Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how ranganthar was hidden from ulugh khan - thiruvarangan ulA

4 posters

Go down

how ranganthar was hidden from ulugh khan - thiruvarangan ulA Empty how ranganthar was hidden from ulugh khan - thiruvarangan ulA

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:20 am

http://sweetkaramcoffee.blogspot.com/2005/05/journey-into-history-thiruvarangan-ula.html

this is a historically important book worthy of translation into english. i remembered it when someone mentioned it to me over a phone conversation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

how ranganthar was hidden from ulugh khan - thiruvarangan ulA Empty Re: how ranganthar was hidden from ulugh khan - thiruvarangan ulA

Post by b_A Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 am

I don't know about the rest of the post, but this is false.

"while Tirupati Balaji had his prayers rendered in Telugu."

b_A

Back to top Go down

how ranganthar was hidden from ulugh khan - thiruvarangan ulA Empty Re: how ranganthar was hidden from ulugh khan - thiruvarangan ulA

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:33 am

b_A wrote:I don't know about the rest of the post, but this is false.

"while Tirupati Balaji had his prayers rendered in Telugu."  

ok i don't know about that, but i am pretty sure that is not from the book which i remember reading many years ago. that's the blogger's own remark. the book belongs in the genre of historical fiction. it narrates the story of how the main deity of sri rangam  was hidden and was moved often to prevent detection by the invading hordes and was reinstalled only after the danger had abated completely.

tamilians will better know the author venugopalan through his nom de plume pushpa thangadurai. he wrote many whodunits lightly laced with sex in tamil as pushpa thangadurai.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:39 am

he passed away recently:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/noted-literary-figure-pushpa-thangadurai-passes-away/article5335630.ece
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://sweetkaramcoffee.blogspot.com/2005/05/journey-into-history-thiruvarangan-ula.html

this is a historically important book worthy of translation into english. i remembered it when someone mentioned it to me over a phone conversation.

This is a mischievous book, considering it is historical fiction--designed to spread hatred between communities.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://sweetkaramcoffee.blogspot.com/2005/05/journey-into-history-thiruvarangan-ula.html

This is a mischievous book, considering it is historical fiction--designed to spread hatred between communities.

have you read it or are you as usual passing gas through your keyboard? i can't imagine any sense in which it can be characterized as spreading hatred. it is true that the sri rangam deity was hidden and transported from place to place to prevent destruction by invaders. venugopalan wrote about it. which part of it do you not agree with?

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Rashmun wrote:

There is a lot of truth to the muslim invaders invading and plundering hindu temples, stealing their treasures, taking away their deities, etc. One need not suppress the facts in the name of not spreading hatred between communities (which is being done till now). History shouldn't be distorted or suppressed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

There is a lot of truth to the muslim invaders invading and plundering hindu temples, stealing their treasures, taking away their deities, etc. One need not suppress the facts in the name of not spreading hatred between communities (which is being done till now). History shouldn't be distorted or suppressed.

But this is not factual history; it is historical fiction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

have you read it or are you as usual passing gas through your keyboard? i can't imagine any sense in which it can be characterized as spreading hatred. it is true that the sri rangam deity was hidden and transported from place to place to prevent destruction by invaders. venugopalan wrote about it. which part of it do you not agree with?

I object to sensationalizing this historical fact, if indeed it is a historical fact through the medium of historical fiction.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

he wrote it in the style developed by kalki krishnamurthy who wrote ponniyin selvan which is historical fiction based on raja raja cholan's life. he rigorously adhered to all the known facts and stated them as such and filled in missing unknown parts of the story with fiction. and he wrote a meticulous afterword in which he separates fact from fiction. same with this book.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Did muslims destroy temples and build mosques over it or not ?

FACT or FICTION ?

Dont give any diversionary or circumventing answers. JUST one word answer.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

FACT or FICTION ?

Dont give any diversionary or circumventing answers.  JUST  one word answer.

The early Muslim invaders did destroy and loot temples. The later Muslim kings like the Mughals gave funding for building new temples and gave financial support for the maintainance of many existing temples.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

he wrote it in the style developed by kalki krishnamurthy who wrote ponniyin selvan which is historical fiction based on raja raja cholan's life. he rigorously adhered to all the known facts and stated them as such and filled in missing unknown parts of the story with fiction. and he wrote a meticulous afterword in which he separates fact from fiction. same with this book.

