Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mast mast

3 posters

Go down

mast mast Empty mast mast

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 pm

mrs.bagchi posted a song earlier which is a knockoff of this original which i like very much. i am not sure why she deleted it. here is the original:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

mast mast Empty Re: mast mast

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:59 pm

better quality:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:04 pm

that's one weird live version! what is that man on stage doing. is he flinging currency notes at the maestro? what an insulting gesture!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:05 pm

ya i like this too. i deleted my post coz the video-sound seemed out of sync in that video, so i thot i will post another and then lost interest.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:19 pm

It is their style/culture of appreciation of the music/artist. I have seen similar practices in in some other videos from that region. May be same as giving shawls or gifts in other cultures/regions.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:26 pm

I have seen it only in family functions , wedding, etc.(in strictly north india - not maharashtra, etc - my ex-inlaws hate this practice about NIs). Like say if there is a dholki or a small band and someone from the family (specially a fave) is dancing or singing, some adult(s) will take some bills, run it over the performer's head and give that money to the dholki. This is sort of a tip for the accompanying musicians. I am not exactly sure why they do that. I think the phera over the head is done as a token of - this is from this person to you, or something like taking down the 'nazar' (evil eye) that so much attention can bring upon the family favorite performer. Has happened with me e'time I have gotten up to dance.

However, I have not seen them showering it like that on professionals. Might be the same logic there too but ya, does look odd.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:I have seen it only in family functions , wedding, etc.(in strictly north india - not maharashtra, etc - my ex-inlaws hate this practice about NIs). Like say if there is a dholki or a small band and someone from the family (specially a fave) is dancing or singing, some adult(s) will take some bills, run it over the performer's head and give that money to the dholki. This is sort of a tip for the accompanying musicians. I am not exactly sure why they do that. I think the phera over the head is done as a token of - this is from this person to you, or something like taking down the 'nazar' (evil eye) that so much attention can bring upon the family favorite performer. Has happened with me e'time I have gotten up to dance.

However, I have not seen them showering it like that on professionals. Might be the same logic there too but ya, does look odd.

->What!! Maharashtrians are not Naarthies

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:55 pm

This reminds me of Runa Laila's 'Dama dam mast kalandar' that I grew up listening to (hyd doordarshan  used to play that over and over again. can't find the original video now):

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum