Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chennai, the most progressive city in South Asia

+5
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Maria S
MaxEntropy_Man
Rishi
9 posters

Go down

Chennai, the most progressive city in South Asia Empty Chennai, the most progressive city in South Asia

Post by Rishi Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:53 pm

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/how-awesome-is-this-the-elderly-in-chennai-get-a-second-chance-at-companionship-select-their-own-livein-life-partners/452575-79.html

>>> Most of the people in the picture are Iyers.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Chennai, the most progressive city in South Asia Empty Re: Chennai, the most progressive city in South Asia

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Mcafee says "woah do you want to go there?" what the heck did you post rishi?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Chennai, the most progressive city in South Asia Empty Re: Chennai, the most progressive city in South Asia

Post by Rishi Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 pm

How awesome is this? The elderly in Chennai get a second chance at companionship, select their own live-in life partners

At a time when the world is revising its prejudices, India has shown signs of terrific openness and maturity by letting the elderly in Chennai get a second shot at happiness. Senior citizens were recently seen participating in a programme to get an another chance to select a live-in partner in this PTI
Photo.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Here is anothe article

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-12-27/chennai/45625555_1_live-in-relationships-senior-citizens-marriage

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Rishi wrote:
How awesome is this? The elderly in Chennai get a second chance at companionship, select their own live-in life partners

At a time when the world is revising its prejudices, India has shown signs of terrific openness and maturity by letting the elderly in Chennai get a second shot at happiness. Senior citizens were recently seen participating in a programme to get an another chance to select a live-in partner in this PTI
Photo.

It's great! 

But how come when the world is revising it's prejudices and India is showing signs of maturity... Sara Rishi still sees only Iyers in the pic? And I don't!
Well, may be my tribal, clan, caste radar is off! And the eyes behold what they want to behold..so even for companionship when one is Uppili's age, one has to stick to "one's own"Smile Well, Uppili may have a radar too, but I think he is progressive enough..to enjoy the company, I mean companionship of any nice looking lady! 

Hope you know people do age..no matter, which clan, tribe, caste they are from..and there a lot of really nice "independent-assisted and group living places" with excellent care in Chennai..all they care about is..how much one can pay!  Of course that determines the type of care, at least there are many more options now..for older people, especially when the spouse has passed away, and stuck in families, where children are not so caring and try to control them.

Anyways Sara..whether you see the individual trees or just the forest..I always see you as an individual tree! Hope you did not have too many problems with all the snow..
take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Hmm....

Horny Iyers!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Rishi wrote:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/how-awesome-is-this-the-elderly-in-chennai-get-a-second-chance-at-companionship-select-their-own-livein-life-partners/452575-79.html

Live-in partner? second chance?....Wowwww.. I ain't that dumb... Kasikku payium Saniswaran vidalai - kathai thaan idhu...

I thought iyers were smart. Looks like they have also been dumbed down....enough to go for a live-in partner. Goundars are much smarter....we date wonly...

This song came to my mind...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Note I said company first:)

Wonder how this process works?

Is it like picking roommates for a college dorm (look at profile and pics) or speed dating, where they meet several people and pick one!Or is it "arranged" live-ins?

In the US, in general..from what I have seen..they first live alone or have double occupancy rooms/suites with same gender roommates..then if they meet someone and fall in love (!) they may request to live together..although rare, some marry too. In most homes men are of high demand for "company" of course.. (since women live longer than men) and the women have to be "golden dream girls"..to make them remain monogamous!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Maria S wrote:Note I said company first:)

Wonder how this process works?

Is it like picking roommates for a college dorm (look at profile and pics) or speed dating, where they meet several people and pick one!Or is it "arranged" live-ins?

In the US, in general..from what I have seen..they first live alone or have double occupancy rooms/suites with same gender roommates..then if they meet someone and fall in love (!) they may request to live together..although rare, some marry too. In most homes men are of high demand for "company" of course.. (since women live longer than men) and the women have to be "golden dream girls"..to make them remain monogamous!

aiyO... engaeyO poiteenga, mariakka! good to hear from you- so refreshing, i must add Smile 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Thank you Garam thambi:)

I tried not to go there..but, Sara started it! 

