Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google vs. Apple - top brass

2 posters

Go down

Google vs. Apple - top brass Empty Google vs. Apple - top brass

Post by Kris Wed May 07, 2014 9:30 pm

I thought Google was changing its tune too, of late. Maybe the upper echelons were hired before the change of mind. Oh, a bunch of Indians in it too. I went to school with a Sridhar Ramaswamy, smart guy. My first inclination was it was him, but the pics I googled up don't seem to match, unless he has changed a lot.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/11/27/why-does-google-crave-elites-for-their-management-team-while-apple-eschews-them/

Kris

Back to top Go down

Google vs. Apple - top brass Empty Re: Google vs. Apple - top brass

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu May 08, 2014 9:19 am

imo, the talent at apple succeeded largely because they worked for a once in a century genius steve jobs. put them elsewhere and they may not rise to the top. regardless of what people say about ivy leaguers and it's true they're generally assholes with a entitlement mentality, but they will usually rise to the top. I realize am ignoring other factors in the rise to the top such as existing network and biases of those in power but it's usually the case.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:imo, the talent at apple succeeded largely because they worked for a once in a century genius steve jobs. put them elsewhere and they may not rise to the top. regardless of what people say about ivy leaguers and it's true they're generally assholes with a entitlement mentality, but they will usually rise to the top. I realize am ignoring other factors in the rise to the top such as existing network and biases of those in power but it's usually the case.
>>>I think there may be something to the late bloomer syndrome and when people get in in the right environments like Apple, they challenge each other. This may of course only apply to a small percentage of the population. With the Ivy leaguers, their smarts are established and they are probably headed for success anyway given that (and of course, the doors opened). The one thing unusual is the timing of this article. Google has recently been making noises about looking for more practical problem solving skills than the traditional model of academic excellence. I don't know how concrete this in terms of day to day practice now, but this story has been making the rounds of late.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu May 08, 2014 11:23 am

Kris wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:imo, the talent at apple succeeded largely because they worked for a once in a century genius steve jobs. put them elsewhere and they may not rise to the top. regardless of what people say about ivy leaguers and it's true they're generally assholes with a entitlement mentality, but they will usually rise to the top. I realize am ignoring other factors in the rise to the top such as existing network and biases of those in power but it's usually the case.
>>>I think there may be something to the late bloomer syndrome and when people get in in the right environments like Apple, they challenge each other. This may of course only apply to a small percentage of the population. With the Ivy leaguers, their smarts are established and they are probably headed for success anyway given that (and of course, the doors opened). The one thing unusual is the timing of this article. Google has recently been making noises about looking for more practical problem solving skills than the traditional model of academic excellence. I don't know how concrete this in terms of day to day practice now, but this story has been making the rounds of late.

apple has been a consumer product company so they need large numbers of creative people from fields other than tech. that in my opinion explains the absence of ivy leaguers in their company. google on other hand is different: you cant really depend on community school dropouts regardless of how creative they are, to understand advanced math and code complex algorithms optimally without solid schooling (those that are usually found in ivy leagues imo)

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down