Except that the historical facts are often disputed to this day when it comes to sensitive themes like temple destruction by Muslims.

http://www.frontline.in/static/html/fl1725/17250620.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

FACT or FICTION ?

Dont give any diversionary or circumventing answers.  JUST  one word answer.

The early Muslim invaders did destroy and loot temples. The later Muslim kings like the Mughals gave funding for building new temples and gave financial support for the maintainance of many existing temples.

Thank you.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Except that the historical facts are often disputed to this day when it comes to sensitive themes like temple destruction by Muslims.

now you are moving the goal post. you made a very specific charge and now have moved on to generalities. i don't see how you can make a statement like what you made in your original post without having ever read the book. no scratch reading it, you hadn't even heard of it before i mentioned it here. do you realize why i think you sound asinine when you make such stupid statements?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Tiruchirapalli/koil-ozhugu-authentic-documentation-of-history/article2774682.ece
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

now you are moving the goal post. you made a very specific charge and now have moved on to generalities. i don't see how you can make a statement like what you made in your original post without having ever read the book. no scratch reading it, you hadn't even heard of it before i mentioned it here. do you realize why i think you sound asinine when you make such stupid statements?

I would react in the same manner--revulsion--if someone were to write historical fiction about the Hindu King Sasanka of Bengal cutting down the sacred tree under which the Budha attained enlightenment and persecuting Budhists. Ditto for the Hindu king Harsha of Kashmir who destroyed several Budhist monasteries.

Since the historical facts are often disputed when it comes to themes like temple destruction a writer cannot just write a book on Srirangam and then point out which parts of his book are history and which is fiction. In this specific case I am fairly confident that it would be well nigh impossible to know for certain where all the temple idol was taken around all over India and for how long even if we concede that the idol was temporarily hidden.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Tiruchirapalli/koil-ozhugu-authentic-documentation-of-history/article2774682.ece

Why are you giving all these links ? Who are you trying to convince ?

Think...and think hard.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I would react in the same manner--revulsion--if someone were to write historical fiction about the Hindu King Sasanka of Bengal cutting down the sacred tree under which the Budha attained enlightenment and persecuting Budhists. Ditto for the Hindu king Harsha of Kashmir who destroyed several Budhist monasteries.

Since the historical facts are often disputed when it comes to themes like temple destruction a writer cannot just write a book on Srirangam and then point out which parts of his book are history and which is fiction. In this specific case I am fairly confident that it would be well nigh impossible to know for certain where all the temple idol was taken around all over India and for how long even if we concede that the idol was temporarily hidden.

ok this is another of your classic idiocies which will go onto twenty five pages minimum. for me the fact that you hadn't even heard of the book before issuing a criticism is sufficient to ignore anything you may have to say about this matter.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

ok this is another of your classic idiocies which will go onto twenty five pages minimum. for me the fact that you hadn't even heard of the book before issuing a criticism is sufficient to ignore anything you may have to say about this matter.

My view is a tentative view. Prima facie the book seems to be designed to spread hatred between communities just like a novel glorifying the Hindu king Sasanka who cut down the sacred tree under which the Budha attained enlightenment would be designed to create tensions between Hindus and Budhists.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 pm

i am reminded of the mullahs in pakistan and elsewhere denouncing the satanic verses without having read a single word of it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am reminded of the mullahs in pakistan and elsewhere denouncing the satanic verses without having read a single word of it.

Mullahs were calling for Rushdie's head. I am not doing that. I am simply denouncing the glorification of anything that seeks to divide two communities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am reminded of the mullahs in pakistan and elsewhere denouncing the satanic verses without having read a single word of it.

Mullahs were calling for Rushdie's head. I am not doing that. I am simply denouncing the glorification of anything that seeks to divide two communities.
What/who is the book glorifying again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Rashmun,

Why quarrel with history?

Should we avoid talking what really happened in the past just because some Muslims will start a riot?

