Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is she out of the country or not?

+2
FluteHolder
Rishi
6 posters

Go down

Is she out of the country or not? Empty Is she out of the country or not?

Post by Rishi Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

But the status of the case, which has sent U.S.-India relations into a tailspin, was thrown into doubt by conflicting statements from the U.S. attorney, Preet Bharara, who told the court that the diplomat had left the United States just hours earlier under a grant of diplomatic immunity, and her lawyer, Daniel N. Arshack, who said she was at home in New York “with her children.”

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Is she out of the country or not? Empty Re: Is she out of the country or not?

Post by FluteHolder Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 pm

It looks like PB won at last and stood by what he meant..

If that news about DK going to court to show that she has immunity and then leave US is true then it is like saying 'Ya; I fell down but no dirt in my moustache' Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:34 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/politics/us-india-diplomacy/index.html?c=homepage-t&page=3
Rishi
This news item provides details of dk's whereabouts.
Looks like bharara got not so accurate info from state Dept.
According to dk's lawyers she is at her house with her children. No clarity if she will leave for India or not is not yet clear.
I think she should go back to India. Probably allowed only to go to un activities for short stay in Usa.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:35 pm

FluteHolder wrote:It looks like PB won at last and stood by what he meant..

If that news about DK going to court to show that she has immunity and then leave US is true then it is like saying 'Ya; I fell down but no dirt in my moustache' Smile

it could have been worse for her.

-------
Topping the three options is giving full diplomatic immunity to Khobragade, who was arrested in New York on December 12 on charges of visa fraud and misrepresentation, by accepting her credentials to the UN before the criminal charges are filed against her by the Department of Justice, sources said.

This is said to be the preferred option under present circumstances and is believed to be supported by those in the administration who are ardent supporters of India-US relationship and do not want the Devyani episode to derail the strengthening ties between the two countries.

The second option is to accept the UN transfer of 39-year-old Khobragade only after she is criminally charged.

This would give some tense moments to both the Indian diplomat and also New Delhi, sources said.

The State Department had received the necessary paper work for the UN transfer of Khobragade on December 20. More than a fortnight after that the State Department continues to review the paper work and is taking an unusually long time.

The final option is to refuse to accept Khobragade's UN transfer due to pending criminal charges, the sources said.

Though the least preferred option, it is said to be advocated by those in the administration who want to "teach a lesson" to India for taking up retaliatory measures against the only super power of the world by removal of security barriers outside its Embassy in New Delhi and withdrawing privileges of its diplomats.

Though, currently in minority, supporters of the third option argue that other countries might soon follow the Indian path, if Washington does not take strong action against New Delhi.

However, sources said, no final decision has been taken as yet and it is very possible that a high-level intervention might be required to take a final call on resolving the issue.

The third option, friends of India-US ties in Washington argue, would derail the bilateral relationship at least for the next several years.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:50 pm

http://m.thehindu.com/news/international/world/khobragade-indicted-confusion-over-her-location/article5556676.ece/?secid=2780

Dk seem to have said "she will inform court about her immunity and only then go to India.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:27 pm

http://m.thehindu.com/news/international/world/khobragade-indicted-confusion-over-her-location/article5556676.ece/?secid=2780

Dk seem to have said "she will inform court about her immunity and only then go to India.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 pm

I am apalled at your country coddling alleged criminals as diplomats.

Why don't she stand trial and show she did not provide false information on visa?

When I say your contry I mean India because all earlirer posters in this thread consider India as your country.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 pm

FluteHolder wrote:It looks like PB won at last and stood by what he meant..

This is a fine example of Mr. Bharara's competency and tells us how much attention he pays to the details, how in world did he assume that she left the country, may be he was shitting his pants, after getting an earful from his higher officials, when he made that announcement.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
This is a fine example of Mr. Bharara's competency and tells us how much attention he pays to the details, how in world did he assume that she left the country, may be he was shitting his pants, after getting an earful from his higher officials, when he made that announcement.

Why this hatred for a prosecutor doing his job?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Why this hatred for a prosecutor doing his job?

Really, did he do his job right? It appears more like unscrupulously exaggerating truth to get ahead with ones political aspirations.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:04 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Really, did he do his job right? It appears more like unscrupulously exaggerating truth to get ahead with ones political aspirations.

He did the job right. Scared the alleged criminal indian diplomat.

I dare India to go to trial and win instead of doing low handed thing like granting diplomatic immunity after the criminal mact was done, posting to UN and sneaking by.

That prosecutor did the job well.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

He did the job right. Scared the alleged criminal indian diplomat.

That prosecutor did the job well.
>>> What? He was going to use her as his shield and her children as his foot soldiers?  I can see why you are duly impressed. I am surprised this hasn't been made public. Thanks for the inside info.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down