Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton

+4
Rishi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Hellsangel
confuzzled dude
8 posters

Go down

They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton Empty They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 pm

When she was in high school and eyeing Princeton University as a college destination, Michelle Obama said, counselors warned her she was too ambitious. “They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton,” she told a group of low-income students recently. “I still hear that doubt ringing in my head.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/michelle-obama-uses-life-story-to-promote-education-initiative/2014/01/17/bb4f27f6-7eb4-11e3-93c1-0e888170b723_story.html

-> but the bigger question is, has the situation gotten any better today?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton Empty Re: They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:36 pm

If you can play the deserving minority card well, it is a lot easier now.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton Empty Re: They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:36 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:When she was in high school and eyeing Princeton University as a college destination, Michelle Obama said, counselors warned her she was too ambitious. “They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton,” she told a group of low-income students recently. “I still hear that doubt ringing in my head.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/michelle-obama-uses-life-story-to-promote-education-initiative/2014/01/17/bb4f27f6-7eb4-11e3-93c1-0e888170b723_story.html

She had one big advantage that others did not and dont have. That stumps everything else and everyone else. Ask Colin Powell.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:When she was in high school and eyeing Princeton University as a college destination, Michelle Obama said, counselors warned her she was too ambitious. “They told me I was never going to get into a school like Princeton,” she told a group of low-income students recently. “I still hear that doubt ringing in my head.”

She had one big advantage that others did not and dont have.  That stumps everything else and everyone else. Ask Colin Powell.

Did she graduate or not?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:56 pm

>>>Why is media going gaga over this woman's fiftieth birthday?

Did she find a cure for cancer or what?

She did not study theoretical physics at Princeton. She majored in African American studies.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Robinson majored in sociology and minored in African American studies and graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in 1985.[4][28] She earned her Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from Harvard Law School in 1988.

ps. 3.7+ = summa cum laude, 3.4+ = magna cum laude, 3.0+ = cum laude

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Rishi wrote:

She did not study theoretical physics at Princeton. She majored in African American studies.

If she can influence a few African American women attend college than getting pregnant, all power to her. Rest of your post about science & eng. is nothing but a typical Asian mindset.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:40 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

If she can influence a few African American women attend college than getting pregnant, all power to her. Rest of your post about science & eng. is nothing but a typical Asian mindset.

>>> I have a neighbor who is black whose unmarried daughter got pregnant while attending college. The grandma was taking care of the kids while the daughter went to college. The same case with my Jewish neighbor. Her daughter was also pregnant out of wedlock. She has few years of college. She is doing very well in terms of job.

The women in ghetto do not have that kind of a support system. They cannot afford to get pregnant.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Rishi wrote:

>>> I have a neighbor who is black whose unmarried daughter got pregnant while attending college.   The grandma was taking care of the kids while the daughter went to college. The same case with my Jewish neighbor. Her daughter was also pregnant out of wedlock. She has few years of college. She is doing very well in terms of job.

The women in ghetto do not have that kind of a support system.  They cannot afford to get pregnant.

What a diverse neighborhood you live in, Papi!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rishi wrote:

>>> I have a neighbor who is black whose unmarried daughter got pregnant while attending college.   The grandma was taking care of the kids while the daughter went to college. The same case with my Jewish neighbor. Her daughter was also pregnant out of wedlock. She has few years of college. She is doing very well in terms of job.

The women in ghetto do not have that kind of a support system.  They cannot afford to get pregnant.

HA,

My Jewish neighbor also told me that was a virgin till the age of 26. Only after her first tryst, she realized how much she had missed.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Rishi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rishi wrote:

HA,

My Jewish neighbor also told me that was a virgin till the age of 26. Only after her first tryst, she realized how much she had missed.

And what a nice ear and shoulder they have in you, Papi!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Rishi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rishi wrote:

HA,

>>>Got pg the first time around, eh? Would it have killed the guy to use protection? Aside from that, I am puzzled when people divulge these things. I never know what to say.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rishi wrote:

HA,

>>>Got pg the first time around, eh? Would it have killed the guy to use protection? Aside from that, I am puzzled when people divulge these things. I never know what to say.