It is a fact Malik Kafur pillaged and looted parts of South India.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Rishi wrote:Rashmun,

Why quarrel with  history?

Should we avoid talking what really happened in the past just because some Muslims will start a riot?

I am not objecting to factual history of what happened in these kind of issues. I am objecting to "historical fiction" on these kind of issues since these have the potential to spread hatred between communities in a mischievous manner because of the introduction of falsehoods interspersed with historical facts. At any rate I am voicing my democratic right in this matter. Those who like reading about material which spreads hatred between communities are welcome to do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Rashmun wrote:

I am not objecting to factual history of what happened in these kind of issues. I am objecting to "historical fiction" on these kind of issues since these have the potential to spread hatred between communities in a mischievous manner because of the introduction of falsehoods interspersed with historical facts. At any rate I am voicing my democratic right in this matter. Those who like reading about material which spreads hatred between communities are welcome to do so.

there is no spreading hatred in the book whatsoever. spreading hatred would be demonizing entire communities based on the actions of a few people. the focus of the book is how the idol was saved from destruction by an invading king by vaishnavite bhaktas. there is nothing in it about islam or muslims.  the book is about love, about the love of human beings for a divine power they believe in and the actions they took under difficult circumstances to preserve something that was dear to them. only a diseased mind would look upon a work like that as spreading hatred! i must say your avatar (i assume it is narendra modi) suits you.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Max, Rishi, Saamiyaar, Kinnera et al, how would you react if a Sinhalese writer wrote "historical fiction" about Rajaraja Chola and Rajendra Chola destroying Budhist stupas and Budhist viharas in Sri Lanka, and indulging in mass murder, looting and plunder and generally portrayed as cruel and bloodthirsty tyrants with no respect for the religious beliefs of others with the caveat that the book is not a history book but "historical fiction" i.e. it contains falsehoods interspersed with historical facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

there is no spreading hatred in the book whatsoever. spreading hatred would be demonizing entire communities based on the actions of a few people. the focus of the book is how the idol was saved from destruction by an invading king by vaishnavite bhaktas. there is nothing in it about islam or muslims.  the book is about love, about the love of human beings for a divine power they believe in and the actions they took under difficult circumstances to preserve something that was dear to them. only a diseased mind would look upon a work like that as spreading hatred!
 Well, according to Rashmun, that's glorification: glorification of the hindu divine power and the glorification of the bhaktas who tried to save the Ranganatha swamy's idol and all this is going to offend the muslims and spread hatred between the two communities.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:Max, Rishi, Saamiyaar, Kinnera et al, how would you react if a Sinhalese writer wrote "historical fiction" about Rajaraja Chola and Rajendra Chola destroying Budhist stupas and Budhist viharas in Sri Lanka, and indulging in mass murder, looting and plunder and generally portrayed as cruel and bloodthirsty tyrants with no respect for the religious beliefs others with the caveat that the book is not a history book but "historical fiction" i.e. it contains falsehoods interspersed with historical facts.

firstly i never claimed raja rajan was a saint of any kind. he was a human being with flaws. secondly, so long as the author portrays what he writes as historical fiction and takes pains to point out fact from fiction i will have no problems whatsoever. this is the time honored tradition of historical fiction in many cultures.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Rashmun wrote:Max, Rishi, Saamiyaar, Kinnera et al, how would you react if a Sinhalese writer wrote "historical fiction" about Rajaraja Chola and Rajendra Chola destroying Budhist stupas and Budhist viharas in Sri Lanka, and indulging in mass murder, looting and plunder and generally portrayed as cruel and bloodthirsty tyrants with no respect for the religious beliefs of others with the caveat that the book is not a history book but "historical fiction" i.e. it contains falsehoods interspersed with historical facts.
It should be condemned if such a book is written. Is the book that Max mentioned glorifying the muslim invaders for plundering, looting and destroying hindu temples and idols? I don't think so. i don't think it's glorifying the ones who did those gory acts.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:17 pm

from what i remember from my long ago reading of the book, the invasion is just a historical background as is ulugh khan. nearly all of the book deals with the actual movement of the idol from place to place and the characters charged with protecting the moorthy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:19 pm

What follows is from the blog whose link Max gave earlier in the thread. Notice the absurdity and completely evident falsehood that is mentioned in the blog with respect to the fact that Muslim kings took the idol to Delhi and kept him for an year before he was brought back to South India and taken around different cities in secrecy before being placed again in the temple from where he had been taken originally. Does it make any sense for muslim invaders to take away the idol to Delhi and store him for an entire year? This interspersing of fiction and falsehood with historical truth is what I object to since it breeds fanaticism and inflames emotions on the basis of cheap lies and falsehoods.