All kidding aside..am sure we all have to face aging-aging parents dilemmas..as we live longer, with extended-joint family traditions rapidly changing..not to mention us-children abroad, all kinds of human needs, economic needs, social-interaction needs force families to look into options (depending on the personalities of elders, financial resources and their health status etc). My mother is fiercely independent..and wants to live alone as long as she can..it's tough to trust one or two people..have a group of people- watching each other- as they assist her- as much as she allows them to!

You have always been kind to me "as Garam", and I appreciate that! No need to know more;)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:06 pm

maria - curiosity question. have you ever watched a serpent handling service in a southern pentacostal church?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Rishi wrote:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/how-awesome-is-this-the-elderly-in-chennai-get-a-second-chance-at-companionship-select-their-own-livein-life-partners/452575-79.html

why do you think so?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:59 pm

No, I have not Max!

Do I seem like a serpent handling pentecostal church member?!  

Just kidding..curiosity in this case is perfectly fine! If you mean in the Southern US..I have not attended rural pentecostal Churches here. In Southern TN..I have attended pentecostal Chruches, when I was a kid. The faith healing practices and "speaking in tongues" was intriguing and frightening. I don't want to be completely dismissive of all  practices (can't explain very rare medical miracles), but obviously, much of it is a show..and some of it is irrational behavior.

Religious practices aside, have seen people up close who handle snakes (as entertainers) ..sooner or later they are inevitably bitten..some survive.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Maria S wrote:No, I have not Max!

Do I seem like a serpent handling pentecostal church member?!  

Just kidding..curiosity in this case is perfectly fine! If you mean in the Southern US..I have not attended rural pentecostal Churches here. In Southern TN..I have attended pentecostal Chruches, when I was a kid. The faith healing practices and "speaking in tongues" was intriguing and frightening. I don't want to be completely dismissive of all  practices (can't explain very rare medical miracles), but obviously, much of it is a show..and some of it is irrational behavior.

Religious practices aside, have seen people up close who handle snakes (as entertainers) ..sooner or later they are inevitably bitten..some survive.

i meant no insult at all. just pure curiosity. these pentecostal services, serpent handling aside are intriguing. some of them are filled with just music that pervades one's system and filled with joy, like so:

i'd like to participate in one of these and sing aloud.

and then there's the absolutely frightening (like you say) and crazy ones like so (it's frightening even without serpents):

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 pm

It's kind of nice and amusing to see your interest, Max!

Although, am a prim and proper Episcopalian/CSI member, occasionally attend Gospel singing concerts and the first video you posted is the more common Black Baptist Church experience every Sunday! The songs are joyful- intoxicating for some time (manathil enna kavalai irudhalum koncha neram ella vatraiyum maranthu irukkum oru anubavam..)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:45 pm

This is one habit I can't give up..

*post bombing*

Maria dawlingggggggg, how goes it?? alls well I hope?

*ok as you were guys*

*and scene*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Hello Silly:)

I am doing okay, thanks for asking dear!

You seem familiar..not sure, if we interacted, but, good to meet you- meet you again...I like your bubbly persona. 

"As we were"Smile We were talking about serpents..that's enough snake talk for now!

Have to go..will try to come back tomorrow.

Good night Krithi!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Mauni Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Similarities:

1st one:

2nd one:

No matter the religion, no matter what name you call god, no matter the controlled emotions or the freakish wild acts.....what matters is the bhakti bhava or a sense of surrender.

Mauni

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 pm

bw wrote:

why do you think so?

>>The man in yellow shirt seems to be an Iyer IMO. But other than that, I am not sure.

Since I already have the reputation of being casteist and caste obsessed, I try to include caste in my postings just to get some people riled up.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mauni Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Good thing!

Mauni

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Live-in partner?  second chance?....Wowwww.. I ain't that dumb... Kasikku payium Saniswaran vidalai - kathai thaan idhu...

I thought iyers were smart. Looks like they have also been dumbed down....enough to go for a live-in partner.  Goundars are much smarter....we date wonly...

This song came to my mind...

>>> This is the very best song by Seerkazhi Govindarajan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QroxeC_HQ6k

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down