point in having laws? Is it worth it? Yes, if you believe in the system of fairness and justice.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:39 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

out of her own pocket.

Why do you expect any country not to enforce its laws? Should the law be applicable to some and not the others? If the wives of U.S. diplomats work illegally in India then the government must take appropriate action. Otherwise what is the point in having laws? Is it worth it? Yes, if you believe in the system of fairness and justice.

the norms of diplomatic relations and diplomatic etiquette have evolved over several centuries and one aspects of these is that one does not follow the letter of the law with diplomats. the reason is that diplomats do not just represent themselves, they are representing their country. so you have give more latitude to a diplomat than to an ordinary person. of course you are free to deport them. but unless it is a very serious charge like murder or rape, relatively minor infractions of the law are not pursued when a diplomat is involved. This has been the norm for centuries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down