----

In the fourteenth century, the Sultans from the North turned their eyes to the South, eyeing particularly the Hindu temples to plunder their abundant wealth. The Tamil kings were running puppet & weak regimes and Hoysala & Pandya kingdoms were just symbolic and mutely submitted to the Khiljis & Tughlaks. Lord Ranganatha from Srirangam was forcefully taken away to Delhi and kept for about a year, when some of the devadasis helped a rich devotee regain the idol and bring it back to Srirangam. About 40 years later, Mohammed-Bin-Tughlak and his strong army surrounded the gates of Srirangam to take the Idol away.... and that was when the Lord started his grand tour.

For the next 50 years, the Lord was kept hidden from the Moslem kings. The North Indian Moslem kings and later the Bahmini Sultans continued their desparate search for the Idol. For the people of South, Lord Ranaganatha was more than Idol of a God - he was the symbol of their hope, their freedom. And those souls who had entrusted themselves with the sacred job of saving their God, it was a holy suicidal task.

Lord Ranganatha travelled from Srirangam through the following route - Azhagar Koil, Madurai, Ettayapuram, Azhvar Thirunagari, Nagercoil, Trivandrum, Kollam, Kozhikode, Sathyamangalam - where he was lost for 20 years.. and after recovery, he travelled to Tirupati where he was retained for 10 years and finally back to Srirangam. The first kings of the Vijayanagara Empire defeated the Bahmini Sultans and brought Lord Ranganatha back to Srirangam from Tirupati and reinstated the Lord with grand celebrations

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:from what i remember from my long ago reading of the book, the invasion is just a historical background as is ulugh khan. nearly all of the book deals with the actual movement of the idol from place to place and the characters charged with protecting the moorthy.
Rasmun's peeved is that the muslim invaders are shown in a bad light, even if briefly, because even that is going to offend the muslims and create tensions between the two communities. It's not right on the part of hindus to talk about such things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:from what i remember from my long ago reading of the book, the invasion is just a historical background as is ulugh khan. nearly all of the book deals with the actual movement of the idol from place to place and the characters charged with protecting the moorthy.
Rasmun's peeved is that the muslim invaders are shown in a bad light, even if briefly, because even that is going to offend the muslims and create tensions between the two communities. It's not right on the part of hindus to talk about such things.

You are permitted to talk about these things on the basis of truth, not on the basis of falsehoods.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:What follows is from the blog whose link Max gave earlier in the thread. Notice the absurdity and completely evident falsehood that is mentioned in the blog with respect to the fact that Muslim kings took the idol to Delhi and kept him for an year before he was brought back to South India and taken around different cities in secrecy before being placed again in the temple from where he had been taken originally. Does it make any sense for muslim invaders to take away the idol to Delhi and store him for an entire year? This interspersing of fiction and falsehood with historical truth is what I object to since it breeds fanaticism and inflames emotions on the basis of cheap lies and falsehoods.

----

In the fourteenth century, the Sultans from the North turned their eyes to the South, eyeing particularly the Hindu temples to plunder their abundant wealth. The Tamil kings were running puppet & weak regimes and Hoysala & Pandya kingdoms were just symbolic and mutely submitted to the Khiljis & Tughlaks. Lord Ranganatha from Srirangam was forcefully taken away to Delhi and kept for about a year, when some of the devadasis helped a rich devotee regain the idol and bring it back to Srirangam. About 40 years later, Mohammed-Bin-Tughlak and his strong army surrounded the gates of Srirangam to take the Idol away.... and that was when the Lord started his grand tour.