TMI leaves me quite uncomfortable too but some people seem to thrive on it and i wonder if i am just too old fashioned.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rishi wrote:

HA,

TMI leaves me quite uncomfortable too but some people seem to thrive on it and i wonder if i am just too old fashioned.

>>>Worse yet, I once had a female boss who had a penchant for this. Weirded me out.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:53 am

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rishi wrote:

HA,

May be they fall for the glow around Rishi's head, sorta hypnotized by it and start revealing secrets to him.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:12 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

HA,

May be they fall for the glow around Rishi's head, sorta hypnotized by it and start revealing secrets to him.

>>> CD,

In a way you are right. Whether in India or anywhere, people have told me all kinds of stuff which goes on in their personal lives.

Sometimes even strangers reveal some stuff about their lives within 30 minutes of meeting me.

I think the problem is that early on in my life, I read too many self help books about listening, the art of conversation etc and internalized them. I do not interrupt when people tell me stuff and actively listen to what they say. And then I ask them questions which entices them to tell me more stuff. I do not have the heart to say "look, why are you telling all that stuff etc."

A couple of years ago, this desi girl at workplace was telling she was missing her periods when I was having lunch with her. Then there was this white woman who was telling me that her sister's husband had a heart attack while making love.

Decades ago, I was in Ooty for a job interview at Hindustan photo factory. There was another candidate from Bangalore. We just went for a walk. After about 15 minutes, he told me that he dumped his wife and then his BILs came to his workplace with goondas and threatened him.

I still remember an Iyengar fellow telling me stuff which is right out of sex novels. His name was Rangagrajan. He was in his late twenties. He told me when he was 17 and growing up in Sri Rangam, he had another Iyengar family as neighbors. There was a 55 year old Maami who had a son, a medical rep who was in his thirties. He was travelling all over the state. One day, when her son was away, the Maami called Ranga and asked him to massage her legs because she was having pain there. Ranga obliged. Then he says after a few minutes, she simply pulled her saree up all the way. I do not have to tell you what happened next.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Rishi, here's me wishing people keep telling u stuff about them and u keep posting here.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Rishi
The suspense is killing me.
that white women's bil, did he get heart attack while making lover to her sister or to her? If it is to her sister, it is a common place ooccurrence and is widely known. If it is her, my admiration to you increased ten fold for your ability to tease out such intimate details from an opposite sec person.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:26 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

HA,

rishi, i suspect, also has a very vivid imagination. i am his fan, whether his stories are true or not. rishi, you should start a column on these 'interesting' people you seem to meet all the time.

i am okay with secrets but it's the unnecessary, gory details that make me cringe and a lot of times, the visuals that pop up in my head are very disturbing. sometimes, when i know that the person is fibbing, it is very hard to maintain a straight face and pretend that you believe it all.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Rishi wrote:

>>> CD,

In a way you are right. Whether in India or anywhere, people have told me all kinds of stuff which goes on in their personal lives.

Sometimes even strangers reveal some stuff about their lives within 30 minutes of meeting me.

I still remember an Iyengar fellow telling me stuff which is right out of sex novels. His name was Rangagrajan. He was in his late twenties. He told me when he was 17 and growing up in Sri Rangam, he had another Iyengar family as neighbors.  There was a 55 year old Maami who had a son, a medical rep who was in his thirties. He was travelling all over the state. One day, when her son was away,  the Maami called Ranga and asked him to massage her legs because she was having pain there.  Ranga obliged. Then he says after a few minutes, she simply pulled her saree up all the way. I do not have to tell you what happened next.

Hahahahaa....I read a story EXACTLY like this in kumudam - again decades ago (same age, boy, son, leg pain, massage, etc..etc....) Are you sure you are not internalizing all these pseudo-sex stories from Kumudam?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down