Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

america dumbs down

+2
indophile
bw
6 posters

Go down

america dumbs down Empty america dumbs down

Post by bw Wed May 21, 2014 7:07 am

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/america-dumbs-down/

"The term “elitist” has become one of the most used, and feared, insults in American life. Even in the country’s halls of higher learning, there is now an ingrained bias that favours the accessible over the exacting."

...reminded me of the SUCH usage of 'elitist' and ouch@cat videos reference

bw

Back to top Go down

america dumbs down Empty Re: america dumbs down

Post by indophile Wed May 21, 2014 7:25 am

How about the SUCH usage of the word "intellectual?"  Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Excellent article, thanks for sharing.

Conservatives like Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh have made an art of celebrating ignorance and dumbness, while attacking data and facts. Back in the day, anti-elitism used to be a leftist trope, but since Reagan it has been appropriated and turned into a fine art by social conservatives.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 21, 2014 12:08 pm

i loved this picture:

america dumbs down MAC20_AMERICANS_CAROUSEL01
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 21, 2014 12:23 pm

That inarticulate legacy didn’t end with George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. Barack Obama, the most cerebral and eloquent American leader in a generation, regularly plays the same card, droppin’ his Gs and dialling down his vocabulary to Hee Haw standards. His ability to convincingly play a hayseed was instrumental in his 2012 campaign against the patrician Mitt Romney; in one of their televised debates the President referenced “folks” 17 times.

You didn't love this part, Il Professor-ai?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Between Modi and Rahul Gandhi, who is an elitist and who is a dumbass?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Kinnera wrote:Between Modi and Rahul Gandhi, who is an elitist and who is a dumbass?
Loss after loss after loss
Everyone reckoned he has no class
So he threw a tantrum to flee
On a ship or a plane to to Italy
And shout "I'm no boss, no boss, no boss"

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 21, 2014 2:07 pm

bw wrote:http://www.macleans.ca/politics/america-dumbs-down/

"The term “elitist” has become one of the most used, and feared, insults in American life. Even in the country’s halls of higher learning, there is now an ingrained bias that favours the accessible over the exacting."

Kansas is such an advanced state...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed May 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

do they accept evolution as a fact or as one of the many theories?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 21, 2014 6:25 pm

bw wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

do they accept evolution as a fact or as one of the many theories?
"Facts are for farts."
-- Uppili on old CH
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
That inarticulate legacy didn’t end with George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. Barack Obama, the most cerebral and eloquent American leader in a generation, regularly plays the same card, droppin’ his Gs and dialling down his vocabulary to Hee Haw standards. His ability to convincingly play a hayseed was instrumental in his 2012 campaign against the patrician Mitt Romney; in one of their televised debates the President referenced “folks” 17 times.

i am not married to a particular ideology or politician like you imagine. in the short time i have been a citizen of the US, i have voted for both democratic and republican candidates in national elections. however, the kind of backward, atavistic belief system that privileges faith over science in matters of public policy is found only in the hard right republican circles. i reject that and have no use for that.  but that does not mean i think democratic politicians including the president are above playing to the gallery. clearly obama pandered at many points during the campaign, examples of which are being chameleonic in his speech patterns,  but NOT at the cost of abandoning his core political beliefs. romney OTOH lost because he pretended to be what he was not in his core, a hard right wingnut. i think romney might have been a decent president, perhaps even a good one, but instead of projecting himself like the new england republican he really was, he tried too hard to appeal to the lowest common denominator in the republican party. hence he lost.

hope that helps.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 21, 2014 9:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

i am not married to a particular ideology or politician like you imagine. in the short time i have been a citizen of the US, i have voted for both democratic and republican candidates in national elections. however, the kind of backward, atavistic belief system that privileges faith over science in matters of public policy is found only in the hard right republican circles. i reject that and have no use for that.  but that does not mean i think democratic politicians including the president are above playing to the gallery. clearly obama pandered at many points during the campaign, examples of which are being chameleonic in his speech patterns,  but NOT at the cost of abandoning his core political beliefs. romney OTOH lost because he pretended to be what he was not in his core, a hard right wingnut. i think romney might have been a decent president, perhaps even a good one, but instead of projecting himself like the new england republican he really was, he tried too hard to appeal to the lowest common denominator in the republican party. hence he lost.

hope that helps.

OK.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down