For the next 50 years, the Lord was kept hidden from the Moslem kings. The North Indian Moslem kings and later the Bahmini Sultans continued their desparate search for the Idol. For the people of South, Lord Ranaganatha was more than Idol of a God - he was the symbol of their hope, their freedom. And those souls who had entrusted themselves with the sacred job of saving their God, it was a holy suicidal task.

Lord Ranganatha travelled from Srirangam through the following route - Azhagar Koil, Madurai, Ettayapuram, Azhvar Thirunagari, Nagercoil, Trivandrum, Kollam, Kozhikode, Sathyamangalam - where he was lost for 20 years.. and after recovery, he travelled to Tirupati where he was retained for 10 years and finally back to Srirangam. The first kings of the Vijayanagara Empire defeated the Bahmini Sultans and brought Lord Ranganatha back to Srirangam from Tirupati and reinstated the Lord with grand celebrations

i am not sure if the transport to delhi of the idol is part of the actual book or the blogger's own interpretation of the history of the events surrounding the idol.  i only posted that blog because there aren't very many sources about the book on the internet written in english. i for one don't remember this part of the story from the book. in any case, like i said, more than 90% of the book is only about the idol and its care by the bhaktas and the islamic invasion is only historical background. the central characters are the idol itself and its caretakers.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Rashmun wrote:What follows is from the blog whose link Max gave earlier in the thread. Notice the absurdity and completely evident falsehood that is mentioned in the blog with respect to the fact that Muslim kings took the idol to Delhi and kept him for an year before he was brought back to South India and taken around different cities in secrecy before being placed again in the temple from where he had been taken originally. Does it make any sense for muslim invaders to take away the idol to Delhi and store him for an entire year? This interspersing of fiction and falsehood with historical truth is what I object to since it breeds fanaticism and inflames emotions on the basis of cheap lies and falsehoods.

----

There is historical evidence about the Ranganatha swamy's and many other idols being stolen/plundered by the muslim invaders. We still get to see the spot where Ranganatha swamy's idol was place at the tirupati temple.

Pls visit Hampi on your next visit to India.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:27 pm

anyway the people to whom this mattered, the sri vaishnavites have honored the author by giving him a procession around sri rangam on the temple elephant.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Kinnera wrote:

----

There is historical evidence about the Ranganatha swamy's and many other idols being stolen/plundered by the muslim invaders. We still get to see the spot where Ranganatha swamy's idol was place at the tirupati temple.

that is absolutely true. it is called the ranganathar mandapam.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Kinnera wrote:

----

So you agree that the idol was stolen by Muslim invaders from Delhi who took it away and stored it carefully in Delhi for an entire year before the idol was somehow brought back to South India from where it was taken to various places before finally being installed in the temple from where it had been originally taken ?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:35 pm

about this delhi business, i don't know what the truth is, but the wiki page for the temple has it listed as historical fact and gives a couple of references (20 & 21):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Ranganathaswamy_Temple,_Srirangam
and associated with it, there is even a nice juicy synthu story for rashmun.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:about this delhi business, i don't know what the truth is, but the wiki page for the temple has it listed as historical fact and gives a couple of references (20 & 21):

This reads like a Conan the Barbarian story rather than a sober historical account. For all we know the sources are also "historical fiction" or else they are openly or covertly accepting and substituting mythology for history.
----

During the period of invasion by Malik Kafur and his forces in 1310–1311, the idol of the deity was stolen and taken to Delhi. In a daring exploit, devotees of Srirangam ventured to Delhi and enthralled the emperor with their histrionics. Moved by their talent, the emperor was pleased to gift them the presiding deity of Srirangam, which was requested by the performers. Things took a drastic turn immediately. Surathani, his daughter, had fallen in love with the deity and followed him to Srirangam. She prostrated herself to the God in front of the sanctum sanctorum and is believed to have attained the heavenly abode immediately. Even today, a painting of "Surathani" (known as Thulukha Nachiyar in Tamil) can be seen in her shrine near the Arjuna Mandap adjacent to the sanctum sanctorum for whom, chappathis (wheat bread) are made daily.[20][21] The kalyana utsavam or wedding of Lord ranganathar with Surathani is performed with great pomp every year.[22]
Having assumed that the magical power of the deity had killed his daughter, there was a more severe second invasion to Srirangam in 1323 AD. The presiding deity was taken away before the Malik Kafur's troops reached Srirangam by a group led by the vaishnavite Acharaya (Guru), Pillai Lokacharyar, who died en route to Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu. The Goddess Renganayaki was taken in another separate procession. Swami Vedanta Desika, instrumental in planning the operations during the siege of the temple, closed the sanctum sanctorum of the temple with bricks, after the processions of the presiding deities had left, thereby protected the temple for generations to come. 13,000 Sri Vaishnavas, the people of Srirangam,[23] laid down their lives in the fierce battle to ensure that the institution was protected. In the end, Devadasis, the danseuse of Srirangam, seduced the army chief, to save the temple.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Kinnera, with respect to Hampi, this is what I had written earlier:

