Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gujarat: AAP beginning to find its feet for being different

Go down

Gujarat: AAP beginning to find its feet for being different Empty Gujarat: AAP beginning to find its feet for being different

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:55 am

In the last one week itself, former BJP MLA Kanu Kalsaria, former minister in Keshubhai Patel government Jaspal Singh, and danseuse Mallika Sarabhai have joined AAP.
Among those who follow auto-driver Parmar into the AAP office are businessman Manish Upadhyay, 42, and his friend Hetalbhai Joshi, 40. They have come from Maninagar, Modi’s Assembly constituency, to join AAP “because of its transparency”. “We want work, not big names,” they say.

Engineer Amit Gohil comes with his eight-year-old son from Sola, drawn by “AAP’s clean and secular image”. “They fielded a Muslim from a Hindu-dominated constituency in Delhi, and the candidate almost won, busting the myth that politics can be done only by dividing the society,” he says.

Sanjay Solanki, 25, and Jayesh Vahan, 21, have come from Nadiad in Kheda district. Solanki runs a canteen at the college where Vahan is a student. Solanki is joining “because only AAP can end corruption”. “I have worked on a contractual basis in the Mahesana district collectorate and I know how deep-rooted corruption is. The BJP has not been able to check it,” he says. Vahan hopes for “change” through AAP. “I feel reform is possible only with it,” he says.

At a press conference held in the lawns of the bungalow, Sukhdev Patel and party state secretary Sanjiv Srivastava, an IITian who quit Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation to work for AAP, expounds on the futility of spending Rs 2,500 crore on erecting Sardar Patel’s statue. “This could have been spent on schools and health facilities in remote, rural areas,” says Srivastava, adding that they will expose corruption in Gujarat.

- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/in-modi-backyard-aap-finds-feet-for-being-different/#sthash.aG4pEYtJ.dpuf

Back to top Go down