Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health insurance for visitors from India

+6
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
confuzzled dude
smArtha
Hellsangel
Idéfix
10 posters

Go down

visitor insurance - Health insurance for visitors from India Empty Health insurance for visitors from India

Post by Idéfix Mon May 12, 2014 5:04 pm

I need to get medical insurance for parents visiting from India. I would like to buy the insurance here in the US, so I don't have to deal with filing claims and tracking reimbursements, in case they end up needing to see a doctor. Any recommendations?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

visitor insurance - Health insurance for visitors from India Empty Re: Health insurance for visitors from India

Post by Hellsangel Mon May 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Are you looking for anecdotal recommendations from people who had to file claims?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

visitor insurance - Health insurance for visitors from India Empty Re: Health insurance for visitors from India

Post by Idéfix Mon May 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Are you looking for anecdotal recommendations from people who had to file claims?
Yeah, any recommendations from people who bought insurance, and had it work well when used, would be awesome.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon May 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Idéfix wrote:I need to get medical insurance for parents visiting from India. I would like to buy the insurance here in the US, so I don't have to deal with filing claims and tracking reimbursements, in case they end up needing to see a doctor. Any recommendations?

www.Insubuy.com - I had used them the last time. Recently, I used a local agent for Atlas America (this is the insurance provider many online sites came up with). This one covers acute onset of pre-existing conditions.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon May 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Are you looking for anecdotal recommendations from people who had to file claims?
Yeah, any recommendations from people who bought insurance, and had it work well when used, would be awesome.
None of them are very useful; choose the one with lowest premium, when it comes to footing the bill they don't cover much you will be paying from your own pocket. I've used kvrao but you've to deal with filing claims I wouldn't bother going through that hassle if the bill is < $1000.00

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon May 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks for the responses, Smartha and CD.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 12, 2014 7:32 pm

knock on wood i have never had to file claims, but i have bought numerous times from patriots insurance.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon May 12, 2014 9:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:knock on wood i have never had to file claims, but i have bought numerous times from patriots insurance.
I had to; visitors insurance covered about 2,000 for 19,000 bill and I ended up negotiating with the hospital for the balance.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 12, 2014 10:51 pm

All these insurance policies are of limited value. For 99.9% 0f desis any condition can be "connected" to pre-existing condition, and the coverage will be denied. Even the ones that cover "acute" onset of pre-existing conditions will be no good. bcz it will cover a HTN patient only for acute onset of elevated BP and may not cover a heart attack or aneurysm or a hemorrhagic stroke arising out of the pre-existing HTN.

Welcome to insurance trickery.

and oh...Good luck.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 am

Idéfix wrote:I need to get medical insurance for parents visiting from India. I would like to buy the insurance here in the US, so I don't have to deal with filing claims and tracking reimbursements, in case they end up needing to see a doctor. Any recommendations?

>>>I have never done this, since my parents stopped coming to the US as they got on in years or that was the reason ostensibly anyway, but I have heard horror stories with many insurance companies not being on the up and up. Do your research thoroughly and ask around for experiences.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Which one have you decide on taking, ide? I am looking for one too. My parents will be here next week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri May 16, 2014 3:21 pm

why dont you guys buy insurance in india itself? I know mahindra etc offer insurance coverage...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 16, 2014 3:22 pm

we bought something called patriot platinum america.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 pm

I don't trust the insurance policies bought in India.

Thanks, max. will look into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

It's not worth spending any money (costs Rs. 25,000 - 50,000 in India) buying that. It doesn't cover much. My sister at one time and a brother at another time bought that when they were visiting their children here. Sister  managed because she is a healthy person. But brother had (and still has) health issues, had to go to a doctor once, and discovered that the insurance he bought didn't cover much. He was praying for the day when he could get back on the plane to India.
The best option for reasonably health visitors is for the hosts to have some doctor friends (if they need a prescription or something).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 16, 2014 3:54 pm

I haven't bought yet... Need to get it done this weekend.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Ide, I chose from this website. It covers for pre-existing conditions to a certain extent.

http://www.kvrao.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon May 19, 2014 4:43 pm

I bought Patriot Platinum as well.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue May 20, 2014 1:10 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:why dont you guys buy insurance in india itself? I know mahindra etc offer insurance coverage...
"Itself?"

Miss Umaaaaaaaaaa!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 6:22 am

swapna wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:why dont you guys buy insurance in india itself? I know mahindra etc offer insurance coverage...
"Itself?"

Miss Umaaaaaaaaaa!

Insomnia from not enough grammar checks, Achachan Ammachi?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down