When the Vijayanagar kingdom was conquered, an important Vishnu temple was
destroyed by the conquerors while an important Shiva temple was spared.
Why was this done? I wrote about this earlier:

Initially, Virupaksha (considered a form of Shiva) was
the family deity and also the state deity of Vijaynagar.Important state
transactions were formalized in the presence of Virupaksha. Then there
was a period in which Vishnu started becoming important to the
Vijaynagar rulers. A Lord Ram temple was built and Lord Venkateshwara
was ardently patronized during this period, but important state
transactions continued to be formalized in the presence of Virupaksha
during this period.

Finally from 1516 to 1565 (1565 being the date for
the battle of Talikota), the vast majority of state transactions were
finalized (witnessed and authenticated) before the Vaisnava God
Vitthala. This seems to be the reason why the Vitthala temple was
destroyed, and the Virupaksha temple spared; the idea being that the
state deity--being a visible representative of the state--had to be
destroyed to crush the morale of the people and force them to accept the
defeat of the state. Destroying the state temple or looting the main
image of the state deity kept in the state temple was standard practice
in dealing with a defeated enemy even in pre-muslim India; the caveat
being that in pre-muslim India, the looting of the state deity seems to
have occured a lot more frequently than the destruction of the entire
state temple.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:about this delhi business, i don't know what the truth is, but the wiki page for the temple has it listed as historical fact and gives a couple of references (20 & 21):

This reads like a Conan the Barbarian story rather than a sober historical account. For all we know the sources are also "historical fiction" or else they are openly or covertly accepting and substituting mythology for history.
----

During the period of invasion by Malik Kafur and his forces in 1310–1311, the idol of the deity was stolen and taken to Delhi. In a daring exploit, devotees of Srirangam ventured to Delhi and enthralled the emperor with their histrionics. Moved by their talent, the emperor was pleased to gift them the presiding deity of Srirangam, which was requested by the performers. Things took a drastic turn immediately. Surathani, his daughter, had fallen in love with the deity and followed him to Srirangam. She prostrated herself to the God in front of the sanctum sanctorum and is believed to have attained the heavenly abode immediately. Even today, a painting of "Surathani" (known as Thulukha Nachiyar in Tamil) can be seen in her shrine near the Arjuna Mandap adjacent to the sanctum sanctorum for whom, chappathis (wheat bread) are made daily.[20][21] The kalyana utsavam or wedding of Lord ranganathar with Surathani is performed with great pomp every year.[22]
Having assumed that the magical power of the deity had killed his daughter, there was a more severe second invasion to Srirangam in 1323 AD. The presiding deity was taken away before the Malik Kafur's troops reached Srirangam by a group led by the vaishnavite Acharaya (Guru), Pillai Lokacharyar, who died en route to Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu. The Goddess Renganayaki was taken in another separate procession. Swami Vedanta Desika, instrumental in planning the operations during the siege of the temple, closed the sanctum sanctorum of the temple with bricks, after the processions of the presiding deities had left, thereby protected the temple for generations to come. 13,000 Sri Vaishnavas, the people of Srirangam,[23] laid down their lives in the fierce battle to ensure that the institution was protected. In the end, Devadasis, the danseuse of Srirangam, seduced the army chief, to save the temple.

So the second invasion of srirangam was launched after the King of Delhi's daughter died or was killed in Srirangam as per the Wikipedia reference given by Max.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down